2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Did he get fined?

Outsports asked MLB for details on what kind of discipline was doled out, and when, but we did not receive any further clarification. Two MLB sources who asked not to be identified would only say Springer’s remark did not go unnoticed, and was addressed by the commissioner’s office. We reached out to the Astros for comment but did not receive a response as of press time.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Tyler better start hitting because Yordan hasn't stopped raking:

White’s the whipping boy, but I think Kemp is in more danger. They’re not going to roster 6 guys who are primarily outfielders, that allows them theoretically to semi-platoon White and Alvarez at DH, and Kemp is quietly off to a much worse start-at least White is getting on base.

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

That’s bizarre. It’s two games and, other than Arlington, the closest we’ll play to Houston all year.

Probably a carrot to teams (and the union) for going OOC.  I'd imagine it would be a pitcher and one who is already on the 40-man.

That’s bizarre. It’s two games and, other than Arlington, the closest we’ll play to Houston all year.

Yep. It’s a strange rule

A rule adopted under the 2011 collective bargaining agreement allows clubs to add a 26th man for scheduled doubleheaders and other special circumstances.

No restrictions are placed on choosing a player for a doubleheader and teams often do add a pitcher. Hinch only recently learned of the rule that forbids an extra pitcher on this international trip.

Probably a carrot to teams (and the union) for going OOC.  I'd imagine it would be a pitcher and one who is already on the 40-man.

I thought the same, but just trying to understand how that a team/union would really care about such a thing. Not much of a carrot in this particular situation but I can see how it would be beneficial for a longer trip (both in terms of distance and # of games).

Really weird about the restriction on no pitchers though.

We’ll see how the Astros feel about this trip if Straw gets the call up and starts at SS on Sunday.

Guys need to cool it on the “cold” talk.

it’s cold. That’s true
It’s also true these guys (Except maybe the Latin Americans) have played in as cold or colder many times in their lives. These guys also aren’t a bunch of pussies (well, most of them anyway)

Shut up about “tough play in these conditions.”