2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

14 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Tyler White career ops+ is 111

Yulis is 109.  

And White doesn’t cost us anything

How about  Hits with RISP?

selective stats are fun as fuck.

If White's so fucking great, then get something for him.  Jeffy's phone must be too hot to handle.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

How about  Hits with RISP?

selective stats are fun as fuck.

If White's so fucking great, then get something for him.  Jeffy's phone must be too hot to handle.

I’d rather upgrade both positions myself.  But if I had to choose between the two, I’d keep white.  He’s younger.  Cheaper.  And a better hitter statistically.  

12 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I’d rather upgrade both positions myself.  But if I had to choose between the two, I’d keep white.  He’s younger.  Cheaper.  And a better hitter statistically.  

White is cheaper.  That's the only spot you're right about.

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

You just said a .250 career hitter is better than a .288 career hitter.

You could point out that White homers and walks at a higher rate.  But then I'd point out that Yuli hits a shit ton more doubles and strikes out a lot less.  

White may or may not have potential to become a better hitter than Yuli.  But he absolutely has not been a better hitter to date.

Edited by TexArcher

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He's caught up in the launch angle shit trying to hit HR's instead of spraying the ball all over the field.

It has seemed all year like Altuve is trying to hit HRs. His approach seems different. 

His strikeouts are up (17% in 2019; 11% career); his contact rate is way down (78%; 87% career); on batted balls, his line drive % is down (17% vs 22%) and his fly ball % is up (38% vs 31%). 

His BABIP is .225 so far, and .338 for his career...that will come up, but he is hitting the ball differently. 

I like old Altuve. 

21 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Altuve will be fine.  Yuli is my biggest worry, as he's been awful and there's not much we can do about it unless we trade for someone like Abreu at the deadline.  

Smoak should be another target as well. Better defensively and gets on base.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Smoak should be another target as well. Better defensively and gets on base.

Yeah, he would be a good option and the Jays should be sellers.  I think they will and should make a move towards the deadline if things continue as they are.

Yes, either Abreu or Smoak would be an upgrade over Yuli - I was actually hoping for a move to acquire Smoak in the offseason (he seemed like he wouldn't cost much in the way of prospects). I'd be surprised if the club makes that sort of move, so I am mostly hoping Alvarez comes up in the next month or so and supplants White on the roster. 

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yuli will be fine. He's not a HR hitter but he leads the team in doubles. He also has the lowest strikeout rate on the roster. I think he's been more unlucky than awful. On the other hand, White has been awful.

Yuli will probably be better than he's been, but he's never been very good. 

Per Fangraphs, White has actually been better than Yuli thus far by wOBA, wRC+ and WAR. Certainly I am not arguing that White has been good - these numbers favor White because of his .377 OBP, which is great but a little misleading because he drew 2/3 of his season walk total in 3 games last week. So my point is more about how truly bad Yuli has been. 

1B and DH should be filled by productive offensive players; they are almost nightly black holes in the Astros' lineup (well, less so at DH lately, as White hasn't been playing as much). 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Yuli will be fine. He's not a HR hitter but he leads the team in doubles. He also has the lowest strikeout rate on the roster. I think he's been more unlucky than awful. On the other hand, White has been awful.

He's been slightly unlucky, but still very shitty (.299 xwOBA vs .287 wOBA), especially for a 1B.

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

1B and DH should be filled by productive offensive players; they are almost nightly black holes in the Astros' lineup (well, less so at DH lately, as White hasn't been playing as much). 

We really haven't developed a guy for one of those roles since Luhnow got here, which is strange.  There have been several guys who looked promising who have flamed out...Carter, Singleton, Reed, White for the most part.  Hopefully Alvarez works out.  The only decent production has come from Gattis, Yuli, and Marwin.

Edited by WBT

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

We really haven't developed a guy for one of those roles since Luhnow got here, which is strange.  There have been several guys who looked promising who have flamed out...Carter, Singleton, Reed, White for the most part.  Hopefully Alvarez works out.  The only decent production has come from Gattis, Yuli, and Marwin.

Yup...and usually you can get these guys on the cheap at this point. 

I think you nailed it - I think the plan has been for Singleton to take that spot, then Reed or White or JD Davis...and none worked out. Now the hope moves to Tucker (who I imagine they see more as an OF) or Alvarez. 

I think the club expected more from the failed prospects.