2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Chirinos might be the best catcher we’ve had.  I’m 42.  Factoring in offense and defense, he’s the best Astro catcher I’ve seen.  

I would have said Biggio if someone asked me this morning who had the best catcher season in Astros history.

Ausmus was great behind the plate but not great with the bat. Crazy Mitch Melusky was the opposite. Tony Eusebio is legend for other reasons.

2 minutes ago, APMP said:

I would have said Biggio if someone asked me this morning who had the best catcher season in Astros history.

Ausmus was great behind the plate but not great with the bat. Crazy Mitch Melusky was the opposite. Tony Eusebio is legend for other reasons.

Chirinos is having a better season hitting than Biggio ever did as a catcher. And Better than Meluskey.  He’s better defensively than both too. 

16 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Chirinos is having a better season hitting than Biggio ever did as a catcher. And Better than Meluskey.  He’s better defensively than both too. 

He’s always been a poor defensive catcher prior to this year. They worked with him a ton on framing in particular. Even now, the defensive metrics don’t love him-he’s just ok rather than awful. 

Edited by formermav43

13 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He’s always been a poor defensive catcher prior to this year. They worked with him a ton on framing in particular. Even now, the defensive metrics don’t love him-he’s just ok rather than awful. 

He’s rolling with a 2.8 WAR in mid June.  He’s having a hell of a year.  He’s on a real hot streak.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

He’s rolling with a 2.8 WAR in mid June.  He’s having a hell of a year.  He’s on a real hot streak.  

2.8 bWAR. 1.5 fWAR.

He’s definitely on a hot streak, having a great year, and he was a great signing. I’m thrilled with his play.

I’d just slow the roll on the “best catcher ever” stuff. Right now, his projection for the rest of the year has him right in line with 2013-16 Castro, 2017 McCann, and Stassi last year in terms of fWAR. His bat is better than theirs-and I think that skews the perception of his overall game, given the Astros’ history with hitting catchers and the relative offensive strength of the position overall- but they were all better defensively. As stated, his defensive play has actually been better than expected, though-he’s not a real liability there, just not an asset like those guys.

• Like 2