Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden

Parliament

The stuff with Biden’s son was sleazy and the kind of soft corruption everyone should reject but unfortunately this type of shit is more the norm than outlier and it doesn’t just happen with foreign companies.  Senators’ kids often get kushy jobs at the big money industries just trading off their parents political power. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

46 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The stuff with Biden’s son was sleazy and the kind of soft corruption everyone should reject but unfortunately this type of shit is more the norm than outlier and it doesn’t just happen with foreign companies.  Senators’ kids often get kushy jobs at the big money industries just trading off their parents political power. 

A photo has surfaced that shows former Vice President Joe Biden posing with his son Hunter and Devon Archer, who served with Hunter on the board of Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma Holdings, during a 2014 golf outing in the Hamptons.

Joe Biden, now a leading Democratic presidential candidate, told Fox News last month that he had never talked with his son about his foreign business interests.

“I have never spoken to my son about his overseas business dealings,” Biden said, before pivoting to President Trump. “I know Trump deserves to be investigated. He is violating every basic norm of a president. You should be asking him why is he on the phone with a foreign leader, trying to intimidate a foreign leader. You should be looking at Trump.”

Hunter told The New Yorker in July that he and his father had spoken about his overseas work “just once.”

biden-archer2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w

Ukraine (12978) – Treaty on Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters

Law Enforcement: Mutual Legal Assistance

Treaty signed at Kiev July 22, 1998; Transmitted by the President of the United States of America to the Senate  November 10, 1999 (Treaty Doc. 106-16, 106th Congress, 1st Session); Reported favorably by the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations September 27, 2000 (Senate Executive Report No. 106-24, 106th Congress, 2d Session); Advice and consent to ratification by the Senate October 18, 2000; Ratified by the President January 5, 2001; Ratified by Ukraine February 10, 2000; Ratifications exchanged February 27, 2001;  Entered into force February 27, 2001. With annex.

https://www.state.gov/12978

Edited by zork
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

It's incredible and bizarre how much Biden has wasted this opportunity to show toughness against Trump.   He's been missing layups left and right. 

I'm sorry, what toughness does Biden have ?  Or ever had for that matter.  He's never been a hard hitting politician. He's been strictly establishment.  Now he's just showing what a tired old man he is with no new ideas.

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Joe Biden’s campaign thus far has been a disaster and he’s still a front runner simply because he frightened Trump in the poll numbers month ago.

This is false, Hugo. 

Joe Biden is the front runner because he still commands a plurality of the black vote and the old vote - two very reliable voting blocs in the Democratic primary.   And they've been with him since he jumped in. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Joe Biden is the front runner because he still commands a plurality of the black vote and the old vote - two very reliable voting blocs in the Democratic primary.   And they've been with him since he jumped in. 

Yeah well most of that support due to perceived electability.   So whatever. 

FWIW, I could see the Kurd thing helping Biden particularly. Early in the Iraq War, he traveled their and spent time with Kurdish leaders. He advocated splitting Iraq into 3 territories with the Kurds getting one. I have no idea if that would have helped, but it’s a contrast to what ended up happening. He can speak to the Kurdish plight with some authority and passion, in contrast to Trump.

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Imagine launching your presidential campaign and your only initial selling point was “electability” against Donald Trump, the most corrupt and stupid president in American History.  

I can’t get over how dumb this strategy was from the beginning.

The typical arrogance of the democrat party.

2016: Hillary was a slam dunk 99.999% bank on it.  

2020: Bidens message seems to be "I'm not Trump".

Imagine launching your presidential campaign and your only initial selling point was “electability” against Donald Trump, the most corrupt and stupid president in American History.  
I can’t get over how dumb this strategy was from the beginning.

It’s a major selling point. And he is leading in the polls. I’m just not that convinced it’s true.

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It’s a major selling point. And he is leading in the polls. I’m just not that convinced it’s true.

It was a major selling point because he WAS leading in the polls.  

Basing your campaign around something as superficial and subject to change as your poll numbers a year before anyone votes is monumentally dumb because once someone overtakes you in the polls, your “electability” selling point and competitive advantage disintegrates.  People no longer have a reason to vote for you when a more “electable” candidate with a stronger campaign emerges. 

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It was a major selling point because he WAS leading in the polls.  

Basing your campaign around something as superficial and subject to change as your poll numbers a year before anyone votes is monumentally dumb because once someone overtakes you in the polls, your “electability” selling point and competitive advantage disintegrates.  People no longer have a reason to vote for you when a more “electable” candidate with a stronger campaign emerges. 

ImpartialGoldenCattle-size_restricted.gi

Not sure of the validity of this website, but thought it worth adding to the conversation:

https://www.ft.com/content/d4b9b0a8-eb14-11e9-a240-3b065ef5fc55

Michael Pillsbury, an informal White House adviser on China, said he received information about the business activities of Hunter Biden during a visit to Beijing in the same week Donald Trump urged China to probe the son of Joe Biden.

“I got a quite a bit of background on Hunter Biden from the Chinese,” Mr Pillsbury told the Financial Times.

Mr Trump came under heavy criticism last week after publicly urging China to investigate the Bidens in a move that mirrored his request to the Ukraine’s president in a July phone call that has sparked an impeachment inquiry.

Mr Pillsbury’s comments to the FT came after he revealed on Fox Business that he had raised the issue of the Bidens during a visit to China a week ago.

“I tried to bring up the topic in Beijing,” Mr Pillsbury told the television channel. “I’ve never seen them get so secretive in my entire life. They would discuss ICBM warheads sooner than talk about what Hunter Biden was doing in China with [former] vice-president Biden.”

Mr Pillsbury, a China hawk who was widely seen as far from the mainstream before the Trump administration came to power, shares a similar stance on China to Peter Navarro, a trade adviser to Mr Trump. At a press conference last year, Mr Trump said Mr Pillsbury was “probably the leading authority on China”.

Mr Pillsbury declined to say whether he was asked to raise the issue by the president. The White House did not respond to a request for comment.

Spoiler

Mr Trump has continued to push what most critics say are debunked conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden, in an effort to obtain comprising information on the son of Mr Biden, one of the frontrunners for the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination.

The president has faced intense scrutiny about his claims in the two weeks since a CIA whistleblower said Mr Trump had pressured President Volodymyr Zelensky for personal gain, in a move that led White House officials to “lock down” the transcript.

There is no public evidence that Hunter Biden did anything illegal in his business dealings in Ukraine or China. But some critics have said his father should have done more to ensure there was not the perception of a conflict of interest when he was vice-president.

Writing in the Washington Post, Mr Biden rejected any claim of wrongdoing, saying Mr Trump was “pushing flat-out lies, debunked conspiracy theories and smears against me and my family, no doubt hoping to undermine my candidacy for the presidency”.

Asked to provide details about the information he received from his Chinese contacts, Mr Pillsbury would only say that it related to a $1.5bn payment from the Bank of China. That figure matches the amount that Mr Trump last week claimed Hunter Biden received from China — a statement that has not been backed up with any evidence.

Edited by NWBuck

Whatever - let Biden keep imploding.

As long as the other Democrats running stay out of the weeds and use this to hammer Trump, it could work out great.

Gets Trump impeached, puts senate republicans on the record supporting a criminal president, and takes Biden out?

That’s a win win win, baby.

• immamac changed the title to Things seem to be going quite well for Joe Biden