TEXAS @ BAYLOR Series

petscii

I find watching this team aggravating most of time, with all the walks, pass balls, failed sacrifices, baserunning blinders, and mediocre outfield play.  It’s not clean baseball and not what I’m used to as a long time Texas baseball watcher.  I do appreciate the grit of this team and that’s what makes it watchable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

I find watching this team aggravating most of time, with all the walks, pass balls, failed sacrifices, baserunning blinders, and mediocre outfield play.  It’s not clean baseball and not what I’m used to as a long time Texas baseball watcher.  I do appreciate the grit of this team and that’s what makes it watchable. 

It's the football team all over again, right down to the finding ways to win part. That's why people are aggravated.

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's the football team all over again, right down to the finding ways to win part. That's why people are aggravated.

Post #287.....

Just an observation...... this past season, winning a football, basketball or baseball game is a Damn Marathon.

No games are easy.....

Thank God for Mike White and Women's Softball for their 8 (or 9) run rule victories this year...... 😳

25 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think the football team is comparable. They are often dominant but then fall apart in the fourth quarter and somehow win anyway. If Texas kept blowing 7 run leads in the 8th inning I could get behind them being like the football team.

8 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Lost in all this, while still having one WTF inning tonight, Blair Henley is 5-1. Hope he keeps it going and even get better for the remainder of the season.

He gave up his usual big inning, but really cut down on the free passes.

Edited by Machinator

Up to 16 in RPI and #4 SOS. 

The thing to keep in mind is that we're probably playing 3 of the top 5 Big 12 teams in the first 3 weekends of Big 12 play. K-State is 1-7 in the Big 12, Kansas is 1-5, WV is 3-5, and OU is 5-3. With 3 out of 4 of those series at home. 

The schedule is very favorable after this weekend. The only series we won't be heavy favorites after this weekend is @ Oklahoma State. 

• Like 2

these guys just don't quit.  Ford was huge tonight.  I hope they can keep up this ham and egg for the rest of the year.  they are very flawed but the fight their butts off.

Is college pitching just way worse this year?  I don't remember seeing so many walks/WP/HBP's

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

these guys just don't quit.  Ford was huge tonight.  I hope they can keep up this ham and egg for the rest of the year.  they are very flawed but the fight their butts off.

Is college pitching just way worse this year?  I don't remember seeing so many walks/WP/HBP's

Looking at the national stats we are 8th in drawing walks but 175th in allowing walks so it could just be us as far as walks go.

We are one of the worst at getting hit by pitches and we are pretty average as far as hitting batters.

I couldn't find any stats on Wild Pitches. So take that as you will.

Edited by Valmy77

7 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Looking at the national stats we are 8th in drawing walks but 175th in allowing walks so it could just be us.

The walks are pretty easy to explain. 71% of innings pitched are by underclassmen. We look like a young team on the mound. 

Also of note, our two best hitters by batting average are now the FR (Kennedy and Ford). The talent disparity between the FR and JR/SRs is fairly noticeable. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Armypilot said:

Anyone surprised two balls past McCann this inning?

Every game he is chasing a ball that gets by him.  It’s very costly 

No body will ever confuse McCann for a lazy person. They also won’t confuse him for an above average defensive catcher.

21 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's also only hitting .193. 

McCann is an auto out at the plate at this point. Hopefully, Peter is healthy soon. 

I never had high expectations for him at the plate  honestly and I think he’ll even out eventually to somewhere round .230. His defense is the concern with him in the lineup. His offensive output or lack of it is a known at this point.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

Watch the replay Not only is Eliis calling for it, he has a bead on it the whole way. Not giving way to the CF is doing stupid shit.

I'll take your word for it. You must have a much better stream than I do...

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's also only hitting .193. 

McCann is an auto out at the plate at this point. Hopefully, Peter is healthy soon. 

Surprised by such a poor average.  Last year McCann hit .265 and two seasons ago in 2017 he appeared in 43 games with 32 starts and hit .268

McCann has been beat up quite a bit this season.  Maybe he will get it turned around down the stretch run..... he did have a nice HR vs aggys. 🤘

Edited by LTtxfan

For AT&T U-Verse subscribers: My guide shows today's game to be on Channel 647 (otherwise known as Fox College Sports - Atlantic), it's an alternative instead of having to watch on Fox Sports Go, if you happen to have AT&T U-Verse.

I can't remember if that Channel 647 is an add-on Sports Pack channel or not. 

And there's no HD channel (like a channel 1647) for Channel 647, so it's only SD today for this game if you have that channel on U-Verse.

----I bet today's TV "broadcast" will probably be another "Bear Vision" abomination, but I just mute the TV and turn up the Longhorn Radio broadcast.  Having the radio call be ahead of the TV means I never miss important plays, heh.

Edited by BachelorTrek
Abomination Mention

11 hours ago, randygilman said:

I never had high expectations for him at the plate  honestly and I think he’ll even out eventually to somewhere round .230. His defense is the concern with him in the lineup. His offensive output or lack of it is a known at this point.

this.  he just needs to work his ass off improving his defense, practice bunting, work with pitchers.  The other guys need to pick up the pace on the hitting to cover for him(Zach Zubia, maybe?), unless one of them wants to try to play catcher.  its the most important defensive position on the field.

23 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this.  he just needs to work his ass off improving his defense, practice bunting, work with pitchers.  The other guys need to pick up the pace on the hitting to cover for him(Zach Zubia, maybe?), unless one of them wants to try to play catcher.  its the most important defensive position on the field.

Whole team needs to practice bunting. I don't care if we're a small ball team or not, there's no excuse for not being able to get a sac bunt down when you need one.