Prove Me Wrong: American Airlines is the worst domestic airline

Rougarou

55 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I have a question that's kinda related and doesn't warrant its own thread. But it was AA, so....I was in an aisle bulkhead seat and about an hour before landing, 2 hours after being in the air, flight attendant bitch comes up and tells me I need to switch seats with some lady in a middle seat in the back because she was having panic/anxiety issues. I wasn't ok with it, but I did it because I didn't know what else to do or want to cause a scene. I also didn't have a connection I was in danger of missing. But looking back, I think I should have told her to fuck right off. 

What say you? Was it within my right to tell flight cunt to fuck right off? Does that make me an absolute prick? I really don't care about being a prick. I try not to be, but commercial air travel is my living hell to begin with. I'd rather be on a Greyhound.  I really just want to know if I could have refused to do it. 

Maybe she should've thought ahead and not picked a shitty seat. 

46 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I think you were within your right to tell her no but then it possibly escalates if she gets annoyed that you are "not respecting her request", which really isn't a request.

Yeah I should've qualified, before calling her a bitch and cunt on here, that it was not a request and the flight attendant was in no way pleasant or nice in any way about asking me to move. Not even a "please" anywhere in there. Cunt. 

6 hours ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I have a question that's kinda related and doesn't warrant its own thread. But it was AA, so....I was in an aisle bulkhead seat and about an hour before landing, 2 hours after being in the air, flight attendant bitch comes up and tells me I need to switch seats with some lady in a middle seat in the back because she was having panic/anxiety issues. I wasn't ok with it, but I did it because I didn't know what else to do or want to cause a scene. I also didn't have a connection I was in danger of missing. But looking back, I think I should have told her to fuck right off. 

What say you? Was it within my right to tell flight cunt to fuck right off? Does that make me an absolute prick? I really don't care about being a prick. I try not to be, but commercial air travel is my living hell to begin with. I'd rather be on a Greyhound.  I really just want to know if I could have refused to do it. 

my honest question is why did they pick you? 

also did you pay anything extra for that seat? usually AA & Delta charge extra for emergency exit seats, bulkheads and sometimes even aisle seats.  So if you paid extra its an extra hell fucking no.

and unless they offered you something substantial to move, I would have kindly replied in the negative.  If that lady has anxiety that bad she knew it beforehand and has no fucking business ever flying again.

but then again, Im a fucking asshole.     I know I posted on the old site back when I lived in KC that I had a situation on a  AA flight where I had paid for an emergency exit row aisle seat and just as we are about to take off, flight attendent tells me this lady is freaking out because she really needs to sit near her kid who was sitting 1 row behind me in the non-emergency row middle seat  (kid looked to be 12/13). I asked where is she sitting and they tell me its 3 rows behind, in the middle seat beside 2 very large people.  Im big myself, so I declined.  you would have thought I was the devil incarnate. lady starts crying hysterically that she needs to be near her kid, wont sit down or shut up, and the whole flight is delayed because she wont stop balling.  BTW- kid didnt seem that phased, she was just sitting in her seat. No fucking idea why the flight attendants didnt just kick her and kid off the flight, but this was sometime around 06-08, not too many instances of being kicked of flights back then unless you actually threatened someone.      we were delayed for a while, and some busy body woman near me in the window seat said towards my direction, so I had to assume she was talking to me, "just trade seats with her" I kinda snapped and said, why dont you fucking switch, otherwise, shut the fuck up.   that went over well, now I am suddenly the bad guy.   finally someone close enough made the change and shut the hysterical lady up, but I was treated like a pariah by the attendants and my neighbors.. Didnt fucking care

• Like 1

Actually got to Charlotte early and didn't have to cross the airport.like I usually do We were in terminal c. The downside is they were delayed boarding our flight and right before we were about to push back a thunderstorm came in so we are stuck at the gate now. If we had boarded without that 30-45 min delay we would have been out of here.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:29 PM, Updawg said:

Actually got to Charlotte early and didn't have to cross the airport.like I usually do We were in terminal c. The downside is they were delayed boarding our flight and right before we were about to push back a thunderstorm came in so we are stuck at the gate now. If we had boarded without that 30-45 min delay we would have been out of here.

Ha, I was there, too, in the third world Terminal E, when that storm came through.

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Flying DFW to Las Vegas for the first time in 4 or 5 years this weekend. Exxtra Poors basic economy ticket. Any tips or just deal with it?

There's nothing you can do; they own your ass. Just apply some lube before you leave.

Edited by Longhornmaniac8

10 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
8 hours ago, RPM said:
Flying DFW to Las Vegas for the first time in 4 or 5 years this weekend. Exxtra Poors basic economy ticket. Any tips or just deal with it?

Wear compression stockings so you don't come home in a body bag.

Can I at least pick the color of said body bag?

1 hour ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Ha, I was there, too, in the third world Terminal E, when that storm came through.

There's nothing you can do; they own your ass. Just apply some lube before you leave.

There is but one redeeming thing about CLT.  That shoe shine place in front of the Admirals club in front of "C" concourse.  There are usually a couple of sweet Ethiopian girls who will go to work on those things,  (just tell them you want the "long time".) They feature hard wax and the blowtorch thingy.  Pure ecstasy every time!

Some mild weather in the NE really F'ed up my work trip to Bangor, ME this past week on United. I was flying IAH-EWR-BGR. The trip starts great, everything is on time, my bulkhead seat in economy plus is excellent, and none of my neighbors want to talk, and they are not fat. Immediately upon landing in Newark I receive a text from United that my flight to BGR is canceled due to weather. At this time it is sunny outside, but radar shows some cells making their way into the area.

To United's credit, they provide a link in the text that opens the app directly to alternative itinerary plans. With two simple clicks I can get on the 9:45 PM flight to Bangor. My coworker is not as quick, and the flight is full, and he is on standby. Fast forward a couple of hours and a few drinks in the United Club, and I get a second text informing me the 9:45 pm flight is canceled. Best I can do now is get on standby for the 10:30 am flight the following day.

I run over to the United Customer service Rep, but they have nothing. In between drinks I keep on checking back and maybe on my third or fourth try a seat opens to Portland at 9:45 PM and the rep gets me on it. Success! I now have to drive from Portland to the Canadian border town four-plus hours away in the morning for my meeting with the customer but whatever.

The meeting goes well on Thursday, and I am back in Bangor to enjoy a lobster on the waterfront. I check my flight status for the 6 am flight to IAH via EWR, and I see that the flight bringing the metal to BGR is canceled. Shit. I keep on refreshing to see if United will reroute something or maybe I should fly through ORD. I have another plane to catch at Hooks on Friday, and the pilot of that plane needs to leave no later than 2 pm. The ORD flight will cut that close.

United sends a plane from Greensboro arriving at Midnight, so everything seems okay. Upon waking up at four AM and taking a shower United send another damn text alerting me the flight is delayed until 11 AM because of crew rest. Thanks again to the useful link in the app I snag the last seat to ORD and make it to Houston at 2 pm. The pilot waited at Hooks, and I got to travel to beautiful Menard County.

I might be the first person to fly BGR to T50.

Edited by Telegraph_it

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

Some mild weather in the NE really F'ed up my work trip to Bangor, ME this past week on United. I was flying IAH-EWR-BGR. The trip starts great, everything is on time, my bulkhead seat in economy plus is excellent, and none of my neighbors want to talk, and they are not fat. Immediately upon landing in Newark I receive a text from United that my flight to BGR is canceled due to weather. At this time it is sunny outside, but radar shows some cells making their way into the area.

To United's credit, they provide a link in the text that opens the app directly to alternative itinerary plans. With two simple clicks I can get on the 9:45 PM flight to Bangor. My coworker is not as quick, and the flight is full, and he is on standby. Fast forward a couple of hours and a few drinks in the United Club, and I get a second text informing me the 9:45 pm flight is canceled. Best I can do now is get on standby for the 10:30 am flight the following day.

I run over to the United Customer service Rep, but they have nothing. In between drinks I keep on checking back and maybe on my third or fourth try a seat opens to Portland at 9:45 PM and the rep gets me on it. Success! I now have to drive from Portland to the Canadian border town four-plus hours away in the morning for my meeting with the customer but whatever.

The meeting goes well on Thursday, and I am back in Bangor to enjoy a lobster on the waterfront. I check my flight status for the 6 am flight to IAH via EWR, and I see that the flight bringing the metal to BGR is canceled. Shit. I keep on refreshing to see if United will reroute something or maybe I should fly through ORD. I have another plane to catch at Hooks on Friday, and the pilot of that plane needs to leave no later than 2 pm. The ORD flight will cut that close.

United sends a plane from Greensboro arriving at Midnight, so everything seems okay. Upon waking up at four AM and taking a shower United send another damn text alerting me the flight is delayed until 11 AM because of crew rest. Thanks again to the useful link in the app I snag the last seat to ORD and make it to Houston at 2 pm. The pilot waited at Hooks, and I got to travel to beautiful Menard County.

I might be the first person to fly BGR to T50.

Too much United talk. j/k.

Flying to CLE for a day then CLE-> ORD -> Decatur, Illinois via some Cessna company. I guess not enough people signed up so I got cancelled last minute and will now be driving the 3 hours from ORD to Decatur and visa versa.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:22 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Was the flight on time?  Was the lady possibly having a panic attack because she was worried about missing her connection? I see that kind of shit all the time. Sometimes when the flights are on time. Hell, sometimes people panic about their connections when the inbound flight is 20 minutes early. 

I find it odd that the FA would ask only you and not throw the request up to all 6 people (assuming its a narrowbody) in the bulkhead row....  "Hey, can anybody up here help us out..."

It sucks for people with actual problems, but flying has convinced me that most people requesting medical or other special help are just trying to game the system. You see it elsewhere, of course, but nowhere more so than the airport and airplanes. 

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Flying to CLE for a day then CLE-> ORD -> Decatur, Illinois via some Cessna company. I guess not enough people signed up so I got cancelled last minute and will now be driving the 3 hours from ORD to Decatur and visa versa.

Agreed. Flying to a small regional airport on any dba carrier has turned into an almost guaranteed cluster. If I hadn’t been quick on the app I’d probably still be stuck in Newark. 

CNBC:

LAS VEGAS- American Airlines is having a difficult summer. On top of seasonal storms, the airline has struggled with the months-long grounding of Boeing 737 Max planes and a protracted labor dispute with its mechanics that the carrier says has forced it to cancel hundreds of flights and caused long delays.

Operations have been improving but the Fort Worth-based airline is calling customers hit with travel disruptions to apologize, an executive said Tuesday.

"Certainly we've disappointed people," Kerry Philipovitch, American's senior vice president of customer experience, told reporters at an industry conference in Las Vegas.

The company's stock has lagged its peers this year and on Wednesday closed at $24.45, the lowest since it combined with US Airways in December 2013.

American's customer service team is reaching out to travelers who have faced multiple disruptions, even if they're "minor inconveniences that they wouldn't necessarily call us about." The airline has given out compensation, generally American's Aadvantage frequent flyer miles.

"We try to find them we try to call and do what we can to retain their loyalty," she said.

American fell to 9th place out of 10 airlines in the on-time arrival rankings in April, a spot it held onto until June, when it recovered to 7th place, according to the Department of Transportation.
American, like it's competitors Southwest and United has been faced with capacity constraints and have canceled thousands of flights since regulators grounded the 737 Max in mid-March after two fatal crashes.

Airlines are also bumping more travelers this summer compared with last with fewer aircraft to accommodate travelers. Philipovitch said American, which removed the plane from its schedules until early November, expects the plane to return to service in time for the busy Thanksgiving and Christmas travel period.

Boeing is preparing to deliver a software package to the Federal Aviation Administration in the coming weeks but neither the FAA nor other aviation authorities around the world have said when they expect to allow the planes to fly again.

18 hours ago, Rougarou said:

BMI, SPI, or CMI may save you 4+ hours in the car. 

Gardner, your post reminded me of something....

It's been a couple of years but one of our HR staffers was flying from IAH to Milwaukee and the flight landed in Chicago.  It was a through plane but everyone had to deplane.  So her flight arrived and continued from the same gate.  She missed the flight to Milwaukee.

Maybe this should go in the "HR people and stupid shit they say/do" thread

Edited by gecko

On 8/27/2019 at 11:08 AM, DallasGatr said:

There is but one redeeming thing about CLT.  That shoe shine place in front of the Admirals club in front of "C" concourse.  There are usually a couple of sweet Ethiopian girls who will go to work on those things,  (just tell them you want the "long time".) They feature hard wax and the blowtorch thingy.  Pure ecstasy every time!

I got that a couple of weeks back.  She used old panty hose on my shoes.

On 8/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, mdmost said:

I would've answered back that you get extreme claustrophobia sitting in a middle seat and that's why you specifically buy the aisle seat for the extra room and ability to get up and walk around to calm your anxiety.  

I think you were within your right to tell her no but then it possibly escalates if she gets annoyed that you are "not respecting her request", which really isn't a request.

I would do it in the altruistic spirit of being a good person. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Yeah I should've qualified, before calling her a bitch and cunt on here, that it was not a request and the flight attendant was in no way pleasant or nice in any way about asking me to move. Not even a "please" anywhere in there. Cunt. 

“Had you asked nicely, sure. So...NO”

3 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

There is a crazy lady on our plane. For real. She is flying to some clinic for some kind of psychiatric treatment and is apparently being belligerent.

She is in the back so I can’t see it.

However the FA just asked me to be available to back him up if he has to take action and help control her. emoji15.png

lol f that. 

I swear to god I hate you “people”. I have over 2 million actual miles in the last 20 years. 

You are fucking cattle. Get over it. You have no rights. 

I am racist. I hate tourists. You stand in the middle of a concourse and stare at shit. I hate summer time cause those “people” seem to get more abundant. 

Thank god Parker changed upgrade system on AA and now most of my last minute flights get upgraded so I don’t have to sit with the “unwashed masses” in back. 

In other words quit fucking up my world. 

Edited by Shaddie

27 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

There is a crazy lady on our plane. For real. She is flying to some clinic for some kind of psychiatric treatment and is apparently being belligerent.

She is in the back so I can’t see it.

However the FA just asked me to be available to back him up if he has to take action and help control her. emoji15.png

Happens more than you’d imagine. 

I swear to god I hate you “people”. I have over 2 million actual miles in the last 20 years. 
I am racist. I hate tourists. You stand in the middle of a concourse and stare at shit. I hate summer time cause those “people” seem to get more abundant. 
Thank god Parker changed upgrade system on AA and now most of my last minute flights get upgraded so I don’t have to sit with the “unwashed masses” in back. 

497f680b0b32363ca6b80bedf8c94b25.gif

53 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

I like people but I hate the public. I get it. 

On 8/27/2019 at 4:20 PM, TornACL said:

Was the flight on time?  Was the lady possibly having a panic attack because she was worried about missing her connection? I see that kind of shit all the time. Sometimes when the flights are on time. Hell, sometimes people panic about their connections when the inbound flight is 20 minutes early. 

I find it odd that the FA would ask only you and not throw the request up to all 6 people (assuming its a narrowbody) in the bulkhead row....  "Hey, can anybody up here help us out..."

It sucks for people with actual problems, but flying has convinced me that most people requesting medical or other special help are just trying to game the system. You see it elsewhere, of course, but nowhere more so than the airport and airplanes. 

I got asked once, replied back in some bullshit portuguese with a goofy look and they moved on to the next victim.  On the way out, smarty stewardess said "ciao", I said "See ya later!"

• Like 1

American Airlines passengers’ shock as traveller takes miniature HORSE onto flight

https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/9844225/american-airlines-horse-service-animal/

Figures the flight was going to Nebraska.    But when does this insanity stop?

Edited by Nueces River Rat

5 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Like his name?

No...I don't like his name.  It's too long....

Back on the subject....the reporterettes on TV make it sound like the pilots noticed the error message as they were powering down the runway and they had to "abort".  When exactly in the departure sequence would the pilot have noticed the error?

Edited by gecko