Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Can't quite put my finger on it, but that Bronn scene felt off.  Like the actor wasn't quite sure how to play it.  Or we were watching a rehearsal with the actors quickly running through their lines. What specifically pissed you off about it?

The location of it maybe?

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Can't quite put my finger on it, but that Bronn scene felt off.  Like the actor wasn't quite sure how to play it.  Or we were watching a rehearsal with the actors quickly running through their lines. What specifically pissed you off about it?

most likely because that scene made no sense and does nothing to advance any plots.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

So a bunch of the main plot details for the rest of the episodes have leaked. Be careful reading out there if you don't want to be spoiled

Are they legit or just trolling? I’m not gonna look but wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of disinformation out there 

7 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Are they legit or just trolling? I’m not gonna look but wouldn’t be surprised to see a lot of disinformation out there 

They're from sources that have nailed lots of the stuff this season already

7 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Perhaps I'm not interneting right, but I can't find them.  Care to lead a brother in the right direction?

be careful what you ask for.  you may not like what you find.

pm me.  i don't want to piss off anyone by posting a link, even with spoiler tags.

Edited by crash_davis

6 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I think the scene with Bronn pissed me off more than anything else, but gotdamn 90% of the episode was a beating.

Why do you have a problem with Bronn waltzing into Winterfell uncontested, being an unrepentant asshole to two people he's risked his life for even when money wasn't on the line, and then exits stage left like his scene in the high school play was done? But seriously, though, that scene felt so out of place.

3 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Why do you have a problem with Bronn waltzing into Winterfell uncontested, being an unrepentant asshole to two people he's risked his life for even when money wasn't on the line, and then exits stage left like his scene in the high school play was done? But seriously, though, that scene felt so out of place.

Yep.  It's clear that Dumb & Dumber have no idea what to do with Bronn, but they know he's a crowd favorite and they've given him such a prominent role in past seasons that he just has to be in there somewhere. 

And as if the episode was pants-on-head-retarded enough, just remember that literally every single thing in that episode after the feast could have been avoided going by what Dumb & Dumber established in episode three.  Bran could easily have told Dany/Jon "Uh, yeah.  Maybe don't fly near Dragonstone.  Pirate Fuckboi is hanging out there with a bunch of heat-seeking harpoons."  And, of course, why should Dany and Jon go south to deal with Cersei at all?  They've got a goddamn nuke in the form of Arya Stark.  She just murked an 8000 year old ice demon who could raise the dead.  It would be child's play for her to waltz into King's Landing and murder Cersei, Qyburn, the Mountain, and every other fucking person without breaking a sweat.

I don't understand why people on this thread care about spoilers. I mean we all read the books, which are the ultimate spoilers. And if GRRM had actually, you know, cared enough to finish the series we would have read those too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hornian said:

I don't understand why people on this thread care about spoilers. I mean we all read the books, which are the ultimate spoilers. And if GRRM had actually, you know, cared enough to finish the series we would have read those too. 

i think it is a bit of a unique experience to have media based on existing material have to finish the existing material before that is actually finished. as such, we are all in the same boat, if you will, on the ending. we don't want it spoiled. 

in most things, the good guys win, at least nominally, even if the good guys are bad guys, like john wick or the like.

and i think that's part of this journey for most of the tv audience. we've been through tv hell, the red wedding, sansa's rape, all the victories by the bad guys. so we are all holding out for some kind of a win, but we don't want to know what it is, even if we would have read the books and known it already.

but man, these writers are making a bit of a hash out of it. just throw all the shit in the pan and hope it comes together. i posted something similar on the other thread, but i think that's why george cannot finish the books. he cannot seem to bring the story home, and he's left these guys to have to do it. and i think that the writers are taking some undue criticism for it. shit, if the guy who conceived the story cannot finish the damn thing, then who else could be expected to do so?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hornian said:

Also, Seasons 7 and 8 are pretty meh seasons at this point. I just don't care enough anymore to not be spoiled. Big whoop.

• Like 2

i think that's why george cannot finish the books. he cannot seem to bring the story home, and he's left these guys to have to do it. and i think that the writers are taking some undue criticism for it. shit, if the guy who conceived the story cannot finish the damn thing, then who else could be expected to do so?

Absolutely.

I think he didn’t get it out in time, and now he has fan feedback and reputation and the self-doubt is crippling. I don’t think he even knows if the good guys win or if they die. Do characters make it with a hero’s redemption arc or do they get cut down because that’s life?

There’s a interview with Stephen King a couple years ago where GRRM wants to know how he writes so fast. King writes pages every morning, even if it’s shit and he hates it and rewrites, he puts something down on paper. He has enough out there that people criticize his work and his endings and he doesn’t really care. People think the books are better than the screenplays or vice versa. Some are winners some flop. It doesn’t matter to him anymore.

This is all GRRM feels he has. It’s what he is known for. He had awards for Novellas and short stories, but hadn’t written or wrapped his epic before it started winning big prizes including the screen adaptation Emmys. If he had the discipline to write everyday he could have written 3 or 4 conclusions, sent them to editors and burned the losers. But he didn’t he wrote himself into a corner started smelling his own farts then realized there was a 50/50 chance he’d shit his pants, so the last 8 years he’s been standing in the corner afraid to move.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Absolutely.

I think he didn’t get it out and time, and now he has fan feedback and reputation and the self-doubt is crippling. I don’t think he even knows of the good guys win or if they die. Do characters make it with a hero’s redemption arc or do they get cut down because that’s life?

There’s a interview with Stephen King a couple years ago where GRRM wants to know how he writes so fast. King writes pages every morning, even if it’s shit and he hates it and rewrites, he puts something down on paper. He has enough out there that people criticize his work and his endings and he doesn’t really care. People think the books are better than the screenplays or vice versa. Some are winners some flop. It doesn’t matter to him anymore.

This is all GRRM feels he has. It’s what he is known for. He had awards for Novellas and short stories, but hadn’t written or wrapped his epic before it started winning big prizes including the screen adaptation Emmys. If he had the discipline to write everyday he could have written 3 or 4 conclusions, sent them to editors and burned the losers. But he didn’t he wrote himself into a corner started smelling his own farts then realized there was a 50/50 chance he’d shit his pants, so the last 8 years he’s been standing in the corner afraid to move.

he's a big fan of the show, and he's sympathetic to the plight of the writers as well.

-Cersei's character would have murdered Tyrion there.  She's been trying to murder him for 5 seasons now.  She has no reason not to have the soldiers shoot him.  She's already killed Missandei and ended negotations.

-Cersei has no reason not to attack Dany's small party of 50 soldiers right then and there and (in her mind) end the war and save her throne.

-Jon wouldn't ignore Ghost for 3 seasons and then fail to say goodbye.

-Jamie's character arc makes no sense, regardless what he's attempting to do in King's Landing.

-Dragons are worthless.

I hate this show, and now view everything after about season 5 to be absolute garbage.

Edited by fellside
  • Like 3

I did not read every post made in here and very few in the illiterati thread but just found out something I did not know until now. Chris Stapleton was in Ep 3, as a wildling that got resurrected when the NK did his magic arms. He was one of the ones they showed open the blue eyes.

8 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Also, Seasons 7 and 8 are pretty meh seasons at this point. I just don't care enough anymore to not be spoiled. Big whoop.

Without canon to draw from the writers at least had some story arcs with momentum from which to base season 7. Season 8 seems to be what happens when those arcs hit the ground and shatter since the writers apparently have no idea how to arrange  a few well conceived landings and plot twists  on their own.  

The Long Night was tactically stupid and trite with only the main characters left standing or dying in the end, but at least it was intense and riveting. Anything involving character interaction has been pure shite, and a pointless beating. 

The only thing that makes a tiny bit of sense for symballic reasons is Jon saying goodbye to Ghost because he's subconsciously letting go of his Stark side and embrassing his Targaryen side. We see this again when he's moving the army pieces down to Kingslanding and includes the Targaryen piece that was supposed to represent Dany. 

10 minutes ago, Viper said:

The only thing that makes a tiny bit of sense for symballic reasons is Jon saying goodbye to Ghost because he's subconsciously letting go of his Stark side and embrassing his Targaryen side. We see this again when he's moving the army pieces down to Kingslanding and includes the Targaryen piece that was supposed to represent Dany. 

I'm pretty sure that dire wolf/Stark symbology is no longer holding form, unless we're saying there's no "Starks" left at all given that Sansa let her own dire wolf get killed back in the first season. 

Edited by Captain Obvious

You know, thinking it over, the way Cersei executed Missandei made no sense.  There's no way Cersei expected Dany to surrender because she threatened one servant.  Cersei's real motivation would have been to provoke an attack from the Unsullied and make Dany look like a ruthless conqueror.

It would have felt much truer to have Qyburn torture the shit out of Missandei on that wall, just slowly spill her guts while she screamed in agony.  They could really drag it out until Grey Worm can't take it and charges the wall solo, taking arrows from the archers.  Then as he's going down, he hurls a spear to put Missandei out of her misery, only to have The Mountain step forward to snatch it out of the air.  Grey Worm dies in front of the gates listening to Missandei scream.  That shit would have created some tension for next week.

So, I think we should start speculating about what the "bullet points" are the GRRM gave the writers, and compare what they did with those from what he will probably do:

This is my thoughts:

1. Ramsey Bolton marries a Stark girl
    1. Show: Sansa
    2. Books: Fake Arya
  2. Ramsey Bolton gets taken out by the North/the Vale:
    1. Show: Sansa saves the Day
    2. Books: Probably Northern Conspiracy Saves the day, Sansa probably does get the Vale involved I would assume (to get her back to Winterfell)
  3. Wall comes down to let white walkers/wights south 
    1. Show: Reanimated dragon after the magnificent 7 rescue mission melts the wall
    2. Books: Probably Horn of Joramun blown by someone who is trying to avenge Mance's death
  4. Jon finds out his parents are R+L
    1. Show: Sam the Man (really, Gilly) figures it out, tells Jon with Bran
    2. Books: Probably Howland F'n Reed shows up and is like "Sup Aegon, I mean Jon." Bran is like "it's true, you know."
  5. Battle of Winterfell
    1. Show: Arya saves the day
    2. Books: Arya probably saves the day, but more in character than super ninja
  6. Someone with a better claim to the throne pushes Dany to be the Mad Queen
    1. Show: Jon
    2. Books: Griff
  7. Dany loses a dragon to Euron's fleet
    1. Show: Magic Scorpion Bolts
    2. Books: Probably the dragon binding horn from Assai
  8. The Prince who was promised
    1. Show: Psych! We don't GAF
    2. Books: I'm going to go with Thujone's wife's theory - it's Tyrion and his mind, who ends feudalism in Westeros after Dany/Cersie/Jon/etc. are all dead
  9. Who sits on the Iron Throne
    1. Show: Probably some fan favorite just to do fan service
    2. Books: Probably see answer to 8 above

Anything else?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hornian said:

So, I think we should start speculating about what the "bullet points" are the GRRM gave the writers, and compare what they did with those from what he will probably do:

This is my thoughts:

1. Ramsey Bolton marries a Stark girl
    1. Show: Sansa
    2. Books: Fake Arya
  2. Ramsey Bolton gets taken out by the North/the Vale:
    1. Show: Sansa saves the Day
    2. Books: Probably Northern Conspiracy Saves the day, Sansa probably does get the Vale involved I would assume (to get her back to Winterfell)
  3. Wall comes down to let white walkers/wights south 
    1. Show: Reanimated dragon after the magnificent 7 rescue mission melts the wall
    2. Books: Probably Horn of Joramun blown by someone who is trying to avenge Mance's death
  4. Jon finds out his parents are R+L
    1. Show: Sam the Man (really, Gilly) figures it out, tells Jon with Bran
    2. Books: Probably Howland F'n Reed shows up and is like "Sup Aegon, I mean Jon." Bran is like "it's true, you know."
  5. Battle of Winterfell
    1. Show: Arya saves the day
    2. Books: Arya probably saves the day, but more in character than super ninja
  6. Someone with a better claim to the throne pushes Dany to be the Mad Queen
    1. Show: Jon
    2. Books: Griff
  7. Dany loses a dragon to Euron's fleet
    1. Show: Magic Scorpion Bolts
    2. Books: Probably the dragon binding horn from Assai
  8. The Prince who was promised
    1. Show: Psych! We don't GAF
    2. Books: I'm going to go with Thujone's wife's theory - it's Tyrion and his mind, who ends feudalism in Westeros after Dany/Cersie/Jon/etc. are all dead
  9. Who sits on the Iron Throne
    1. Show: Probably some fan favorite just to do fan service
    2. Books: Probably see answer to 8 above

Anything else?

Show: Mance burned at the stake but for Jon's arrow. Tormund kills Lord of Bones at Hardhome.

Books: Mance takes over the body of Lord of Bones.

17 hours ago, bamachine said:

Chris Stapleton was in Ep 3, as a wildling that got resurrected when the NK did his magic arms. He was one of the ones they showed open the blue eyes.

I just googled it, and apparently the guy's a country singer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bojack said:

Show: Mance burned at the stake but for Jon's arrow. Tormund kills Lord of Bones at Hardhome.

Books: Mance takes over the body of Lord of Bones.

what? The lord of bones is dead in the books and Mance has his own body

Edited by Viper

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

what? The lord of bones is dead in the books.

Melisandre pulls some shenanigans and switches them before Mance was burned.  It was muddled as shit in the books and was just as well left out since it probably wasn't going anywhere anyway. 

A Dance with Dragons

Jon Snow, now Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, hears rumors that Stannis Baratheon intends to grant lands and castles to Rattleshirt and Sigorn.[11] Stannis and his red priestess, Melisandre, execute Mance for desertion from the Night's Watch and for trying to destroy the Wall with the Horn of Joramun.[4] Before and while being burned in a cage, Mance denies being King-Beyond-the-Wall. Jon has his archers kill Mance to end his suffering.[4]

After the Lord of Bones submits to Stannis,[4] Melisandre controls the wildling raider with a magical ruby on his wrist.[12]Stannis assigns him to serve the Lord Commander,[12] and Rattleshirt surprisingly defeats Jon in a sparring session.[13]Melisandre later tasks Rattleshirt with rescuing a girl she believes to be Jon's sister, Arya Stark. Jon is shocked to learn that Melisandre glamored Mance and Rattleshirt to each appear as the other, with the Lord of Bones actually the man burned in Melisandre's cage.[14] Now using the name Abel, Mance travels with spearwives to rescue Arya from Ramsay Bolton at Winterfell.[15]

10 hours ago, fuggled said:

You know, thinking it over, the way Cersei executed Missandei made no sense.  There's no way Cersei expected Dany to surrender because she threatened one servant.  Cersei's real motivation would have been to provoke an attack from the Unsullied and make Dany look like a ruthless conqueror.

It would have felt much truer to have Qyburn torture the shit out of Missandei on that wall, just slowly spill her guts while she screamed in agony.  They could really drag it out until Grey Worm can't take it and charges the wall solo, taking arrows from the archers.  Then as he's going down, he hurls a spear to put Missandei out of her misery, only to have The Mountain step forward to snatch it out of the air.  Grey Worm dies in front of the gates listening to Missandei scream.  That shit would have created some tension for next week.

It does make some sense. Cersei (for poor writing purposes) knows Dany because Dany is just like she is.

• Both of them grew up in a bit of a paradox, belonging to prestigious families with sky-high expectations but at the same time sidelined for being women. Cersei bucked against this and resented it, while Dany more or less stayed in line until she married Drogo.
  • Both of them didn’t really come into their own power until they married, and each of them ended up wielding individual power after the deaths of their husbands.
  • Speaking of their husbands, both of them are directly responsible for their husbands’ demises, willfully or not.
  • Both of them have come to power violently at various points, and after being cornered and humiliated — for Dany it was her capture by the Dothraki and burning all the khals, and for Cersei it was her Walk of Shame and blowing up the sept.
  • Both of them faced and in turn overcame various levels of opposition, it’s just that Dany’s looked worse to our eyes while Cersei’s was comparably “good.” They’re long-term survivors.
  • Both of them have lost children.
  • Both of them are fearful of losing power and of being displaced, and both of them have fairly stark, black-and-white, with-me-or-against-me mentalities.
  • Both of them have found security in seemingly invincible shields or protectors — for Dany it’s her dragons, for Cersei it’s UnGregor.
  • Both of them are after the throne because they want it. Cersei has always been up front about wanting power for its own sake, while Dany dresses up her desire for power in a savior complex, like she’s practicing altruism. But the mask fell off Dany in the last episode: “What happens when they demand you press your claim and take what is mine?”

What Cersei is doing is exactly what Tyrion wanted to do to Cersei:

The longer Cersei waits, the angrier she'll become, and anger makes her stupid. I much prefer angry and stupid to composed and cunning.

Cersei needs Dany to attack now and not listen to her advisers telling her to wait. Waiting makes a ton of sense. Waiting means food runs out in Kingslanding and the people turn on the Cersei just like they did to Joffrey. Especially with no Tyrells coming in with food from the Reach. Once that happens, Dany can just take the city like she took Meereen, only this time she has Varys and Davos who know the city and all the secret ways in and out. Cersei's army is the Golden Company who are paid mercenaries. Waiting means Cersei starts running out of money to pay them. Lastly waiting gives Dany's army time to recuperate and gather strength, while Cersei's will lose strength. 

But it's obvious Dany is going to hurry and refuse to wait. Partly because Cersei has made her mad and partly I think because of Jon. She wants to be sitting on the Iron Throne before everyone finds out he has a better claim than she does.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bojack said:

Melisandre pulls some shenanigans and switches them before Mance was burned.  It was muddled as shit in the books and was just as well left out since it probably wasn't going anywhere anyway. 

No she doesn't. She glamours Mance to look like Rattleshirtand vice versa, she doesn't change their bodies or anything like that. Mance can look like Mance when he wants to just like Melisandre can look like her old hag self when she wants to.

1 hour ago, Viper said:

It does make some sense. Cersei (for poor writing purposes) knows Dany because Dany is just like she is.

• Both of them grew up in a bit of a paradox, belonging to prestigious families with sky-high expectations but at the same time sidelined for being women. Cersei bucked against this and resented it, while Dany more or less stayed in line until she married Drogo.
  • Both of them didn’t really come into their own power until they married, and each of them ended up wielding individual power after the deaths of their husbands.
  • Speaking of their husbands, both of them are directly responsible for their husbands’ demises, willfully or not.
  • Both of them have come to power violently at various points, and after being cornered and humiliated — for Dany it was her capture by the Dothraki and burning all the khals, and for Cersei it was her Walk of Shame and blowing up the sept.
  • Both of them faced and in turn overcame various levels of opposition, it’s just that Dany’s looked worse to our eyes while Cersei’s was comparably “good.” They’re long-term survivors.
  • Both of them have lost children.
  • Both of them are fearful of losing power and of being displaced, and both of them have fairly stark, black-and-white, with-me-or-against-me mentalities.
  • Both of them have found security in seemingly invincible shields or protectors — for Dany it’s her dragons, for Cersei it’s UnGregor.
  • Both of them are after the throne because they want it. Cersei has always been up front about wanting power for its own sake, while Dany dresses up her desire for power in a savior complex, like she’s practicing altruism. But the mask fell off Dany in the last episode: “What happens when they demand you press your claim and take what is mine?”

What Cersei is doing is exactly what Tyrion wanted to do to Cersei:

Cersei needs Dany to attack now and not listen to her advisers telling her to wait. Waiting makes a ton of sense. Waiting means food runs out in Kingslanding and the people turn on the Cersei just like they did to Joffrey. Especially with no Tyrells coming in with food from the Reach. Once that happens, Dany can just take the city like she took Meereen, only this time she has Varys and Davos who know the city and all the secret ways in and out. Cersei's army is the Golden Company who are paid mercenaries. Waiting means Cersei starts running out of money to pay them. Lastly waiting gives Dany's army time to recuperate and gather strength, while Cersei's will lose strength. 

But it's obvious Dany is going to hurry and refuse to wait. Partly because Cersei has made her mad and partly I think because of Jon. She wants to be sitting on the Iron Throne before everyone finds out he has a better claim than she does.

Good post. 

I wil ldisagree with those who think it would be in Cersei's character to just kill Tyrion on the spot.  She would absolutely listen, with the intent to make him suffer at some point.

The question I have is did Dany think through making Gendry a Baratheon? Because he now has a claim to the throne too (along with a ninja assassin girlfriend). And if she was legitimizing Gendry for his service, why didn't she legitimize Jon as a Stark for his much superior service? It was before everyone knew he was a Targaryen, it's what Jon has always wanted so he probably wouldn't turn it down and it would've thrown a wrench into anyone saying he has a better claim than she does. Plus it puts him in potential conflict with Sansa for control of Winterfell.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Viper said:

The question I have is did Dany think through making Gendry a Baratheon? Because he now has a claim to the throne too (along with a ninja assassin girlfriend). And if she was legitimizing Gendry for his service, why didn't she legitimize Jon as a Stark for his much superior service? It was before everyone knew he was a Targaryen, it's what Jon has always wanted so he probably wouldn't turn it down and it would've thrown a wrench into anyone saying he has a better claim than she does. Plus it puts him in potential conflict with Sansa for control of Winterfell.

I had the same thoughts.  On the other hand, legitimizing Gendry probably weakens Cercei's claim the most, as far as those things go.  She's sitting in the Baratheon seat with no claim to it.   And the Baratheon claim was always considered weaker than any Targ claim.  I can buy that she's not concerned about a Baratheon who has bent the knee to her.

As far as Jon, perhaps it could backfire. Does legitimizing him as a Stark necessarily erase his legitimate Targ status or just his bastardy?   Legit Stark + legit Targ would arguably equal even stronger support for his claim. 

30 minutes ago, Viper said:

That was a "I'm the damn queen" move.  It wasn't about deservign anything.