Frankenpig

Walden Ponderer

Scientists Restore Some Function In The Brains Of Dead Pigs

pigbrain_wide-20e088c72a322d884295394910

The image on the left shows the brains of pigs that were untreated for 10 hours after death, with neurons appearing as green, astrocytes as red and cell nuclei as blue. The image on the right shows cells in the same area of brains that, four hours after death, were hooked up to a system that the Yale University researchers call BrainEx.

Stefano G. Daniele and Zvonimir Vrselja, Sestan Laboratory, Yale School of Medicine

The brains of dead pigs have been somewhat revived by scientists hours after the animals were killed in a slaughterhouse.

The Yale University research team is careful to say that none of the brains regained the kind of organized electrical activity associated with consciousness or awareness. Still, the experiment described Wednesday in the journal Nature showed that a surprising amount of cellular function was either preserved or restored.

The implications of this study have staggered ethicists, as they contemplate how this research should move forward and how it fits into the current understanding of what separates the living from the dead.

"It was mind-blowing," says Nita Farahany, who studies the ethics of emerging technologies at Duke Law School. "My initial reaction was pretty shocked. It's a groundbreaking discovery, but it also really fundamentally changes a lot of what the existing beliefs are in neuroscience about the irreversible loss of brain function once there is deprivation of oxygen to the brain."

The brain is extremely sensitive to a lack of oxygen and shuts down quickly. But researchers have long known that viable cells can be removed from post-mortem brains hours after death, says Nenad Sestan, a neuroscientist at the Yale School of Medicine in New Haven, Conn.

Sort of related.  Something to look forward to?

When you die ‘you KNOW you’re dead because your brain keeps working’, scientist claims A new study suggests your consciousness carries on after your heart stops beating

Edited by clapclapclap
Is the head dead yet? You know, the boys in the newsroom got a running bet
  • Fuck You 1

16 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Frankly, I'm just glad I survived day one of the Zombie Pigpocalypse. But I'm not holding out much hope once we have to start facing off against the vampire pigs. Those bastards are bad news.

giphy.gif

That has got to be the most horrifying thing I have ever seen. What the FUCK is that from?

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

That has got to be the most horrifying thing I have ever seen. What the FUCK is that from?

Le Cochon Danseur (English: The Dancing Pig) is a silent, 4 minutes long, black-and-white burlesque film released in 1907 by French company Pathé, apparently based on a Vaudeville act.