mycox

Vote for the referendum   

146 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the referendum

2. 2. If your vote is yes

• year-round standard time
    • year-round daylight saving time

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is keep it like it is now going to be an option?

Yes, that would be making Daylight Saving permanent. I don't think this proposal has passed the senate yet so it's not for sure going to be on the ballot.

Just now, David Dennison said:

That's not what we have now. I don't mind springing forward and falling back. Will that option be on the ballot?

Sorry. I misunderstood. I believe there will be 2 questions. The first will be if you want to keep the status quo or if you want to adopt 1 time all year around. If the majority want the status quo than the 2nd question becomes moot. 

Wait, is this all an elaborate ploy to sell beer an hour earlier on Sunday to piss off the Baptists?  Do they even have clocks or is that against the word of the Lord?  

12 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

While I love the idea of full daylight savings in theory, it would get really old trying to figure out what time it is in other parts of the country. I’m sure you’d get used to it, and it’s not rocket surgery, but I’d prefer the whole country to go one way or the other. 

Yup, agree 100%.    

If the big states can agree (Texas, California, Illinois, New York) the rest of the country will follow. I suggest a national referendum in 2020 with each state (or at least a supermajority) agreeing in advance to follow the result. The whole point of time zones was to make rail schedules easier to understand. Modern commerce also needs reliability, simplicity, and uniformity. I doubt that many states will be putting this on ballots soon but the fact that they’re talking about it means it will come to a head in a few years and there will need to be a national discussion on what to do.

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Wait, is this all an elaborate ploy to sell beer an hour earlier on Sunday to piss off the Baptists?  Do they even have clocks or is that against the word of the Lord?  

They are also considering a bill that would allow the sale of beer and wine to begin at 10am rather than noon.

Oh, and another bill to amendment allowing craft breweries to sell beer to-go from their taprooms.

I'm sure the Senate will fuck this up though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mycox said:

They are also considering a bill that would allow the sale of beer and wine to begin at 10am rather than noon.

Oh, and another bill to amendment allowing craft breweries to sell beer to-go from their taprooms.

I'm sure the Senate will fuck this up though.

One bill - sell liquor in church.  Trust me, there have been times I could really have used it.

• Haha 1

If they ask Texans whether they want Daylight or Standard year 'round, the average Texan will have no clue which is which.  Probably a 50/50 chance someone will vote what they want. The ballot is going to have to spell out which one is summer and which one winter.

I see mistakes in business invites all the time.  Today some very smart people discussed, over email,  meeting times next week as CST when it should be CDT. no, I'm not that guy that calls them out about it.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If they ask Texans whether they want Daylight or Standard year 'round, the average Texan will have no clue which is which.  Probably a 50/50 chance someone will vote what they want. The ballot is going to have to spell out which one is summer and which one winter.

I see mistakes in business invites all the time.  Today some very smart people discussed, over email,  meeting times next week as CST when it should be CDT. no, I'm not that guy that calls them out about it.

Saw this same thing last week from one of our Directors. I almost pointed it out to her but why bother.

47 minutes ago, BB65 said:

No like set the clock back 30 minutes from DST of if in ST set it ahead 30 minutes

That's what I meant, they are offset by a half hour. Which causes all kinds of confusion, "what do you mean it's 4:23? It's 2:53 here. How the hell is 23 after the hour?

I used to work with someone out of Newfoundland, that 30 minutes screwed with everyone.

• 1 month later...
But if every state decides on their own time, how the hell are you supposed to keep up with that?
Just like we do right now. Arizona doesn't have daylight savings time, except for the Indian reservations which do. Some of Indiana has daylight savings, some doesn't and Indiana is on multiple time zones.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

The federal government can fuck right off.  See 10th Amendment.

I'm a fan of the 10th amendment.  And I'm not a huge fan of an expansive reading of the Commerce Clause.  That said, Congress has the power "To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."  I would think that having uniform and orderly times is rather essential for a metric shitton of interstate commercial activities.  Shit, the headache in airline and train schedules alone would merit Commerce Clause jurisdiction.  And the creation of time zones themselves was an act of Congress within the scope of that power.

On November 18, 1883, America’s railroads began using a standard time system involving four time zones, Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific. Within each zone, all clocks were synchronized. The railroad industry’s plan was adopted by much of the country, although the time-zone system didn’t become official across the United States until the passage of the 1918 Standard Time Act, which also established daylight saving time.

That law expired.  But....Congress standardized time zones with the Uniform Time Act of 1966.  It does allow states to opt out.

Standardized approaches to time is kinda sort exactly one of those things that Congress should be involved in pursuant to the Commerce Clause.  And while it currently allows states to opt out (see Arizona), I suspect that if we started seeing a real patchwork of odd times....Congress wouldn't sit on its ass.

And anything that makes Congress take action is bad, because they'll surely fuck it up.  

On 4/26/2019 at 9:30 AM, ztejas said:

Depends. I'd ask he's at least somewhat familiar with the basic principles of the theory of relativity before proceeding any further. 

All I know about that is this, if any of my relatives wake me up before 7 a.m. on the weekend or after 9 on any night I will kill their ass and they will cease to be relatives.

Depends. I'd ask he's at least somewhat familiar with the basic principles of the theory of relativity before proceeding any further. 

Quintuple? Gimme a break

Edited by SHOOTER12

Sextuple??? Someone's aggy ass needs to fix this crap.

Edited by SHOOTER12

On 4/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, Lobo said:

It was my understanding there would be no math.  But yes, 67%, not 75% and certainly not 50%.  But hey, I was closer than the folks touting 50% right?  

That you consider that "absolutely stunning" gives me some concern as to what truly stimulates you.  Here's the really disturbing thing.  I am no sleep, newborn baby, and shitty-to-begin-with math skills.  And they let me teach upper division finance this morning at one of the best business schools in the nation.  But yeah, I shoulda double-checked my work.  And you are a goddamn saint.  

On 4/29/2019 at 5:34 PM, Planet Houston said:

I’m being sarcastic and using your exact words. I wouldn’t have even mentioned it if you weren’t so vitriolic in your word choices...🤷‍♂️

Now get some sleep, and congrats on your success in the world of finance. And on the newborn. 

I've heard masturbation improves math skills.