Texans To Vote On Daylight Saving Time

mycox

Vote for the referendum   

146 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for the referendum

2. 2. If your vote is yes

• year-round standard time
    • year-round daylight saving time

The hour one way or another doesn't matter to much to me.  

I'm assuming that most people like the extended daylight later in the day, so we would want the summer or Daylight time.   If we went that route, Texas (minus El Paso) would exist in the Central time zone in the summer months and the Eastern time zone in the winter months.  Where that really sucks is that TV or major sporting events would remain on the national time.  Sunday night football would then start at 8:20pm in November and December.  Super Bowl starts at 6:20pm etc.   Nationally televised UT basketball games would probably shift an hour later at night.  All TV shows start an hour later from Nov-Mar.  then in March, everything switches back to "normal" for us.

Personally I don't want what I consider 9pm TV shows to shift to 10pm like they do on the east coast.

3 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Fucking crybaby.

don’t let the clock run you.  If you want more time before/ after work, then get up/ go to bed accordingly.

LOFL at time change legislation leading to social ‘progress.’  It couldn’t be more trivial.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The hour one way or another doesn't matter to much to me.  

I'm assuming that most people like the extended daylight later in the day, so we would want the summer or Daylight time.   If we went that route, Texas (minus El Paso) would exist in the Central time zone in the summer months and the Eastern time zone in the winter months.  Where that really sucks is that TV or major sporting events would remain on the national time.  Sunday night football would then start at 8:20pm in November and December.  Super Bowl starts at 6:20pm etc.   Nationally televised UT basketball games would probably shift an hour later at night.  All TV shows start an hour later from Nov-Mar.  then in March, everything switches back to "normal" for us.

Personally I don't want what I consider 9pm TV shows to shift to 10pm like they do on the east coast.

Why not utilize technology to watch later shows the next day or whenever you want? 

Why watch anything “live” other than sporting events?  

• Like 1

"Fucking crybaby.

don’t let the clock run you.  If you want more time before/ after work, then get up/ go to bed accordingly.

LOFL at time change legislation leading to social ‘progress.’  It couldn’t be more trivial."

I  wake up at 4:50 and am at work before 6:00. I get home about 6:45 in the evening. How exactly is your plan going to give me any daylight in my off hours?

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

3 hours ago, austingirl said:

I'd prefer to lose DST, but only if it happened across the country and not just in TX. Too many logistical problems with us not having DST while most other states have it.

This, it becomes another special case in lots of software that deals with scheduling, timezones, etc. Would be just so much easier if the whole country adopted it.

The federal government also controls the time zones. Texas would have to ask Congress to approve the referendum if the vote is year-round saving time. 
That could take years. 

Or we could just do it and give Washington the finger like the state s that are passing legalization laws

I'd prefer to lose DST, but only if it happened across the country and not just in TX. Too many logistical problems with us not having DST while most other states have it.

I lived in Hawaii, which doesn't have it, and you're right -- it was kind of a pain in the ass. 

29 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It was pretty much two thirds for daylight savings and one third for standard time most of the morning on the poll, but now standard time is gaining some ground. So a bunch of lazy folks who sleep in want the sun to go down earlier so they can go back to sleep I guess.

my kids can't fall asleep if it's light out.  bedtime gets pushed back later and later once march rolls around.  and they wake up with the sun.  i hate it.

P

41 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It was pretty much two thirds for daylight savings and one third for standard time most of the morning on the poll, but now standard time is gaining some ground. So a bunch of lazy folks who sleep in want the sun to go down earlier so they can go back to sleep I guess.

Perhaps those voting for DST are the lazy ones who like to sleep late in the mornings?  

I think most with kids and/or early hour work would generally prefer standard time all year.  Youngins and deadbeats likely prefer DST, which explains the poll results here on Surly.  I know I preferred DST before kids came along and public school hours required getting up way too fucking early.  Now I don't care because I'm dead inside. 

• Like 1

If Texas does it, the rest of the country will follow. Because...

What starts here changes the world.

3 hours ago, Pasken said:

. I hope the ballot language explains to people that DST is when you have more light at the end of the day and ST is more light in the morning.

Thanks for this. Now I know how I'm going to vote. #TeamMoreLightInTheMorning

26 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

my kids can't fall asleep if it's light out.  bedtime gets pushed back later and later once march rolls around.  and they wake up with the sun.  i hate it.

Take control
Blackout curtains are about $50, we can start a gofundme if you need some help with that.

I laugh at your "issue", I like living on the western end of the Eastern time zone, and further up north - sunset is about 9:30, dusk ends after 10pm.
I can play 18 after work, and hit the 19th hole before it is dark

For those assholes who can't adjust, I'd suggest you never go to Alaska in the summer. That will be a beating for you and your internal clock.

2 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

If Texas does it, the rest of the country will follow. Because...

What starts here changes the world.

Thanks for this. Now I know how I'm going to vote. #TeamMoreLightInTheMorning

Hate

I would give you 2 reps for this post, as seen above.

How can you be so right, and so wrong - all in the same post?

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

This stuff is always confusing, but I think:

If we go to year round daylight time, we'd be on central in the summer and eastern in the winter.

If we go to year round standard time, we'd be on central in the winter and mountain in the summer.

i voted yes to the vote for the comedy value, however this and several other economic arguments above trump texas going it alone.... any change will only work if the entire country does it... phoenix and indianapolis going their own way also needs to end

also, for anyone thinking of creative clock management, there's this thing called the equator, and it does not point in the direction the earth travels around the sun.

at least, today it doesn't.  my guess is once Antarctica and Greenland melt, the earth's rotational axis will shift to where the equator points in the same direction of orbital travel, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

I want to vote yes to keep the time we are using now year around. Going back and forth every 6 months is fucking ignorant and pointless.

But the issue is, if we are the only state doing it, this will cause conflicts doing business in any other state. Especially time sensitive appointments. Seems counter productive unless the entire country adopts a single time to stick with year around.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Take control
Blackout curtains are about $50, we can start a gofundme if you need some help with that.

I laugh at your "issue", I like living on the western end of the Eastern time zone, and further up north - sunset is about 9:30, dusk ends after 10pm.
I can play 18 after work, and hit the 19th hole before it is dark

For those assholes who can't adjust, I'd suggest you never go to Alaska in the summer. That will be a beating for you and your internal clock.

Yep, blackout curtains help immensely. The time change sucks because it throws off the kid's schedule, but she hasn't had much of a problem with the light change in her first two years because of these.

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

LOL at you dim witted fuckers calling this inconsequential.

This is for once the one issue that actually affects everybody...short of some guy sitting on a rock his whole life out in Big Bend nobody gets away from “what time is it/que hora es?”

Nothing else mentioned so far has that kind of wide ranging impact.

Oh and if you want to cling to a number there are several studies that show the cost in loss of productivity, etc due to trying to fuck around with clocks is ~$500-700 million per year nationwide, every single year. So maybe say 50 million a year to Texas...every single year. Then there are the heart attacks the car wrecks etc.

If you die from time change, consider it Darwin’s duty.

Holy fuck...

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Making the sun appear to come up at the same time every day, year round, seems like an easy enough program to write as long as everyone uses digital/programmable clocks. I could go for a 6:45 sunrise.

Yeah that's going to be great in the winter when it's dark at 3:45 in the afternoon. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that's going to be great in the winter when it's dark at 3:45 in the afternoon. 

Well it's not like there's anything you can do about the shorter daylight hours in the winter. We just need to all agree on when a day starts and proceed from there. We can call sunrise 7:30 if you prefer and adjust accordingly.

15 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Well it's not like there's anything you can do about the shorter daylight hours in the winter. We just need to all agree on when a day starts and proceed from there. We can call sunrise 7:30 if you prefer and adjust accordingly.

Dude you should go back to this being a joke. There are not 24 hours between sunrises every day. That isn't how our construct of time works. This would only work if everyone lived on the equator or if Earth had 0 tilt to its axis. 

Anyone should be able to adjust their internal clock to a time change within a day or two. This isn't jet lag flying to the other side of the world. We're talking about one hour. Most adults have their nightly schedule off by that much time every night anyway.  For kids I can see it being a little bit more difficult but we shouldn't adjust the entire state's time because of kids. There's a cure for their problem: growing up.

I liked that we shortened the winter half of the time change by a few weeks in 2007. BUT it sucked that we moved on a different schedule than the rest of the Western world. I had regular meetings with people in the UK where some shifted an hour and others didn't because it was dependent on who scheduled the meeting.  Meeting conflicts were created just because the US changed the time law.   This will occur if Texas moves on it own.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude you should go back to this being a joke. There are not 24 hours between sunrises every day. That isn't how our construct of time works. This would only work if everyone lived on the equator or if Earth had 0 tilt to its axis. 

It's "new time". Get rid of "old time". It's like farm time. The day starts when the sun comes up and when it does we'll call that 6 or 7 or whatever. Incorporate the daily changes due to lat/long into your timepiece that has GPS. Easy.

2 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I'm amazed this is even an issue.  It's a one hour shift twice a year.  Millions of people change their work schedule by 12 hours multiple times a  month.

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

It's "new time". Get rid of "old time". It's like farm time. The day starts when the sun comes up and when it does we'll call that 6 or 7 or whatever. Incorporate the daily changes due to lat/long into your timepiece that has GPS. Easy.

I can't believe I need to use an example but okay. 

Let's start recording time again. From zero. Call it year 0, day 0, hour 0 etc. 

Start the "clock" when the sun rises tomorrow morning. So the first sunrise corresponds with 0:00:00. 

When the sun rises again the following morning, the clock is not going to read 24:00:00 (unless like I said, you are at the perfect equator). It will be off by a varying amount of time depending on where you are on earth. 

Do you understand the issue with your proposition now?

40 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can't believe I need to use an example but okay. 

Let's start recording time again. From zero. Call it year 0, day 0, hour 0 etc. 

Start the "clock" when the sun rises tomorrow morning. So the first sunrise corresponds with 0:00:00. 

When the sun rises again the following morning, the clock is not going to read 24:00:00 (unless like I said, you are at the perfect equator). It will be off by a varying amount of time depending on where you are on earth. 

Do you understand the issue with your proposition now?

Been dealing with timekeeping for a lot of years. You realize that all of the things you're bringing up are known, right? And therefore can be accounted for? Did you miss the part about GPS in my comments?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone should be able to adjust their internal clock to a time change within a day or two. This isn't jet lag flying to the other side of the world. We're talking about one hour. Most adults have their nightly schedule off by that much time every night anyway.  For kids I can see it being a little bit more difficult but we shouldn't adjust the entire state's time because of kids. There's a cure for their problem: growing up.

I liked that we shortened the winter half of the time change by a few weeks in 2007. BUT it sucked that we moved on a different schedule than the rest of the Western world. I had regular meetings with people in the UK where some shifted an hour and others didn't because it was dependent on who scheduled the meeting.  Meeting conflicts were created just because the US changed the time law.   This will occur if Texas moves on it own.

Allow me to summarize your argument. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Your issues with time change (for example, keeping kids on a regular schedule) are insignificant and unimportant.

My issues with time change (for example, grown, educated adults making it to meetings on time) really matter.

7 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Been dealing with timekeeping for a lot of years. You realize that all of the things you're bringing up are known, right? And therefore can be accounted for? Did you miss the part about GPS in my comments?

You have to be trolling at this point. The only way your solution works is if there is no discrepancy in sunrise or sunset time based on longitude. 

So let's call it 6:45 am at sunrise in Winnipeg, does that mean that it's 6:45 am at sunrise 30 minutes later in Austin, Texas? 

The entire thing would be a clusterfuck. 

26 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Allow me to summarize your argument. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Your issues with time change (for example, keeping kids on a regular schedule) are insignificant and unimportant.

My issues with time change (for example, grown, educated adults making it to meetings on time) really matter.

The issue with the meetings are real.  Last week you had regularly scheduled meetings at 9am and 10am. Now you have 2 meetings at 9am.   

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You have to be trolling at this point. The only way your solution works is if there is no discrepancy in sunrise or sunset time based on longitude. 

So let's call it 6:45 am at sunrise in Winnipeg, does that mean that it's 6:45 am at sunrise 30 minutes later in Austin, Texas? 

The entire thing would be a clusterfuck

You're catching on.

Back in the day when I lived on ships we'd "dog" the watch 20 minutes per watch (8 hours) over the course of a day as we transited from west to east and vice versa. It's all relative. I'm just saying let's personalize time, you have your 6:45 and I'll have mine. ;) 

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Anyone should be able to adjust their internal clock to a time change within a day or two. This isn't jet lag flying to the other side of the world. We're talking about one hour. Most adults have their nightly schedule off by that much time every night anyway. 

This has been my experience. A 1 hour adjustment is barely noticeable.

The only time I had a really hard time adjusting to time zones was when I flew out to London for 3 weeks for work and then flew back to HQ in San Francisco for a week then to home in Texas for one day then NYC for a week then to Phoenix for 3 days. The entire time I was bouncing around I had regular calls with my client in Phoenix where they do not follow DST. That shit got squirrelly.

4 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
21 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
The issue with the meetings are real.  Last week you had regularly scheduled meetings at 9am and 10am. Now you have 2 meetings at 9am.   

Set your meetings to GMT.

Don't schedule meetings. 

The number of state reps in our Capitol that have this week stated that we live half the year in daylight saving time and half the year in standard time has been absolutely stunning.  I knew we had some dipshits up there, but basic arithmetic takes the cake.  If we "spring" forward in early March and "fall" back in early November.  That's the 3rd month to the 11th month...that's gonna go ahead and be 8 months...not 6.  We don't spend half the year in daylight saving time...we spend 75% of it, 3/4ths, three-quarters, all acceptable answers.  That's an important consideration because it's half-again of a change, not half the change.  So are we really talking about that drastic of a change time-wise?  No.  Will be annoying as shit in dealing with 47 other states?  Yes.