[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

21 hours ago, Tracer Bullet said:

For Pierce

Rule #1: If there is a slight hint that pulling the pitcher might be the right move, then pull the pitcher

Rule #2: If you or the pitching coach have to go to the mound, pull the fucking pitcher you goddamn fucking retard

Rule #2? 

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

We had lots of options. Everyone but Witt could probably have thrown a little in a pinch.

This.HERE.   We went in as the team with the clear advantage in pitching depth.  By the time the 6th inning rolled around, we were afraid to insert any number of pitchers that were fresh because they had NOT pitched.   Some of these guys are on at least a partial scholarship, or at least I would think.  We recruit well.  So, I am thinking the relievers we recruit have to be good enough to have confidence that they can pitch in a CWS game.  

But our manager thought better of that.  He preferred a used up pitcher who had pitched about 100 pitches in the two appearances, who was falling apart, over a fresh, confident young pitcher from the bullpen.  Why?  Somebody please answer why he preferred the falling apart pitcher over the fresh pitcher? 

What am I missing? Seriously. 

12 hours ago, Fletch said:

And I don’t see Williams or Stevens leaving but who knows. I like that our catcher, shortstop, 2ndbaseman, right fielder, Witt and our closer were all freshman this last year. Yeah yeah whatever Faltine and Silas were redshirts but still. And we’re adding another badass recruiting class. We’re gonna be just fine 

Maybe Faltine's hitting stays just shitty enough that he doesn't bolt after next year.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Maybe Faltine's hitting stays just shitty enough that he doesn't bolt after next year.

Brandon Loy is a solid comp for Faltine. Silky smoothie at short, streaky hitter. So yeah no Faltine is gone after next year

13 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

This.HERE.   We went in as the team with the clear advantage in pitching depth.  By the time the 6th inning rolled around, we were afraid to insert any number of pitchers that were fresh because they had NOT pitched.   Some of these guys are on at least a partial scholarship, or at least I would think.  We recruit well.  So, I am thinking the relievers we recruit have to be good enough to have confidence that they can pitch in a CWS game.  

But our manager thought better of that.  He preferred a used up pitcher who had pitched about 100 pitches in the two appearances, who was falling apart, over a fresh, confident young pitcher from the bullpen.  Why?  Somebody please answer why he preferred the falling apart pitcher over the fresh pitcher? 

What am I missing? Seriously. 

Two ground balls, one of which had double play written all over it, managed to find a hole. Stevens wasn't that bad. Yeah, we probably should have brought someone else in, but he wasn't out there getting hammered. If that ball is a few inches closer to third, we turn two and get out of the inning with no damage. In a lot of ways Stevens was the ideal pitcher to have up in that situation because he gets a lot of grounders with a double play potential. The result sucked and maybe pulling Stevens earlier would have kept the game going, but the real problem was we just couldn't get a timely hit at the end. That and getting fucked having to play as the away team twice in a row (seriously, that rule has to change).  Big picture, Pierce did a great job with this team and has us setup nicely for next year. He has had more success at the same point in his Texas tenure than Augie Garrido had. It's baseball. Sometimes shit happens. Firing Pierce over dancing with who got us there would be fucking stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Fletch said:

Brandon Loy is a solid comp for Faltine. Silky smoothie at short, streaky hitter. So yeah no Faltine is gone after next year

Faltine not being gone after next year would almost certainly mean he regressed. I'd much prefer to see him leave after he playing a pivotal role in lighting the tower orange after Omaha. 

On 6/26/2021 at 1:02 AM, NorthLoop said:

He did make a bad decision with Witt tonight. He also got this team to the final four. You johnny come latelys need to go lick your own taints. 

somehow i previously missed that this fucking needledick actually negged me telling him to fuck off for being dumb enough to refer to me as a johnny come lately fan.  lol.  fucking bitch-made dork. you said exactly what i said...he fucked the pitching management in the 8th inning.  full stop.  shut the fuck up with anything else and attempting to be the arbiter of who the "real" fans are. 

as for the rest of the thread, i don't think anyone taken seriously in this thread wants pierce fired. there's absolutely no basis for it.  there was just an expression of frustration because of how badly he managed the pitching in that game (which he somehow did again the next night) and all the people bitching about...well, people bitching seem to acknowledge it as well.  overall, he's done an above-average job.  importantly, he's done a pretty good job recruiting and seems to be continuing that.  in college baseball, at a certain point, talent accumulation will get you over the hump as long as you don't hamstring them too badly.  as has been said here numerous times, he's doing a pretty good job of that and we have been in the cws twice in his tenure (though the 2018 ass-rammings we took in omaha were pretty embarrassing). 

that said, the pitching decisions in the two most important games of the season were absolutely awful and the fact that i have never seen such an unbelievably bad and undisciplined base-running team in the history of college baseball throughout this entire season when he is the actual third base coach is not exactly great.  pointing these things out is completely valid.  it is also entirely valid that it was a successful and enjoyable season to take part in from the get-go (despite north loop's asinine insinuation).  they were certainly a team capable of winning it all and that is what makes it fun.  getting to the last four teams playing is never something to hang heads over and there is reason for optimism moving forward.  hopefully the team responds to this disappointment the same way as the 2004 team and not like the 2014 team (who did precisely the same thing as this team coming back through the loser's bracket and forcing a second game against vandy) and then followed it up with a shit season.

25 minutes ago, sidis said:

somehow i previously missed that this fucking needledick actually negged me telling him to fuck off for being dumb enough to refer to me as a johnny come lately fan.  lol.  fucking bitch-made dork. you said exactly what i said...he fucked the pitching management in the 8th inning.  full stop.  shut the fuck up with anything else and attempting to be the arbiter of who the "real" fans are. 

as for the rest of the thread, i don't think anyone taken seriously in this thread wants pierce fired. there's absolutely no basis for it.  there was just an expression of frustration because of how badly he managed the pitching in that game (which he somehow did again the next night) and all the people bitching about...well, people bitching seem to acknowledge it as well.  overall, he's done an above-average job.  importantly, he's done a pretty good job recruiting and seems to be continuing that.  in college baseball, at a certain point, talent accumulation will get you over the hump as long as you don't hamstring them too badly.  as has been said here numerous times, he's doing a pretty good job of that and we have been in the cws twice in his tenure (though the 2018 ass-rammings we took in omaha were pretty embarrassing). 

that said, the pitching decisions in the two most important games of the season were absolutely awful and the fact that i have never seen such an unbelievably bad and undisciplined base-running team in the history of college baseball throughout this entire season when he is the actual third base coach is not exactly great.  pointing these things out is completely valid.  it is also entirely valid that it was a successful and enjoyable season to take part in from the get-go (despite north loop's asinine insinuation).  they were certainly a team capable of winning it all and that is what makes it fun.  getting to the last four teams playing is never something to hang heads over and there is reason for optimism moving forward.  hopefully the team responds to this disappointment the same way as the 2004 team and not like the 2014 team (who did precisely the same thing as this team coming back through the loser's bracket and forcing a second game against vandy) and then followed it up with a shit season.

The idea that making a pitching change increases your chances of getting out of a jam, if that is the basis of your premise, isn't even remotely a fact. You like anybody is certainly entitled to their opinion as we all are but leaving Witt in the game wasn't' an awful decision it just didn't work. He has best K/9 on our staff which is what you want out of a late inning guy. Texas used 3 pitchers (Wood, Jungmann, Dicharry) in the 9th against LSU in 2009 with a 6-4 lead and they managed to allow 2 hits and 2 walks and essentially choked the game away. Was that bad management? Good management because Augie simply made changes? Funny enough, Witt is the only pitcher on the team with 25+ IP that doesn't have a loss

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, chase25 said:

The idea that making a pitching change increases your chances of getting out of a jam, if that is the basis of your premise, isn't even remotely a fact. You like anybody is certainly entitled to their opinion as we all are but leaving Witt in the game wasn't' an awful decision it just didn't work. He has best K/9 on our staff which is what you want out of a late inning guy. Texas used 3 pitchers (Wood, Jungmann, Dicharry) in the 9th against LSU in 2009 with a 6-4 lead and they managed to allow 2 hits and 2 walks and essentially choked the game away. Was that bad management? Good management because Augie simply made changes? Funny enough, Witt is the only pitcher on the team with 25+ IP that doesn't have a loss

And honestly I was ok with leaving Stevens in. It’s not like the 2 hits he gave up we’re scorched. If Daly was playing where he should’ve been on one of em, it’s a routine grounder and we’re probably talking about how ballsy it was to keep him, in Pierce we trust shit if it worked out. Baseball is a bitch. In the next couple years, we’ll get the right bounces and calls and take us home a title. You’d think after 2000-2010, our fans would understand this. But no. 

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, chase25 said:

but he had pitched such an enormous part of the tennessee game a few days earlier and you could tell immediately that he did not have anything close to his best stuff.  he had never pitched more than 3 innings in a single game this year and against the vols, he went 5.2.  with it being the 8th inning and quintanilla and nixon being there, it made no sense to not make the move after he walked hancock.  then, to not do it after walking tanner was just insane.  letting him just go four pitch walk next was outrageous.  that isn't shitting on witt, he pitched amazingly well in some big spots (including coming up huge against tenn), it is shitting on the decision.  anyone watching the game could feel what was happening.

of course changing pitchers doesn't guarantee an outcome, but part of being successful is knowing when the guy out there is about to melt down and avoiding it.  especially when msu had not yet seen cole or nixon.

Edited by sidis

44 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

We got bad breaks.  Miss St. advanced with bullshit seeing eye singles.  Whatever, congrats to them.  Go Vandy, hope they sweep.  I'm salty.

we lost 2 of 3 to MSU because they were slightly better hitters(made more BIP contact) against high level pitching than we were.  that said if we win the first game I'm sure we are playing Vandy. Pierce has work to do but we aren't far off.  This team with a few breaks could have won it all.

Vandy looks pretty anemic at the plate.  I'm torn but I suppose I want the Omadawgs to go down just like the Omahogs because that is so f'in cheesy for 2 programs that have never won it.

Edit might I suggest - Go Coomahadoors!

Edited by dcar00
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, chase25 said:

there is a thought process on # of times through the lineup.  the more you see a pitcher the more comfortable you get.  after the 2nd guy got on he probably should have pulled him, it was apparent he was not locating, IMO.

more than a few were not a fan of the Jungmann decision by Augie.  I guess he knew how important the game was because he used his ace starter in a relief role the day before he was going to start.

oh and please stop bringing up 2009 LSU...its way too painful.

5 minutes ago, Fletch said:

And honestly I was ok with leaving Stevens in. It’s not like the 2 hits he gave up we’re scorched. If Daly was playing where he should’ve been on one of em, it’s a routine grounder and we’re probably talking about how ballsy it was to keep him, in Pierce we trust shit if it worked out. Baseball is a bitch. In the next couple years, we’ll get the right bounces and calls and take us home a title. You’d think after 2000-2010, our fans would understand this. But no. 

in five innings pitched, he gave up more hits and more extra base hits than he had given up in any game all year with only two strikeouts (his lowest total of the year next to the three inning game against tennessee).  in the bottom of the fifth, he gave up a double and two singles and was clearly losing gas. he was also coming off two pretty subpar back to back starts with a 10.8 ERA in the previous start.  it would have been smarter to pull him in the inning change and go to cole then but even after letting him go back out there, he left him in after a walk and another base hit.  if you think that's the right time to leave him in, we just aren't going to agree.

no, no one in our fanbase understands the slings and arrows of fortune in college baseball...

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we lost 2 of 3 to MSU because they were slightly better hitters(made more BIP contact) against high level pitching than we were.  that said if we win the first game I'm sure we are playing Vandy. Pierce has work to do but we aren't far off.  This team with a few breaks could have won it all.

Vandy looks pretty anemic at the plate.  I'm torn but I suppose I want the Omadawgs to go down just like the Omahogs because that is so f'in cheesy for 2 programs that have never won it.

as disappointed as i am to have blown it against msu, lots of respect to them for winning the way they did and i'd slightly prefer them over vandy getting another trophy.  particularly with vandy's b.s. fortunes against ncsu.

18 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yup, Stevens was fine. Two grounders got through, one due to a weird hop and the other because we weren't quite in the right position. Stevens did exactly what we wanted him to do with both of those batters. We just caught a couple of bad breaks there.  

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Still think we win that first game if they kept Ruffin in.

• Hook 'Em 6

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

there is a thought process on # of times through the lineup.  the more you see a pitcher the more comfortable you get.  after the 2nd guy got on he probably should have pulled him, it was apparent he was not locating, IMO.

more than a few were not a fan of the Jungmann decision by Augie.  I guess he knew how important the game was because he used his ace starter in a relief role the day before he was going to start.

oh and please stop bringing up 2009 LSU...its way too painful.

Yeah I agree but like I said earlier, we were a couple bad hops away from squeezing another inning out of Stevens which would’ve been clutch as fuck, just didn’t turn out that way. In hindsight Cole should’ve started the inning and yeah we were all thinking it. But I get the trust Pierce had in Stevens there. Fiery competitor and we’ve seen this scenario play out both ways in baseball all the time. Starter stays in, shuts them down, he’s forever known as clutch badass or a Stevens situation happens and it’s “should’ve pulled him”. Then relievers coming in and shutting them down or getting into an early jam and it’s immediate “why did we pull the starter!?!?” Whatever. We played our asses off and proved we not only belong, but we’re gonna make some serious noise for years to come. As it should be. 

38 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

The more I look back at Saturdays game, I'd put more of the burden on our hitting vs pitching.  I know we looked at a batshit crazy number of called strike threes without even moving the bat.  How many of those were called after looking the same at strike two?  And really we can go back to our whole series against MSU and really the entire week in Omaha  until late  in games to see the same, save the Tennessee game

This team can take the next step and make it to the 'ship....  We just need to show we are going to be more aggressive at the plate from game one next year.  

1 hour ago, sidis said:

To his credit the base running in Omaha was excellent.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

I agree if we won the first game then it would be us against vandy. The first two games would have been 3-2 or 2-1 ball games with how both teams handle good pitching. I think our chances of getting a W against Rocker are higher than Leiter. 

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The more I look back at Saturdays game, I'd put more of the burden on our hitting vs pitching.  I know we looked at a batshit crazy number of called strike threes without even moving the bat.  How many of those were called after looking the same at strike two?  And really we can go back to our whole series against MSU and really the entire week in Omaha  until late  in games to see the same, save the Tennessee game

This team can take the next step and make it to the 'ship....  We just need to show we are going to be more aggressive at the plate from game one next year.  

the hitting was always the problem.  more complete lineup than 2018(kody covered a lot of ills) and much better than 2019.  we got better but the weak mid of schedule also gave us a bit of a false sense of the hitting being a LOT better.   get the hitting overall better than this year and we've got something.  freshman improvement should help with that.

• Hook 'Em 3

If we can’t improve at third base then we will not get to the cws finals. What did cam have, three hits in five games? A couple good plays defensively, also some miscues. Some people might say cam brings more offense than a guy like David Maroul, but the production says otherwise. And Maroul was the best defensive third base we’ve had.

8 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

If we can’t improve at third base then we will not get to the cws finals. What did cam have, three hits in five games? A couple good plays defensively, also some miscues. Some people might say cam brings more offense than a guy like David Maroul, but the production says otherwise. And Maroul was the best defensive third base we’ve had.

The first sentence is false. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

Cam homered our last game, was our worst fielder statistically but still made plays on an elite defense and was a solid hitter throughout the year. Maroul wasn’t exactly a slugger, he got hot in Omaha and yeah. And if we were playing in Rosenblatt then there would’ve been more homers across the board and blah blah blah. But yeah Cam is just fine at 3rd. I’d like to see him choke up and shorten up more often, but he’s a pretty good college baseball player 

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

No one is allowed to criticize the hitting or base running. Not allowed. Well documented. You must be a newbie to not recognize how great our hitting and baserunning is.

Might be just a tad difference between criticism and a massive thread asking to fire the coach who took the horns to the CWS two out of the last three years and finished in the top 4 this year.  Granted our hitting was a weak point during the CWS, but our base running was fine.  I realize of corse that everyone posting here would be a major league manager and expert at handling pitching staffs (as long as they had the luxury of hind sight), but are just too busy fucking super models.

26 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Might be just a tad difference between criticism and a massive thread asking to fire the coach who took the horns to the CWS two out of the last three years and finished in the top 4 this year.  Granted our hitting was a weak point during the CWS, but our base running was fine.  I realize of corse that everyone posting here would be a major league manager and expert at handling pitching staffs (as long as they had the luxury of hind sight), but are just too busy fucking super models.

Bingo.

Edit: And where the fuck did I say fire the coach? I just have some questions about our hitting and base running. But go right ahead.

Damn sensitive Nancy.

Edited by Steel Shank
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

well yeah.  hopefully this doesn't upset you.  maybe Surly isn't the place for you or maybe you just haven't found a supermodel yet.

most of us made a call during the game about the pitching moves, not hindsight.  most were saying pull earlier than he did and it usually cost him.  that said Cole really bailed him out.

I do realize you found a stripper.

56 minutes ago, Terry Silver said:

this is baseball.  unless the player is a starting pitcher or potentially catcher, one player is not the difference in making the finals.  Cam is a good college 3B and his fielding was mostly nails the last half of the year. can we upgrade sure but he's still pretty good, especially in comparing him to the rest of the team.

Daly was kind of a no show hitting in Omaha IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

Bingo.

Edit: And where the fuck did I say fire the coach? I just have some questions about our hitting and base running. But go right ahead.

Damn sensitive Nancy.

All good dude. Grab yourself a bud lite and go lay some pipe. We had an ocean of freshman playing significant roles with another great recruiting class coming in. I too would like to see us be more aggressive at the plate and maybe not run ourselves out of innings. But hard to argue with the results this season. 

Also, minor detail, but it was nice seeing Pierce not only win a game in Omaha, but be a cunt hair away from playing for it all right now is pretty fucking promising for the future 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

All good dude. Grab yourself a bud lite and go lay some pipe. We had an ocean of freshman playing significant roles with another great recruiting class coming in. I too would like to see us be more aggressive at the plate and maybe not run ourselves out of innings. But hard to argue with the results this season. 

Also, minor detail, but it was nice seeing Pierce not only win a game in Omaha, but be a cunt hair away from playing for it all right now is pretty fucking promising for the future 

Fucking A! Agree 100%. We'll get there! Pos Waves!

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here