Holy shit. That sucks.

crash_davis

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/9226637/girls-intestines-sucked-from-body/

Salma ended up accidentally sitting on the pool's suction valve and the force was so strong that it tore her intestines from her body before anyone had a chance to pull her away.

Salma recalled: “I was just swimming all of a sudden, I just sat on it by accident.

"I know the lifeguard tried to pull me out and he couldn't because the suction was so much.

“My dad tried to pull me out. And then I know a couple of people finally were able to get me out, and when I was taken out, it was so traumatic.”

As she was wearing a red swimming costume, Salma's mum Dena thought that her daughter's small intestines were just torn swimsuit.

“I found someone carrying her and all her intestines came out from her body, I couldn’t believe that it was intestine I thought at the beginning it was her swimming suit," she said.

50 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Jesus . 

It's been litigated here in the US.   Former presidential candidate John Edwards made millions litigating pool drain cases.

https://www.apnews.com/72a065aa1faecbc1caea413889b7621e

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) _ A girl who was disemboweled when her bottom became pinned to the drain of a kiddie pool will receive $30.9 million under a settlement announced Tuesday.

Most of Valerie Lakey’s small and large intestines were sucked out in the 1993 accident, and the girl, now 9, must spend at least 11 hours a day being fed intravenously.

A state jury Monday awarded the family $25 million in compensatory damages, the biggest personal-injury verdict in North Carolina history. The jury was to begin deciding whether to award punitive damages when the maker of the drain cover, Sta-Rite Industries of Delavan, Wis., agreed to a settlement.

3 hours ago, phdhorn said:

This actually happens a lot.  I've been to pools where they warn you of the suction thingy and to stay off of it, or you can lose your lunch - the wrong way.

Once you get out, just turn your bidet on to max pressure and push everything back in.

Maybe clumsily worded, but

Dual main drains (required for all newly constructed residential swimming pools and spas) consist of two separate main drains, placed a minimum of 3' apart, which are connected by piping to a tee fitting. This design allows the drains to be far enough apart that one person could not block both drains simultaneously. If one drain is blocked, the suction is able to shift to the second drain allowing swimmer to swim both freely and safely.