Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

On 6/6/2019 at 9:00 PM, atomheartbevo said:

I can tell you that easing up on where they can live and what they can do does nothing to solve the root problems and/or treat their mental health. If anything, it's going to actively turn a lot more people against them, and stigmatize them (as a whole) a lot farther, given that it will be abused.

I've got a good friend that I've known for almost 20 years, and she can be the hippiest flower girl you know, complete with having done stints in the Peace Corps, Greenpeace, some turtle-saving project down in Panama, spending several months a year in Africa working on water projects and women's rights, etc.  When she's not overseas, she's back-and-forth working between Austin, San Francisco, and Portland.

Get her talking about the homeless in SF, and she's damn near ready for a Final Solution.

The problem is, a lot of the problems with homeless people can't be solved at the city level, because the problem is too big, and it's fed by other cities.  If one big city in a state stomps out the homeless/makes it difficult for them to live there, they'll move elsewhere.  Smaller cities can make it difficult for them, so they move to bigger cities, etc.  Ideally we'd get these people into a mental health system of some sort, at the state level.

Bumping this old post from the first page two years ago because it is so damn right. The Austin City Council and our mayor are a collection of morons.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

But those 150 people are slowly but surely tipping the scale towards shithole.  

150 people a day moving ANYWHERE will slowly start tipping the scales into a shithole. It’s what eventually happened to post war LA, but that doesn’t mean you just throw up your hands and really do nothing about it or more specifically in this case, allow it to fester and get worse.

Homelessness is a big problem but it’s a NATIONAL problem, not a function that a city government by itself can solve, much less Austin’s moronic city council. A city Allowing people to camp wherever they want solves NOTHING. It was incredibly dumb to think that was a good idea. As we are finding out. 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, he's in fine shape.  You're missing the joke on the way Mayor Pete is holding him a la Johnny Jacobs.  

I didn't miss your joke at all.  Nearly spit my Fresca out all over my computer.  It wasn't a retort, it was me offering you up another chance to write a caption. 

Don't leave a brother hangin' baby!

Edited by Cajun

My bad.  I know he has supporters on here, couldn't remember if you were one of them or not.  Shit, I don't know how people keep poster's politics straight.  I just think 95% of Austin posters on here think Adler's a fucking conman in an ill-fitting bike helmet. 

The sad part is, for his supporters...is that Adler wasn't that bad a guy when he took office.  He was a typical douchebag real estate attorney, but nothing terribly sinister.  Like Watson, Wynn, and Leffingwell before him...he got into the office and took a deep dive.  And unlike those guys that swayed a bit too far to curry political favor, Adler went balls deep into grift and corruption like a piece of human shit.  He has no backbone and can be talked into anything by anybody.  He's the enema that puppets shove into their handler's assholes to gain sentient control.  

Edited by Lobo

23 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

150 people a day moving ANYWHERE will slowly start tipping the scales into a shithole. It’s what eventually happened to post war LA, but that doesn’t mean you just throw up your hands and really do nothing about it or more specifically in this case, allow it to fester and get worse.

Homelessness is a big problem but it’s a NATIONAL problem, not a function that a city government by itself can solve, much less Austin’s moronic city council. A city Allowing people to camp wherever they want solves NOTHING. It was incredibly dumb to think that was a good idea. As we are finding out. 

I totally agree with all of that.  I don't think Austin is beyond a fix - unlike SF which is fucked in my mind.  We all likes states rights but this is what happens when some dumbass people in local politics pass dumbass laws...  Shifts what should be all of our problem to just a few cities who then have to use local resources to fight said national program.  With our terrible leadership here in Chicago, I'm convinced only the winter and the chance you'll end up with some holes in you, keep our homeless problem manageable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I totally agree with all of that.  I don't think Austin is beyond a fix - unlike SF which is fucked in my mind.  We all likes states rights but this is what happens when some dumbass people in local politics pass dumbass laws...  Shifts what should be all of our problem to just a few cities who then have to use local resources to fight said national program.  With our terrible leadership here in Chicago, I'm convinced only the winter and the chance you'll end up with some holes in you, keep our homeless problem manageable. 

Brutal winters keep the homeless population somewhat down in Chicago. You can’t live outside there in February.

Its a multifaceted problem with no easy solutions and our current crop of politicians in power in many locals don’t seem serious about trying to solve it. 

Its both a macroeconomic and macro societal problem, which so far nobody has the political will or more likely the political power to solve. 

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

My bad.  I know he has supporters on here, couldn't remember if you were one of them or not.  Shit, I don't know how people keep poster's politics straight.  I just think 95% of Austin posters on here think Adler's a fucking conman in an ill-fitting bike helmet. 

The sad part is, for his supporters...is that Adler wasn't that bad a guy when he took office.  He was a typical douchebag real estate attorney, but nothing terribly sinister.  Like Watson, Wynn, and Leffingwell before him...he got into the office and took a deep dive.  And unlike those guys that swayed a bit too far to curry political favor, Adler went balls deep into grift and corruption like a piece of human shit.  He has no backbone and can be talked into anything by anybody.  He's the enema that puppets shove into their handler's assholes to gain sentient control.  

Oh, I'd say you can put me pretty solidly in the "Not a supporter" category there Lobo.  

Only thing me and Steve-O have in common is that we both like Cabo more than Austin.

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

You guys thinking proposition B isn’t gonna pass just do not understand this town and it’s NIMBY politics well enough and are thinking it won’t pass because of “dumb Libs.” Wrong. It will pass easily.  This isn’t San Francisco.

The bigger worry is our dumbass city council full of fit lumps telling APD to ignore it which they probably will for the most part. Then what? 

Negged. Literally the whole fucking council EXCEPT lump for brain will tell APD to ignore it. Fuck you for making me defend her.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is a real fine non political discussion you folks are having in this here daily texan. Wouldn't you agree @immamac

Negged. Local politics have always been daily texan's wheelhouse. Take your narc shit to basically any other DT thread these days

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is a real fine non political discussion you folks are having in this here daily texan. Wouldn't you agree @immamac

It's non-political.  Prop B doesn't require a voter to pull an R or D ballot to vote on.  And Adler and Council aren't on the ballot this year either.  Even if they were, they wouldn't have R's or D's next to them.  Adler is just a corrupt piece of fucking trash melted down to be shoved down Casar's windpipe.  They can all burn in the next homeless fire for all we care.  

Here's a Cloak Room take for those of you scoring at home while Immamac is living it up in Key Westside, Key Bestside.  

Adler voters are like Trump voters to me.  They are now too embedded in the errors of their ways to admit they were wrong.  They have to follow through with their guy until the bitter end.  And both of those guys could fuck up a hotel purchase like you wouldn't believe.

2 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I totally agree with all of that.  I don't think Austin is beyond a fix - unlike SF which is fucked in my mind.  

Oh, Austin is fucked well beyond SF. You ain’t seen nothing yet. And the homeless problem is nowhere near our biggest issue. 

21 minutes ago, B00M said:

Negged. Literally the whole fucking council EXCEPT lump for brain will tell APD to ignore it. Fuck you for making me defend her.

Wait. You guys think APD does what council says? That’s rich. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, B00M said:

My point, perhaps inarticulately stated, was that the entire council was a bunch of idiots, regardless of their each individual stance on the camping ban. Fitlump is just the most obvious example of that general stance of idiocy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Oh, Austin is fucked well beyond SF. You ain’t seen nothing yet. And the homeless problem is nowhere near our biggest issue

Well that would be the shitty football team that hails from there, no? 

<Ducks>

• Fuck You 1

Mack’s post retirement I’m fixin it years, the Charlie potato cake bakin years, and Herman’s winning is hard no yellow piss years have definitely been the biggest problem in Austin for quite some time, but we’re past all that now. Time to move on.

Edited by JimmyJames

there are only 2 
evicted families(probably a reasonably small number)
mentally ill

You serious Zoolander? I just listed groups and subgroups. There are thousands of homeless minors alone (those numbers exist). While they dont usually reside on the street, they have no permanent residence or guardian. Very vulnerable.

Then you have runaways and young adults termed out of the foster care system. Dont know if it still happens, but surrounding counties use to ship their juve’s and parolees to Austin.

Not sure I’d count battered/exploited people as mentally ill, but when you rely on abusers for housing, you can find yourself on the streets.

Substance abusers can be a mental health reason, but career criminals are not necessarily mentally ill. Now, the sex offenders who’ve given up on life may be mentally ill. Not sure you want them living in the woods or underneath the overpass.

7 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

You serious Zoolander? I just listed groups and subgroups. There are thousands of homeless minors alone (those numbers exist). While they dont usually reside on the street, they have no permanent residence or guardian. Very vulnerable.

Then you have runaways and young adults termed out of the foster care system. Dont know if it still happens, but surrounding counties use to ship their juve’s and parolees to Austin.

Not sure I’d count battered/exploited people as mentally ill, but when you rely on abusers for housing, you can find yourself on the streets.

Substance abusers can be a mental health reason, but career criminals are not necessarily mentally ill. Now, the sex offenders who’ve given up on life may be mentally ill. Not sure you want them living in the woods or underneath the overpass.

I'll give you the minors(don't see many of those in the underpasses I go by regularly but I am sure there are some) but I've been told no one wants to be homeless and therefore anyone who is, is mentally ill.  drugs = mentally ill because anyone who lets drugs allow them to be homeless is mentally ill.

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'll give you the minors(don't see many of those in the underpasses I go by regularly but I am sure there are some) but I've been told no one wants to be homeless and therefore anyone who is, is mentally ill.  drugs = mentally ill because anyone who lets drugs allow them to be homeless is mentally ill.

Look at the big brain on this fucking moron

Voted yesterday in north central (around airport and 183). 

line to vote was 45 mins and mix of ages. 

Im concerned that it will be close with prop B

It’s not going to be close. I am in multiple groups mostly concentrated about the local schools district that skew left and a majority of the people in those groups are voting for prop B.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, B00M said:

Go on... 

Pretty sure he’s referring to our housing affordability issue and the inability to change zoning or build transportation infrastructure to deal with it.  There’s a point where lower paid service workers can’t afford to live here and won’t be willing to put in the brutal commute.  You can look at Port Aransas to see that on a smaller scale.   People who work at restaurants and hotels and grocery stores can’t afford to live there, and don’t want to drive from Corpus or Refugio to work there.  Sooner or later that group will include teachers, cops and firefighters.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

https://www.myhighplains.com/news/local-news/homeless-population-decreasing-in-amarillo/

word is out with the bums in Amarillo......Austin is the place to be!

I think I’d rather be homeless in Austin vs in a nice McMansion in Amarillo.  I say that as someone who’s grandparents lived there for decades.

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

we had a homeless man try to come into our house this morning.  tried our front door twice.  got it on our ring.  reported it to the police and they took down our information. i sent them the video but they were apologetic and said they couldn't do anything b/c he didn't actually try to force his way in, but that even if had forcibly broken in and got positively IDed by video that nothing would happen b/c the DA wasn't prosecuting those cases in austin.  

They filming the Walking Dead in your neighborhood?

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Basically.

Still think B is a tossup.  Absolutely nothing will surprise me when it comes to Austin officials “counting” the votes.

Fify

History has repeated itself in Austin and there is no reason to believe anything has changed in that regard.

Just early voting.  You may vote on Saturday, 1 May.  From 7:00a-7:00p-CDT.  

104,000 people voted early this past week.  That does not bode well for Steve Adler, Casar, and the pack of fucksticks.  

19 hours ago, Lobo said:

I know Doc, that was the joke.  You know a shithole when you see one.  The "pre-med" thing was from "Animal House" where the guy is supposed to be an expert.  

And now you live in my old hometown and share many of my same socio-political beliefs.  I just want to be held, okay?  

You guys get a room.... if you can find one Adler hasn’t bought yet for the bums.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Have video as well of another who came in my garage before I ran him off.  Police said sorry, nothing we can do.

I mean- they are basically creating conditions where people are going to legally shoot homeless people to death with the castle doctrine in Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

^  Yeah, I'm very surprised that hasn't happened yet. About 10 years ago, we used to have an encampment nearby.  In the woods behind the old Temple-Inland offices (now Intel).  Those guys used to get fucked up during the day and wander through yards/garages in homes near MoPac.  Looking for something easy to steal like a power tool, outdoor TV, stuff in the beer fridge, etc.  One day, one of those guys (fucked up out of his mind) went all the way into the back sliding door of a woman at home during the day with her baby while older kid and husband were off at school.  Freaked the fuck out of her obviously and she probably would have shot him (home had multiple weapons) but for a yard crew that noticed the guy and knocked on her door to help.  Homeless dude ended up running away.  The next weekend, that husband put a posse together to go walk to that encampment and kick those guys out.  And it worked.  But that was a different time.  

Somebody, somewhere in South Austin is gonna get these guys wandering into their garage or backyard at night and start blasting.  It'll be painted as cruel and intolerant by Adler and Casar and Kitchen.  But at 3am, a guy is in trying to get into your home through the garage...you're not gonna stop and wonder, "Hey buddy, Austin home prices a little too steep?  I hear ya' man."  The delusion of somebody trying to randomly break into your home to steal your children is insane and we don't need to arm ourselves for that.  But the homeless, under the influence, coming into garages and backyards is absolutely real, it's ubiquitous and only going to get worse.  

13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^  Yeah, I'm very surprised that hasn't happened yet. About 10 years ago, we used to have an encampment nearby.  In the woods behind the old Temple-Inland offices (now Intel).  Those guys used to get fucked up during the day and wander through yards/garages in homes near MoPac.  Looking for something easy to steal like a power tool, outdoor TV, stuff in the beer fridge, etc.  One day, one of those guys (fucked up out of his mind) went all the way into the back sliding door of a woman at home during the day with her baby while older kid and husband were off at school.  Freaked the fuck out of her obviously and she probably would have shot him (home had multiple weapons) but for a yard crew that noticed the guy and knocked on her door to help.  Homeless dude ended up running away.  The next weekend, that husband put a posse together to go walk to that encampment and kick those guys out.  And it worked.  But that was a different time.  

Somebody, somewhere in South Austin is gonna get these guys wandering into their garage or backyard at night and start blasting.  It'll be painted as cruel and intolerant by Adler and Casar and Kitchen.  But at 3am, a guy is in trying to get into your home through the garage...you're not gonna stop and wonder, "Hey buddy, Austin home prices a little too steep?  I hear ya' man."  The delusion of somebody trying to randomly break into your home to steal your children is insane and we don't need to arm ourselves for that.  But the homeless, under the influence, coming into garages and backyards is absolutely real, it's ubiquitous and only going to get worse.  

Yep. I’m a pacifist more or less about such things so I wouldn’t do it (locked guns in a safe and the key is thrown away so it’s as if we have no guns) but I’m damn sure not voting to convict anyone who blows away someone trying to come through their front door either. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- they are basically creating conditions where people are going to legally shoot homeless people to death with the castle doctrine in Texas. 

Well, as I posted earlier..... this is the loaded 9mm a homeless woman (a former neighbor who divorced and left) dropped at my son’s patio door when she apparently was frightened off when he & the kids returned home one afternoon... before she could break in.
cop took the report & gun downtown, and when she showed up at the station they gave it back to her. Geezuz.

AEB084E2-FC3E-4357-AF72-DCAE75054695.jpeg

754856BC-092B-4585-A1B8-94D85597268F.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

We did our part yesterday at the Millenium Youth Center in East Austin. City Council and their cronies had paid for a truck with LED screens to circle the parking lot showing various politicians and local VIPs who say you should vote against Prop B, and showing little quotes and factoids about how it won’t work, will somehow make the number of homeless and their conditions worse, and you are going to hell if you vote for it. In East Austin, I assume the majority are voting against it anyway but who knows?

C0FBC25D-095B-4595-9F32-2F705F3C3330.jpeg

20 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Have video as well of another who came in my garage before I ran him off.  Police said sorry, nothing we can do.

This kind of thing is part of how police contributed to this problem. Of course there are things they can do. They chose not to. As I said-

12 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

4 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

It’s not going to be close. I am in multiple groups mostly concentrated about the local schools district that skew left and a majority of the people in those groups are voting for prop B.

Completely agree. I’ve got money out on this. Most of it is even money, but I gave as much as +5.

I’ll be happy to be wrong because it’s not a good way to deal with the problem or run a city, but I think it will pass somewhere in the range of 53-57% of the vote.