Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

1 minute ago, TKthunder2 said:

So you’re just a troll.  You’re literally coming in here and shitting on every idea and providing nothing of actual substance.  Yes, you “concentrate “ the homeless in one or multiple areas where they can receive the support and services that EVERY HOMELESS ADVOCATE says they need.  You provide housing, medical care, education/training and make your fucking best attempt to help them as a fellow human being to reclaim some dignity and once again become a contributing member to their community.  I’ve been preaching this for years and doing what I can to support it where I can.  What have you done?

I agree with everything except jail. That only exacerbates the problem.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:04 PM, TKthunder2 said:

Do what San Antonio did.  Spend a couple million on a facility in Far East Austin that is equipped to receive the homeless and parter with local charities, church, community colleges and hospitals to provide these people a real chance to end their homelessness.  Do this in concert with passing very strict anti panhandling, trespassing, vagrancy, loitering laws and allowed trained officers to routinely patrol popular locations where homeless gather and transport them to this new facility.  Those with drug/alcohol problems or mental disorders will be put into a program (also located on site) while the others are monitored then moved into a halfway house type of situation and given food/clothing.  Once they’ve hit the minimum required stay they can be placed into an optional vocational training program and put on a path to gain employment with a city/community partner and moved into an additional halfway house outside of the intake facility.  Have a three strikes policy and then assign those that violate it real jail time as a deterrent for those who are picked up on their third time.  This would give those that want a path out of homelessness a real chance to turn their lives around and remove the homeless by choice from our streets. 

San Antonio is a perfect example of just how frustrating this issue can be, especially when you throw a global pandemic into the mix.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021/04/22/san-antonios-homeless-community-is-becoming-more-visible-after-the-pandemic/

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

This should not be a completely free house where homeless can come home to after panhandling all day for drug money.  Mental health treatments including psych or addiction treatment should be mandatory, along with drug tests, plus a job/education requirement; simply giving free housing is just enablement not a solution.  If you break a law and are homeless you should have to choose, enroll in this free housing program under “probation” or go to court and see what happens.

What will happen is they will go first to county jail, which will quickly get overcrowded, and they will be back out on the street again. Arrest them enough times, and they will end up in state jail or prison, for brief sentences, and then get out again, and we are back to square one.

I am almost to the point of just building tiny houses, cheap motels, man camp-type things, where they will get three hots and a cot, and there are no restrictions on drug or booze use, so long as they don't leave the premises. Free vodka and kush and cheap smack for all. Now, if you get tired of the life and want to get out, then you give them every chance possible, beginning with a halfway house and a job and educational opportunities. But if all you want out of life is to drink or drug yourself to death, the cheapest and even most humane thing to do is to just allow it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

What will happen is they will go first to county jail, which will quickly get overcrowded, and they will be back out on the street again. Arrest them enough times, and they will end up in state jail or prison, for brief sentences, and then get out again, and we are back to square one.

I am almost to the point of just building tiny houses, cheap motels, man camp-type things, where they will get three hots and a cot, and there are no restrictions on drug or booze use, so long as they don't leave the premises. Free vodka and kush and cheap smack for all. Now, if you get tired of the life and want to get out, then you give them every chance possible, beginning with a halfway house and a job and educational opportunities. But if all you want out of life is to drink or drug yourself to death, the cheapest and even most humane thing to do is to just allow it. 

It is debatable whether or not allowing drug addicts to drug themselves to death is humane.  That issue is also not in a vacuum; those folks will be using in our communities, setting examples for others.

We need to allocate resources for the causes of homelessness across the board.  A large processing center makes some sense where homeless can be sorted and sent for drug treatment, foster care, and mental health treatment, or otherwise connected to social services that will hold their hand to get them resources to find housing, education, work, healthcare, or whatever it is they need, but that would require a mechanism for actually getting homeless people there.  That would address 90% of the problem but would require massive investment in increasing state hospital and social services resources.  No one should be sent to jail or dealt with by police unless they have committed an act of violence.  But of course, any homeless person who gets violent should be sent to jail.  The only remaining issue would be homeless people who are somehow sane, not addicted, not violent, and have no desire to have a home or work.  That extremely small number could be given access to a designated free camping area.

Edited by Snake Diggity

I'm not a fan of Prop B, but based on what I'm hearing, reading, seeing, know about the internal politics of Austin...I had this thing pegged at 58-42.  Then I see the David Dennison's and read a few threads on Nextdoor.........nope, people are still falsely conflating making camping in certain places illegal with not properly funding the homelessness challenge in our city.  Once again, both sides fucked up the messaging.  And guess who's gonna bear the brunt?  Compassionate taxpayers like many of us.  

This thing looks closer to 52-48 now.  The "voices of humanity" coalition was biding their time until second half of this week and they're are coming out full blast. 

12 hours ago, David Dennison said:

You'll still see them every day. Just like before. You might not see tent cities, but you'll see plenty of homeless folks.

look, i have sympathy for the homeless. 

but your tactics on this thread are not at all persuasive. 

for birthday in march, my wife wanted to go to south congress and just wander around, maybe catch some drinks outside. anyways, because of covid, obviously, we haven't been downtown, and about a year ago we moved into manchaca proper. we've been used to ben white encampments, and have grown somewhat used to things having lived off manchaca road for years and seeing the evolution there. but jesus, when we exited off mopac onto cesar chavez, my wife, south austin born and bred and an austin high alumna, was heartbroken at the tents and trash all along the hike and bike trail. she was horrified. and she's a good person who is predisposed to sympathy for homeless people. i like to think the same about myself.

and i've got some perspective having worked for the census in 2010. my first job was to count the homeless. the stupid strategy here in austin was to go out at midnight and spend six hours tallying the homeless as they slept. it was madness. but anyways, we spent hours preparing, looking at maps where advocates had told us to find them. there are pockets of woods in places you would never expect where people would sleep and eat. so the night came and it was all overtime federal wages, which were pretty good. anyways, our crew leader was given the okay to start at 5pm and start scouting encampments. we had dogs set on us once behind the heb at the y. then in the night, starting at 10:30pm or whatever, we started the night shift and went all night. we went to all the places, and saw evidence of people, but the people were not there. then in the am, the strategy was to count people at the soup kitchens. those in shelters the night before were given census 2010 t-shirts so we didn't double count. anyways, we were told that the cops had run out the known places and arrested them for camping to keep census people safe.

anyways, tl;dr, i engaged pretty significantly with the homeless in 2010, and there were a lot more than were counted properly. i have sympathy. 

but this shit needs to stop. there's a middle ground between letting the homeless trash the city and writing them off completely. we can try to solve the problem while not having tents up and down the hike and bike trail. though it's also not ideal pushing them into those wooded areas, because i've seen that up close and personal. it's just as druggy and trashy, it's just out of sight.

i'm hoping the city can use this as a learning opportunity ahahaha who am i kidding

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Every successful solution to homelessness seems to involve moving those experiencing homelessness into a form of permanent housing and providing them access to health and child care.

Permanent housing isn't a solution. It is paying for homelessness while not paying for responsible low-income people. So:

it encourage poor locals to be irresponsible

It creates ghettos like the South Side of Chicago which have failed and led to a destruction of the permanent housing

It encourages homeless from other parts of the country to move to Austin thereby growing the homeless population and putting more of a tax burden on Austin residents and decreasing the quality of life of residents and decreasing the amount of visitors (and money) to the city.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

Serious question---we will be blanketed in rain over much of Austin, particularly to the South.  All day tomorrow.  All day.  Sunrise to sunset, every moment the polls are open, it'll be a weather issue.  What do y'all think that'll do to turnout and, of course, to the eventual results?  Our May turnouts have always been historically low because wasn't much going on in terms of heated votes, but this is another animal altogether.  And it's also probably the wettest day we've had in quite awhile.  Casar is already blaming the vote on the rain and wanting a do-over.  

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

The "voices of humanity" coalition was biding their time until second half of this week and they're are coming out full blast. 

Nothing surprises me. This town was able to convince a large amount of voters that Uber/ Lyft drivers would rape you, and cabbies wouldn't, simply because they'd been background checked.

Edited by smoky
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Serious question---we will be blanketed in rain over much of Austin, particularly to the South.  All day tomorrow.  All day.  Sunrise to sunset, every moment the polls are open, it'll be a weather issue.  What do y'all think that'll do to turnout and, of course, to the eventual results?  Our May turnouts have always been historically low because wasn't much going on in terms of heated votes, but this is another animal altogether.  And it's also probably the wettest day we've had in quite awhile.  Casar is already blaming the vote on the rain and wanting a do-over.  

well that is par for the course for that moron.  he is beyond stupid.

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Who knows, but there will be a bunch more trash, feces, and used needles in Town Lake. 

Those old people vote come hell or high water.

Cabo steve should be worried.

Guest Lobo

^

Normally, I would agree.  But the prevailing wisdom up there was that they knew there'd be lots of Pro-B/Save Austin Now folks voting early, and the Austinites that actually care about other humans would vote on election day.  So I'm wondering what happens to that dynamic with all this rain.  What they also forgot about is that many early voters can also smell a perpetrated fraud from a mile away.  Adler shouldn't be scared of losing this vote, he should be scared of what happens to him a year from now when the money trail leads back to his cunt of a face.  

23 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

So you’re just a troll.  You’re literally coming in here and shitting on every idea and providing nothing of actual substance.

New to DD posts I see?  Let me break it down for you. Less than 8 words, in the form of a question, and unbelievably obtuse.   

• Hook 'Em 6

This whole stupid debate is just a microcosm as to how austin is changing.

In the past you had a camping ban that wasn’t really needed and was basically ignored and only sporadically enforced as needed. Worked out ok.

Then some idiots came along and and decided the ban needed to be repealed for reasons and of course the problem turned to complete shit and the inevitable backlash is ensuing. 

Idiots. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

CoA never, and I mean absolutely never, surprises me but I can’t see this passing by anything less than 56-57 points.  

Even if it passes, what’s to keep the council from ignoring it. And who is going to push APD into enforcing it?

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Wheels?

I agree. If this thing passes, and the council and APD do not clean this mess up, the State will certainly get involved.  It would not surprise me to see DPS just fully take over APD in that scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I agree. If this thing passes, and the council and APD do not clean this mess up, the State will certainly get involved.  It would not surprise me to see DPS just fully take over APD in that scenario. 

what concerns me is they(either City/APD or DPS) only  clean up downtown area/trail and not the other 90% of the bullshit on the underpasses and near neighborhoods.  if they don't there are going to be some ugly scenes.

Adler wants it to keep going so he can get his grift($500M of taxpayer money).

DPS/Abbott may only want to take care of areas that could be deemed state controlled, public good.  He'd probably need to declare some type of state emergency to do it all.

42 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Even if it passes, what’s to keep the council from ignoring it. And who is going to push APD into enforcing it?

That’s when Occupy Austin City Hall takes over. Step one is to put Adler in a catapult and let it fly like in that simpsons episode. 

• Hook 'Em 2

In the run up to the repeal of the camping ban two years ago I could see the homeless problem in Austin getting much worse due to reasons that had nothing to do with the ban. Since this is a non political forum it’s not productive to discuss why. 

Repealing the camping ban in my opinion back then was a huge mistake because it was just going to turn the population of Austin AGAINST the homeless and sure enough it did.

The mayor and the council need to pull their collective heads out of their ass and start actually trying to address the problem. They won’t if proposition B fails to pass. 

Guest Lobo

So far the cruel bastards of Austin are speaking loudly, 62-38 after 52% of the vote in.  It's like some of you don't even care if Adler gets from the 26th floor to the 36 floor at the W Residences.  Fucking cold-hearted capitalists, that's all you are. 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

So far the cruel bastards of Austin are speaking loudly, 62-38 after 52% of the vote in.  It's like some of you don't even care if Adler gets from the 26th floor to the 36 floor at the W Residences.  Fucking cold-hearted capitalists, that's all you are. 

Why am I seeing 0% reporting?

went against the extra district because why pay for another council person and add to the potential grift vectors.  - probably fail

similar for the director of police oversight - another position to pay for - the city manager is supposed to do that - looks like will pass

not a fan of ranked choice - looks like will pass

on principle the election vouchers is stupid - looks like it will fail

the big ones of king mayor and homeless are thank goodness passing