Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

On 3/9/2021 at 3:33 PM, Lobo said:

I knew when a neighbor got shouted down online. She was expressing serious concerns as a female running around Town Lake at many points where these camps are setup along the trail.  And of course, the virtue signaling progressives shouted her down as being overly concerned with her privilege.  Basically, "Obviously nobody wants anything physical to happen to any woman...but your need to exercise does not supersede these people's right to simply live."  

This whole mess is gonna get worse before it gets better.  I love that the two blocks along the trail where no camping is allowed is the block in front of City Hall and the block in front of Adler's condo's view to Town Lake.

6 years in, two years of that really bad with the camping and violence.......not one fucking solution of root causes put forth by Council or Adler.  Never mind no allocation of resources.  Absolutely incredible.  The grift on the real estate their only solution because you can't shakedown a social worker for kick-backs.  I'm sure Casar tried. 

Sounds like Carville was right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Why would you want to leave it up to the people in whom you have no faith to make prudent decisions?

It should have been left up to the voters. Solutions and plans should have been proposed and voted on. We are going to help our homeless. These are the proven ways (other successful places) to help them. Put it on ballot. Voters get to vote. Jmo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

It should have been left up to the voters. Solutions and plans should have been proposed and voted on. We are going to help our homeless. These are the proven ways (other successful places) to help them. Put it on ballot. Voters get to vote. Jmo. 

All of which struggle with homeless populations.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

All of which struggle with homeless populations.

That have had success. There are places. I’ve listed them a couple of times upthread. It won’t be totally eradicated but they need electricity, water a bed food and counseling, help with addiction, career help. If someone wants to continue to be homeless. If there is help offered and they refuse it it is a person’s right. They can continue to live how they want. Just not here. Sorry. 

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Tell them to move along by date TBD, then trash all their “belongings” and power wash/fire hose the areas?

Fire hose was how they eventually got Leslie to move from the Albertson's up north to downtown. 

24 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Homeless population in Austin has increased 45% since the ban was lifted.

more precisely - 

Between 2019 and 2020, Austin's unsheltered homeless population jumped by 45%, from 1,086 to 1,574, while the sheltered population dropped 20%, from 1,169 to 932.

Overall, the total population of individuals experiencing homelessness grew by 11%, from 2,255 to 2,506 individuals.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/central-austin/public-safety/2020/05/19/austins-unsheltered-homeless-population-surges-by-45-overall-homeless-population-up-11-conservative-estimates-show/

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

That have had success. There are places. I’ve listed them a couple of times upthread. It won’t be totally eradicated but they need electricity, water a bed food and counseling, help with addiction, career help. If someone wants to continue to be homeless. If there is help offered and they refuse it it is a person’s right. They can continue to live how they want. Just not here. Sorry. 

Sure they can.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

But I’m sure they have a collection of P. krugman’s books & missives on the shelves in their tent libraries.

Shocked the city council didn't buy them all Kindles. 

711 convenience stores have had success by playing classical music at a somewhat low but annoying volume outside their stores to discourage loitering etc. just start blasting shitty music at nite. I mentioned this earlier. I personally love the Urban Cowboy soundtrack but this current crop of non-austinites who flocked here after the ban was lifted may not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

711 convenience stores have had success by playing classical music at a somewhat low but annoying volume outside their stores to discourage loitering etc. just start blasting shitty music at nite. I mentioned this earlier. I personally love the Urban Cowboy soundtrack but this current crop of non-austinites who flocked here after the ban was lifted may not. 

'Anti-Homeless' Hostile Architecture - https://interestingengineering.com/15-examples-of-anti-homeless-hostile-architecture-that-you-probably-never-noticed-before

• Hook 'Em 2

I found the perfect movie and movie soundtrack that can be played at night to get people moving on (no fire hoses necessary or other mean stuff.) also, word in the homeless community travels fast. They know what’s up. Quite a few will get the flock out of here on their own. 

I digress. I have done a ton of research. Essentially, I have a vast library of movies and songs from those movies in my pea sized brain. Play this soundtrack at night. Project the movie on walls. People. Will. leave. 

5769DD6D-3F7B-43B7-BFCB-4D0F0508F63F.jpeg

• Haha 1

All repealing the camping ban did was remove any sympathy for the plight of the homeless. Oh, and somehow make money for our mayor and city council members and their cronies.

It's so fucking insane that a cam whore is the voice of reason on our city council. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Deej said:

All repealing the camping ban did was remove any sympathy for the plight of the homeless. Oh, and somehow make money for our mayor and city council members and their cronies.

It's so fucking insane that a cam whore is the voice of reason on our city council. 

Who's the cam whore?

18 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

This thread so needs to be moved to the CR. The poo flinging and rep bombing (pos and neg) has begun. Move it back if it gets anything close to apolitical.

There’s nothing political about cam whores. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Baby Shark on repeat ought to do it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

So I’m curious what happens now?  Do the cops just go write them tickets?  Do the tent cities get confiscated?  I haven’t seen any detail on how this ban will play out, other than the poor APD guys that will have to deal with it.  Or not.  

If we let the cops just shoot the homeless, the police will be volunteering for the opportunity.

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

This thread so needs to be moved to the CR. The poo flinging and rep bombing (pos and neg) has begun. Move it back if it gets anything close to apolitical.

With the exception of a troll or two trying to stir up shit this thread has been very civil...unlike most that are in the CR.

Also local Austin issues have always been in current events.

11 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Tell them to move along by date TBD, then trash all their “belongings” and power wash/fire hose the areas?

The problem is you aren't separating out the people who need help, and the people who steal/fuck around/etc.

Those people that need help, they are probably already at the lowest point of their lives, and having the public vote on this, telling them to GTFO and having cops trash their belongings is going to completely yank the rug out from under them.  Some people think they'll go back to being out-of-site in the woods/greenbelts/etc. but that's a pipe dream. And some of those folks are going to truly snap.

We are truly the most fucking stupid of mid-sized cities in the US.  It's like if aggy were running a city.

I blame Adler and the entire City Council.  I wish we could get a recall going, kick everybody out of office, and tell potential candidates "okay, here's your shot, give us your solutions to the homeless issues, etc."

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

fcb5ae0bc8336c84cc1fd0df323666ad.jpg
One of my anti prop B “neighbors” on NextDoor has some interesting takes.

edit: while I don’t disagree with providing basic services for people in need, I strongly disagree that you should enable a drunk or heroine addict and give them everything they need to continue their destructive behavior.  Im pro legalizing everything but I’m also pro personal responsibility/accountability.

Edited by TKthunder2