Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

Guest Lobo

Weren't there two machete attacks last year by homeless people on citizens (one by freebird's and another by a train stattion?  Is this security detail some kinda ironic performance art?  

Who sees a NBC news crew and runs up wielding a sword and asks, "Hey Trisha, these suits bothering you?"  We're getting into a cyclical race to insanity between our elected leaders, our homeless population, and now the city hall squatters/mercenaries.  What the fuck?  They're all just seeing who can out-do who with lunacy and leave the rest of us to pick up the tab, the needles, and the bodies off the street.  Real cool Stevie, real cool! 

Any of y'all know anybody at KXAN?  I mean, I'd like to know Sydney Benter as friends.  But anybody know any reporters or producers there?  I've got something else I found through a real estate colleague with a drinking problem about Adler and these homeless encampments.  Statesman won't touch it yet because it's just enough to run an article with quite yet---and I get that.  But I would think KXAN after seeing their team threatened at knife-point may be willing to do a little more digging and run with it.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Lhorn said:

What could go wrong?  They’ve done a great job managing their lives up til now surely they can be entrusted to walk the streets with 2 foot long blades. 

look at you, you uncaring son of a bitch. haven't you heard that none of this is their fault?  Its all mental illness/genetic.

the Bootstraps! Brigade will be along to punish you accordingly

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

look at you, you uncaring son of a bitch. haven't you heard that none of this is their fault?  Its all mental illness/genetic.

I heard they were victims of the economy. 

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

What happens when another group of people wants to protest a separate issue at city hall now? 

Send fitlump out to mediate the situation.

As long as Adler can’t hear the racket up in his $4,000,000 luxury condo, it don’t make a shit.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Send fitlump out to mediate the situation.

As long as Adler can’t hear the racket up in his $4,000,000 luxury condo, it don’t make a shit.

This has gone as badly for Adler as anything could possibly go. Case in point, he was just on Joe Rogan’s show today to talk the homeless issue. watch if you want to feel triggered. By whatever. 

I should say that this has gone as badly for the homeless as it can possibly go. It angers me and makes me physically sick. I don’t hate homeless people. I want to help people as much as I am able to. Adler can get bent. This mofo is so glib about it detrimentally impacting the lives of thousands. Shit plan from the start and a haphazard bizarre plan to enforce PropB which should never have been necessary in the first damn place. Ugghhh. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Lulz.

On Monday, KXAN spoke with a woman experiencing homelessness at City Hall who explained that those camping outside of the City Council building have formed their own “security detail.”

“We have a whole security team here,” Trisha English said, adding that she and others work shifts to make sure they’re securing the area 24 hours a day. She says when it’s her turn, she wears a bulletproof vest.

“I secure this camp to make sure everybody’s okay and make sure things do not get deescalated [sic] to the point where they have to call APD because APD is completely corrupted,” English said.

During the interview with English, a man with a machete came up, asking English if she wanted the KXAN News crew there. The man said to the news crew that he was part of the encampment’s security detail.

Those trading off shifts can often be seen wearing a vest, carrying one or more knives and using walkie talkies.

KXAN has reached out to APD, asking whether officers are aware of the group organizing its own detail. KXAN has also asked APD at what point it would consider that a threat to public safety and if that would result in officers clearing out the encampment ahead of the July deadline.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/homeless-campers-around-city-hall-form-their-own-armed-security-detail/

The whole "experiencing homelessness" is so forced it's just funny at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

This has gone as badly for Adler as anything could possibly go. Case in point, he was just on Joe Rogan’s show today to talk the homeless issue. watch if you want to feel triggered. By whatever. 

Adler is so oblivious that he just puts his disdain for Austin voters right in the middle of that spotlight for all to see and hear. 

Jeebus titty fuckin' kriste!

29 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Adler is so oblivious that he just puts his disdain for Austin voters right in the middle of that spotlight for all to see and hear. 

Jeebus titty fuckin' kriste!

Yep. “We decided against permanent camping sites two years ago because they don’t work and become intractable.” All with this Stoops-like dick eating grin on his face. 

47 minutes ago, Cajun said:

The whole "experiencing homelessness" is so forced it's just funny at this point.

yeah, its ridiculous. its not their fault and its only temporary!  the language o' the woke.

I liked the asking LA and SF "if you could go back in time what would you do then based on what you know now". with the answer being "if you hide this challenge it is going to get so big you won't be able to handle it".

see the plan is working. next up is the asking for more money which includes the grift/skim.  the dude is pure evil.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Lulz.

On Monday, KXAN spoke with a woman experiencing homelessness at City Hall who explained that those camping outside of the City Council building have formed their own “security detail.”

“We have a whole security team here,” Trisha English said, adding that she and others work shifts to make sure they’re securing the area 24 hours a day. She says when it’s her turn, she wears a bulletproof vest.

“I secure this camp to make sure everybody’s okay and make sure things do not get deescalated [sic] to the point where they have to call APD because APD is completely corrupted,” English said.

During the interview with English, a man with a machete came up, asking English if she wanted the KXAN News crew there. The man said to the news crew that he was part of the encampment’s security detail.

Those trading off shifts can often be seen wearing a vest, carrying one or more knives and using walkie talkies.

KXAN has reached out to APD, asking whether officers are aware of the group organizing its own detail. KXAN has also asked APD at what point it would consider that a threat to public safety and if that would result in officers clearing out the encampment ahead of the July deadline.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/homeless-campers-around-city-hall-form-their-own-armed-security-detail/

giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yeah, its ridiculous. its not their fault and its only temporary!  the language o' the woke.

There's sticking a "10" in gymnastics and then there's doing the same on past and current evolution of language to the ridiculous shit we hear today.  Just crushes it --

Edited by Cajun

26 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yep. “We decided against permanent camping sites two years ago because they don’t work and become intractable.” All with this Stoops-like dick eating grin on his face. 

you can't ask for more money if you don't make it painful for the people you want to rip the money from.  Its similar to what the mafia does when they provide you with "protection".

8 hours ago, dcar00 said:

And still Casar hasn't offered up the Home Depot in his district...

Casar on KXAN last week claimed they couldn’t use it as a homeless camp site because it’s under a bond issue.  It was supposed to be a police station, jail, and courthouse to remove some of the burden on the downtown facilities but despite the bond passing the “district” rejected this idea and now the city is on the hook for the bond money so they are trying to get a developer to buy the property and payoff the bond for them, so according to him “legally” it can’t be used as a homeless camp, although I think a more appropriate term would be that the city doesn’t want to eat that bond money (despite having $500 million+ to spend on hotels) and Casar is using his influence to steer public discussion away from that Home Depot site with big words and half truths.

Same shit different day. Casar is responsible for the cluster fuck but in no way does he want his district to take the brunt of it. Fuckers. I created this mess but I am making it your problem. I hate that shit. You wanted this so your district should be stuck with it. 

41 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Casar on KXAN last week claimed they couldn’t use it as a homeless camp site because it’s under a bond issue.  It was supposed to be a police station, jail, and courthouse to remove some of the burden on the downtown facilities but despite the bond passing the “district” rejected this idea and now the city is on the hook for the bond money so they are trying to get a developer to buy the property and payoff the bond for them, so according to him “legally” it can’t be used as a homeless camp, although I think a more appropriate term would be that the city doesn’t want to eat that bond money (despite having $500 million+ to spend on hotels) and Casar is using his influence to steer public discussion away from that Home Depot site with big words and half truths.

the irony is casar wants it used for affordable housing.  what's more affordable than tents?

16 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

So when asked what he would do different he says he would go back and expand his one "solution" that is his obvious pride and joy.  That was a solution that impacted all of 6% of the homeless population and its success was predicated upon funds from the government teet.  Sounds like no plan for 94% to me. 

Edited by RollLeft
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

So when asked what would he would do different he says he would go back to his one "solution" that is his obvious pride and joy.  That was a solution that impacted all of 6% of the homeless population and its success was predicated upon funds from the government teet.  Sounds like no plan for 94% to me. 

In other words, he doesn’t give a shit about the homeless. So frustrating.

53 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Right before that did he pause and say, "Hold on, let me reach into my Crazy 8 bag of bullshit excuses"?

What a scurge that fuck is to the city of Austin.

Just now, Nicole44 said:

In other words, he doesn’t give a shit about the homeless. So frustrating.

The sooner you stop looking for something good to expect from Cabo Steve and his merry band of woke grifters the sooner you'll feel your sanity return.

Expect absolutely nothing and you'll never be disappointed.

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

The sooner you stop looking for something good to expect from Cabo Steve and his merry band of woke grifters the sooner you'll feel your sanity return.

Expect absolutely nothing and you'll never be disappointed.

I never expected much of anything out of asshat. I am frustrated that they can be so glib about all of this. It’s not shocking. But his whole face triggers me at this point. SOB deserves to be recalled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Arrogance (glibness) is in the woke crowd DNA.  Adler is one of the local Black Belts in that practice.  Frog and the scorpion.  Scorpions do what scorpions do.  What should trigger you is the fact that it takes a shitload of people (aka, overeducated morons) to have put and kept that fuckstick in his positon.  

They are your neighbors.

They call the shots on how you have to live.  And when ole Cabo Steve is gone, they'll install another idiot puppet grifter who says the things that make 'em feel good.  Best of luck.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 6

15 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

“And that’s where we made the mistake.”  Yeah dude, no fucking shit.

He did make a point about the vets that resonated: they come with additional resources.  So do minors; I don’t know the numbers, but hopefully the % of Austin homeless under 18 is very low, because there’s no excuse for not getting those kids in foster homes or orphanages.  Another group with additional resources should be the elderly, as I’m sure there is some way to get them SSI help.  So really we are talking about people aged 18-65 who aren’t veterans who need additional resources.  It might be a good approach to engage non-government resources to divvy up the homeless into more manageable groups and finding the additional resources to get them housed and reintegrated.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RollLeft said:

So when asked what would he would do different he says he would go back to his one "solution" that is his obvious pride and joy.  That was a solution that impacted all of 6% of the homeless population and its success was predicated upon funds from the government teet.  Sounds like no plan for 94% to me. 

100% this. A solution that utilized additional federal funding, and another source of outside private funding to stabilize (not decrease) the amount of homeless vets. That worked for 6%.

This clown thinks that will work without either of those funding sources for 15x the amount of non-service folks? 

7 hours ago, Cajun said:

Arrogance (glibness) is in the woke crowd DNA.  Adler is one of the local Black Belts in that practice.  Frog and the scorpion.  Scorpions do what scorpions do.  What should trigger you is the fact that it takes a shitload of people (aka, overeducated morons) to have put and kept that fuckstick in his positon.  

They are your neighbors.

They call the shots on how you have to live.  And when ole Cabo Steve is gone, they'll install another idiot puppet grifter who says the things that make 'em feel good.  Best of luck.

That bears repeating.

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

At least 3, as many as 6, locations on that new camping relocation list.  They are adjacent to sites that developers have been wanting to buy for awhile.  Former clients of Mayor Adler, current clients of his wife, and future clients of former Mayor Adler. 

Guess what'll happen to the market value of those sites when 50 homeless move in to each of them for temporary camping?  

Guess who'll help their friends lock in those lower prices?  

Guess who'll post-date an order moving the homeless camps out of those areas 90 days after he leaves office, thus bringing those sites back to up market value?  

The man is a criminal.  It's not hyperbole.  It's not politics.  If you support him at all these days, you are supporting a fraudulent piece of human trash. 

On 5/22/2021 at 8:51 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Weird I thought y’all’s feelings told you the homeless population had multiplied as they had just poured into this town, beckoned by  ample sidewalk camping and friendly folks!

Count shows Austin's homeless population hasn't grown since 2020

I sure as fuck ain't gonna go around counting them, but that ~3150 number seems real fucking low based on my observations in my limited driving around town. It's kind of like how the official unemployment rate the government always touts is based on the number of people actively looking for work, and disregards all those that have just said fuck it and aren't even trying. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I sure as fuck ain't gonna go around counting them, but that ~3150 number seems real fucking low based on my observations in my limited driving around town. It's kind of like how the official unemployment rate the government always touts is based on the number of people actively looking for work, and disregards all those that have just said fuck it and aren't even trying. 

Oh, now you've done it. Bozo will be along shortly to make fun of you for not trusting government provided statistics.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

He’s just speaking power to truth

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

They are your neighbors.

The next person who replaces Steve will be worse/woke. Book it. We will double down. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 2

54 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I agree with you.  And look,  Count shows Austin's homeless population grew a lot from 2017-2020

Same paper, a year earlier.  They reported, among other things:
- 11% increase in homeless, 2020 from 2019
- 45% increase in # of unsheltered homeless people, same span
- 20% drop in sheltered homeless people, same span
- 7% increase in housed people from 2018-2020
- 25% increase in same from 2016-2020
- highest # of homless, lowest # of sheltered since 2011

Now, it's very possible that these numbers aren't true measures of increase, just a snapshot, as the pro-homeless advocacy official said:
“We’re not reporting that there is a 45% increase in unsheltered homelessness in our community. I want to make that really clear,” Mollica said. “The PIT count will tell you that that’s what happened when we counted folks in one night. But ECHO doesn’t believe that from (the) 2019 to 2020 PIT count we’ve seen an increase in 45% of unsheltered homelessness in our community.”

Fair enough, but that's the point, and that's your point, and I agree.  In other words, they have no fucking clue as to how many homeless exist, or even how many more (or less) have entered this city since the camping allowance went into effect.  All of these numbers are dice rolls.

And again, another quote from an ECHO exec:
“So, is homelessness increasing in Austin or are we actually getting a more accurate count? We think that we’re getting a more accurate count of the existing homeless population,” she said.

You think?  But you really don't know, do you?  You base your conclusion on running out one night and taking a head count?  Don't think that's gonna cut it.

The answer is, we really don't know.  And with the camping ordinance lifted, it's very possible that the "one night count" crowd missed some spots.

But even if it's true that the camping allowance didn't cause a huge rush into town (but I absolutely believe it caused an increase in the population, no question in my mind), that's not the point.  The point is that the homeless shouldn't have been allowed to plop down almost wherever they felt like it.  So whether it fostered an increase or not, that's a secondary issue.  The real issue is much of the city was starting to look like the worst parts of New Delhi, or even worse, San Francisco.  That's the reason the ban won in a landslide.  The rest really is academic.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

At least 3, as many as 6, locations on that new camping relocation list.  They are adjacent to sites that developers have been wanting to buy for awhile.  Former clients of Mayor Adler, current clients of his wife, and future clients of former Mayor Adler. 

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

43 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

INow, it's very possible that these numbers aren't true measures of increase, just a snapshot, as the pro-homeless advocacy official said:
“We’re not reporting that there is a 45% increase in unsheltered homelessness in our community. I want to make that really clear,” Mollica said. “The PIT count will tell you that that’s what happened when we counted folks in one night. But ECHO doesn’t believe that from (the) 2019 to 2020 PIT count we’ve seen an increase in 45% of unsheltered homelessness in our community.”

If you wanna know what the true North of this dipshit is, pay no attention to what he/she wants to "make really clear".  Pay attention to the litany of things they wan't to keep hidden and in the shadows.  It's always about what they don't want to talk about.  In fact, the minute I hear one of 'em say, "Let me be clear" or "make this really clear" or whatever along those lines I immediately start looking for the Yang to that Yin.  It's very often much larger and more compelling.

Gigantic red flag.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2

49 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The next person who replaces Steve will be worse/woke. Book it. We will double down. 

Not one atom of doubt in my mind.  

So sayth the shepherd, so sayeth the flock.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I agree with you.  And look,  Count shows Austin's homeless population grew a lot from 2017-2020

Same paper, a year earlier.  They reported, among other things:
- 11% increase in homeless, 2020 from 2019
- 45% increase in # of unsheltered homeless people, same span
- 20% drop in sheltered homeless people, same span
- 7% increase in housed people from 2018-2020
- 25% increase in same from 2016-2020
- highest # of homless, lowest # of sheltered since 2011

Now, it's very possible that these numbers aren't true measures of increase, just a snapshot, as the pro-homeless advocacy official said:

Fair enough, but that's the point, and that's your point, and I agree.  In other words, they have no fucking clue as to how many homeless exist, or even how many more (or less) have entered this city since the camping allowance went into effect.  All of these numbers are dice rolls.

And again, another quote from an ECHO exec:
“So, is homelessness increasing in Austin or are we actually getting a more accurate count? We think that we’re getting a more accurate count of the existing homeless population,” she said.

You think?  But you really don't know, do you?  You base your conclusion on running out one night and taking a head count?  Don't think that's gonna cut it.

The answer is, we really don't know.  And with the camping ordinance lifted, it's very possible that the "one night count" crowd missed some spots.

But even if it's true that the camping allowance didn't cause a huge rush into town (but I absolutely believe it caused an increase in the population, no question in my mind), that's not the point.  The point is that the homeless shouldn't have been allowed to plop down almost wherever they felt like it.  So whether it fostered an increase or not, that's a secondary issue.  The real issue is much of the city was starting to look like the worst parts of New Delhi, or even worse, San Francisco.  That's the reason the ban won in a landslide.  The rest really is academic.

they don't know.  Adler wants it to be the same so he can say that his policy didn't bring more homeless here, talking point.   I'm sure he knew exactly what number was going to be "reported".  the thought is ECHO would want the count to be as high as possible because more homeless means more federal dollars so why would they minimize it.  my guess is there is probably a law of diminishing returns when it comes to that.  I'm sure it is way more important for Adler to have the talking point, at this time.

no one believes it is a couple thousand(chronic).

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

One of my favorite things about watching city council and zoning hearings is the one guy who always testifies that doesn't agree with the methodology of the traffic study on a new project, in part based on what he observes driving around.  Don't be that guy.

On your other point, because I am here to bring fire to humanity. 

Don't believe the political hype. The unemployment rate and the LPR are two separate things.  Labor participation rate tends to (slowly!) follow wages, which tend (also at a sticky pace) to follow the employment rate. In other words, low unemployment tends to cause wages to rise slowly, which incents more people to enter the workforce, which increases the labor supply, which in turn slows wage growth.
And the cycle is true in reverse - when wage growth is slow or nonexistent, less people have a reason to be in the workforce, which reduces the labor supply, which causes employment to rise, which pressures wages upward.

While consumption tends to increase labor demand by consuming goods and services (and I'm going to superficially work within a Keynesian framework here because it's superficially true), productivity (the output per hour kind or the GDP per capita kind) tends to suppress the demand for labor because it takes less people to produce the goods and services that people consume.

So, both are useful numbers, but they mean different things. Unemployment rate is about a numerator. LPR is about a denominator. 
united-states-labor-force-participation-

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 5/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, Nicole44 said:

Rogan is as wet a rag as the other. 

Jesus, if you're going to conduct an interview at least challenge the guy on some of his bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2