Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

4 minutes ago, Orale said:

Some variation of thunders idea. Buy some land for thousands to camp at. Make it nice. Provide basic shower, toilet, laundry facilities. That's less than $50 million. These people want to camp and be independent. The idea that they're going to live in motel rooms for more than a short time before they get bored and go back to tent living is idiotic.

Again, ban tents.

Problem solved.

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

YEP.  I'm not saying that's a solution for all of them, but the point is there will always be transients, and they need to live up to that name again.  They need to be transient.  They cannot be a continuous burden on one city forever.  

some would actually Prefer to be closer to family. Make it happen 

On 7/15/2021 at 8:52 AM, Biff Tannen said:

YEP.  I'm not saying that's a solution for all of them, but the point is there will always be transients, and they need to live up to that name again.  They need to be transient.  They cannot be a continuous burden on one city forever.  

Indemnify the railroads and bring back the glory days of the freight train hobos. 

• Like 1

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/new-city-of-austin-reveals-location-of-2-proposed-homeless-encampment-sites/

City of Austin reveals location for 2 proposed homeless encampment sites

AUSTIN (KXAN) — The City of Austin revealed two City-owned locations on Monday that may serve as short-term encampments for people experiencing homelessness.

According to the City, the preliminary recommended sites are: 

3511 Manor Road in east Austin (between Airport Boulevard and Berkman Drive)

4011 Convict Hill Road in southwest Austin (between Brodie Lane and Latta Drive)

The City says those two sites will go under further review and consideration. Both locations will require rezoning to allow for the installation of temporary prefabricated structures, known as micro shelters, that can house people on site.

According to a memo, Homeless Strategy Officer Diana Grey and Parks and Recreation Department Director Kimberly McNeeley say that staff is “actively pursuing steps to prepare both sites for City Council consideration.”

The City cites close access to CapMetro public transportation, the ability to control the site and flow of traffic around it, and access to utilities as positives for the two locations. The City also plans to install fencing and provide 24/7 security should the sites be utilized for temporary housing purposes.

The City originally released a list of 45 potential campsites in May. However, cuts were made after Texas lawmakers passed a camping ban, prohibiting people experiencing homelessness from staying in parks.

A briefing about the two sites is expected to be provided at a City Council Work Session on July 27.

The release says staff could start gathering stakeholder feedback on both properties in August which would include community meetings, opportunities to speak at City Council meetings, and community surveys via SpeakUp Austin.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:04 AM, Wally Pryor said:

One win noted this morning...that shithold of a garbage dump / mess / campsite immediately outside the front doors of El Borrego on Congress has been cleaned and scraped.  It was a disgusting fucking mess - dude wasn't even camping, more so just seemed to be piling up garbage, and piling up more of it, right outside the entrance of a business.   A joke. 

Silly me.   That dump is back and I guess it never really moved.  It's now sitting closer to the gas station there but still just a pile of shit, garbage and crap with a guy laying next to  / in it. 

Yeah, to call it a "dump site" is incorrect.  Even to the most unenlightened, the term suggests some modicum of waste management practices.  It looks like a mini version of those trash piles in "Idiocracy."  Just completely unbound piles of trash and human feces, held up by nothing but well wishes from Greg Casar.  I hadn't been on that stretch of 2222/290 between IH-35 and Airport in a while.  Wow, the area between the frontage road and Linc/Highland area looks like it's getting larger, not smaller in terms of encampments. 

Hot Damn, we are truly a progressive city.  Absolutely no end game whatsoever, no long term plan of any kind, no accountability or metrics, just tens and tens of millions of dollars that has so far yet to treat one homeless person for their root issues.  Y'all must be so goddamned proud.  

Edited by Lobo

Toronto finally enforcing removing camps after ample warning. Austin is going to have to do that same. The homeless who have left leave behind stolen shit everywhere. There are still occupied tents under over passes up by 183 Costco which have bike parts everywhere. Some of the vacant sites have bike tires and remnants of a bike shop operation. Fuck these cockroaches. Nothing good comes with them. No community is enriched by having these assholes around.

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Toronto finally enforcing removing camps after ample warning. Austin is going to have to do that same. The homeless who have left leave behind stolen shit everywhere. There are still occupied tents under over passes up by 183 Costco which have bike parts everywhere. Some of the vacant sites have bike tires and remnants of a bike shop operation. Fuck these cockroaches. Nothing good comes with them. No community is enriched by having these assholes around.

0:15 in that video made my day.   And week.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

0:15 in that video made my day.   And week.

supposedly there were only 5 or 6 homeless. the rest are protesters. all those younger idiots are protesters protecting the homeless' right to live and shit anywhere they damn well please.

i was shocked...Burnet/183 was cleared out today. like...the portable handwashing station is still there... all by itself. there's no remnants. tbf that was one of the 'cleaner' encampments, the residents seemed to try to keep things neat.

there was what i assume was an actual stolen car under there all last week with the hood up...maybe they got their ride running and headed off to greener pastures lol

• Hook 'Em 1

Meh, it's the ambience our city leaders love.  If it was up to them the entire city would be plastered with homeless tents.

On the positive side, the clusterfuck dump outside El Borrego that had inched toward the gas station has been completely scraped.  Gone.  

Edited by Wally Pryor

On 7/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, dcar00 said:

oak knoll and 183 is still a disaster zone.  more tents there than on intersections 3 times as large on 183.

Who gives a shit whether there are tents under highway underpasses. Is it messing up your chance to panhandle there like normal?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, HookEm said:

What is the situation with the trail around town lake? Still a shit show? Was thinking of burning an expiring Hyatt night down at the Hyatt Regency.

It’s much better but still needs some work. There were never any tents on the trail itself but mostly around downtown around city hall. Most are gone but a few remain. 

On 7/21/2021 at 8:11 AM, hornian said:

There was a large tractor under the overpass at 183/Duval this AM, I thought that they were finally clearing things out.

Alas, just a mower getting ready to mow the medians. 

I take that round about at Oak Knoll everyday going home and am constantly vigilant that some drunk bum will wonder into the turn. It is shameful and infuriating. 

• 3 weeks later...
Went to ATX and was glad to see Ladybird lake from Caesar Chavez. It was a disgusting shit filled encampment/dump not too long ago.
Anyway, Portland looks like what Austin would be if they just gave up completely.
https://instagram.com/portlandlookslikeshit?utm_medium=copy_link
This Instagram is so sad

Holy shit. No doubt Austin was on that path. It’s mind blowing that anyone would not support a “camping” ban.
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Still plenty of tents at 2222 and Airport.  It's been, what, 3 months?  Feels like that should be plenty of time to get this ban in place.

I think they had a priority list that included public parks first.

290 is still littered with litter and bums. Thank God I moved from near there off Manchaca. 

290/71 and Manchaca was looking remarkably better when I was there about two weeks ago.  Like, it was shockingly clean.  Just a couple of guys panhandling at the corners, but no debris, the underpasses had even been scrubbed by a street sweeper.  Unless they're starting to move back in again recently after being forced out from the more high profile locations.  

Yesterday, I noticed around UT, there has been a big uptick in "cleanup."  Near 35, off Lamar by west campus, couple small camps by the med school, etc.  Shit seems to be in high gear, trash trucks all over the place, piles of mattresses and shit.  And they're rounding up those recycling bins and porta's they had out there for them.  I'm guessing that was a note from Hartzell to Adler, "Hey asshole, I gotta run a 75,000 person city inside your fucked-up one.  Help me out and clean up the shit your voters told you to clean 4 goddamn months ago.  This is my third semester on the job and every one of the 'em I gotta deal with Covid and your fucking homelessness problem effecting my students.  You want to field the phone calls from angry/scared parents asshole?  "

I mean, I'm paraphrasing, but I think that's what it said.  

Fun fact, UT's School of Social Work offered Adler and Council a small army of undergraduate students with faculty/grad student supervision case workers to go triage the homeless population.  They got a big grant to send them out, for course credit, to do everything from an identification database, connect with them with family across the country that lost touch, to what kind of mental illness they may have, begin substance addiction treatments, assign to more serious case workers, connect with other services/NGO/non-profits, identify which would be best suited by the hotel housing program, etc., etc., etc.  Adler said "No, thank you.  You're a state institution and I don't want the State of Texas telling us what to do with our homeless population."  Meanwhile the guy's supporters bitch constantly about the State of Texas doesn't do more for mental health/addiction.  

That's when I knew this wasn't about aesthetics of homeless anymore.  This is all merely about a corrupt and morally bankrupt human being, Mayor Steve Adler.  The fucking Homeless Czar or whatever her fucking title is, this is her fucking job.  And I'm bringing you a free program to get all of this information and get people the true help they need, not a fucking smoking room at an old Motel 6 for 90 days.  Real social workers doing real work.  But nope, you can't shake down a foundation grant or grift from a social work professor's salary.  No money in it for Stevie, so he wasn't interested.  Plus he didn't want people to know the real reason so many of these people are homeless.  Hint, it's not because Austin citizens are mean and don't want to buy a dozen hotels. 

Edited by Lobo

I had the over at 180 days, post Prop B passage, when it came to the city really cleaning this shit up.  That ticket's going to cash easily.  Manchaca and 290 looks like a regular street now, what a novel concept.  Other areas, not so much.    

183 / Oak Knoll. 

E9zSVdZXIAU6yUy?format=jpg&name=small

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I had the over at 180 days, post Prop B passage, when it came to the city really cleaning this shit up.  That ticket's going to cash easily.  Manchaca and 290 looks like a regular street now, what a novel concept.  Other areas, not so much.    

183 / Oak Knoll. 

God dammit.  I was at Airport and 2222 yesterday and it's better than it used to be, but still a dozen tents strewn about over a quarter mile area.

Organizing with the other large breed dog owners in my complex to schedule night patrols. So far we've got another vet who has insomnia and his Akita, an EMT who gets off his shift at 10 and his GSD, guy with some kind of big ass bulldog, and me and Luna of course.

Deterrence is the goal, but if someone decides to fuck around they will most definitely find out.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, Wally Pryor said:

183 / Oak Knoll. 

This is a photo from today at the 183/Oak Knoll underpass. They actually cleaned it out today. Saw them loading all the trash/tents into a dumpster truck with a mechanical arm. 

Can't believe it actually happened. 

IMG_2170.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 10:37 AM, MissingInAction said:

Organizing with the other large breed dog owners in my complex to schedule night patrols. So far we've got another vet who has insomnia and his Akita, an EMT who gets off his shift at 10 and his GSD, guy with some kind of big ass bulldog, and me and Luna of course.

Deterrence is the goal, but if someone decides to fuck around they will most definitely find out.

You live next to a camp or what?  

It's also mind blowing that housing is not a right in a country that can't be bothered with the aesthetics of homelessness.

Look, I am sympathetic to people experiencing homelessness, but if you or anyone thinks what was/is happening in austin or is continuing to happen in cities like Seattle and SFOs is any kind of solution, then my mind is double blown.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Axle Hongsnort said:

Look, I am sympathetic to people experiencing homelessness, but if you or anyone thinks what was/is happening in austin or is continuing to happen in cities like Seattle and SFOs is any kind of solution, then my mind is double blown.

That's why those people should have a right to housing. 

8 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Well, then we're going to have a never ending homeless problem.

I know. But we’ll also have a never ending house providing program as well.  And a homeless problem, because as it’s well documented thru this thread, some folks just want to live on the street.