Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

1 minute ago, ROFL BOX said:

What's the extra special about that other than a large stainless top?

No clue. I dont know if the top is thicker and more uniform heat delivery or what. But the stuff he does on it seems outside the scope of a Blackstone or whatever. Not 4100 bucks outside the scope,  but cool nonetheless. 

Just found Sam the cooking guy the other day. Dude can make some food.  Did his homemade naan chicken taco things. 
And now I want a round flat top. 

I appreciate the minor fuckups and cussing as well.

The carne asada I made from this was awesome as well. And I need to do the breakfast chorizo hash tacos he did as well.
  • Like 1

No clue. I dont know if the top is thicker and more uniform heat delivery or what. But the stuff he does on it seems outside the scope of a Blackstone or whatever. Not 4100 bucks outside the scope,  but cool nonetheless. 

I think it’s just the way it’s built into the entire outdoor kitchen.

Probably more work than it was worth, but fuck it. Everything done on the smoker other than the rice. And yeah, I think I posted something similar lately, suck it. 

Smoked a small shoulder, roasted some hatch chilies, corn on the cob on coals and cut off and put in the stuffing. Black beans. Blistered cherry tomatoes on the side. Topped with a crema lime sauce and smoked mozzarella.  Poblanos were the stuffed peppers. 

20210808_180722.thumb.jpg.87f0db84d34d0015ab711f68240b5fed.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

17 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Did you tweak it all? Giving it a go tomorrow night. Always enjoyed Sam the Cooking Guy recipes

Nope. Did it just how he did. I would make a little more of the gravy than he did but that would be it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, pops said:

More info,  please

Shawarma platter from Amazon.

I used 2 lbs chicken thighs, plus a few breasts I had taken out of the freezer… I’d stick to just 2 lb of chicken though because I had way too much and it took longer to cook. Marinated in olive oil, juice from one lemon, 4 oz Greek yogurt, then cinnamon, cumin, onion powder, paprika, salt, allspice, turmeric, and 4 minced garlic cloves. (Any shawarma marinade should work if you need measurements for this) I cooked indirect in my Kamado grill at about 400-425 but finished in the oven since it started raining. 

Toum: peel about one head of garlic. I usually crush it under a knife to get the skin off; either do this amor slice down middle, and if there are any greens stems remove then. Place in food processor with a pinch of salt and half a lemons juice and start it running til it gets to a pasty substance. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil at a time (total 1 cup) while running food processor and let it run for 10-15 min, or until it becomes fully emulsified and will get kinda fluffy. You may want to add a little bit more oil if it’s too garlicky - this stuff is potent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Shawarma platter from Amazon.

I used 2 lbs chicken thighs, plus a few breasts I had taken out of the freezer… I’d stick to just 2 lb of chicken though because I had way too much and it took longer to cook. Marinated in olive oil, juice from one lemon, 4 oz Greek yogurt, then cinnamon, cumin, onion powder, paprika, salt, allspice, turmeric, and 4 minced garlic cloves. (Any shawarma marinade should work if you need measurements for this) I cooked indirect in my Kamado grill at about 400-425 but finished in the oven since it started raining. 

Toum: peel about one head of garlic. I usually crush it under a knife to get the skin off; either do this amor slice down middle, and if there are any greens stems remove then. Place in food processor with a pinch of salt and half a lemons juice and start it running til it gets to a pasty substance. Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil at a time (total 1 cup) while running food processor and let it run for 10-15 min, or until it becomes fully emulsified and will get kinda fluffy. You may want to add a little bit more oil if it’s too garlicky - this stuff is potent. 

Is the moisture from the onion enough to keep it somewhat basted or do you baste with the fat/juices/marinade collecting on the plate as it cooks?  I'm all in on this shit. 

37 minutes ago, pops said:

Is the moisture from the onion enough to keep it somewhat basted or do you baste with the fat/juices/marinade collecting on the plate as it cooks?  I'm all in on this shit. 

Between the thigh meat, onion on top, yogurt marinade, and cooking with indirect heat, it was definitely plenty moist. I don’t see why basting it with the juices at the bottom wouldn’t be a good idea though if you were  so inclined. The only parts that kinda dried out were the edges around the top couple thighs, but that mostly happened toward the end and it was basically just some skin/fat. The meat itself was perfect - if anything I probably could’ve cooked it a little longer but I knew the outer parts of the meat would be fine. 

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/yogurt-marinated-grilled-chicken-shawarma-9961050

This was the marinade recipe I used btw. I based most of the rest of the process off it, just with a few modifications. I might suggest smoked paprika instead of regular, and maybe a touch of cayenne, to cut through the sweetness of the cinnamon a little bit. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 2