Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Soup Recipe, por favor?

Saute a chopped onion in half a stick of butter and some olive oil. Once it gets translucent add in mabe 3 cloves of chopped garlic and some red pepper flake. Give it 30 seconds or so and add a 28 Oz can of san marzano whole peeled tomatoes including the juice. Add a cup of cream, a tablespoon of sugar and a couple chicken bullion cubes or a tablespoon of better than bullion and bring it to a boil then reduce to simmer. Add a handful of fresh basil and let it simmer for 20 or 30 minutes. 

Throw it in the blender and garnish with basil and some parm. 

That made 4 servings. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

I’ll have to get some pics when I make the tacos, but yesterday, I broke down and bought a tongue to make some lengua.

Boil it in salted water for about three hours, peel, and slice. When it was done, I had to make a plate of, umm, “sample” slices with a bit of salt. Goddamn it’s good. The rest is in the fridge waiting for tacos later.

On 11/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat prepared the vegan dressing today for baking on Thursday afternoon - using her Opa’s crockery from the preWW1 era.

(the 2 small containers are for our freezer, and the round one is for a son to take home)

74FA97BF-819A-4C37-B615-C1A374987C20.jpeg

When you're older than the pre-WW1 era crockery...

On 11/27/2021 at 5:30 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Continuing with the cold weather=stews theme, here is segedin goulash, a kind of Slovak-Hungarian soul food. Pork goulash cooked with sauerkraut and finished with thick sour cream.

You need a ton of good Hungarian paprika, I like a mix of sweet and hot. If you’re used to supermarket stuff, buy some real Hungarian spice online. Supermarket stuff is almost useless except for color, Hungarian paprika is aromatic, fruity, and spicy. The other key is to cook the bacon/onion/garlic base in a scoop of lard. This sticks to your ribs in the best way.

image.thumb.jpeg.4849e1dbaf54a264f588a982d29a04e7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ccd1cdb50528cc27e1c27fa1e7fd3ed6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5be41320c55f690e1589e66222a4eabc.jpeg

Holy fuck that looks awesome.

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

What the fuck is this?  Looks really good, by the way. 

spanish tortilla

3 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

@elfenix What recipe on the eggnog? The byproduct looks damn good too. Pony up!

alton brown ratios for milk/cream/eggs/sugar/alcohol, but added ground ginger, vanilla, and clove along with the nutmeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Got a recipe on them shrimps? I gotta thin out the freezer. Thanks in advance.

made something similar a few days ago. not an exact recipe but just wing it with amounts and it will be good.

Sautee garlic and shallots and red pepper flake in butter and veg oil. add shrimp, lemon juice, white wine, cover, and rip heat while shaking pan to steam the shrimp and emulsify the base sauce/wine/butter thing. add parsley, toss. remove shrimp. throw in pasta and toss to coat then plate with shrimp and pasta. have pasta water on hand to add volume and/or thicken sauce if needed before adding pasta. No matter what you do, it makes enough sauce for one round and leaves people wandering the kitchen for more. The only measurement is really an assault charge worth's amount of butter.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Got a recipe on them shrimps? I gotta thin out the freezer. Thanks in advance.

Season shrimp with salt and pepper then add to a hot pan with oil.  Flip after about 2 min. 

Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.  Add a couple of tablespoons of butter and about 2-3 cloves of minced garlic.  Cook that until garlic starts to brown then deglaze with about 1/4 cup of white wine.  Cook the wine until almost reduced then add 1/2 cup of heavy and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (I use a microplane on the cheese).  Reduce until you get a thicker sauce (or just your desired consistency) then add the shrimp (season to taste here).  Toss for a minute then garnish with parsley and red pepper flakes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/18/2021 at 7:50 PM, BearCountry11 said:

Made probably my favorite dish of the year tonight. Wife was wanting something good with the cooler weather and we landed on tortilla soup.

One of the best tortilla soups I’ve ever had was at Manuel’s on Congress. Will never forget that bowl of awesomeness in 2006 after the Ohio State game. Bitter defeat was softened by this meal. Unfortunately, i stopped seeing it on the menu after a couple of years. It was a darker broth so I wanted to try and make something similar.

Decided a rehydrated pepper slurry was the way to go and made as dark of a chicken stock as I could to match it. For the stock, tossed chicken bones/carcass and veggies with some oil and tomato paste then roasted for an hour before adding to a pot and simmering. Was happy with the result.
da9113e1759f780f3e0077dfdadcd9cf.jpg

Pepper slurry was ancho and Guajillo. Rehydrated it with the stock and browned veggies, blended, then added back to the pot. The soup wasn’t as dark as Manuel’s had it but it was incredible. Very rich and deep in flavor. If my wife had been considering trading me in for a newer model, this meal changed her mind. 10/10.

66e93ad937075a79c000032b18ae80e4.jpg
574dee40176edaf7ec6f983493ef0025.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a neat idea. I do that to make chili as do other parishioners of the chili thread. I bet you could make a great enchilada sauce with a similar method.