Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

BUT….if you’re ever traveling through East Bernard, hit up Vincek’s market and grab several house-smoked hocks. I get a bunch and put some in the freezer for later. Use em for both red beans and pintos.

My ex wife grew up in East Bernard. Vincek’s is the only redeeming thing about that town.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Whenever I find a recipe in a cookbook or on the internet that calls for garlic and/or cayenne, I always use twice the amount that the recipe calls for at a minimum. At a minimum. Generally more. There is such a thing as too much garlic but it takes some effort to get there. If you always work with fresh garlic then you probably won’t have the time and effort to get there.

I’m not sure if too much cayenne is a thing. I suppose it’s possible but you’d have to add such a ridiculous amount to a dish that it would only happen if you were intentionally trying to ruin it. Emeril’s bean recipe calls for a pinch of cayenne. You could add a Tbsp and it wouldn’t be too much. And you’d still be fine adding hot sauce when serving. Light it up.

• Hook 'Em 2

My ex wife grew up in East Bernard. Vincek’s is the only redeeming thing about that town.

Yeah…..but it’s one redeeming muthafuckin’ place. A real treasure. Pick up a bbq plate and some fresh Czech egg noodles to cook up with salt, butter, and parsley….and don’t forget their house-smoked bacon, gotta grab a coupla pounds of that….

Whenever I find a recipe in a cookbook or on the internet that calls for garlic and/or cayenne, I always use twice the amount that the recipe calls for at a minimum. At a minimum. Generally more. There is such a thing as too much garlic but it takes some effort to get there. If you always work with fresh garlic then you probably won’t have the time and effort to get there.
I’m not sure if too much cayenne is a thing. I suppose it’s possible but you’d have to add such a ridiculous amount to a dish that it would only happen if you were intentionally trying to ruin it. Emeril’s bean recipe calls for a pinch of cayenne. You could add a Tbsp and it wouldn’t be too much. And you’d still be fine adding hot sauce when serving. Light it up.

That’s why I never put an about of garlic in any of the recipes I share. It’s either a little (probably 2-3 cloves) or a bunch (6+).

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah…..but it’s one redeeming muthafuckin’ place. A real treasure. Pick up a bbq plate and some fresh Czech egg noodles to cook up with salt, butter, and parsley….and don’t forget their house-smoked bacon, gotta grab a coupla pounds of that….

That’s why I never put an about of garlic in any of the recipes I share. It’s either a little (probably 2-3 cloves) or a bunch (6+).

You don’t measure garlic with a recipe, you measure garlic with your heart. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Made cioppino/seafood stew tonight. Didn't want to mess with clams or mussels, so cheated and used a bag of frozen mixed seafood. Did add a couple filets of fresh cod. Pretty damn good. Shits borked and pics wouldn't load. I'll try again later. 

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

^hell yes!

so if i had a 'signature dish' it would probably be this...Thai pork noodles with peanut sauce.

That looks great.  

I think that we need an off season shit I cooked lately tourney bracket.  Maybe some distinct proteins or other rules for each round. 

• Hook 'Em 3

^hell yes!
so if i had a 'signature dish' it would probably be this...Thai pork noodles with peanut sauce.
shredded carrot, green onion, cilantro, Thai basil, grated ginger and garlic, and chili sauce.
20220205_184814.thumb.jpg.240e80833a41cdf380fea0e19df512d9.jpg
added to ground pork (browned with chili oil):
20220205_185109.thumb.jpg.399d77207e5766d276c0a10d0c8e34d2.jpg
add mostly cooked noodles and peanut sauce:
20220205_190907.thumb.jpg.78f7dbeeda1ca8f1def3cc1bd0e3192b.jpg
garnished with more cilantro and green onion, tomato, and lime:
20220205_191715.thumb.jpg.9079b44a6487ed1be19fb0630002f96d.jpg
served with some TJ gyoza dumplings...and i had a little of this cucumber kimchi i made, which went great as a little bite of acid here and there
20220204_223231.thumb.jpg.c9f970f60c0ba673a60d84ef09cd0d14.jpg

Do you use a homemade peanut sauce or store bought? Looks like a great simple dish that has the flavors that can be addictive to me.

I have a cousin that went to Thailand for work and brought back a wife. Hooray! Thai food at thanksgiving! Oops! Mothers don’t teach daughters to cook; that is the job of the mother in law to ensure sons get food the way mama makes it. What she knows is what she learned here.
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Do you use a homemade peanut sauce or store bought? Looks like a great simple dish that has the flavors that can be addictive to me.

I have a cousin that went to Thailand for work and brought back a wife. Hooray! Thai food at thanksgiving! Oops! Mothers don’t teach daughters to cook; that is the job of the mother in law to ensure sons get food the way mama makes it. What she knows is what she learned here.

i've tried store bought peanut sauces and it never tastes quite right, and it's super easy to make... my preference would be for it to be 'peanutier' but for some reason my mate isn't crazy about a heavy peanut taste (despite loving peanut butter🙄) so you could def use more peanut butter...

1-1 1/2 T pb (any will do but i prefer chunky for texture)

add enough warm water to thin it out so you can stir it easily and emulsify it (maybe 1/2T or so)... you want it thin enough to pour, but still coat a spoon.

1-2t soy sauce

2t roasted chili sauce (i buy it by the jar from Madam Mam's)

splash of rice wine vinegar

like i said...it would actually be better with a heavier peanut sauce,  so i would actually recommend increasing the PB! you're working with such small quantities you really can easily adjust it in any direction for your pallet! (more peanuty, saltier, spicier, tangier, etc)

3 hours ago, ohchaucer said:

Looks great, mchookem. Two more follow ups: what kind of noodles? And recipe for the kimchi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plain spaghetti works fine IMO. and this was my first try at the 'kimchi' but i wil DEFINITELY be making it again! it's not fermented so technically it's more of a pickle 🤔

2 cucumbers, diced small (i used those mini cucumbers, so about 4-5 of those)

thinly sliced purple onion (opt.)

2T chili garlic sauce

about 1/3c vinegar (white or i prefer rice, i think it's a milder flavor)

splash of soy sauce

pinch of sugar

mix and set in fridge for a couple hours. 

it is sooo good! 😊

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2022 at 11:34 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Yep. When it comes to seasoning you've got to listen to your heart.

12 hours ago, elfenix said:

bbq bracket

steak bracket

grilled proteins bracket

fried proteins bracket

chili bracket

gumbo bracket

tacos bracket

tex mex bracket

beans bracket

pizza bracket

steelshank bracket

cocktail bracket

open bracket

there's a huge list we could come up with

We can just crown brown water the steak winner now without anyone else getting their hopes up. 

• Hook 'Em 2

chicken tikka masala
yeah, i cheat with the Maya Kaimal jarred sauce... but honestly i don't know that i could improve on it from scratch, it's delicious. and i add my own flavors in seasoning the chicken and vegs. served with rice and warm naan.

20220209_181312.thumb.jpg.e6cc8de5ddf60cbef945989b0c494d9f.jpg
20220209_192832.thumb.jpg.7e6e912324b263fe8d973b269918190b.jpg
20220209_193830.thumb.jpg.7ee4c96004dc7708db3c015c14170d33.jpg

I love Indian food but haven’t cooked it much. Where do you buy that sauce? I have made CTM and butter chicken but it lacked something against my Indian go to.

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

I love Indian food but haven’t cooked it much. Where do you buy that sauce? I have made CTM and butter chicken but it lacked something against my Indian go to.

i've gotten it at Sprouts and Whole Foods. it's fun to try things from scratch but sometimes you just can't beat the professionals 😊

i feel the same about Vietnamese vermicelli bowls...i did those at home once and it was SO much work and didn't taste any better than what i could get at a restaurant lol

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Every year for Valentine’s Day I make my wife’s favorite comfort food meal: spaghetti and meatballs. Usually do the entire thing including pasta from scratch, but I have a 4 month old so fresh buitoni spaghetti will have to cut it. 

D64692C1-6544-4FA3-97CA-059710D037CC.jpeg

1C69CE5A-850A-4AF6-9A64-747782CAD73D.jpeg

8E324019-ACB0-45A8-9181-B239559421AE.jpeg

You in a time machine? Yesterday was the 12th.

• Haha 1

This tied for the best steak I have ever had and all I did was salt it a little and seared it on the stove. It’s called Oita Wagyu and Central Market has them. The fat felt like it was rendering at room temp.  Didn’t get the after pic but absolutely killer.  Highly recommend if you see them available.  

B47EFEFA-9264-449F-9565-E31FB6004D9F.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Atxracer said:

This tied for the best steak I have ever had and all I did was salt it a little and seared it on the stove. It’s called Oita Wagyu and Central Market has them. The fat felt like it was rendering at room temp.  Didn’t get the after pic but absolutely killer.  Highly recommend if you see them available.  

B47EFEFA-9264-449F-9565-E31FB6004D9F.jpeg

Sorry you ruined your wagyu. Next time

Didn’t get a pic but this was super tasty—will be a good weeknight meal. I added leftover sautéed mushrooms and crumbled some bacon from burgers last night which made it a touch too salty to also add some parmigiana at the end like I had intended. Next I will switch to low sodium broth and add some parm.

https://joythebaker.com/2022/02/one-pot-marry-me-chicken/

be2da9cbd87861147767a32cb3fcfb22.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3