Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

33 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My opinion, which is usually correct, is that any casserole dish with cheese also requires bacon. Otherwise, looks quite tasty.

I was trying to recreate something, which I know didn't include bacon.  But I don't think I possibly could make this again without bacon after reading your post.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, tigol said:

Looks outstanding.  Recipe?

Sure.  First, I want to say that what I made basically tastes like mac n cheese with squash and onions instead of noodles.  That's not my recollection of the version of the JM recipe I had, which was less congeal-ee, more runny-creamy.  That said, this was pretty delicious.  But I'd welcome improvement suggestions:

2 T butter

1.5 lbs of squash (3 yellow squash).

2 cups of chopped onion (1 medium onion)

1/2 cup of Sour Cream

2.5 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.

Salt and Pepper

Chop squash and onion.  In a large skillet, pan fry in butter until very tender.  Add salt and pepper once translucent.  Drain vegetable mixture in a colander.  Press excess liquid out.  Transfer mixture to a large bowl.  Add sour cream, cheese, and more salt and pepper to taste.  Transfer to baking dish and bake (uncovered) at 350F for 25 minutes.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 5

20 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

Celebrating a new baby boy and decided to get fancy tonight with some Niigata snow-aged A5 Wagyu. Haven’t had A5 before and this was a real treat. Topped some of them with some golden osetra caviar.

901e43c04dd07149116cf9f3d19a1bb7.jpg
5b2339842e4f1dee0dbb25176b5f8632.jpg
0bf331c7762e221cdeb79c097354056a.jpg
fb46b0a173b2c4db74016003be686f7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I approve of this combination (wish I’d have thought of it) 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/7/2021 at 8:33 PM, Etexhorn13 said:

Rainbow trout, couscous and broccoli. I learned how to make the trout while working in the kitchen with my dad in our restaurant when I was in high school. Such an easy dish but man it impresses every time. 

DCA28AEC-FC4C-48B0-8A3D-D7EE46F0505D.jpeg

mind sharing the trout process? looks awesome!

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, NoName said:

mind sharing the trout process? looks awesome!

Unseasoned bread crumbs in a food processor with pecan halves until the pecans are pretty well ground (I don’t really have an exact measurement depending on how much I’m making, maybe a cup of breadcrumbs and a big handful or two of pecans. this freezes well if you make way too much). Season trout well with S&P, put breading mixture in a plate and put trout meat down to coat. High heat pan butter and oil for a few min each side. the breading/pecan mixture will go from golden brown to black in a split second so keep an eye on it after 3 min or so. Hit it when with some lemon when done. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 minute ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Unseasoned bread crumbs in a food processor with pecan halves until the pecans are pretty well ground (I don’t really have an exact measurement depending on how much I’m making, maybe a cup of breadcrumbs and a big handful or two of pecans. this freezes well if you make way too much). Season trout well with S&P, put breading mixture in a plate and put trout meat down to coat. High heat pan butter and oil for a few min each side. the breading/pecan mixture will go from golden brown to black in a split second so keep an eye on it after 3 min or so. Hit it when with some lemon when done. 

this is awesome! thanks man!!

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

What recipe did you use there? Looks almost like beef.  

Homesick Texan, and that's pork.  I only had 3 anchos and 1 NM pepper because both HEBs in town were so picked over.  Couldn't even find hominy yesterday and got the last two cans this morning.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 2

I had some produce on its last legs in the refrigerator and was in the mood for a winter soup dinner, saw we had a bag of farro in the pantry,  decided to make a mushroom and farro soup because I had all the ingredients I'd need. Specifically a lot of baby bellas I hadn't used yet and a chunk of pecorino romano. I made this recipe from Bon Appeit ( had a little leftover meat from some roasted cornish hens that I added) and  it was absolutely freakin delicious. Highly recommend, would make again.....

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/mushroom-farro-soup

I had leftovers and used the mushroom farro as a base for pan seared pork chop. So good. 

PXL_20220104_030533339.jpg

PXL_20220107_040816866.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

was gonna put these in the Shank thread, but they're kinda snooty over there.

homemade chimichanga, with a sauce I picked up at Der Market in Red River, over Christmas.  filled with pintos and some HEB roto chicken, cubed seasoned and reheated in a skillet with some cilantro and onion, then mixed with jack cheese and a little crema.  as close as I could get to Chuy's version.  sour cream because this is the first sauce I've ever bought in NM that I found to actually be hot.

image.thumb.jpeg.b24b1bceb61f6bf82da40ecdfa7c3bdd.jpeg

this was from that rainy weekend of Thanksgiving.  wife's uncle lives in Lafayette and gave us a bunch of boudin.  we hung out, talking food and cooking the whole time.  with nothing better to do when I got home, I cooked up a some of red beans, collard greens (with the remaining ham hocks) and a batch of jambalaya.

gave half the jambalaya to a neighbor, half the collards to my dad, but still had too much food, so I lived on variations of this for a week:  RB&J

image.thumb.jpeg.e3301250a9b78699eeb4c79c6fd3e612.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2