Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

I love lamb shanks. I use them for osso buco when I don’t feel like paying three times as much for veal shanks.

Man, all the collagen that reduces out of shanks (of any type) makes such a rich and thick demiglace….it’s magical. I just salted and peppered and browned these, then sautéed shallots and garlic, then added a coupla cups of beef broth and several fresh thyme sprigs (I am loving my thyme plant; it’s really taken off, and I’m using sprigs in a lot of my soups and braises). Add the carrots in the last hour, and you end up with tender meat and veggies with a thick, rich pan sauce that doesn’t need any finishing.

Oh, man. I love potatoes every which way. But I also love English muffins. I love them just toasted by themselves with butter.
To be fair, I haven’t yet met a starch I don’t like.

I like my English muffins on the side of my Benedict. With butter and preserves. They don’t add much to eggs Benedict on the bottom just soaking up poached egg water.

I am underwhelmed by the usual thin slice of fake Canadian bacon. I like real heavily smoked Canadian bacon or a thick slice of hood ham steak. The best I ever had was made with a thick Dungeness crab cake in Portland with a jalapeño hollandaise, and at dickie brennan’s in New Orleans made with a perfectly grilled filet, creole tomato and bearnaise.

7 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

adfc24a08595d8726ded8082ac6e1448.jpg
aa633e67e02eda043049ec6630a92a01.jpg

Found a Mac recipe on Reddit that looked tempting… shit took over two hours to assemble but was out of this got damn world!

I’ve never put peppers in my mac & cheese. I might have to try that. But I’ve put bacon In it. I was glad to see that was included in the recipe. I separate the meaty parts from the fatty parts and just throw the meaty parts in. And yes, I just snack on the fatty parts. Don’t judge me.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, hornbri said:

Looks good, now take that meat out of the cast iron and fry those corn tortillas up in that fat, yum….

In my experience, the mi tienda street taco meat is very lean and doesn't yield a lot of rendered fat. I've had to add oil to the pan to achieve the desired maillard reaction.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

So let's talk about this situation.  What is going on right here cause that shit looks awesome. 

Ping Gai Chicken is a Laotian recipe. I love grilled wings, and I search around for chicken recipes from around the globe and use/adapt them to prepare my wings. I probably have a dozen or so wing recipes I use through the grilling season.

I'm old(er) with high blood pressure, so I substitute coconut aminos and maple syrup for the soy, oyster, and fish sauces. I also like things hot, so I add pureed ghost pepper in the marinade and doubled the sambal oelek in the sauce. I like using ghost pepper because it adds smokiness as well as heat. I also marinate my wings for 2-3 days.

For the Marinade:

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, or more to taste
1 large bunch fresh cilantro stems and leaves
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pinches cayenne pepper
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

For the Dipping Sauce:

⅔ cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 lime, juiced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon sambal oelek
1 tablespoon fish sauce
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste

Edited by Woland
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Woland said:

Ping Gai Chicken is a Laotian recipe. I love grilled wings, and I search around for chicken recipes from around the globe and use/adapt them to prepare my wings. I probably have a dozen or so wing recipes I use through the grilling season.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47bjqgd6e3ruq91fyyxu

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Woland said:

image.jpeg.59b7b889438a010c4f2c2870add20fda.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Woland said:

I'm old(er) with high blood pressure, so I substitute coconut aminos and maple syrup for the soy, oyster, and fish sauces. I also like things hot, so I add pureed ghost pepper in the marinade and doubled the sambal oelek in the sauce. I like using ghost pepper because it adds smokiness as well as heat. I also marinate my wings for 2-3 days.

For the Marinade:

1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns, or more to taste
1 large bunch fresh cilantro stems and leaves
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 pinches cayenne pepper
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

For the Dipping Sauce:

⅔ cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 lime, juiced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon sambal oelek
1 tablespoon fish sauce
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste

Left off the prep:

• Step 1

Grind peppercorns coarsely using a mortar and pestle, electric grinder, or spice mill.

• Step 2

Chop cilantro finely and transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in the freshly ground pepper, oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, oil, and cayenne. Add chicken thighs and toss by hand until completely coated. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the fridge for 4 to 12 hours.

• Step 3

Combine rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic, sambal, fish sauce, cilantro, and honey to make the dipping sauce. Refrigerate until ready to use.

50 minutes ago, huge said:

Are the other chunks sausage?  Some other porky goodness?

That's some andouille sausage.  Fried those up a bit and used the drippings as the base of a sauce.  Added some flour and a cup of chicken broth.  Then threw on the shrimp after it thickened up a little bit.  Added all of that to the cheesy grits.

• Hook 'Em 2

Fuck yeah. Recipe, please?

This started out as a chicken recipe my wife made which was basically a southern smothered chicken that is great. I’ve tweaked it a bit for either chicken or pork chops. This one leans italianish; I also change out the seasonings and it’s a green chile cilantro sauce. Also if you slice up the meat before returning to the sauce toss in pasta for a pasta dish. I usually make this with mashed potatoes, as pictured. There’s some mashed taters as the base in the bowl.

I’m making for just us two so this is for 4-6 chops. Whether chicken or pork loin chops beat the shit out of them and then I use a needle press to tenderize.

I cook in a big cast iron skillet. You’ll need probably three or four tbsp of oil for pan frying. I like peanut oil but use what you like.

I have tried fancy Parmesan but for the breading your pregrated industrial Kraft type Parmesan works best.

1/3 cup AP flour
Salt
Black Pepper
Garlic granulated
Italian seasoning
Cayenne
2 tbsp. Grated Parmesan cheese

3 tbsp butter
10 cloves. Garlic minced
3 tbsp. Flour (I like Wondra for this)
2 cups Chicken broth
1 tsp. Worchestershire
1/2 tsp. Dried mustard
1 tsp. Onion powder
2. tsp. Italian seasonings
1/2 tap. Dried thyme
4oz Sundried tomatoes
6oz Half in half or cream
1/2 cup. Parmesan cheese
Italian parsley chopped
Fresh basil chopped

Season the chops with the seasonings on both sides. Add seasonings and cheese to flour. Dredge the chops and put in the skillet and pan fry til practically done. Remove. (I have made this with onions so if you want them add sliced onions here and sauté. )

Add butter to skillet and when foaming add the garlic and cook til carmelizing. Also scrape the pan to remove the fond. Add flour to make a roux. When nicely blonde add the broth and seasonings. (These are to taste so if you like oregano forward add more; it’s very flexible). Bring to just to boil and lower heat, sauce should be tightening up. Add the tomatoes and half and half. When it tightens add the Parmesan cheese and stir. Return the chops and cover, add in basil and parsley to taste.
  • Hook 'Em 5

Got some Maui Nui venison delivered last week so started off with the tenderloin. Very tender. My wife doesn’t like venison but she absolutely loved this. Not sure how else to describe the taste other than “clean” - if that even makes sense. Definitely worth a look if you haven’t tried it yet.

7c538b07cadd10e9a559f2fa2a0ded1c.jpg
67ca9979af7a2f8ed5b6b495eba0db58.jpg
313cac33ba61dddff81c71e93e37bc2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1