Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

On 1/16/2024 at 3:15 PM, Armybrat said:

Mrs. Brat made another one of her fabulous pecan pralines….. guess I have to wait an hour or so before she breaks it up into manageable pieces….

F0A95E56-FBBC-4FBB-9B7E-74CFCD8AD642.jpeg

Looks tasty. Will Mrs. Brat share the recipe?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Looks tasty. Will Mrs. Brat share the recipe?

For the current batch above she used a full pound of whole pecans instead of 3/4 lb pieces. You could easily add another 1/4 pound of the nuts because there is plenty of the candy mix.

When poured it solidifies pretty quick, so don’t be slow to spread it out.

28592A78-71F9-4663-865E-BC4995D847A9.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Doing some jerky on the smoker today.  Didn’t realize what a bitch it was to keep the heat under 180F, but so far so good.  Round roast cut about 1/4 inch thick and cured in teriyaki/jalapeño marinade then dusted with coarse black pepper…

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

So I’m looking to smoke my first turkey breast soon, what is the benefit of the netting? Helps it Hold shape better? Looks dang good 

It's packaged with the netting, and yes, it helps to hold the shape.  I just use the frozen Butterball turkey breasts that you can find pretty much anywhere.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/butterball-frozen-boneless-turkey-breast-roast-3-lbs/140298

8 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:
38 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:
How are we feeling about a fajita and sausage mixed grill. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e8cb460d03fd610c676095c04d9176d3.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.ab1c82471ea29d667f7e2875c73743bc.jpeg

Good job on this onions, home cooks rarely cook them enough. What was your process on the veggies?

Sometimes I’ll put them in the cast iron on the grill, but I had too much going on so I did the peppers and onions on the burner and cast iron.  Used the left over marinade plus a splash of soy sauce and let them get cooked down till good and brown. 

The jalapeños got the same seasoning treatment but went straight on the grill. 

https://www.isabeleats.com/chiles-toreados/#:~:text=Chiles Toreados%2C or Mexican blistered,topping on and other dishes. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

How are we feeling about a fajita and sausage mixed grill. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e8cb460d03fd610c676095c04d9176d3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab1c82471ea29d667f7e2875c73743bc.jpeg

I'm about to dazzle the family with fajitas this evening and thought to myself, I should char up those japs burning a hole in my pocket...well done. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What seasonings/flavor profile?

Lamb is the most versatile red meat protein imo. Easy pick for the “stuck on an island” exercise. 

It’s kind of like a fajita marinade, everyone has their own. Mine has red wine, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, and onion, garlic, thyme, paprika, red pepper (and salt/pepper).  Important to grate the onion, it exposes more of it to oxidize.  A good fruity dry Georgian red or something like a Zinfandel is good for the marinade, and not too much. Make it gloppy and not too liquid and let it sit all night, too much wine makes the meat weird. 

I use shoulder for lamb and collar or country style ribs for the pork. The marinade works with lamb, pork, or beef. 

• Hook 'Em 2