Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

Not the best picture, but this cheeseburger soup slammed hard.

1lb of ground beef

1/2 of chopped celery

1/2 cup of shaved carrots

1/2 cup of diced onion

2 cups of diced potatoes 

3 cups of beef or chicken stock

2 cups of milk

Can of Cream of Mushroom

Can of cheese soup

12-16 oz of velvetta

splash of Worcestershire 

salt

pepper

tony’s cajun seasoning.

cook beef and pull from pot. Add your celery, onion, and carrot. Sweat down. Add beef, broth, and potatoes. Bring to a boil for 10ish minutes. Add the cans of soup, velvetta, and milk. Combine. Add salt, pepper, Tony’s and Worcestershire to taste. Mine was a bit thin, so I added a corn starch slurry to thicken it up.

Easy and cheap. Tastes even better after a day or so.

IMG_0750.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Usually I put a lot more effort into cooking.  Today I got off of work and was thinking about making smothered pork chops, but the kitchen equipment provided by corporate housing just didn't excite me.  So I said fuck it.  The Midwest got a hold of me.  I seasoned the pork chops then just threw a can of broccoli and cheese soup in top and shoved it in the oven.  I as surprisingly good.  Not something I normally cook or have in a rotation in the future but I enjoyed it.

PXL_20231207_231407958.jpg

PXL_20231207_235716861.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Beats managing a fire, I’m sure!

How long on the smoker and what was the sous vide temp, por favor?

I like to leave mine on the smoker longer than Guga does so I smoked mine at 200 for 6 hours which got them to 140.  Then sousvide at 140 for 44-48 hours.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I like to leave mine on the smoker longer than Guga does so I smoked mine at 200 for 6 hours which got them to 140.  Then sousvide at 140 for 44-48 hours.

44-48 hours 😳

Thank-you … had no idea.  Gonna pass along to my son who excels with his smoker but only recently bought a sous vide and dabbles with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I guess I’ll cross post it over here. Since I ate it on an actual plate it only marginally qualifies for the Steel Shank thread.

A dozen Jack in the Box tacos
ecda79b265fd98cfc7fd46f934c74d3d.jpg

1st layer tacos and enchilada sauce
9b501b0641552e5e64bad45475998183.jpg

Beans and cheese
45f94b65e5dc291990ae415d43228e66.jpg

Repeat previous steps x2. Add taco sauce.
f2b02715c3277bfef65cba404a7c83a4.jpg

Out of the oven
42593cd329267343796fd99701c92f27.jpg

And into my belly
ff78d4746b0f24a4d7e9e47598fd5074.jpg

Next time I’d add some taco meat and use less beans.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

5 hours ago, luke duke said:

I guess I’ll cross post it over here. Since I ate it on an actual plate it only marginally qualifies for the Steel Shank thread.

A dozen Jack in the Box tacos
ecda79b265fd98cfc7fd46f934c74d3d.jpg

1st layer tacos and enchilada sauce
9b501b0641552e5e64bad45475998183.jpg

Beans and cheese
45f94b65e5dc291990ae415d43228e66.jpg

Repeat previous steps x2. Add taco sauce.
f2b02715c3277bfef65cba404a7c83a4.jpg

Out of the oven
42593cd329267343796fd99701c92f27.jpg

And into my belly
ff78d4746b0f24a4d7e9e47598fd5074.jpg

Next time I’d add some taco meat and use less beans.

mrs muthafucka said NO.  ima do it anyway

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 2

A short cut coq a riesling whipped up this afternoon to feed the kids before they head out for practice. 

Chicken thighs. I blend the stock with an immersion blender to work down the onions and some of the shrooms before adding just a bit of cream. Less bitching from the kids if they can't make out the components of the sauce. 

IMG-2053.jpg

IMG-2057.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6

On 12/12/2023 at 6:35 PM, Anastasis said:

A short cut coq a riesling whipped up this afternoon to feed the kids before they head out for practice. 

Chicken thighs. I blend the stock with an immersion blender to work down the onions and some of the shrooms before adding just a bit of cream. Less bitching from the kids if they can't make out the components of the sauce. 

IMG-2053.jpg

IMG-2057.jpg

My man. Made Coq Blanc this past weekend. I pull the chicken right before serving because less bitching from wife.

IMG_7069.jpeg

IMG_7070.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/12/2023 at 6:35 PM, Anastasis said:

IMG-2053.jpg

IMG-2057.jpg

11 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

My man. Made Coq Blanc this past weekend. I pull the chicken right before serving because less bitching from wife.

IMG_7069.jpeg

IMG_7070.jpeg

Y'all got any recipes you like for this?

23 minutes ago, locodos said:

Y'all got any recipes you like for this?

I’ve stopped looking at my recipe (from Buvette in New York), but pretty sure it was something like this (feeds 8):

soak 16 chicken legs and thighs (so 8 pieces each), bone in skin removed, about 8 pieces of smashed garlic, and two rosemary stems, in a bottle of wine overnight (I use Chablis, Riesling common as well)

Take out chicken and garlic from wine, discard rosemary, and reserve your wine. Slice the garlic if you want. pat chicken dry, salt and pepper.

Cook down 1/2 pound bacon cut into little pieces in 1/4 cup olive oil. Remove with slotted spoon.

Brown chicken in batches in the bacon fat. Set aside

add something like 10-16 mushrooms of your choosing, along with the garlic and a couple pinches salt, and cook over medium until it looks good. 

Add chicken and bacon back to pot. Add the reserved wine and enough water to mostly cover chicken (about a cup or so), and another couple pinches salt. Bring to boil and reduce, cover pot and simmer for about 40 mins.

Now add about a cup of pearl onions, and a pinch or two of salt. Simmer for another 10-15 until everything is tender.

Here is where I take out the chicken and pull it, and add back in. Some people would leave bone in. 

With your finger, whisk equal parts room temp butter and flour, 2-4TB of each depending upon how thick you want the stew. Add a cup or so of the cooking liquid and whisk. Mix into stew and continue to simmer on low until desired thickness. Check for more salt.

Serve along side favorite potato dish. 

Note 1: the above is obviously very fatty. You could lighten by pouring out quite a bit of the bacon fat. Won’t be as great, but your cardiologist would thank you.

Note 2: just replace white wine with burgundy or cote du Rhône, and you have the heavier classic coq.

Note 3:  I peel fresh pearl onions, but it takes forever and frozen works too. I find there is a weird bite to frozen, but might just be in my head.

• Hook 'Em 4

On 12/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, Anastasis said:

IMG-2053.jpg

IMG-2057.jpg

Similar to a coq au riesling recipe I started making a few years ago.  After the chicken is done braising, I strain carrots, onions, garlic, and herbs from the sauce, toss them completely, and then thicken the sauce with some flour and cream before tossing back in the chicken and sauteed mushrooms. I prefer that over coq au vin.  

Also, as one of the first steps, I take the skins off the boned chicken, and fry them for a good bit in the oil before adding the carrots and onions, and keep the fried skins in the braise.  I know many prefer leaving the skins on for serving, but that method adds another layer of heartiness to the sauce.

We had our annual family Christmas cookie get-together last night at the house.  All four kids plus the one grandkid.  It totally snuck up on me, and I didn't plan dinner.  All of a sudden everyone's looking at me like "what are we eating, Dad?"

Scavenger hunt.  8 eggs, some frozen hash browns, plenty of cheddar cheese.  Hmmm.  We're on our way to a frittata.  Found some frozen "fajita vegetables" (onions, red & green bell peppers) in the garage freezer.  Found some leftover ham that I cubed.  Topped it off with some parmesan I grated off a slightly moldy block.

Looked like ass, tasted fantastic.  Any port in a storm.  Sorry I suck as a photographer.

image.thumb.png.0406cef5dd1d30d9a308c98e6dae7316.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

I have an early Christmas gathering with my side of the family.  My sister is taking the lead on this one.  She doesn't really elevate the dishes, but I get to plan Thanksgiving and don't care.  She asked that I bring a rice or pasta side dish.  So I looked around and found something that was straight-forward and easy and would go with a fairly mediocre main course and overall experience.  I found and modified a recipe for zucchini and cheese rice dish.  2 cups of rice, 4 cups of chicken stock, a tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, turmeric, 1 zucchini chopped, 1 cup of cheddar (I mixed 3/4 cup yellow cheddar, 1/4 cup smoked white cheddar, 2 tablespoons of cream.  Cook the rice in the stock, when it's done, add everything else, and cook over low head for another 5 minutes.  Delicious.  Would make again.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Taco blend doesn't seem too far off.  Chili powder should be prominent.  Cumin might be too heavy.

I had a pound of boneless skinless chicken thighs brining, so I decided to turn them into tacos for lunch.  I used the taco blend as is.  I figured it might turn out a bit salty because of the brine, and it did, but if I were cooking an unbrined protein I'd probably bump the salt to 3/4 tsp.  Other than that, it was on the spicy side, so I'd cut the cayenne in half, and the cumin was a bit too prominent, so I'd probably go 4 tsp or some such.  I used straight ancho chile powder, not a commercial blend.  I mixed it all with 5 Tbsp of olive oil to create a wet rub.

Honestly, it was pretty tasty.  I'll probably try the cajun blend next.  Seems like it could use some garlic and onion powder?

Edited by jimmyjazz

23 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’m about to buy one. What recipes are you using and what have you made?

So far just one kind - I marinate 1/8th inch cut round roast in a mixture of 3 parts Island Teriyaki, jalapeño juice, and a few shakes of Worcestershire overnight.  Before putting it all into the dehydrator I pat them dry with paper towels and give it all a light dusting with red pepper flakes.

I takes about 5 hrs in the machine.

This is the teriyaki I use…

IMG_2563.jpeg

Edited by Cajun