Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

13 hours ago, Cajun said:

Gotdamn that prime rib looks perfect.

It helps me storm the castle.

I use Kenji’s reverse sear.  My oven won’t hold at 200, so I use 250. Works every single time and the rest before sear really makes getting the rest of the meal ready easier.

https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe 

True, but it's a common crutch.  I certainly don't use it.

I have my various chile powders like ancho, guajillo, chipotle, etc but I always have a bottle of Fiesta and Gebhardts on hand for quick dishes or simple adds. Same as I have garam masala, tony cachere’s Cajun seasoning, and Thai curry pastes on hand.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Forgot that I took a pic of the Christmas Eve spread this year.  As well as the inspiration for the Pigs in blanket Longhorn.  I doubt I will ever do pigs in a blanket again in mass where it's not a wreath around the holidays

.FoodChristmas2023spread.thumb.jpeg.73e8d20f7f8d31887534285557da2d7c.jpegFoodChristmasPiggyWreath.thumb.jpeg.adc9f4f0fed08a19f76f390acac0977b.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

**Oh yeah since nobody else posted yet, the one key to doing the piggy shapes is to cook them on Parchment paper, where normally we would use a silpat mat on a pastry.  It was definitely a two person operation to get the wreath onto the platter intact.  The wife peeled away the parchment paper as I stabilized with a pair of spatulas trying to fully support the hot bread as we slid it into place.  

Last night for the Championship game we took our first foray into the world of attempting Sushi at Home.  The daughter gave me a nice Japanese knife and I figured time to start learning some new stuff and techniques. Nigiri is mainly a victim of my newbie knife work.  When I first started my (again not the best) knife work on the cucumber taking off the end I liked the look of the seed cluster,  so decided to make it the base of spicy salmon, along with the seaweed salad.

Totally fubared the first roll as I cut the nori too short and overstuffed.  Would have tossed except for ingredient costs, Actually made a tight second roll that I of course did not take a picture of.  Decided to try and make the more difficult roll with the rice on the exterior and it turned out ok, for my first try.  I think I fucked up the rice and that made it harder to get an even consistency across the nori to begin with but live and learn.  Anyhow a new cooking adventure!  One I have to get at least adequate at to justify all the start up ingredient costs.  And live up to my daughter's gift of such a nice knife!

SushifirstNigiri.thumb.jpeg.da3bf422ce96f48de2515572452feedc.jpegSushispacysalmononcucumber.thumb.jpeg.5c3d30a55134e532602dc98483b1fdc1.jpegSushifirstrollever.thumb.jpeg.bbc7d4e0f534a4a859187f1c9e36124a.jpeg

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

**Oh yeah since nobody else posted yet, the one key to doing the piggy shapes is to cook them on Parchment paper, where normally we would use a silpat mat on a pastry.  It was definitely a two person operation to get the wreath onto the platter intact.  The wife peeled away the parchment paper as I stabilized with a pair of spatulas trying to fully support the hot bread as we slid it into place.  

Last night for the Championship game we took our first foray into the world of attempting Sushi at Home.  The daughter gave me a nice Japanese knife and I figured time to start learning some new stuff and techniques. Nigiri is mainly a victim of my newbie knife work.  When I first started my (again not the best) knife work on the cucumber taking off the end I liked the look of the seed cluster,  so decided to make it the base of spicy salmon, along with the seaweed salad.

Totally fubared the first roll as I cut the nori too short and overstuffed.  Would have tossed except for ingredient costs, Actually made a tight second roll that I of course did not take a picture of.  Decided to try and make the more difficult roll with the rice on the exterior and it turned out ok, for my first try.  I think I fucked up the rice and that made it harder to get an even consistency across the nori to begin with but live and learn.  Anyhow a new cooking adventure!  One I have to get at least adequate at to justify all the start up ingredient costs.  And live up to my daughter's gift of such a nice knife!

SushifirstNigiri.thumb.jpeg.da3bf422ce96f48de2515572452feedc.jpegSushispacysalmononcucumber.thumb.jpeg.5c3d30a55134e532602dc98483b1fdc1.jpegSushifirstrollever.thumb.jpeg.bbc7d4e0f534a4a859187f1c9e36124a.jpeg

Did you buy your fish locally or order from a speciality website?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Did you buy your fish locally or order from a speciality website?

I bought the Bluefin and Salmon at H-Mart, along with the plethora of ingredients to get started.  I learned in the process that all most all wasabi on the shelves is simply dyed horseradish interestingly enough.  The fish market at H-Mart is pretty cool, they have a lot of live in aquariums, and  good supply of prepared sushi, and sashimi grade fish. 

Most common is tuna and salmon so I started with those.  I know that keeping fish cold (no matter the situation) is important, and what I did to keep the stuff extra cold in the fridge was get a Tupperware container to put the fish in and put some ice in a ziplock to keep the fish literally ice cold.  The other thing is to keep the exposure to air down, so I cut off what I need, rewrap in plastic and return to the tupperware ice step up.  

One thing I have sort of decided already, is that I prefer a snow cone style hand roll, to a normal roll.  Simply because I can put more stuff into them and less rice as a percentage.  Plus super easy to personalize and add or eliminate ingredients for each person.  The other thing is while in my mind I sort of poo-poo the Krab (fake) it's a nice protein supplement that lends a creamy nature to the hand rolls.  Anyhow something new, and fun to fart around with.  Plus you can make the shit look pretty, with a little care. 

SushiSalmonhadroll.thumb.jpeg.237ff4ecf64525e73b3120ed41cd0153.jpegSalmonhandroll.thumb.jpeg.a58d5da2bea5f65021e6bfd34a06c7f2.jpeg

The hand rolls are easy to roll and you don't even need a mat.  The little tab is where you rub some rice on it to "glue" it to the nori roll.  Below is a pic of ingredients for a similar tuna hand roll.  But shows one of the tricks I use constantly to create a quick, sanitary, and disposable surface to work on.  I sprinkle a little water on my countertop, then lay out a sheet  of plastic wrap (or more for like a brisket rub), and the water tension holds the plastic wrap in place and keeps it from sliding around.  Plus cleanup is non-existent! 

Tunahandroll1.thumb.jpeg.196b5d47e2989911fbebe2b6d70f67e3.jpegSushileftoversalad.thumb.jpeg.999fc161556e979835c5fadc2870aba6.jpeg

Salad with Krab, seaweed salad, tuna, spicy mayo, and spicy mayo for lunch. Best looking leftovers I have ever had!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Ok so this is barely worth mentioning but I had no idea until this week that these existed- ready to cook tortillas. 

tl_flour_packmock_sml.jpg

put them in front of the taco station tonight for everyone to make their own.  Really added to the taco experience. 

am I just way behind , and everyone buys these for some meals?

• Like 1

I bought the Bluefin and Salmon at H-Mart, along with the plethora of ingredients to get started.  I learned in the process that all most all wasabi on the shelves is simply dyed horseradish interestingly enough.  The fish market at H-Mart is pretty cool, they have a lot of live in aquariums, and  good supply of prepared sushi, and sashimi grade fish. 
Most common is tuna and salmon so I started with those.  I know that keeping fish cold (no matter the situation) is important, and what I did to keep the stuff extra cold in the fridge was get a Tupperware container to put the fish in and put some ice in a ziplock to keep the fish literally ice cold.  The other thing is to keep the exposure to air down, so I cut off what I need, rewrap in plastic and return to the tupperware ice step up.  
One thing I have sort of decided already, is that I prefer a snow cone style hand roll, to a normal roll.  Simply because I can put more stuff into them and less rice as a percentage.  Plus super easy to personalize and add or eliminate ingredients for each person.  The other thing is while in my mind I sort of poo-poo the Krab (fake) it's a nice protein supplement that lends a creamy nature to the hand rolls.  Anyhow something new, and fun to fart around with.  Plus you can make the shit look pretty, with a little care. 
SushiSalmonhadroll.thumb.jpeg.237ff4ecf64525e73b3120ed41cd0153.jpegSalmonhandroll.thumb.jpeg.a58d5da2bea5f65021e6bfd34a06c7f2.jpeg
The hand rolls are easy to roll and you don't even need a mat.  The little tab is where you rub some rice on it to "glue" it to the nori roll.  Below is a pic of ingredients for a similar tuna hand roll.  But shows one of the tricks I use constantly to create a quick, sanitary, and disposable surface to work on.  I sprinkle a little water on my countertop, then lay out a sheet  of plastic wrap (or more for like a brisket rub), and the water tension holds the plastic wrap in place and keeps it from sliding around.  Plus cleanup is non-existent! 
Tunahandroll1.thumb.jpeg.196b5d47e2989911fbebe2b6d70f67e3.jpegSushileftoversalad.thumb.jpeg.999fc161556e979835c5fadc2870aba6.jpeg
Salad with Krab, seaweed salad, tuna, spicy mayo, and spicy mayo for lunch. Best looking leftovers I have ever had!

Good shit! I’m very much looking forward to the H Mart opening up on Burnet.

In other news, tonight was all about the Cornish hen:

8da5238365935290821cf6b4846902b3.jpg
04c4461e35966813053f49c3d06f09e3.jpg
ba77330c673db5ad26ae5ef187bebd98.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok so this is barely worth mentioning but I had no idea until this week that these existed- ready to cook tortillas. 

tl_flour_packmock_sml.jpg

put them in front of the taco station tonight for everyone to make their own.  Really added to the taco experience. 

Pretty sure their praises have been sung on this board in one thread or another for quite a while now. 

I love cornish hens!  We used to get the two packs and basically stuff them like mini-turkeys with dressing.  A delicious way to create a pile of tiny bones!

This was my final Sushi act.  Actually got a fair amount of meals out of about $60 or so in fish.  This final hurrah was basically a pile of whatever was left, and some reheated sticky rice.  I made a "Comet" on a plate and put it in the fridge, but then screwed up after chopping stuff up, and forgot to use the darn comet plate.  So I guess it was the almost comet...

Best damn leftover meal I have had in a while.

Sushi comet miss.jpeg

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:00 PM, jimmyjazz said:

We had our annual family Christmas cookie get-together last night at the house.  All four kids plus the one grandkid.  It totally snuck up on me, and I didn't plan dinner.  All of a sudden everyone's looking at me like "what are we eating, Dad?"

Scavenger hunt.  8 eggs, some frozen hash browns, plenty of cheddar cheese.  Hmmm.  We're on our way to a frittata.  Found some frozen "fajita vegetables" (onions, red & green bell peppers) in the garage freezer.  Found some leftover ham that I cubed.  Topped it off with some parmesan I grated off a slightly moldy block.

Looked like ass, tasted fantastic.  Any port in a storm.  Sorry I suck as a photographer.

image.thumb.png.0406cef5dd1d30d9a308c98e6dae7316.png

spacer.png

Well done, good sir.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:51 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

We've been using those for years.  WAY better than the standard fare.  They have corn versions now, too, although I haven't tried them yet.

We've been using those for years.  WAY better than the standard fare.  They have corn versions now, too, although I haven't tried them yet.

They’re pretty tasty.

Also, sometimes you just want to go with a classic. A solid breakfast before a day of weatherizing shit:

eddfde91daec8160903c5e191181a674.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

Well, bought some baby squid and some head on shrimp at H-Mart, to pretty up some pasta.  Truffle cream pasta with baby Squid (calamari) and shrimp with roasted broccoli. Sort of interesting dealing with the raw squid cleaning it.  I have always been a fan of fried calamari. But wanted to try a less caloric presentation with a quick sauté.  I grabbed some head on shrimp simply for a colorful presentation but damn if it wasn't some of the sweetest shrimp we have ever had.  I am guessing because the head was still on?  Going to roast some later with head on vs head off, to see if the head was the secret sweetness factor. 

Anyhow a pretty plate that tasted great.  That truffle cream oil, was fantastic on the pasta.

TruffleSeafoodasta.thumb.jpeg.4082944ef566b967b8ec44bf4b4829b3.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A note on the raw tortilla discussion.  One thing we have noticed is that if you are making quesadillas after cooking the tortillas you need very little butter (if any depending on brand) because there is a higher oil content in the raw tortillas.  The other thing that I started doing last year was cooking the tortilla to where the first side was nearly crispy before I flipped it.  Then when the thing puffs up after the turn, I take some of my grated taco cheese and put in in middle of the tortilla to make a melting cheese base for my meat.  The puff collapses from the colder cheese, and about the time the cheese starts to soften the other side of the tortilla is done.  Then I just make a regular taco, but I like the crispiness of the tortilla.  I guess in the end it's half quesadilla half taco, but all delicious!