2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Steph's 2015-2016 season is the greatest shooting season in the history of the sport by a country mile...

...but I'm still not sure that I'd put it above any of LeBron's top 3 or so seasons. And that's just talking offense.

I'm a Steph apologist and have no problem ranking him Top 20 all-time and the 2nd best point guard ever if he retired tomorrow--on top of being one of the 3 or 4 guys to truly revolutionize the sport*--but anything beyond that is crazy. It's criminal that the basketball community didn't give him the Finals MVP in 2016. And, apart from a disastrous three game stretch in the following year's Finals, he's been pretty damn good in the playoffs (slight drops across the board, but nothing out of the ordinary, especially for sub 6'5" players when the games get a bit more physical). But he's not even in the same stratosphere as Jordan, LeBron, Shaq, etc. as a postseason performer. That matters.

*I don't put much stock in this because it's much easier for guards to be revolutionary. Steph can revolutionize the sport because everyone can get better at shooting. The same can't be said about LeBron, Wilt, Shaq, Kareem, etc. because you can't just tell a kid to be a 7 foot tall super freak.

This is correct 

You are all wrong. But that's okay. Like I said, I never wanted to get down into this rabbit hole because the majority of basketball fans don't agree and are pretty dug in to their positions.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nba-players-of-the-last-6-seasons/

steph.jpg

Edited by BradInATX

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Boston struggling a bit with Philly. A bit surprised.

Both teams are a mess. Not surprised at all that Boston would edge them out. And even sans Simmons Embiid is probably the 2nd best player in the East right now (not that that's saying a lot). Him or Jayson.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Love me some Luka but do we think Dallas can avoid a sweep? They just don’t defend anyone and if that offense slows even slightly they are in a lot of trouble imo

Maybe let's watch more than a quarter of basketball before writing their obituary. But I had said I would be surprised if the series goes 6 - @washparkhorn was high on the Mavs and I didn't really understand why. Their defense sucks and they can't close games.

Just now, Chad said:

If the nephew wins another championship this year I'm going to vomit.

We can agree on that. And if he does that we're going to start hearing legacy talk, and people are going to start ranking Kawhi much higher than I'll ever want to hear. I'd even root for the Rockets if it means keeping Kawhi from winning a third.

8 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We can agree on that. And if he does that we're going to start hearing legacy talk, and people are going to start ranking Kawhi much higher than I'll ever want to hear. I'd even root for the Rockets if it means keeping Kawhi from winning a third.

I’m of the opinion that people rank him too highly already

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Both teams are a mess. Not surprised at all that Boston would edge them out. And even sans Simmons Embiid is probably the 2nd best player in the East right now (not that that's saying a lot). Him or Jayson.

Maybe let's watch more than a quarter of basketball before writing their obituary. But I had said I would be surprised if the series goes 6 - @washparkhorn was high on the Mavs and I didn't really understand why. Their defense sucks and they can't close games.

I don't understand the Boston Hype. Massachusetts Myopia, I suppose.

Mavs are surgical. And they don't get rattled easily. LAC is erratic. Case in point - Mavs come back from a 16-2 deficit in this game. That Euro calmness has its strengths. 

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Mavs are surgical. And they don't get rattled easily. LAC is erratic. Case in point - Mavs come back from a 16-2 deficit in this game. That Euro calmness has its strengths. 

I hope it's a good series. You might be right. I hope the Mavs beat them (even though I've hedged a futures bet on the Clippers going to the Finals).

I don't see it but crazier things have happened for sure.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mavs went a solid 12 minutes in NBA Jam mode where every three that left their hands found the net and they're only up five. LA is going to win this game and won't lose more than one in the series. Both Leonard and George have been mostly passive for now, but they're not going to stay that way.

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, BradInATX said:

Mavs went a solid 12 minutes in NBA Jam mode where every three that left their hands found the net and they're only up five. LA is going to win this game and won't lose more than one in the series.

Well, they were down 20. 

20 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Mods someone hacked @Kermit's account

We, as Spurs fans, cannot have Kawhi winning another championship. I'm okay with the Mavs winning it - it would be annoying but still just 2 to our 5.

I will, however, be dead in the cold ground before I cheer for the Rockets.

• Haha 1

Mavs turnovers reflect the defensive skills of LAC. Mavs need to protect the ball. 

This is a difficult matchup for LAC because Dallas is a turnkey team; LAC is still learning to gel together. The engine is not quite married to the transmission - yet. If they survive this round, LAC will roll. But this is a tough first round opponent - from what I have seen this year - especially in the restart. The West is just tough as nails from 1-11/12. 

Bev, George and Leonard have 3 fouls each. That changes the defense for the Clips.

Edited by washparkhorn

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Protecting your teammate shouldn’t be punished like that. 

Agreed, both were trash. You can't have important players thrown out of games for that weak ass shit. Refs need to be told to quit it with cheap ass technicals, and really technicals should be challengable.

I’m surprised they didn’t bring on Joey Crawford to talk about the ejection. Next they’ll have on Bennett Salvatore to discuss the art of turning a series around due to excessive fouls, and Tim Donaghy on to talk about betting odds.

Edited by Kermit
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I’m surprised they didn’t bring on Joey Crawford to talk about the ejection. Next they’ll have on Bennett Salvatore to discuss the art of turning a series around due to excessive fouls, and Tim Donaghy on to talk about betting odds.

Let's dig up the Chicago Black Sox so we can teach kids at home the joy of losing for money!