2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That is an ongoing narrative that is way overplayed.  He doesn't LOOK like a basketball player, so people assume he sucks.  He is a hell of a lot better than he gets credit for.

On defense he is. The Lakers are being forced to play him because they need any plus defense on the perimiter they can get. 

On offense he's anemic. Like bad negative level. Portland can just ignore him and pack the paint against AD and LeBron. AD can barely create his own shot - LeBron can't really shoot at a plus clip anymore. It's an anachronistic offense that is way out of place in today's NBA. 93 is what good teams are putting up through 3 quarters right now - over a full game in the playoffs you're going to lose 49/50 times putting up less points than shot attempts. 

39 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

And could at least hit the broadside of a barn from behind the arc.

Having Rondo back will obviously help the defense--he and Jrue Holiday gave Dame nightmares in the playoffs two years ago--and take some of the distributor load off LeBron...but he ain't gonna help to hit any shots.

They need another playmaker badly and even moreso for the few minutes that Lebron is resting on the bench. Rondo can't shoot for shit but he can create shots for himself and others. Their offense is horribly stagnant even with Lebron. Forget the terrible spacing because of their lack of outside shooting, their movement is shitty. Portland is one of the worst defensive teams in the league and the Lakers still had problems getting good looks. Rondo should help them.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Defense aint the issue when you only score 93 pts on a team that only held two teams under 100 all season.  

Yeah, the Lakers had a bad 1st quarter defensively, then put a stop on Portland for the most part. However, I don't see many games where Lillard, McCollum, and Trent go 19-49 again.

That is an ongoing narrative that is way overplayed.  He doesn't LOOK like a basketball player, so people assume he sucks.  He is a hell of a lot better than he gets credit for.

So he sucks but he isn’t shitty that belongs on a team that’s tanking for better lottery odds vs on the court of the top seed in the west while they are losing to the 8 seed?

He’s the kind of player that’ll nab 4 years/48m from someone like the Wolves or the Hornets and we’ll be asking ourselves in 2021 how much longer until 2024.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Oopsie-poopsie. I can't seriously think he typed that out thinking it would be fine, but I also find it hard to believe someone could accidentally typo that word out. Maybe if he has it in his autocorrect vocabulary, which is also problematic.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/charlotte-hornets-indefinitely-suspend-radio-broadcaster-john-focke-after-using-a-racial-slur-in-a-tweet-instead-of-nuggets.html

23 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Oopsie-poopsie. I can't seriously think he typed that out thinking it would be fine, but I also find it hard to believe someone could accidentally typo that word out. Maybe if he has it in his autocorrect vocabulary, which is also problematic.

https://awfulannouncing.com/nba/charlotte-hornets-indefinitely-suspend-radio-broadcaster-john-focke-after-using-a-racial-slur-in-a-tweet-instead-of-nuggets.html

His explanation as to why he didn't proof read was lame. He was trying to get it out as fast as he could? Lulz. This wasn't some breaking news tweet that he wanted to be on top of first. It was a simple observation of a random playoff game. There's no way the Hornets bring him back in today's climate to call NBA games.

Sixers getting humiliated. Was gonna be tough without Simmons, but this has really shown the drop-off from last year's team, mainly letting Butler go and maxing Horford in his place. Probably have a new coach/GM next year, but it's hard to see them making much of an inroads against the top 3 in the east, not to mention some other improved teams.

1 hour ago, Bartles said:

Sixers getting humiliated. Was gonna be tough without Simmons, but this has really shown the drop-off from last year's team, mainly letting Butler go and maxing Horford in his place. Probably have a new coach/GM next year, but it's hard to see them making much of an inroads against the top 3 in the east, not to mention some other improved teams.

It's an unfair comparison to last year without Simmons. They were going to struggle in this series even with him, but without him they had no hope.

That said, is it safe to proclaim the process a failed experiment? They put their fans through prolonged inexcusably terrible basketball and they have Embiid and Simmons, neither of whom can stay healthy, and a bunch of bad contacts to show for it. 

Simmons and Embiid just are never going to win a title together. And neither will win one as the centerpiece of the team. They are relics of a bygone era. You can try to dress that team up with whoever you want at the #3 spot and beyond, but it's just a poorly constructed core. It's a shame that Brett Brown will take the fall for the two very-flawed superstars, because I think he's a pretty good coach.

Edited by BradInATX

Is it just me or is there a very obvious lack of enthusiasm for the NBA playoffs? This thread is dead, and the couple of friend group texts I have going that are usually almost all sports have more pictures of food than talk about the playoffs. Weird, because they've been really nice to have around this week to break up the monotony of Covid and all that. You'd figure people would be all about sports.

Edited by BradInATX

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Simmons and Embiid just are never going to win a title together. And neither will win one as the centerpiece of the team. They are relics of a bygone era. You can try to dress that team up with whoever you want at the #3 spot and beyond, but it's just a poorly constructed core. It's a shame that Brett Brown will take the fall for the two very-flawed superstars, because I think he's a pretty good coach.

I’m agnostic on his ability to coach. Convince me he’s actually good at his job. 

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

I’m agnostic on his ability to coach. Convince me he’s actually good at his job. 

Yeah, I probably overstated my belief in him. I guess I'd say "I think that there's no real proof that he's not a good coach". I think what you've seen out of Philly the last few years is about their ceiling with Embiid and Simmons as the core. They're good enough to make the playoffs with most coaches, and ill-fitted for the modern league enough to never be a serious threat with most coaches. 

Man, the Mavs are game in this series. LA is going to win it, but the Mavs are playing great. Their shooting has been fantastic.

39 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Is it just me or is there a very obvious lack of enthusiasm for the NBA playoffs? This thread is dead, and the couple of friend group texts I have going that are usually almost all sports have more pictures of food than talk about the playoffs. Weird, because they've been really nice to have around this week to break up the monotony of Covid and all that. You'd figure people would be all about sports.

You subscribe to the Athletic?  Ethan Strauss (who can be a big douchebag) had an article on this and said its politics/anti China/anti athletes having an opinion etc. 

he points to huge ratings for baseball, golf, NASCAR and wrestling as people starved for sports with just the NBA seeing flailing ratings?  Is it true?  I can’t imagine it helps. It’s not like ESS is a neocon or anything, read it if you have the sub, it rang somewhat true to me. 
I don’t think it’s a problem with the product. I think the hoops have been as good or better than they ever have been. It’s something else. 
Also- I think all the superstars are decent people, and their heads and hearts are in the right place. MJ said republicans buy shoes too and he wasn’t wrong either though in that regard- this hitting home in ratings?

they also talk a little bit about this on the everyone gets a trophy podcast today. Great podcast by the way- if you don’t listen you should subscribe (Kevin Dunn and Scipio Tex).  
yeah- you aren’t wrong. Enthusiasm is way down and that’s with the product being in good shape and viewing numbers way up for all the other sports. It’s a thing. Why is obviously open to debate. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Yeah, I probably overstated my belief in him. I guess I'd say "I think that there's no real proof that he's not a good coach". I think what you've seen out of Philly the last few years is about their ceiling with Embiid and Simmons as the core. They're good enough to make the playoffs with most coaches, and ill-fitted for the modern league enough to never be a serious threat with most coaches. 

Man, the Mavs are game in this series. LA is going to win it, but the Mavs are playing great. Their shooting has been fantastic.

I can buy this. 
mans yeah- the mavs are a problem for the clips. I still like the clips in this series but I’m not going to be shocked if Dallas gets them. And they’ve got a big advantage on the bench against just about everyone. 

57 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You subscribe to the Athletic?  Ethan Strauss (who can be a big douchebag) had an article on this and said its politics/anti China/anti athletes having an opinion etc. 

he points to huge ratings for baseball, golf, NASCAR and wrestling as people starved for sports with just the NBA seeing flailing ratings?  Is it true?  I can’t imagine it helps. It’s not like ESS is a neocon or anything, read it if you have the sub, it rang somewhat true to me. 
I don’t think it’s a problem with the product. I think the hoops have been as good or better than they ever have been. It’s something else. 
Also- I think all the superstars are decent people, and their heads and hearts are in the right place. MJ said republicans buy shoes too and he wasn’t wrong either though in that regard- this hitting home in ratings?

they also talk a little bit about this on the everyone gets a trophy podcast today. Great podcast by the way- if you don’t listen you should subscribe (Kevin Dunn and Scipio Tex).  
yeah- you aren’t wrong. Enthusiasm is way down and that’s with the product being in good shape and viewing numbers way up for all the other sports. It’s a thing. Why is obviously open to debate. 

Ratings weren't good this season to begin with. Steph and Durant were both out (which is the main reason - the following reasons may or may not have contributed). The Warriors weren't good. The Spurs weren't good. The Knicks are still not good. Kawhi left Toronto and the Clippers haven't done anything compelling. Zion never got to play much. 

I mean Lillard was basically the most interesting narrative this season and still is. 

Now, you have a good product but a product that is only 85-90% as good without fans (especially in the playoffs). You also have a bunch of shitty, uninteresting series between teams that don't have playoff history against each other or hold grudges against each other. I mean who the fuck wants to watch Brooklyn and Toronto play? Or Miami and Indiana? Really the only series that is must watch TV for me is the Lakers and Blazers. This will obviously change as teams get closer to winning series and the playoffs progress.

At the end of the day though the league is just much duller without Durant and Curry. They are two of the three most marketable stars in the league and the league hurts when they are out. 

Despite that, ratings haven't been awful. Portland/LA drew 3.5 million viewers last night. They are also playing a lot of games during the day on weekdays which is kind of werid.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Ratings weren't good this season to begin with. Steph and Durant were both out (which is the main reason - the following reasons may or may not have contributed). The Warriors weren't good. The Spurs weren't good. The Knicks are still not good. Kawhi left Toronto and the Clippers haven't done anything compelling. Zion never got to play much. 

I mean Lillard was basically the most interesting narrative this season and still is. 

Now, you have a good product but a product that is only 85-90% as good without fans (especially in the playoffs). You also have a bunch of shitty, uninteresting series between teams that don't have playoff history against each other or hold grudges against each other. I mean who the fuck wants to watch Brooklyn and Toronto play? Or Miami and Indiana? Really the only series that is must watch TV for me is the Lakers and Blazers. This will obviously change as teams get closer to winning series and the playoffs progress.

At the end of the day though the league is just much duller without Durant and Curry. They are two of the three most marketable stars in the league and the league hurts when they are out. 

Despite that, ratings haven't been awful. Portland/LA drew 3.5 million viewers last night. They are also playing a lot of games during the day on weekdays which is kind of werid.

Those fucks don't matter

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The NBA becoming actively political isn’t a brand new thing. The hit has been even worse for playoffs. Who knows. 

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The NBA becoming actively political isn’t a brand new thing. The hit has been even worse for playoffs. Who knows. 

I don't think it has to do with politics at all. The people that don't subscribe to the NBA's stance on social issues weren't watching the NBA in the first place. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ztejas said:

I don't think it has to do with politics at all. The people that don't subscribe to the NBA's stance on social issues weren't watching the NBA in the first place. 

Once upon a time some of them did. You aren’t talking about an all or nothing situation. You are talking about bleeding some people here for one reason and some people here for another. 
my dad used to be a season ticket holder. After the Morey/China thing he said he was through and hasn’t watched another game. 
Some people might stop watching bc if the advent of the 3 point shot being all encompassing. Some bc the knicks suck and they are knicks fans. Lots of reasons can all work together. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Once upon a time some of them did. You aren’t talking about an all or nothing situation. You are talking about bleeding some people here for one reason and some people here for another. 
my dad used to be a season ticket holder. After the Morey/China thing he said he was through and hasn’t watched another game. 
Some people might stop watching bc if the advent of the 3 point shot being all encompassing. Some bc the knicks suck and they are knicks fans. Lots of reasons can all work together. 

I definitely think you hit on something with the superstar comment. Everyone seems too nice. There needs to be more trash talking on and off the court. Give me some nasty as Pop would say. 

Curry and Durant drive ratings in large part because they have cut so many hearts out over the years that people can't fucking stand watching them win. It's why LeBron still drives ratings. 

But like, I'm supposed to get excited when Giannis loses a game?  Or get torn up that Jokic struggled today? Or go nuts over a good Jayson Tatum performance?

I don't know. A lot of it just seems... dull. Especially when you have things like Mitchell scoring 57 points happen. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to take that number seriously or not within the context of playoff history. Teams are scoring soooo many fucking points every night now. 

2 games are over and done with before supper..the lakers/blazers game 1 had this thread rocking. But some of these games are 15 point blow outs
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That said, is it safe to proclaim the process a failed experiment? They put their fans through prolonged inexcusably terrible basketball and they have Embiid and Simmons, neither of whom can stay healthy, and a bunch of bad contacts to show for it. 

The process was a clear success, it's just that they made massive mistakes with some of the lottery picks that they tanked so hard to get. Jahlil Okafor, Markelle Fultz (plus the #1 pick we gave rival Boston for him) and Zhaire Smith provided nothing. Now this year they blew it on the contract side. But all that tanking put them in a great spot to build a contender for several years.

11 hours ago, Kermit said:

The pi..cops released the video from the Masai incident. They’re doubling down. Video shows that the cop pushed first and then pushed again. Spokesperson released this statement. I hope he wins a lot of money on the countersuit.

christ that vid was a bummer to watch. i mean i know it, but the cards are stacked here to not having this happen at this one moment in time, and voila yet again here we go. goddammit. 

go basketball!

great to have the playfoffs up and running. intensity change is noticeable. 

12 hours ago, Kermit said:

The pi..cops released the video from the Masai incident. They’re doubling down. Video shows that the cop pushed first and then pushed again. Spokesperson released this statement. I hope he wins a lot of money on the countersuit.

I would say its amazing that they are still sticking to their story even when video shows the opposite but its just Cops 101.

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I can buy this. 
mans yeah- the mavs are a problem for the clips. I still like the clips in this series but I’m not going to be shocked if Dallas gets them. And they’ve got a big advantage on the bench against just about everyone. 

I'm having a hard time seeing Dallas shoot like that again while the Clippers are ice cold again. But the Mavs do match up really well and they're one of the teams with the youth and depth to negate the Clippers' energy advantage. Not to mention Carlisle is a fantastic coach especially in the playoffs. 

I wouldn't be totally shocked if this mirrors 2014 in some ways, where the Mavs took the Spurs to seven games in the first round and that ended up being the Spurs hardest series of the entire playoffs. It was either a 1/8 or 2/7 series like this too.

Regarding the other post, nope, don't subscribe to the Athletic. That might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure I buy it as the primary reason for the lack of interest. None of my friends who seem to be tuned out care about that. And most people who are going to be offended by the BLM messages on the jerseys didn't watch basketball anyway. I'll check it out if I get some free time which is rare right now.

BTW I love the 4 games per day in succession format. Been throwing it on my office TV with the sound off and CC on and it provides nice background for conference calls, busy work, etc.

I know it'll go away as soon as things are back to normal, but it's cool for one year. Like an all-week March Madness type of thing.

3 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I think the daytime games are great, if you have time to watch. So they are probably losing some folks because of work.

I don’t get the China thing, because it’s not our country and none of our business. But apparently it does matter.

Marcellus Wiley is a fucking hack. And sfy is a show on Fox. I'm not buying it.

53 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

BTW I love the 4 games per day in succession format. Been throwing it on my office TV with the sound off and CC on and it provides nice background for conference calls, busy work, etc.

I know it'll go away as soon as things are back to normal, but it's cool for one year. Like an all-week March Madness type of thing.

Working from home, I've had the games on all day ever since the bubble started.    I absolutely love this format.     Afternoon games with triple or quadruple headers have been great.   On top of that most of the games have been highly entertaining.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Marcellus Wiley is a fucking hack. And sfy is a show on Fox. I'm not buying it.

Fox sports in general is fucking terrible.   They take all of the "contrary just to be contrary" guys and act like those takes are legit.    They finally had to cut ties with Whitlock, but Skip, Cowherd, Rob Parker, Acho and more are all full of shit.

58 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm having a hard time seeing Dallas shoot like that again while the Clippers are ice cold again. But the Mavs do match up really well and they're one of the teams with the youth and depth to negate the Clippers' energy advantage. Not to mention Carlisle is a fantastic coach especially in the playoffs. 

I wouldn't be totally shocked if this mirrors 2014 in some ways, where the Mavs took the Spurs to seven games in the first round and that ended up being the Spurs hardest series of the entire playoffs. It was either a 1/8 or 2/7 series like this too.

Regarding the other post, nope, don't subscribe to the Athletic. That might have something to do with it, but I'm not sure I buy it as the primary reason for the lack of interest. None of my friends who seem to be tuned out care about that. And most people who are going to be offended by the BLM messages on the jerseys didn't watch basketball anyway. I'll check it out if I get some free time which is rare right now.

When I said big advantage on the bench that was stupid. What I was trying to say was Carlisle- not guys 6-9 in the rotation. Anecdotally for me a lot of what ESS said tang true. Scipio made a really smart point on Everyone Gets a Trophy as well. If you don’t me already subscribe and you like texas football you really should. 

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Fox sports in general is fucking terrible.   They take all of the "contrary just to be contrary" guys and act like those takes are legit.    They finally had to cut ties with Whitlock, but Skip, Cowherd, Rob Parker, Acho and more are all full of shit.

Acho is maybe the least likeable former Horn.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Acho is maybe the least likeable former Horn.

I was so glad when I found out he was moving to Fox.    They keep taking all of the guys that I truly cannot stand.   Its great for me cause I never have to see them again.   Every now and then something from one of them will get posted on Twitter but thats it.    I never turn to Fox.    Outside of Shannon Sharpe they have no one of interest.

3 hours ago, Bartles said:

The process was a clear success, it's just that they made massive mistakes with some of the lottery picks that they tanked so hard to get. Jahlil Okafor, Markelle Fultz (plus the #1 pick we gave rival Boston for him) and Zhaire Smith provided nothing. Now this year they blew it on the contract side. But all that tanking put them in a great spot to build a contender for several years.

I don't think they are poised to be in contention for several years. They are a perennial playoff team but even in the top heavy east, Milwaukee, Boston, Toronto, Brooklyn have better rosters than they do. And none of them bottomed out for extended periods of time and fucked their fans (and the rest of the league) in the ass to get there. The Sixers had four consecutive seasons of 19-63, 18-64, 10-72 (ten fucking wins!) and 28-54. That's nearly half a decade of purposefully losing and putting their fans through complete hell. Not to mention how antithetical the process is to competitive sports in general and to the NBA in particular. Not only did they subject their own fans to intentionally terrible basketball, but when they went on the road they had to subject every other team (and fan) in the league to it as well. I had Spurs season tickets during that time and I had the privilege to pay full price to watch the Washington Generals.

And for what? They have two superstars, neither of whom can stay healthy, a terrible cap situation going forward, and little depth on a poorly constructed roster. For all of that tanking, they should be the deepest team in the league with draft capital for years. They aren't anywhere close to that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1