2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Just now, aggie08 said:

You can probably count on one hand the number of playoff games in their history that both Dame and CJ played well. So hard to call that a perfect compliment.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2019-nba-western-conference-semifinals-trail-blazers-vs-nuggets.html

Still hurts . . . . Sad Cry GIF by The Village

I fucking hate quoting Nick Wright, but:

"Portland has played 42 quarters in the bubble. In 5 quarters played since the opening quarter of the series, the Lakers have held POR to their...

Lowest scoring quarter

2nd lowest scoring quarter

3rd lowest scoring quarter

4th lowest scoring quarter

7th lowest scoring quarter."

If the Lakers can find even something resembling a consistent offense, this series may turn extremely quickly.

Edited by aggie08

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I fucking hate quoting Nick Wright, but:

"In 5 quarters played since the opening quarter of the series, the Lakers have held POR to their...

Lowest scoring quarter

2nd lowest scoring quarter

3rd lowest scoring quarter

4th lowest scoring quarter

7th lowest scoring quarter."

If the Lakers can find even something resembling a consistent offense, this series may turn extremely quickly.

since what? The bubble? That can't be true for the entire season.

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They draft/traded Mikal Bridges (a Philly native btw who is starting for Phoenix and played pretty damn well in the bubble) to get Zaire Smith who has 13 career NBA games under his belt in two years plus a 2021 draft pick that they will probably fuck up also....

And let's not forget money whipping Al Horford, who they will be paying $26.5 million for when he's 36. Just an unprecedented run of terrible personnel moves and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of them.

Regarding Mikal Bridges; his mom works in the Sixers front office.  Yeah, it's a business, but still.  And Phoenix won that trade.

As for Al and what they will be paying him in the future; r/NBA puts it all into perspective.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:05 PM, HtownHorn said:

Lakers played exceptional defense tonight, but couldn't score 101 points on one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, and that's with the 3 available bigs for Portland all picking up 5 fouls.  They are in trouble.

Perhaps reports of their demise were a bit premature?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Yeah, they looked great tonight. Their defense is going to have to carry them, because their offense is still bad. That was the 1st time they looked like the regular season version of themselves in the bubble. Great win.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Lakers were the best team in the West pre-Covid. If they found that Mojo again, . . . the rest will need to play their best repeatedly to hang with the Lakers.

It will be "USC is the greatest of all armies" again on ESPN - i have no doubt. 

I just want to see good basketball on these neutral courts. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to watch basketball's finest compete. 

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

George Karl off the top rope. I love that. I heard he said that and I went to go check the source. Straight from George Karl’s twitter lol. 

I checked to see if George Karl was still alive.  And I agree with everything he said.

Edited by conVINCEd

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Regarding Mikal Bridges; his mom works in the Sixers front office.  Yeah, it's a business, but still.  And Phoenix won that trade.

As for Al and what they will be paying him in the future; r/NBA puts it all into perspective.

All that tanking and getting all those top picks, and they aren’t going to have jack shit to show for it.  Karma I guess.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I can't stand listening to Mark Jackson call a game, but George Karl is an asshole. He was an asshole when I was 8 years old at Spurs camp at Antonian High School and he's still an asshole. 

Yeah, but fuck Mark Jackson. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

but a well-respected player and mentor.

Mark Jackson is a bigger piece of shit than Karl. He's an immature, self-zealous, adultering crybaby that has never gotten over getting canned by the Warriors. He uses his status and religious leadership to inflate his self-worth because he never won anything in his career and it keeps him up at night.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, d2o said:

I'm telling yall Karl aint the person to be talking.     He is a well known asshole.

He is, as is Jackson.  Karl sort of wore out his welcome everywhere he coached but was successful at every spot.  

48 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mark Jackson is a bigger piece of shit than Karl. He's an immature, self-zealous, adultering crybaby that has never gotten over getting canned by the Warriors. He uses his status and religious leadership to inflate his self-worth because he never won anything in his career and it keeps him up at night.

Battle lines have been drawn..... let's see how takes this.

Time Waster;

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/list/nba-draft-misses-bad-picks-stephen-curry-michael-jordan-kevin-garnett/17ovg6e1dtluh1xa3j2onh98q6

Houston Rockets, 1983

The pick: Rodney McCray (No. 3)|The miss: Clyde Drexler (No. 14)

This one is mostly for sentimental reasons. Drexler was the local star, coming out of the University of Houston, and wound up the best player in his draft class despite falling to the middle of the first round.

Also, he wasn't so good as a rookie that he would have interfered with the Rockets landing his former college teammateHakeem Olajuwon the next year. An Olajuwon-Drexler combination for their full primes instead of their late-career reunion almost certainly would have produced more than one championship.

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Don't forget those cringe-worthy catchphrases he was constantly trying to coin. Fuck that guy.

I don't care about announcers at all. Never have. Van Gundy, Jackson, Reggie, Mowins, Herbstreit...fine by me. But I've been on the fuck Chris Webber train for years. He detracts from the game so damn much. Booger McFarland went to the same broadcasting school, but at least ESPN fired his ass quick.