2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

17 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. There is no home/away in these playoffs. On paper only. Only thing that will change is they change uniforms. I think this will favor the better teams. The lesser teams can get an extra boost from being at home and their role players can find a better groove. None of that this year. But on the flip side, the lesser teams don't have the daunting task to try and beat these better teams on the road.

I definitely think it favors the underdogs. Historically, young players and especially young role players have fared much worse on the road. The delta for the superstars and vets isn't as dramatic.  You are going to get fairly consistent performances from them regardless of venue. The underdogs are typically the less experienced team and/or lack the superstar punch of the favorites. The lack of playoff experience including going into hostile venues just isn't going to be a thing this go around. I think it's going to be a big equalizer and we are more liable to see some upsets. I also think it's a bit instructive how well Phoenix and San Antonio played in the bubble. The young guys for both teams never seemed to get fazed. Granted, those games weren't necessarily playoff level, although they certainly were for the Suns and Spurs. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

That's actually not true. While google/apple/samsung etc haven't ever specifically divulged their trade secrets, the basic part of autocorrect and keyboard software, the word bank ("corpus"), is generated from media articles, books, etc.  Now there is a machine learning aspect, which is where a large portion of the trade secrets for each company lie, that learns how and what the user types and tries to predict when they'll use those words.  But one definitely doesn't have to use a word before that word shows up as an autocorrect option.  

I did not know that. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

That's actually not true. While google/apple/samsung etc haven't ever specifically divulged their trade secrets, the basic part of autocorrect and keyboard software, the word bank ("corpus"), is generated from media articles, books, etc.  Now there is a machine learning aspect, which is where a large portion of the trade secrets for each company lie, that learns how and what the user types and tries to predict when they'll use those words.  But one definitely doesn't have to use a word before that word shows up as an autocorrect option.  

I know the autocorrect/predictor libraries automatically update all the time to include new words and names of public figures.  I just bought a new phone, and it already predicts COVID, COVID-19, Fauci, etc. the first time around.  But, man, you sure think they'd set aside a handful of words to leave out of their dictionaries, and only include them after the user has purposely typed them out multiple times.  Sort of a "are you sure that you want to be a racist asshole?" safeguard.  I can't imagine those handful of words show up in any of the big name companies' software on their own, and are probably even "underlined" with special rules. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:
1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Read more  

I know the autocorrect/predictor libraries automatically update all the time to include new words and names of public figures.  I just bought a new phone, and it already predicts COVID, COVID-19, Fauci, etc. the first time around.  But, man, you sure think they'd set aside a handful of words to leave out of their dictionaries, and only include them after the user has purposely typed them out multiple times.  Sort of a "are you sure that you want to be a racist asshole?" safeguard.  I can't imagine those handful of words show up in any of the big name companies' software on their own, and are probably even "underlined" with special rules. Maybe I'm wrong.

What fucking thread am I on?

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m asking this question as someone who genuinely hasn’t followed the NBA that closely this year. Was the rockets/thunder trade a win win for both teams, or would the rockets be better off with the CP3 that played this year if he could’ve coexisted with Harden? Or was that just not possible? I ask because I’m blown away by how this OKC team ended up with the record that they did, and it seems like in some ways they did that on the back of a great season from CP3...

Man, the move where the ref doesn't call a foul on a shot in the paint until it's clear that isn't going in then blowing the super late whistle. That's one of the worst things about the NBA. It's either a foul in real time or it isn't. The only things worse than it are Kawhi Leonard and the "pump fake then jump forward into the defender to draw a foul" move.

• Like 1