name drop a possibly forgotten favorite player from your childhood

Goo Punch

59 minutes ago, Monty86 said:

Met him at a Methodist Men's Breakfast (Memorial Dr. UMC) must have been very early 70s - he was still with cougar high, I was no older than nine at the time.  Very nice dude and yes I agree quiet and humble.  Dude had some thighs.

The story back then was his wife actually sewed and tailored  his pants because his thighs were so incredibly huge.  The man was a wrecking ball

On 6/19/2019 at 8:08 AM, mininghorn88 said:

Have to go with Robert Newhouse with the Dallas Cowboys.  Originally from Hallsville, TX.  He was a quiet and humble man.  There were Newhouses still playing for Hallsville up to about 15 or so years ago.

It took too many posts before he was mentioned. The 5'9 fire hydrant with 44 inch thighs. No one could bring him down without suffering pain. Dude was the man.

As a child, living in the Dallas area, I loved the Purple People Eaters, and the Minnesota Vikings! Maybe it was their all-white uniform, because it seems as if they were always on the road?

I saw them play the Cowboys, in the playoffs, around ‘77 , and my Dad and I drank our thermos of hot chocolate before the game even started! Roger and the Boy’s won the game. Around early in the 3rd, a guy sitting a couple rows down from us, in a Snow Man costume, caught himself on fire! I guess spilt liquor, in combination of needing a cigarette caused it. It was on TV, according to my Mom, who asked us afterwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

I even had a purple Vikings “side line” jacket, you know the kind that went to/past your knees, with an insulated hoodie. How my parents got that, in the Dallas area, was beyond me.

Sears catalog most likely, was how I got Cowboys stuff in Ky. 

3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

As a child, living in the Dallas area, I loved the Purple People Eaters, and the Minnesota Vikings! Maybe it was their all-white uniform, because it seems as if they were always on the road?

I saw them play the Cowboys, in the playoffs, around ‘77 , and my Dad and I drank our thermos of hot chocolate before the game even started! Roger and the Boy’s won the game. Around early in the 3rd, a guy sitting a couple rows down from us, in a Snow Man costume, caught himself on fire! I guess spilt liquor, in combination of needing a cigarette caused it. It was on TV, according to my Mom, who asked us afterwards.

It was discussed in the NFL goon thread with video

On 6/20/2019 at 3:49 PM, MAROON said:

SealeEugene1991TB.jpgpsetpo92-seale-731x1024.jpg

Eugene Seale - head hunter on special teams.  I saw him almost kill Derrick Shepard on a kick off return when the Oilers beat the Redskins.

Even Mark May wrote about it (when not blowing guys)

https://books.google.com/books?id=VxVKgy9U7IQC&pg=PA84&lpg=PA84&dq=eugene+seale+derek+shepherd+hit&source=bl&ots=40lvu0ISQn&sig=ACfU3U3Yvq9wVJYgckmSvTBgD_JwzNooJA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiu_ZLD6fjiAhVInq0KHbBNCO0Q6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=eugene seale derek shepherd hit&f=false

Eugene Seale picked off a pass against Denver and on the run back punched a guy in the helmet who was trying to tackle him rather than stiff-arm him.  It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever seen a ball carrier get an Unnecessary Roughness penalty....

EDIT - I’m wrong, this was Avon Riley not Eugene Seale...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 10:52 PM, Walden Ponderer said:

Excellent. I debated dropping his name earlier, but I got distracted by the smell of chicken and dumplings coming from the next room.

+ rep for the Paper Tiger.  - rep for chicken & dumplings, which as we all know hurts chicken fried steak's strength of schedule.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:05 PM, Ignatius said:

Eugene Seale picked off a pass against Denver and on the run back punched a guy in the helmet who was trying to tackle him rather than stiff-arm him.  It’s the only time in my life I’ve ever seen a ball carrier get an Unnecessary Roughness penalty....

EDIT - I’m wrong, this was Avon Riley not Eugene Seale...

Eugene Seale was the classic overachiever.  He was from Jasper and was about a 5'9'' tall linebacker.  He was special for the Oilers, kind of like a young Willie Lanier.  

Charles Philyaw. I knew him after he retired and was working in Shreveport when I was in my 20's. Guy was one of the nicest people you could meet. Ofcourse he was broke and living with his mom in the house he bought her while he was playing for Oakland

PHILYAW-DOCs.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, texaslong said:

Charles Philyaw. I knew him after he retired and was working in Shreveport when I was in my 20's. Guy was one of the nicest people you could meet. Ofcourse he was broke and living with his mom in the house he bought her while he was playing for Oakland

PHILYAW-DOCs.jpg

bullshit that's Steven Tyler in disguise on the sidelines...

On 6/21/2019 at 10:03 PM, Nonbryan said:

Tony Fritch baby!!!!!

CSB alert:

Went to Vienna in 1998 and stayed in a hotel right on the center of town.  When the hotel manager heard I was from Houston, he told me he and Tony Fritsch were good friends.

End CSB