name drop a possibly forgotten favorite player from your childhood

Goo Punch

Richard Ritchie, Texas A&I quarterback during their long winning streak in the 70s.

70044_1.jpg?width=300

He also held their field goal record for a long time. 44 yards. NAIA ball & all that.

They had a "Thunder & Lightning" backfield, Collins & Hardeman, and ran the wishbone to perfection.  Jaws Hardeman was the running back for the Oilers that Earl Campbell replaced. I can't remember his exact quote at the time, but he said something about looking forward to the competition. Heh, heh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

Fred Biletnikoff. Slow, white, balding possession receiver. Hell a trainer gave him a cigarette when the defense was on the field. 14 seasons with the Raiders, College and NFL Hall of Fames, Super Bowl XI MVP

You mean the guy who the best-receiver each year gets an award named after? I don't think he's forgotten.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

Fred Biletnikoff. Slow, white, balding possession receiver. Hell a trainer gave him a cigarette when the defense was on the field. 14 seasons with the Raiders, College and NFL Hall of Fames, Super Bowl XI MVP

You mean the guy who the best-receiver each year gets an award named after? I don't think he's forgotten.

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Now we're talkin'. Jesus, I hated that tough sumbitch. Wish he'd been an Oiler.

I remember watching a game with my Dad one day when he celebrated a tackle with a yell.  Face looked a little like this.
4e39c050acebdbe4e3980bf736fed12c.jpg

Scared my 6 year old ass so bad I moved back from the TV without being told for once.  Meanest looking motherfucker in the NFL.

• Like 1

A lot of names most serious fans know. Also, lot of NFL rather than college players. I offer up the definition of a possession WR, one Joey Jones. Dude made some awesome catches with a single toe dragging in bounds. Him and Walter Lewis(Bama QB) were my favorites as a kid. All my favorites in the NFL(Ed "Too Tall" Jones, Jim Plunkett, Lester Hayes) are well known players.

What is wrong with you people?  All these pro players, get outta here.

steve+worster+texas+fb.jpg?ssl=1

Steve (Wooooo!) Worster.  1st Wishbone fullback.

Cotton Speyrer

on the the all-time name team:  Happy Feller.  Tied with Rooster Andrews for best kicker names.

• Like 1

Southwest Conference career Interceptions leader with 25. Future Cowboy Kevin Smith had 20.   Nathan Vasher holds the Big XII record with 17.   Tracy Saul from Idalou, TX... Very seldom discussed when talking about alltime greats, but  #6 was just a great natural athlete with a keen sense of where the ball was going...and how to read blocks on the returns, as he also holds the SWC record for INT return yards.

AR-308159787.jpg?MaxW=600

Edited by slorch

Greg Pruitt - let the neg begin. 

Larry Wilson - BAMF, played with 2 broken hands/wrists one season. 

Tony Hill - Smooth player, made it look easy out there at times, Overshadowed by Hayes, Pearson, Irvin, etc...

Mel Gray - thorn in Cowboys side, but always liked him. 

11 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Richard Ritchie, Texas A&I quarterback during their long winning streak in the 70s.

70044_1.jpg?width=300

He also held their field goal record for a long time. 44 yards. NAIA ball & all that.

They had a "Thunder & Lightning" backfield, Collins & Hardeman, and ran the wishbone to perfection.  Jaws Hardeman was the running back for the Oilers that Earl Campbell replaced. I can't remember his exact quote at the time, but he said something about looking forward to the competition. Heh, heh.

Seriously, some of those A&I teams back in that day could have very well beaten a number of what was considered "big boy" schools back then.   Some of the later teams in 80's and 90's when Johnny Bailey, Heath Sherman and John Randle made their names could have done the same.  

56905413e33c0.image.jpg?resize=400,251

Troy Davis.  Biggest Heisman snub of all time (I realize the can of worms I'm opening here).  Danny Wuerfell?  Get the fuck out of here.

darren-davis-wonderlic.jpg

Little bro Darren was a bad ass too.

Screen-Shot-2018-08-30-at-11.33.18-AM-12

Ennis Haywood was a bad ass too.  Got drafted by the Cowboys and died tragically during summer camp.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

My first college game ever was UT  @  Tech when E Metcalf was playing.  We had endzone seats and witnessing his lateral agility just blew me away.  Unbelievably graceful player.

NSIAP. Assume we want Texas players from our actual childhood. Gonna give you two - one is def not forgotten, and that's Bobby Layne. Another, doubt most here will recognize him - maybe Armybrat - but a guy I think is still alive, gotta be in his late 80's. Tom Stolhandske. Prolly some pics somewhere...