so, Jeffrey Epstein

Gil Bang

38 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Thread from earlier in how what happened in FLA can still be used against him 

I guess the wording of the agreement is in question.  The thread you link says "You can expect Epstein's attorneys to argue that the prior deal precludes this indictment. If the prior deal was really only with the Southern District of Florida, I expect that argument to fail, but the specific words of the agreement matter."  I had seen elsewhere that the agreement precluded prosecution for crimes committed in the Southern District of Florida, for example:

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

First, state and federal sex crimes almost always overlap.  Meaning, a defendant can be charged in either, or both jurisdictions with the same or a very similar crime.  The federal penalties are extraordinarily draconian, and for murky political reasons (see the backpage.com thread), they usually take the lead on such prosecutions and then the states don't bother.

So, Epstein was originally investigated by the feds and and subject to indictment in a federal district court.  Even a plea in that federal court would be subject to mandatory minimums and other harsh consequences.  Evidently, and this is unusual, but not unheard of, the feds agreed not to indict in federal court, but get Florida authorities to indict in a package deal (indictment, plea, and sentence) determined/negotiated in advance.  It was a super-sweetheart deal.

Thanks to the "dual sovereignty" rule, recently reaffirmed by the Supremes, his prior conviction by plea in Florida courts does not limit the federales from prosecuting the case in federal court on identical facts for the "same crime."  Although I believe there is more coming on this than used to be known.

Also, it should be noted that all that is required for federal criminal jurisdiction is the barest whiff of interstate commerce.  In Epstein's case, he apparently did this across state lines, but the fact that a car or aircraft used to transport was made and sold in interstate commerce would do.  That aspect of federal criminal law is farcical and should be undone, which means about 75% of federal criminal law gets undone.

In view of some of the other posts, there may be some other complications.  In the usual case, a plea, even one that occurs in state court, follows an indictment.  The indictment is dismissed as part of the plea (or portions of it).  The dismissal of the indictment usually precludes the indicting entity (state or federal) from pursuing further charges that could have been brought in connection with the indictment.  So that takes care of that, no "non-prosecution agreement" required.  If there had been a federal indictment, even a sealed one, the agreement probably would have called for its dismissal with prejudice, which would bar the feds from pursuing other indictments for the same conduct, but not for after-occurring conduct, or entirely different conduct (say, tax evasion, insider trading, etc.).

In this case, however, there apparently never was a federal indictment, so its dismissal couldn't operate to tie the feds' hands. But the indictment, plea, and sentence in Florida  ties Florida's hands.

A part of the sweetheart deal then was for the feds to agree not to prosecute.  Such an agreement, like a plea, is a contract between the government and the defendant and is enforced according to its terms.  So we'd have to see it to know what it stops the feds from doing.  Could be only conduct occurring in Florida, or only the US Atty/SD Fla, or anywhere before the date of the agreement, etc. etc.

Basically, he was not given bail, and several more victims have contacted the authorities.

Bill Clinton insists that he knew nothing, and I don't think Trump has commented yet.

He will be held at least until detention hearing on July 15.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/08/jeffrey-epstein-pleads-not-guilty-in-child-sex-trafficking-case.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

Edited by retread

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Been a busy day - can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version of this train wreck, please?

Nevermind.  I'll read the whole god damned disgusting thread.  

A lot of fucked up shit happened in the late 80s and 90s involving ultra rich sickos that all came to light in the 2000s but nobody gave much of a shit about until the last couple years. It actually started even way earlier but people gave even less of a shit back then/looked the other way. 

25 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

uh oh.

On second thought, this sounds like BS.  Several other appointees have worked with law firms representing clients that were under investigation/oversight by entities for whom they were being appointed.  Dir FBI Wray (Gazprom), Brian A. Benczkowski (Alfa Bank), for example.

Seems like this could be more like something Barr would prefer to be ignored - his own Dad's link to Jeffy  VVV

3 minutes ago, retread said:

Basically, he was not given bail, and several more victims have contacted the authorities.

Bill Clinton insists that he knew nothing, and I don't think Trump has commented yet.

Small correction, I think the bail hearing was continued, so the bail question remains undecided.  Odds are good that he will be denied bail, though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, retread said:

Yeah but he did manage to work the phrase “staff member” into his statement.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

On second thought, this sounds like BS.  Several other appointees have worked with law firms representing clients that were under investigation/oversight by entities for whom they were being appointed.  Dir FBI Wray (Gazprom), Brian A. Benczkowski (Alfa Bank), for example.

Seems like this could be more like something Barr would prefer to be ignored - his own Dad's link to Jeffy  VVV

If Barr wanted to interfere, this indictment never would have been brought.  This isn't the Mueller Investigation, this is a federal criminal trial.  The cat is out of the bag.

Edited by TwiceHorn

^ Yep. We can also see it every day in the inaction and enabling by members of Congress. So many ways to be compromised.

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah but he did manage to work the phrase “staff member” into his statement.

That was my favorite part. There was always a SS agent or other member to chaperone him.

Edited by retread

16 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Been a busy day - can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version of this train wreck, please?

Nevermind.  I'll read the whole god damned disgusting thread.  

Basically this: 

1) zavala takes Mike Cernovich seriously. 

2) left wing child rape is gross and; hey, other people just find young girls attractive. 

3) burn your shoes

• Like 1

Just now, Chooky said:

Basically this: 

1) zavala takes Mike Cernovich seriously. 

2) left wing child rape is gross and; hey, other people just find young girls attractive. 

3) burn your shoes

What the fuck did you just fucking thay about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I fought a 5 year rape allegation, and I’ve been involved in numerous aluminum can collecting exercises, and I have over 300 confirmed book sales. I am trained in gorilla mindset and I’m the writer in the entire alt right/libertarian/conservative/independant movement. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with tweets the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking wordth. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, worm. As we speak I am contacting my secret platform of cucks across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for my next book, maggot. The mindset that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your platform. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can debate you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my keyboard. Not only am I extensively trained in free-speech combat, but I have access to an entire arsenal of twitter followers and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little thit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn worm. I will tweet fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, troll.

P.S. please buy my book, Ape Attitude on Amazon

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

In view of some of the other posts, there may be some other complications.  In the usual case, a plea, even one that occurs in state court, follows an indictment.  The indictment is dismissed as part of the plea (or portions of it).  The dismissal of the indictment usually precludes the indicting entity (state or federal) from pursuing further charges that could have been brought in connection with the indictment.  So that takes care of that, no "non-prosecution agreement" required.  If there had been a federal indictment, even a sealed one, the agreement probably would have called for its dismissal with prejudice, which would bar the feds from pursuing other indictments for the same conduct, but not for after-occurring conduct, or entirely different conduct (say, tax evasion, insider trading, etc.).

In this case, however, there apparently never was a federal indictment, so its dismissal couldn't operate to tie the feds' hands. But the indictment, plea, and sentence in Florida  ties Florida's hands.

A part of the sweetheart deal then was for the feds to agree not to prosecute.  Such an agreement, like a plea, is a contract between the government and the defendant and is enforced according to its terms.  So we'd have to see it to know what it stops the feds from doing.  Could be only conduct occurring in Florida, or only the US Atty/SD Fla, or anywhere before the date of the agreement, etc. etc.

Further to this, after having re-read the indictment, all of the allegations are pre-2005, so it isn't "new crimes."  Most of the allegations of the indictment are focused on criminal events occurring in NYC, rather than Florida.  

In an article in the NY Post, Berman, USA/SDNY, is quoted as saying the non-prosecution agreement "only binds the Southern District of Florida.” and “The Southern District of New York is not bound and is not a signatory,”

Sooo, three possibilities here:  Epsteins' defense team fucked up by entering an agreement only with SDFla; or, it was negotiated and only SDFla agreed to be bound; or, Berman is wishing upon a star.  I'm reasonably sure that most plea agreements, although executed by and in the name of the local USAtty, bind the United States, that is, the entire federal government.  This would seem to be analogous to a plea agreement.  But again, its terms are going to control.

It is entirely possible that Berman is wishing upon a star, but doing so "politically,"  That agreement may bar this prosecution, but at least Berman can say "we tried."  Which will only further focus attention on Acosta & Co.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, Chooky said:

Zavala just chugged a can of gorilla juice, crushed the can on his forehead and peeled out with Hunter Biden riding shotgun, leaving me coughing in a cloud of white smoke. 

Lulz

• Like 1

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

If Barr wanted to interfere, this indictment never would have been brought.  This isn't the Mueller Investigation, this is a federal criminal trial.  The cat is out of the bag.

Is Jeff Rosen also being put in a position to recuse ?  He was an atty with Bill Barr at Kirkland and Ellis, the firm that conspired to let Epstein walk the first time.  Rosen is now DAG under AG Barr.

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

https://twitter.com/Blondiedez/status/1147897801197662208?s=20

Wikipedia has been changed to remove mention of Clinton

Oh noes! The public will obviously be misinformed and blame this all on trump! 

You should start a right wing version of Wikipedia. But good luck with the holocaust page though, gonna be tough to keep that one halfway factual.

5 minutes ago, Zavala said:

No it hasn't. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein

"In September 2002, Epstein flew Bill Clinton, Kevin Spacey, and Chris Tucker to Africa in his private jet. According to flight records, Bill Clinton flew on Epstein's plane 26 times. He flew without Secret Sevice at least 5 times." 

Are you familiar with how Wikipedia works? 

Edited by Mojo Hand

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Well that’s exactly what you’d expect from an innocent person.  A prepared statement ready to go at a moment’s notice describing all the exact times you met with Jeffrey Epstein and how none of those involved child rape.  I think everyone in the world who never diddled kids with Jeffrey Epstein has one of those filed away.

As someone who believes Clinton is guilty of shady shit, he would be an idiot if he didn’t have a prepared statement. Epstein got charged in 2002?  He’s has 17 years to get his story straight. The first time his name popped up, Clinton should have burned all communication, written down every occasion he knew he could be proven to be with Epstein and denied all others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Is Jeff Rosen also being put in a position to recuse ?  He was an atty with Bill Barr at Kirkland and Ellis, the firm that conspired to let Epstein walk the first time.  Rosen is now DAG under AG Barr.

As you note, I don't think being employed at some general time by Kirkland & Ellis would REQUIRE recusal because of a conflict of interest.

But if the AG or DAG want to call themselves recused, so be it.  Again, neither of them can effectively interfere with this case now that it's open, I don't believe.

And, don't be a dork.  Kirkland & Ellis did not "conspire" to let Epstein walk.  They defended him, and quite well, it appears.  Criminal attorneys are well-versed in offering material to the government in return for leniency without engaging in "conspiracy" or extortion. 

The government did this "cover-up" first and foremost.  Acosta seems to be the prime-mover, but I don't believe he made a move in this case without the knowledge and/or consent of the head of the Criminal Division at the time, and/or the AG himself, which would have been Michael Mukasey.

10 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

No it hasn't. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein

Are you familiar with how Wikipedia works? 

well it was, and then it wasn't.  the guy who removed the thing about clinton flying also removed trump's quote about him. 

curprev 13:45, 7 July 2019‎ Joeblacko talk contribs‎ m 51,533 bytes -186‎ again not relevant to his personal life. a smear towards bill Clinton. unreal the bias and propaganda on this page from both political sides. Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile app edit, iOS app edit [automatically accepted]

curprev 13:43, 7 July 2019‎ Joeblacko talk contribs‎ m 51,719 bytes -391‎ deleted non relevant info from personal life. what trump said has nothing to do with his personal life. this was added to smear trump. plain & simple. this page doesn’t exist as a propaganda piece Tags: Mobile edit, Mobile app edit, iOS app edit [automatically accepted]

and then it was undone about 7 hours later

curprev 20:32, 7 July 2019‎ BD2412 talk contribs‎ 52,752 bytes +628‎ →‎Personal life: restoring material reflecting relationships with Bill Clinton and Donald Trump, as these are significant to the biography of the subject [automatically accepted]

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

If you were a billionaire- singular, one billion- and spent ten thousand dollars a day, without fail- it would take you 274 years to empty your account. 

From the signing of the Declaration of Independence to 31 years from now.

You cannot incentivize a class who simply needs to find enough buyers with virtual unlimited leverage and expect another result.

It's sort of unbelievable you can skate thru being busted operating an international pedo-ring with amazingly minor repercussions and feel comfortable enough to, instead of living out the rest of your life on some beach out in the S Pacific, moar sex trafficking.

• Like 8

Heh

https://www.foxnews.com/us/billionaire-sex-offender-epstein-once-claimed-he-co-founded-clinton-foundation

"Mr. Epstein was part of the original group that conceived the Clinton Global Initiative, which is described as a project 'bringing together a community of global leaders to devise and implement innovative solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges,” read the July 2007 letter to the U.S. Attorney’s office in the Southern District of Florida. “Focuses of this initiative include poverty, climate change, global health, and religious and ethnic conflicts.”

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Jesus. Do your fucking due diligence before posting next time. You're rapidly earning yourself a reputation for being a dishonest poster who constantly smears dishonest shit from disreputable sources across this board, which is rich given the fact that yesterday you called out another poster on the Trump thread for not having checked whether Trump had congratulated the USWS team on their victory.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And, don't be a dork.  Kirkland & Ellis did not "conspire" to let Epstein walk.  They defended him, and quite well, it appears.  Criminal attorneys are well-versed in offering material to the government in return for leniency without engaging in "conspiracy" or extortion. 

sure.  Epstein's lawyers got Acosta to agree to violate victims' rights with the plea deal.  didn't intend to ruffle your feathers using the word conspire instead of calling it "good lawyering".

“Thank you for the commitment you made to me,’’ Mr. Epstein’s lawyer wrote in a letter to Mr. Acosta after their meeting, noting that Mr. Acosta had assured him that he would not contact “any of the identified individuals, potential witnesses or potential civil claimants,”

46 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

sure.  Epstein's lawyers got Acosta to agree to violate victims' rights with the plea deal.  didn't intend to ruffle your feathers using the word conspire instead of calling it "good lawyering".

Nonetheless, that's Acosta's wrongdoing, not the lawyers'.  Defense lawyers in a criminal case serve their client, the defendant. If the US Attorney chooses to do something unlawful that benefits their client, well, that isn't their problem.  They have no general obligation to truth, "justice," and the American way, and certainly not to crime victims.  Their very existence and the fact that they lack those obligations pretty much defines the American way, in fact.

The threads on this board lose the big picture of the good parts of the US adversarial justice system because of disdain for the client/defendant.

I'm just tired of conspiracies, especially when they aren't conspiracies.  If you want to say that Acosta or the government conspired with defense attorneys, that might be acceptable, but I'm not sure it's accurate.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Yes this is exactly how they had to spin it previously, he's giving information in exchange for a deal. He trafficked children for politicians to get dirt on em. Anyone who helped cover it up or participated should fry.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7224853/Jeffrey-Epstein-indictment-unsealed-Billionaire-forfeit-40MILLION-mansion-ins-ex-case.html

At one point during the proceedings, Epstein's lawyer Reid Weingarten compared the victims who previously accused his client of sexual assault to sex workers.

'It is fair to say that a significant segment of the law enforcement community in Florida thought that what we had was simple prostitution,' stated Weingarten. 

All of it is summed up well here, the dude that originally sued for the records to be released is Thernovich.

https://www.cernovich.com/epstein/

I don't care for Cernovich but he did great work here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

A lot of fucked up shit happened in the late 80s and 90s involving ultra rich sickos that all came to light in the 2000s but nobody gave much of a shit about until the last couple years. It actually started even way earlier but people gave even less of a shit back then/looked the other way. 

MAGA

36 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm just tired of conspiracies, especially when they aren't conspiracies.  If you want to say that Acosta or the government conspired with defense attorneys, that might be acceptable, but I'm not sure it's accurate.

Great. Then rest if you're tired with conspiracies (that you might find acceptable..or plausible...???) and let others ponder whether conspiracies involving corroborating sworn depositions implicating the president, a convicted pedophile, and the prosecutor/ now Labor Secretary granting a near get out of jail free card can be tediously sifted from the JFK Jr's coming back from the dead.

• Like 2

That court transcript is glorious.  Nice lawyering there. 

"Hey, what we're really talking about here is prostitution -- OK, a shitload of prostitution -- but prostitution nonetheless." 

"Sure, maybe it was statutory rape NO WAIT THERE WAS NO PENETRATION OOPS."

(On a side note, are we really to believe that Epstein did nothing more but get hand jobs from dozens if not hundreds of underaged girls?  Really?  That's the angle?)

Guest Lobo

Seems like a long way to fly, and a lot of money to spend, just for a handjob.  Said Kraft, Epstein, Clinton, Trump, and several others.  Dammit, we gotta get our stories straight!