The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

5 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

And I'm a fan of those various 70s Tele offshoots.  A guy my Dad's band when I was growing up just like this:

n7l9o3szjlivtr3j1ef3.jpg

It was a fun guitar to play.  But it was SOOOOO heavy.  Like solid LP heavy.  

that's why they made the thinline.  i think they had a surplus of swamp ash that year that was heavy as fuck

• Like 1

If the Gilmour auction is any indication, the estimated price of newish fake Lucille seems a solid deal. Do they take paypal?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/07/23/b-b-kings-lucille-guitar-going-up-auction/1803396001/

B.B. King’s ‘Lucille’ guitar going up for auction, estimated to be worth $80K to $100K

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Her name was “Lucille,” and in B.B. King’s hands she gave voice to the “King of the Blues.”

Julien’s Auctions announced Tuesday that King’s black Gibson ES-345 prototype guitar is among the items from his estate that will go up for bid on Sept. 21.

Julien’s says Gibson gave King the instrument for his 80th birthday. The headstock has “B.B. King 80” and a crown inlaid with mother-of-pearl. The guitar is estimated to be worth $80,000 to $100,000.

The guitar was not the first to bear the name. The story goes that King first used that moniker for a guitar he rescued from a fire while he was playing an Arkansas club in 1949. The blaze broke out as two men fought over a woman, and the musician narrowly escaped death after he went back into the club to save his guitar, the auction house said.

When King learned the woman’s name was Lucille, he named his guitar after her “to remind himself to never fight over a woman or run into a burning building,” the auction house said.

The National Medal of Arts that President George H.W. Bush presented to King in 1990 is also up for auction. So are his touring van, jewelry and clothing.

The 15-time Grammy winner was 89 when he died in 2015.

If the Gilmour auction is any indication, the estimated price of newish fake Lucille seems a solid deal. Do they take paypal?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/07/23/b-b-kings-lucille-guitar-going-up-auction/1803396001/

B.B. King’s ‘Lucille’ guitar going up for auction, estimated to be worth $80K to $100K

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Her name was “Lucille,” and in B.B. King’s hands she gave voice to the “King of the Blues.”
Julien’s Auctions announced Tuesday that King’s black Gibson ES-345 prototype guitar is among the items from his estate that will go up for bid on Sept. 21.
Julien’s says Gibson gave King the instrument for his 80th birthday. The headstock has “B.B. King 80” and a crown inlaid with mother-of-pearl. The guitar is estimated to be worth $80,000 to $100,000.
The guitar was not the first to bear the name. The story goes that King first used that moniker for a guitar he rescued from a fire while he was playing an Arkansas club in 1949. The blaze broke out as two men fought over a woman, and the musician narrowly escaped death after he went back into the club to save his guitar, the auction house said.
When King learned the woman’s name was Lucille, he named his guitar after her “to remind himself to never fight over a woman or run into a burning building,” the auction house said.
The National Medal of Arts that President George H.W. Bush presented to King in 1990 is also up for auction. So are his touring van, jewelry and clothing.
The 15-time Grammy winner was 89 when he died in 2015.
They made 80 of those for his 80th birthday and my good friend Mad owns one of the 79 that didnt go to BB. Beautiful guitar for maybe one of the biggest BB King fans on the planet. He doesnt play it except at home. It was an investment from the moment he bought it.

Doing my daily Reverb review and squarely in the "WTF" category, is this thing:

snothbrfwlx0nvvfszte.jpg

I know there's someone out there for everyone, but this one really makes me think "who the hell is gonna match up with that thing."

https://reverb.com/item/26396915-apocalyptocaster-custom-electric-guitar-w-dearmond-rickenbacher-horsehoe-pup-coodercaster

[mention=527]AnotherUTFan[/mention] Did you do the design?  

Roughly. Its obviously a take on the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers logo. I wanted something Rock and Roll there. He died a month after I'd seen him and during my divorce, so a broken heart was fitting. The sunrise is for new beginnings. And theres nothing more Rock and Roll than a Flying V. The artist who executed it loved it.

Edit. One other inspiration was that my Dad died 2 years ago. When I was young we were in a cub scouts type program called Indian Guides and we had Native American style nicknames. Mine was Risig Sun and his was Setting sun. So the picture can be either if you imagine yourself facing East or West.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

snothbrfwlx0nvvfszte.jpg

I know there's someone out there for everyone, but this one really makes me think "who the hell is gonna match up with that thing."

https://reverb.com/item/26396915-apocalyptocaster-custom-electric-guitar-w-dearmond-rickenbacher-horsehoe-pup-coodercaster

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Roughly. Its obviously a take on the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers logo. I wanted something Rock and Roll there. He died a month after I'd seen him and during my divorce, so a broken heart was fitting. The sunrise is for new beginnings. And theres nothing more Rock and Roll than a Flying V. The artist who executed it loved it.

Edit. One other inspiration was that my Dad died 2 years ago. When I was young we were in a cub scouts type program called Indian Guides and we had Native American style nicknames. Mine was Risig Sun and his was Setting sun. So the picture can be either if you imagine yourself facing East or West.

Sorry about the divorce. Or congrats, whichever the case may be.

I miss Tom Petty bigtime.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 8:51 AM, Chad Fuck said:

And I'm a fan of those various 70s Tele offshoots.  A guy my Dad's band when I was growing up just like this:

n7l9o3szjlivtr3j1ef3.jpg

try my peavey.  Yancy should use it in conditioning drills.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DougO said:

Sorry about the divorce. Or congrats, whichever the case may be.

I miss Tom Petty bigtime.

Well, the recent boost in AUTF's guitar/amp purchases and his new band all seem to be the results of the divorce.  So...Surly Guitar Mafia has that.  

• Like 1

On 7/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Chad Fuck said:

n7l9o3szjlivtr3j1ef3.jpg

Yep.  Though I've never played one,  I've been on the lookout for one for years....mainly because of Rhett Miller.  Always wanted a Thin-Line as well.  Just LOVE the look and sound of them.

original_squared_rhett-miller.jpg

On 7/24/2019 at 2:40 PM, Chad Fuck said:

snothbrfwlx0nvvfszte.jpg

giphy.gif