Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Omenihu's actually played/practiced with Overshown/Foster. His opinion on whether they'd succeed at a LB role is probably more well-informed than ours.

At any rate, let's see what the coaches end up deciding.

I'll wait until Acho weighs in, personally.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I honestly can't even untangle what word you were trying to use here.  Maybe piquant, but it doesn't really fit the context either.

Ugh fine I'll add the accent. Was going for Spanglish.

Nevermind, it a) doesn't have an accent, and b) is an English word now according to Google's dictionary and dictionary.com: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/picante

Edited by texifornia

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I honestly can't even untangle what word you were trying to use here.  Maybe piquant, but it doesn't really fit the context either.

Apple autocorrect from precarious? I think it means that he types picante an awful lot into his phone. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ugh fine I'll add the accent. Was going for Spanglish.

Nevermind, it a) doesn't have an accent, and b) is an English word now according to Google's dictionary and dictionary.com: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/picante

Ah, yes, thanks for clarifying that the LB numbers crisis is "getting more [prepared so as to be very hot and spicy, especially with a hot and spicy sauce.]"

Edited by Katfid54
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Ah, yes, thanks for clarifying that the LB numbers crisis is "getting more [prepared so as to be very hot and spicy, especially with a hot and spicy sauce.]"

Do you not use spicy as another word for interesting (in this case dryly underplaying the dire nature of our predicament)?

#MarchTo1000

Edited by texifornia

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I'll wait until Acho weighs in, personally.

Acho tells me safeties were offered money to switch to LBs. He also mentioned it's not uncommon for UT players to receive money to switch positions. RoJo collected six figs for the position switch so that he can hang out in the same circle as Hamm's in the offseason. Ominehu is just bitter that he didn't get paid.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Do you not use spicy as another word for interesting (in this case dryly underplaying the dire nature of our predicament)?

#MarchTo1000

Wait--so you use "picante" to mean "spicy," which is intended to convey that something is "interesting."

But you didn't mean to use "piquant," which literally means "interesting and exciting"?

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

When one of our HS football coaches had to coach soccer for a season his most helpful tip was to "put some caliente on it", so this hits close to home.

Now THIS post is that good shit.

(Edited to add:  Commas go inside the quotation marks, bruh.)

Edited by Katfid54

Composite top 32 in-state final breakdown. I pick 32 because I like to think of Texas, OU, A&M and "other" as four separate parties who on average should get a quarter of this group, give or take a few spots. I'm putting Evans in "other" and Collins in Texas.

Other- 13
Texas- 9
A&M- 4
OU- 3
Other local schools- 2
Malik Hornsby- 1

Texas did pretty good here for a disappointing season and losing a bunch of the staff. The "other" group really hurt A&M and OU more than Texas this year

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

But I also enjoy the non-denial of your alt-right leaning tendencies. 

What do you mean?  You said nothing of the sort.

First, you called me non-white, which is weird, since we've never met and you don't know what ethnicity I am.

Second, you called me culture-hating, which I assumed to be a play on your username.  Basically, a renowned frenchman accusing me, an American, of being uncultured.

Because, of course, if you'd intended to accuse me of hating non-white cultures, you would've needed another hyphen: "non-white-culture hating pedant."

Just now, Fud said:

Composite top 32 in-state final breakdown. I pick 32 because I like to think of Texas, OU, A&M and "other" as four separate parties who on average should get a quarter of this group, give or take a few spots. I'm putting Evans in "other" and Collins in Texas.

Other- 13
Texas- 9
A&M- 4
OU- 3
Other local schools- 2
Malik Hornsby- 1

Texas did pretty good here for a disappointing season and losing a bunch of the staff. The "other" group really hurt A&M and OU more than Texas this year

You're the juggernaut and our shitposting is the wall.  You just blast right through like we don't even exist.

3 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

What do you mean?  You said nothing of the sort.

First, you called me non-white, which is weird, since we've never met and you don't know what ethnicity I am.

Second, you called me culture-hating, which I assumed to be a play on your username.  Basically, a renowned frenchman accusing me, an American, of being uncultured.

Because, of course, if you'd intended to accuse me of hating non-white cultures, you would've needed another hyphen: "non-white-culture hating pedant."

I can't do anything here other than to say Well Played. 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

Other- 13
Texas- 9
A&M- 4
OU- 3
Other local schools- 2
Malik Hornsby- 1

I don't fully understand why, but it seems like OU has backed off from Texas in favor of going more nationally. Using your methodology, they got 4/32 in 2019, 2 in 2018, and 5 in 2017.

Not sure where to put this but I'll post it here since there's a discussion about LB. Texas is probably going to be in a lot 4-2-5 press quarters next year because of the issues 4-3 press quarters creates with the sam. 

https://insidetexas.com/the-schematic-choices-ahead-for-chris-ash/

Edited by texasstrong12

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Other- 13
Texas- 9
A&M- 4
OU- 3
Other local schools- 2
Malik Hornsby- 1

If you're wondering about past classes (I have Okie State in with local, and Arkansas in with other)

x 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015
Other 13 10 8 15 14 9
Texas 9 6 13 3 9 8
A&M 4 10 6 3 3 8
OU 3 4 2 5 1 3
Smaller local schools 2 2 3 6 5 4
Malik Hornsby 1          
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, texifornia said:

Oh man this guy (I'm guessing an aggy but it's unclear) is red-pilling all of us today (UPDATE: I found his LinkedIn, he went to... Austin College?)

I know this guy.  (So does @jimmyjazz )

He's from a family of aggy, but went to Austin College.  Still gets aggy on occasion, but a good guy 99% of the time. 

16 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Gotta love the recruiting board.  Post a video of a 6’7” 245 pound kid making acrobatic catches downfield and generally wrecking good DFW competition, and the reaction is “Hurr durr, like he can play ... it must be the kid or his father posting.”

Well, the definitive claim that he's "easily the best TE in the state" is eyeroll-inducing.

Edited by Beau Vine

(Eric Nahlin) Wednesday Q&A: 1/29/20

I’ll go ahead and get it out of the way. Who do you think we close with this cycle?

I’m with the consensus: Alfred Collins, Kelvontay Dixon, and Ennis Rakestraw. Maybe Princely. I have mild, mild concern over Bama and Rakestraw. I don’t think they’ll have room and that helps. Princely is a coin flip. Who knows with him.

Have you heard anything on the Dt coach?

A little bit but I’m checking on it some more. I will say they should have hired a DE coach and moved Giles inside. This will be an unforced error on Herman’s part.

Why does the distinction matter? The hire? Development?

Because the positions are different. You coach a defensive end differently than you coach a defensive tackle. They need a better instructor for pass rushers.

I'm not following this. Wasn't Giles the DEs coach in the mid-2000s?

"They should have kept Mehringer. Love the way Devin Duvernay and Lil’Jordan Humphrey developed at WR." Yeah, he had a lot of talent to work with. Y’all: feel free to believe whatever you want. I’m going to go with my NFL contacts on it.

I don't think anyone is challenging you Eric,, just trying to clarify what you meant by your original comment. Also, I think some are surprised to read that he may not be considered a good teacher of the position. I for one had never heard that.

It really wasn’t worth talking about with the previous front. Because of the romanticized notions of him it’s not a hill to die on. It took years for people to understand he’s just an okay recruiter. He’s an okay teacher, too, but if you’re going to a four-man front they should have brought in a better teacher for pass rush. @UTexasFight mentioned something similar not too long ago. I have an NFL player and former NFL player in the coaching ranks saying the same.

Do you think Burris convinces Jackson to commit to Aggie this weekend ?

Are you serious? Tough to tell these days. No, that hasn’t crossed my mind.

Chances we go after a grad transfer OL?

If the right situation presents itself they will. They’ve already looked at the dude from Tennessee. So, we know they’re looking. But this goes for every position of need. I’ve been stating this for two years: they are very proactive in the transfer markets.

Any chance we get back in it with Shadrach Banks?

Very doubtful.

Is Whittington on a rehab workout program or is he back to standard offseason work?

Rehab.

How do you see the front 7 shaking out next year with the move to more 4-man fronts?

How it will shake out is impossible to even gauge because a safety or two will move to LB. Until we get clarity on that, I don’t know. SDE: Bimage then Jones (Jones is on thin ice) | NT: Coburn/Sweat | 3-tech: Graham/Ojomo | WDE: Ossai then Vaughns | LB: Juwan Mitchell and Dele then Tillman and Gbenda. If/when they move a quality safety it won’t be to sit him. Who that player is that moves could depend on how the back end shakes out first. Mitchell will almost assuredly start but who plays alongside him is a crap shoot.

Not a huge X’s and O’s guy but what made Baylor’s 3 man front so good compared to ours? Did they just have better players up front?

They played their ends outside of the OT’s which allowed them to rush the passer in one on one settings. Orlando played 4is, a very difficult position to rush the passer from. No, they don’t have better players up front, though James Lynch is really good.

With the Fedora and Coleman moves, are there any new analyst hires that may have slipped under the radar? Thanks.

Haven’t heard of any but it’s possible. I know they want to further build out that part of the program. Fans tend to overhype that aspect of the program. If it had much value it didn’t show last year. Texas did a very poor job of self scouting and game planning.

Who do you think is the impact WR that will make a difference in 2020? Do you think Robinson surpasses Ingram for starting reps..

Jake Smith. No, I don’t. They’ll both play a lot. The starter designation is meaningless at RB if you platoon them, which they’ll do.

If you could go back to January 2019 to tell Tom Herman (or whoever on staff you would like) 1 bit of (recruiting related) advice for the 2020 or 2021 Recruiting Cycles what would it be?

Offer Savion Williams sooner.

How far behind is Texas with Kendrick Blackshire?

Pretty far. Bad fit for the conference. Doesn’t really have a position to begin with.

JoJo Earle ends up at....

LSU, Alabama, or another Top 10 program. Texas has time though...

How does the new month-long dead period in February affect the staff's strategy?

They’re already hitting the road relentlessly to get in front of as many kids as possible. I imagine that’s with February in mind. I’m guessing February will be used to evaluate and set the big board as best as possible. It’ll probably be used to get the new coaches aligned and familiar with the Big 12, particularly on defense.

Looks like A&M had pretty substantial staff overhaul this off-season as well. Who do you think did a better job re-staffing?

When I take stock of the recruiting landscape I’m going to account for the upheaval all over the place. For now I don’t have any firm opinions. Did they even hire a new RB coach yet?

What are your thoughts on the QB recruiting strategy? Why not go all in on Ewers first and then pivot to a QB2 in 2021 to join Milroe if Ewers proves unlikely?

That would have been a good way to go about it, but it seems Yurcich feels he needs more immediate help. He probably thinks it won’t hurt with Ewers.

Will we get Savion Williams on campus this weekend?

Carrington stopped by today. Ask me again tomorrow.

Does Sam get invited to the Heisman ceremony?

If Texas makes the playoffs. So probably not.

Tangential to that question; I'm not concerned about Landon Jackson per se but in both cycles when Jimbo has been at A&M, he has locked down someone we were gunning for at his Super Bowl party (B. Williams two years ago, Jaylon Jones last year), earlier than expected. Are there "at-risk" prospects who fit that category right now?

It’s hard to know who their high pressure approach will work with. Williams is different than Leal and Jones. He already knew Elko well and wanted to jumpstart Jimbo’s first class. Jones committed to A&M a couple weeks after telling me he was going to take all five official visits. Nobody saw that coming. That could happen again but I don’t know who it would be.

any OOS recruits Texas has a legit shot with? (even though it doesn't feel like there is a need with how good the state is this year.)

It’s early, but Mater Dei’s Mario Williams was thrilled with the his Texas offer. He wants to visit. edit: Domani Jackson.

How can Texas self scout better?

The problem starts before that with a mentality of, “we’re going to run our stuff through sheer execution.”

Is it too late to reassign Giles to DT if they find a DE coach they like?

Pretty sure they have their DT guy.

I'll just get this out of the way for you, if you know him. CAN HE RECRUIT??

If it’s the guy I’m thinking of, I’m not sure.

Eric who is gonna be your VB for this class? Someone you are very high on but the services aren't really.

Handful of guys I was early on already got a bump or were rated pretty accurately when they did get rated. Probably the guy I’m pushing the hardest that the networks aren’t that high on is DB Deuce Harmon, but I won’t have him rated like I do Vernon. Probably around 20-25. Sawyer Robertson might be a top-five player in-state. A guy I wasn’t that high on initially but is now deserving of a big jump is Shemar Turner. You can make a case for top 10 with him. I’m going to try and pump out a top 100 for 2021 in Feb so I can go on the record clearly and definitively earlier.

What does Carrington's upward mobility look like at Texas currently? Do you see Texas creating more administrative structure and allowing Carrington to lead that as GM?

Tom should use the Pareto principle to determine yearly staff shake-up then put Carrington on the trail every December and January. Carrington is the face, personality, and enthusiasm of Texas recruiting, Chang is the GM of it.

Do you still think Juwan Mitchell will start next year? (Max Olson saying he is in the portal)

Ha ha ha ha. Nope. Not ideal.

Eric, are you saying Sawyer Robertson>Milroe?

No, I’m not saying that. I’m saying he has huge upside. I’ve long said the same about Milroe. I led the Milroe charge for UT QB1.

Who are the LB’er in 2021? Clayton Smith was ideal for B-LB’er. Does he end up at DE? We have one gem in Harris. Who are the others? Sneed? Cooks?

Harris and Cooks would be my guess. I’d also take a more traditional sort who is comfortable between the tackles. Whatever they do with Ossai is what they’d do with Clayton Smith. Stand-up OLB would be my guess.

David Gbenda and DeMarvion Overshown might actually be the best duo option to play Linebacker next season.

I worry about Overshown fighting off blocks and playing in traffic. I want that dude in space. I think Foster would fight better in the scrum.

How physically ready to compete for playing time is Ford?

Good build but not college ready. Fans shouldn’t have expectations of him for at least a year.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jones on thin ice?  Didn't he go to the same JUCO as Mitchell?  I could be wrong on that.  He's probably going to see a lot of snaps next year.

Well the dumbass did sucker punch a teammate last year.

And yeah, that's generally the issue with JUCOs. Most of the time they didn't end up at a JC because they had their shit 100% together (even if they cheer at Navarro #topical).

• Like 1

It’s funny how far Eric has turned on herman. He was bought in same as many of us, and he held on longer than most. But now he absolutely thinks he isn’t the guy. Watching him progress in his opinion has been entertaining, particularly in his snarkiness to his readers. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s funny how far Eric has turned on herman. He was bought in same as many of us, and he held on longer than most. But now he absolutely thinks he isn’t the guy. Watching him progress in his opinion has been entertaining, particularly in his smarminess to his readers. 

I turned on him but I've walked back from the edge. I think his coordinator hires were good and we haven't been bad bad despite the shitty ass coaching staff he hired initially. Recruiting is still going well overall. It wouldn't be worth blowing everything up without seeing if he learned from his fuckups first. I'm not putting any particular expectations on next season though.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

I turned on him but I've walked back from the edge. I think his coordinator hires were good and we haven't been bad bad despite the shitty ass coaching staff he hired initially. I'm not putting any particular expectations on next season though.

Yeah. I'm happy to be optimistic because it's fun and being pessimistic doesn't make losing feel any better. In my heart, I'm hoping for but not exactly expecting a conference championship..

• Like 3