Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

14 hours ago, Parliament said:

Cody Jinks's new album dropped today. Or tomorrow.

And I found his 1st album on YouTube. More traditional than more recent fare.

You can find his first two albums on YouTube - Collectors Item and Cast No Stones. 

I'm undecided on the new album. 

On 7/9/2018 at 7:37 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I really like JT . . . I think he is a massive talent.  That said, I don't think he has come close to tapping his potential, and I'm afraid he might not ever do so.  He seems so hung up on process and product, it feels like content takes a back seat.  His records sound fantastic.  He works with amazing producers.  But the songs?  I don't recall anything transcendent.  

In a strange way he reminds me of Whitney Houston.  Obviously she was a better singer, world class really, but she never even got close to that kind of Aretha performance that's more or less the standard to make it into the discussion of "greatest".  JT has a similar thing for Michael Jackson and a few other R&B & pop superstars.  He's just not . . . them.

I think the duet he did with Stapleton at the CMA Awards was far better than "Say Something", but it still wasn't quite there.  Of course, the "industry" fell all over themselves about it, because JT was a superstar allegedly out of his element (even though he's from the South) and Stapleton was a relative unknown:

Somehow, someway, my wife and I watched that performance live.  We never, ever watch award shows, and against all odds, that was on our tv that night.  We were both like, holy crap, that guy (Stapleton) is gonna be a superstar.  And the rest, as they say, is history.  We still talk about that performance, and Stapleton is a regular on our home stereo system.

With regard to JT, I don’t know enough about him to begin to analyze his work as you have, but I respect the Hell out of the guy for his longevity in being relevant.  And “Dick in a Box.”

Watching that clip again, it cracks me up how every woman in the crowd wanted to fuck JT and every man in the crowd wanted to BE JT (and a good many probably wanted to fuck him too).  Jewel had him half undressed with her eyes and Keith Urban seemed to be thinking "shit, I have some work to do".

Saw Sturgill last night at the Hinterland Festival (between Des Moines and KC).  They were playing as a power trio because the keyboard player was sick.

He blew my fucking mind.  Holy fuck.  One of the most powerful, shredding, crowd leveling sets I've ever seen.

11 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Sounds like they named the festival correctly.

Indeed.  I continue to be impressed by the artists they're bringing in.  Saturday's line up was as follows:

The Nadas (Iowa legends)

Tyler Childers (Sturgill and Wheeler Walker Jr. sat in)

J Roddy Walston & The Business

Anderson East

Margo Price

Blackberry Smoke

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

Strugill

On 4/2/2018 at 8:43 AM, hullabelew said:

Great point Bluto.  Another great song on that one is "California 85" and maybe the saddest song he has ever written in "Larosse", and that is saying something .  

He put out an album in 2001 called "Country Sunshine" which is criminally under-rated.  Two songs especially.  "First Thing About Mary" and "Sixteen".    He had Kenny Malone play drums on that record because he wanted 'that Don Williams sound.'   Also, Mickey Raphael plays on it as does Ian McLagan.  

I own everything Bruce has ever recorded and, although I really like "Long Way Home From Anywhere" because Grissom is all over it and the songwriting is incredibly strong on that one as well, "Country Sunshine" is probably my favorite record of his.  

"Larosse".   He starts out trying to sell the horse for $50 as he is traveling west.......each time, he has to lower the price as he tells what they have been through.......the last line kills.  "That's a deal, get him out of my sight."  

California 85.  Peppy tune...but a sad drunk song....  "They say that livin' well is how revenge is earned, but you and I know they will never really burn......"

"The New Me" is also a fantastic song.  

Going to see Bruce &Kelly at the Hippodrome in Waco here in a few weeks.  Love them

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 8:18 PM, NOMAAA said:

I see Cody jinks is getting some love. I don’t know him but loud and heavy feat is this weekend in fw. The sword is playing and the sword are rad. Any other suggestions on the lineup?

Out of the balance of the lineup, I would probably be most interested in seeing Colter Wall or Paul Cauthen.  Colter has a pretty interesting voice.  But Ward David, Whitey Morgan, and Whiskey Myers all have some good tunes.  I've heard Jinks puts on a great show.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Jason and Sadler do 3 songs in Studio 1A Friday afternoon, and going to the show at Bass tonight. Picked tonight’s show based on the best available seats available between the three nights at the time.   Hard to beat being 8 feet away in a room with 70 people, but excited for tonight.  

saw isbell last night at bass, it was the first time I've come away kinda disappointed from one of his shows. the show just seemed flat overall, esp the first half, but the acoustic numbers were fantastic. finally got to hear chaos and clothes live, damn good. 

Tonight’s show was awesome, IMO. I’ve only seen Isbell twice, so I don’t have many other shows to compare it to, but thought it was great. John Moreland opened, whim I had never heard of, and was blown away. Thought he was amazing. 

I had never seen Moreland but love his music. He was just phenomenal live and the crowd was very appreciative. You could hear a pin drop instead of the usual yammering yambags and he got a standing O. Isbell was great also. Prob the best top to bottom show I've ever been to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...