Jimbo 2022: Balls To The Face

Neonmoon

10 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

“They?” It’s ok to admit who you are here. 

Bring up Dylan Haines, and people will go nuts. He came here as a walk on, started a lot of games and made quite a few interceptions for us, yet many folks would label him a bust. He’s more disrespected than Blake Gideon by our fan base. 

Leon’s play has come nowhere close to expectations, and is light years off of living up to his finger tapping and gum flapping. 

And “lost one game?” C’mon man! We saw the games. Certainly true in a literal sense, but it was a pile of wins against shitty teams. I wouldn’t brag if I won a 100 meter race against a guy with one leg. That LSU game was a retard fight. 

Wouldn't consider Haines, a walk-on who started a bunch of games, a bust. He was trash on a trash team, but still contributed above his expectations.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, I know that O’Neal gets clowned here for good reason but I don’t see how he gets labeled a bust. He’s been starting most games for them for the last two years and played a bunch his first year. He was a starter on a team that lost one game and leaned on its defense. He’s got 4 career picks and a bunch of tackles.

He hasn’t lived up to his mouth, for damn sure. But to me a bust is someone who doesn’t see the field or who is a total liability that makes the team demonstrably worse.  A career starter on a good defensive team isn’t a bust.

I don't want to hear a fucking thing about winning 8 games against teams with a combined .375 winning percentage.

• Hook 'Em 7

13 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Wouldn't consider Haines, a walk-on who started a bunch of games, a bust. He was trash on a trash team, but still contributed above his expectations.

I would not either, but you can’t mention his name here without crazy rantings against him. He’s the opposite of Leon, yet many people here have a strong dislike of Haines and you’d probably be hard-pressed to find aggies who will speak ill of O’Neal. Like the Loochie versus Fat Ketch deal, or even the super awesome one-loss season thing, they always pump theirs up as the best ever. 

i recall some long ago discussions with ags about the greatness of Jaxson Appel. 

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

“They?” It’s ok to admit who you are here. 

Bring up Dylan Haines, and people will go nuts. He came here as a walk on, started a lot of games and made quite a few interceptions for us, yet many folks would label him a bust. He’s more disrespected than Blake Gideon by our fan base. 

Leon’s play has come nowhere close to expectations, and is light years off of living up to his finger tapping and gum flapping. 

And “lost one game?” C’mon man! We saw the games. Certainly true in a literal sense, but it was a pile of wins against shitty teams. I wouldn’t brag if I won a 100 meter race against a guy with one leg. That LSU game was a retard fight. 

No one would label Dylan Haines a bust because he was a walk-on. Walk-ons can’t be busts because they had no expectations to fail to meet. People would just say Dylan Haines fucking sucked. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

No one would label Dylan Haines a bust because he was a walk-on. Walk-ons can’t be busts because they had no expectations to fail to meet. People would just say Dylan Haines fucking sucked. 

Dylan Haines was the lesser Blake Gideon. The fact that we couldn't get that guy off the field is an indictment on the Strong regime. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Dylan Haines was the lesser Blake Gideon. The fact that we couldn't get that guy off the field is an indictment on the Strong regime. 

I'm fully aware. Listen, Dylan Haines fucking sucked. But that's not his fault in any way shape or form. I don't wish that motherfucker ill-will. I wish Charlie Strong ill-will. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think people are all in agreement here (except for 956). Simply getting on the field and starting a lot of games doesn't save you from being a bust, sucking relative to expectations makes you one. 

Haines started a lot of games and sucked after coming in as a walkon = not a bust

O'neal has started a lot of games and has sucked as a high four star = bust

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm fully aware. Listen, Dylan Haines fucking sucked. But that's not his fault in any way shape or form. I don't wish that motherfucker ill-will. I wish Charlie Strong ill-will. 

But to your original point, the guy far out kicked the coverage as far as what should be expected of a walkon player. It isn't his fault he had a low athletic ceiling, but he was a very smart player who did some good things and often seemed to come up with interceptions at critical times. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree with you. My point to the ag (which I obviously didn't make very clearly) was that we do not laud mediocrity, even if it comes from a walk on. They celebrate it, especially when the mediocre player owns dem durn t-sippers on twitter.

9 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah, I know that O’Neal gets clowned here for good reason but I don’t see how he gets labeled a bust. He’s been starting most games for them for the last two years and played a bunch his first year. He was a starter on a team that lost one game and leaned on its defense. He’s got 4 career picks and a bunch of tackles  ...    ...  who is a total liability that makes the team demonstrably worse.  A career starter on a good defensive team isn’t a bust.

Why do you say them? Aren't you an Ag? FWIW, that is an atrocious expectation level for a player that was ranked in the top 75 in the country and top 10 in the state. He absolutely is a liability, but much like Haines and Gideon as discussed here, the inability for Elko to recruit over him doesn't mean he's good. 

Aggy as a whole love to talk about what busts the 2018 DBs at Texas are but O'Neal is far less productive than those guys and there are no Texas fans would claim that Sterns or Foster "met expectations" by starting and getting some picks and tackles. The idea that O'Neal somehow meets anyone's expectations is mind-blowing to me. He's been terrible. Trevon Moehrig who aggy decided not to pursue and who could've been aggy produced FAR better than all the others but also has the advantage of having been coached by Paul Gonzales who is really good. Proving that evaluation is key and that development matters. 

O'Neal - 103 tkl - 4 INT - 5 PBU

Sterns - 173 tkl - 5 INT - 8 PBU

BJ Foster - 122 tkl - 2 INT - 9 PBU (2 FF) 

Trevon Moehrig-Woodard - 124 tkls - 7 INT - 21 PBU (2 FF) 

• Hook 'Em 7

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He was a starter on a team that lost one game and leaned on its defense.

10 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He hasn’t lived up to his mouth, for damn sure. But to me a bust is someone who doesn’t see the field or who is a total liability that makes the team demonstrably worse.  A career starter on a good defensive team isn’t a bust.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbovsuUPeXCzakGWQ04gc

Starter on a team that lost one game, won a conference title, and played for a national championship. All those things can be true while still being a total liability.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

You forgot the other 4 guys.

image.png.1691d05430b120e378fa4b3a6b4dde01.png

Man, no bullshit I stared at this depth chart for a good bit trying to decide which guy to use to make that point. Ultimately that Chris Hall picture makes me laugh (and rage) so I had to go with it.

Colt and Ship (plus the defense) pulled some miracles that season to take us as far as we went. 

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Why do you say them? Aren't you an Ag? FWIW, that is an atrocious expectation level for a player that was ranked in the top 75 in the country and top 10 in the state. He absolutely is a liability, but much like Haines and Gideon as discussed here, the inability for Elko to recruit over him doesn't mean he's good. 

Aggy as a whole love to talk about what busts the 2018 DBs at Texas are but O'Neal is far less productive than those guys and there are no Texas fans would claim that Sterns or Foster "met expectations" by starting and getting some picks and tackles. The idea that O'Neal somehow meets anyone's expectations is mind-blowing to me. He's been terrible. Trevon Moehrig who aggy decided not to pursue and who could've been aggy produced FAR better than all the others but also has the advantage of having been coached by Paul Gonzales who is really good. Proving that evaluation is key and that development matters. 

O'Neal - 103 tkl - 4 INT - 5 PBU

Sterns - 173 tkl - 5 INT - 8 PBU

BJ Foster - 122 tkl - 2 INT - 9 PBU (2 FF) 

Trevon Moehrig-Woodard - 124 tkls - 7 INT - 21 PBU (2 FF) 

I don’t think Foster and Sterns are busts at all.  Recruiting and projecting at the high school level is such an inexact science, even more so than the NFL.  I look at a true NFL bust as someone who doesn’t contribute or play much for the team he’s drafted by.  A first round player who turns into a multi year starter isn’t a bust even if you had all-pro hopes for the guy when you drafted him. And every year you will have some players who turn into All-Pros drafted way down in the lower rounds. Same way, in college, I look at most multi-year starters as a non-busts if they are starting for multiple years on a decent team. That alone means you are a good football player, there are very few people capable of doing that. 

When I think NFL bust, I think Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Charles Rogers. When I think college bust, I think Ryan Perriloux, Ben Olson, Darrell Scott. I reserve that term for catastrophes and not “this guy was really supposed to be better.” Where O’Neal stands out is his mouth and his knack for truly stupid penalties, which reminds you constantly that “this guy was really supposed to be better.”

35 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Screenshot_20210225-202554.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-202601.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-202610.jpg

Screenshot_20210225-202624.jpg

You know when you have a problem....the 1st thing out of your mouth is “these kids want to play in the SEC.”. Not “these kids want to come to college station.” Not “these kids want to wear maroon.”  Not “these kids want to play for ATM.”   Subconsciously, you even know you have an issue.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, TBD said:

You know when you have a problem....the 1st thing out of your mouth is “these kids want to play in the SEC.”. Not “these kids want to come to college station.” Not “these kids want to wear maroon.”  Not “these kids want to play for ATM.”   Subconsciously, you even know you have an issue.  

This is surprising to you? aggy's entire identity as a football team revolves around being a member of the SEC. Not like they have any other accomplishments to brag about. This is nothing new.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

This is surprising to you? aggy's entire identity as a football team revolves around being a member of the SEC. Not like they have any other accomplishments to brag about. This is nothing new.

Not surprising at all.  Just wanted to highlight for the Aggie lurkers.  

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Dear God please be true.  I want us to pull a Demani Richardson and Dylan Wright on them.

Whatever could you mean? Those were some of the cleanest recruitments they can remember.  Nothing shady at all about being left out of the top 5 then committing 2 weeks later.  Use your brain stupid sip. 

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Everyone needs to lay off O’Neal, we need him to at least appear to be good. I have a dream that he gets an invite to the combine and then runs a >5.0 40 yard dash. Just imagine. 

I don't know.  An embarrassing season full of blunders and no invite seems pretty cool, too.  He could run a 5.2 or whatever at their pro day.