Houston ship channel closed as Cirque de Greenpeace hangs from the Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman bridge

clapclapclap

I'm assuming they'd only accept rescue/body recovery by wind or solar powered boats in the event they fell into the channel. 

I hope that was stipulated by one of their clan.

It's been a while but I think there is still a Clipper in Galveston that could get to them in a few days.

4 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

Protesting oil in Houston seems a bit of a pointless gesture, probably with a negative return considering most of the bridge and highway traffic in that area is just people trying to get to their jobs.... in the energy industry. 

Right? That'd be like protesting deforestation by tying yourself to a tree around a bunch of loggers. 

51 minutes ago, RPM said:

Never knew it was called anything other than Houston Ship Channel Bridge.

Well there's 3 of them.  610 is The Big Bridge (it was the first one built), Beltway 8 is The Toll Bridge, and this one is The Baytown Bridge (or The La Porte Bridge if you're geodyslexic.)

Edited by clapclapclap
Mulva

18 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Well there's 3 of them.  610 is The Big Bridge (it was the first one built), Beltway 8 is The Toll Bridge, and this one is The Baytown Bridge (or The La Porte Bridge if you're geodyslexic.)

"Ship Channel" Bridge to me has always been the 610 bridge.  

Fred Hartman Bridge has always been the Fred Hartman Bridge.   

Others in the area may see it differently, but that has always been the case for this local 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Send in PETA, tell 'em the Greenpeacers are wearing animal pelts. Or maybe get some of them monocle sneks and let 'em snek slither down the ropes and do what monocle snek do. If they're using nylon rope get the Californians involved, tell 'em there's a danger of getting plastic into the waterways.

I say go drop some sugar or honey all over them, and the rope, and then release a couple million fire ants onto the rope.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

What is the name of the bridge on 45 going to Galveston?

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Are they seriously shutting down the ship channel for 24 hours?  Won't that cost somebody millions of dollars?  Seems like greenpeace would be liable for for monetary losses.

But the protest is so peaceful.

Why would they be responsible for anything?

Notice that when they did the same thing in Portland, Oregon a few years ago, they were up there for almost two days and eventually let themselves down. Law enforcement never seriously tried to remove them and kept saying how "dangerous" it would be and "let this play out".

These guys try the same thing in Houston and are there for 12 hours and HCSO comes over the side to get them. My guess is that they were there only about as long as it took to get the response team together and come up with a plan. All of the "We'll let them stay for 24 hours" was just talk. 

18 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Meh.  Those saps in Houston are still JV material when it comes to this.  

Austin knows how to work traffic in the right fashion.  We were all disappointed that the bus didn't make a right turn. 

1006_aus_protestorsonlamarjpg

Off the charts attention-seeking.

17 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I'm assuming they'd only accept rescue/body recovery by wind or solar powered boats in the event they fell into the channel. 

I hope that was stipulated by one of their clan.

It's been a while but I think there is still a Clipper in Galveston that could get to them in a few days.

Only boats made without any use of petrochemicals ... which probably rules out the solar boat.