Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying good-bye's not easy.....

https://nesn.com/2020/01/nfl-rumors-jason-garrett-refusing-to-accept-being-fired-by-the-cowboys/

Despite the Dallas Cowboys making it clear they’re moving on from the head coach, Garrett has remained around the team’s facilities, FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer reported Sunday afternoon. It sounds like a very strange situation, one that has lingered on after initial reports of the Cowboys firing multiple coaches. Garret’s contract with the Cowboys expires Jan. 14, thus Dallas technically doesn’t need to “fire” the 53-year-old. Try making sense of this: “Never seen anything like it,” Glazer said. “Because Jason Garrett, they’ve gone to him now multiple times this week to say, ‘OK, you’re out as the head coach.’ And he says, ‘Hold on, don’t do it yet, I still want to be considered for this.’ And every time they do it, say, ‘We’re moving on, we’re starting to interview other people’ … They have to tell Jason Garrett, ‘No, you’re gone, we’re moving on.’ “Never seen anything like it.”

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2020/01/nfl-rumors-jason-garrett-refusing-to-accept-being-fired-by-the-cowboys/

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, michaelpshayes said:

They’re going to hire Mike McCarthy aren’t they ...wretch puke fuck 

This is what I’m thinking. Fuck me. I’d talked myself into Lincoln Riley with a good, experienced DC, but they’re gonna get scared of the fear of the unknown. They’ll settle for someone who is a little better than Garrett instead of risking it on someone who has a wider range of outcomes.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

What I find funny is so many consider Payton a genius. And McCarthy as an idiot. And I might not disagree. But...they are mirror images of themselves when it comes to on the field results. And the same situations. Both have great regular season QB who are regarded as some of the best to play. Both have went to and won a Super Bowl. Both have been to a few other NfC title games and lost those. Both of their success came about a decade ago.

29 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Works for me. It could seriously be a lot worse. In fact, I expect that we won't hire him and will do a lot worse. One of the other openings will then go to McCarthy, who will have success, while whatever puppet we get will continue with the 8-8 ginger ways.

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Never seen anything like it.  Have some fucking pride Jason.

It’s a bad breakup man. Take Ginger out for some nachos and beer. Ya this is really sad. What do you guys tell your guy friends when they do shit like this after a long relationship goes to shit? 

9 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Petty ass angle..... Everything about the situation has been mishandled, or what Jerrah calls, "The Cowboy Way".

Big Kat on pardon my take has been joking for a week now about how JJ was going to fire Garrett in the middle of the eagles game to take away headlines from wild card weekend. Fucking spot on lol

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
5 minutes ago, youdunnf said:
Big Kat on pardon my take has been joking for a week now about how JJ was going to fire Garrett in the middle of the eagles game to take away headlines from wild card weekend. Fucking spot on lol

Jerry will announce our new HC during the Super Bowl...

Yep. 

Since we can’t get an actual badass, I’d be okay with McCarthy, hoping that he gets some decent coordinators.

Um Dallas already has their assistants in place with Marinelli, Kris Richard (Assistant Head Coach) Kellen Moore and of course the Director of Advanced Scouting and Special Projects Judd Garrett...
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
13 minutes ago, youdunnf said:

Jerry will announce our new HC during the Super Bowl...

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yep. 

Part of me feels like there was a glimmer of hope for Garrett because Jerry really cares about him and wants to see him succeed with the cowboys. But then he turned on the eagles game and got triggered, pulled Garrett into his office, and said “you see this shit, Jason. This is why I can’t bring you back. How the fuck are we not playing in this game with the team I built for you, and the injuries the eagles had. You want to know the answer? Because you’re not good enough.”

7 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Okay final offer:

Trade Dak for Sean Payton and Taysom Hill. Landslide value for Cowboys but who knows, people have done dumber!

Yes, that would be a dumb ass trade on Dallas' part. You get a gimmick player who can't play QB full time. A coach who would no longer have his HOF QB in Brees. No thanks.

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Fuck Marinelli

He's worse than Garrett. His defense was trash every year here. Zero ability to create turnovers or make any impact with any consistency. Got drudged in every divisional round playoff game. He also went 0-16 with the Lions. fuck him indeed. 

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yes, that would be a dumb ass trade on Dallas' part. You get a gimmick player who can't play QB full time. A coach who would no longer have his HOF QB in Brees. No thanks.

I’m not sure I agree with your police work there Lou! Everything I’ve seen shows a much better QB than Dak and I’m not rolling/trolling/doing a bit (maybe I’m just a football dummy)

5 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Fuck Marinelli

Bend but don’t break, bro. Why would we want turnovers or big plays when we can just give up long drives that lead to field goals. Why would we need talent at DT when we can just let teams run all over us. Who needs a play making saftey when you have JAGs like heath and Woods (although I’m not ready to completely write woods off)

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

He's worse than Garrett. His defense was trash every year here. Zero ability to create turnovers or make any impact with any consistency. Got drudged in every divisional round playoff game. He also went 0-16 with the Lions. fuck him indeed. 

David Newberry made a good point during the pregame show vs Washington. Our inability to get turnovers has been a constant across multiple DCs undert Garrett. David's belief is that Garrett's conservative disposition extends to areas outside of just the offensive side of the ball. Look at how infrequently our DBs play press coverage or try to alter routes and mess up timing. Say what you want about Marinelli, but that style of defense (tampa 2/cover 3 going back all the way to when Tony Dungy was the DC for the Vikings in the 90s, to Lovie Smith/Marinelli's Bears which were some of the most ball hawking defenes in the history of the NFL) was notorious for creating turnovers for years, but suddenly under Garrett it was not only not any good in that department but absolutely atrocious. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Like 1