Dallas Cowboys 2020 Offseason Thread -- 25th Anniversary of Mediocrity

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So I’ve cooled off a little bit. This is what I’ll say. Not a sexy hire at all, but:

1. Clearly better than Garrett on game day. That doesn’t mean much, but that almost can’t be disputed

2. This team and this organization has lost to mike McCarthy led teams basically every time they’ve had a big year. If nothing else, he should command a lot more respect than Garrett

3. with the right defensive coordinator, I think at least just from a “new voice” standpoint, this is the safest hire we could’ve gotten. At the very least he knows what he’s doing more than Garrett 

with that being said, I bet him accepting the job was contingent on keeping Kellen Moore and Jon Kitna. Who knows if Moore will call plays (since McCarthy has done that for the majority of his HC career) but I know the Jones family wants to keep those two around for Dak’s development. I don’t know. It’s not super exciting, but it’s an upgrade over Garrett. Whatever 

We don't have to worry about losing to Mike McCarthy anymore. Now we have to worry about losing BECAUSE OF Mike McCarthy.

I'll add this though. Garrett was always a deer in the headlights. Green, inexperienced. With the sophistication of NFL Defenses and Offenses, you need an HC who has seen a lot. One who can immediately spot the adjustments that an opponent makes, and knows what weaknesses those adjustments open up. McCarthy needs to hire some good coordinators, and Goddammit, he needs to study what the Niners and Ravens are doing that make them so unstoppable. You've got a clean slate, asshole. Now get to work.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So I’ve cooled off a little bit. This is what I’ll say. Not a sexy hire at all, but:

1. Clearly better than Garrett on game day. That doesn’t mean much, but that almost can’t be disputed

2. This team and this organization has lost to mike McCarthy led teams basically every time they’ve had a big year. If nothing else, he should command a lot more respect than Garrett

3. with the right defensive coordinator, I think at least just from a “new voice” standpoint, this is the safest hire we could’ve gotten. At the very least he knows what he’s doing more than Garrett 

with that being said, I bet him accepting the job was contingent on keeping Kellen Moore and Jon Kitna. Who knows if Moore will call plays (since McCarthy has done that for the majority of his HC career) but I know the Jones family wants to keep those two around for Dak’s development. I don’t know. It’s not super exciting, but it’s an upgrade over Garrett. Whatever 

Hiring Southern Miss' tight ends coach would have been an upgrade over Garrett. Garrett is the poster child for nepotism and not earning your positions. Got his job as a backup quarterback for the cowboys because his dad was a longtime scout and ingratiated himself to Jerry Jones. he got to do one year as a quarterback coach under a horrificly bad Saban dolphins team before Jerry hired him to be offensive coordinator. He had one good season as offensive coordinator before turning in some pretty mediocre seasons then Jerry makes him head coach. 

This guy has never once deserved or earned any position he's gotten and his entire professional life is due to Jerry Jones nepotism. 

Are the NYG really interested in hiring ginger? I mean, seriously? I would be all for it because it will end one of two ways. (1) He'll suck (most likely). (2) He'll succeed and Jerry will asphyxiate himself in humiliation, and we are then free. Do it NY, do it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Ok Surly, let's hear why Nolan is a bad hire at DC. Other than he's the current LB coach with the Saints, i know nothing other than his name. 

He was a crappy head coach for the niners back in the day who would hilariously wear a full suit and tie on the sidelines like a schmuck. 

Other than that he's been a solid football coach. No matter who they hire it'll be better than the former cowboy country club regime they're replacing. If Jerry croaks out over the off-season a staff under McCarthy can ceiling this thing to a conference title game or two. 

Basically Rogers “Hollywood fudge packer” that he totally is. He’s a bitch. Period. He is an amazing talent. But having said that I’d pick Brady every day even now. It’s called what you see or not on the line of scrimmage. How you audible out or not. Best ability is availability.

Edited by Nicole44

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Another question is would the Packers have made the playoffs 8 years in a row if they were in a division that wasn't comprised of the Lions, Bears, and Vikings who were mostly shitty during the playoff streak?

Really have you seen the NFC East lately

1 hour ago, Junior Miller said:

He was a crappy head coach for the niners back in the day who would hilariously wear a full suit and tie on the sidelines like a schmuck. 

Other than that he's been a solid football coach. No matter who they hire it'll be better than the former cowboy country club regime they're replacing. If Jerry croaks out over the off-season a staff under McCarthy can ceiling this thing to a conference title game or two. 

0c6f3c157abaaa18c68b3ca845aa2e4f.jpg

You must not be a Cowboys fan.

• Like 5

I don’t think there is anyone in the country that would be both willing to take the job and be accepted as a great hire. The job isn’t an awesome job because of Jerry. If he wasn’t the GM and didn’t meddle then it would be an amazing job. Could have a slam dunk hire if Jerry would fire himself. This is a pretty good hire given the circumstances. 

I was hoping for Marvin Lewis so I could die laughing and not have to work this week. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If a condition of employment is to retain all the offensive staff as was posted yesterday, that’s all I need to know. That’s Jerry’s puppetry test and McCarthy would have passed. 

I really don't have a problem with him keeping some of the offensive staff.  Still felt like Garretts philosophy and tendencies still had a great bearing on what they did every week.

As long as he cleans out the defensive/ST staff I'm cool. Can't get much worse.

Plus it's an even year...theyre winning double digits games. 

27 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t know anything about Mike Nolan, but Wikipedia tells me he hasn’t been a DC since 2014. That does not seem like a good sign. 

And when he was a DC, he wasn't that great. He's basically been on the downward trend of the career ladder. Went from HC to DC to now LB coach. That is not a good sign at all if you keep being demoted. He was god awful as a HC and was fired from SF. Which does not mean much when it comes to being a coordinator. Plenty of guys are much better suited as OC/DC than head coach. Wade Phillips being one of them. This is one thing I have always hated about coaches. They want to go and get their buddies who they know and comfortable with. Tom Herman did this same shit and it bit him in the ass. Nolan does not do much to improve this defense. I would have rather see what Richard could do without Marinelli. 

• Like 1

Also back to McCarthy, does anyone recall if there was any interest in him after he was fired midseason in Green Bay to end last season? Wondering if his one year off was his choice or no one was really interested. I know his name was being drug through the mud with how the relationship ended with Rodgers. Not sure if that scared teams away that were looking for coaches. I didn't pay any attention to him after he was fired. Had no idea he'd be ours a year later.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

McCarthy proves he has revamped his coaching career with new age theory by hiring an ancient DC who failed miserably at his last several DC gigs, after some decent success in the early 2000s.

How you described Nolan, was how Marinelli was described when he came here.

But he had one year to re-think everything!! He's a changed man!! He has a spiffy little analytical team.

Newsflash, no coach in his mid 50s who has been coaching as long as he has ever changes their stripes. Coaches are about as stubborn as they come. Especially those who have had past success as he did.

52 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Also back to McCarthy, does anyone recall if there was any interest in him after he was fired midseason in Green Bay to end last season? Wondering if his one year off was his choice or no one was really interested. I know his name was being drug through the mud with how the relationship ended with Rodgers. Not sure if that scared teams away that were looking for coaches. I didn't pay any attention to him after he was fired. Had no idea he'd be ours a year later.

I recall McCarthy interviewing with the jets last year and he actually turned down the chance to interview with both the cardinals and browns.

The Timing of this hire says to me that jerry had to hire McCarthy now or another team was going too.

i still think this was the best hire we could get because Jerruh was the one making the call.

Edited by Voldemort86

This is just a theory, but I’m convinced Jerry didn’t fire Garrett because he wanted to make sure he could get someone that, in his mind, was clearly better than Garrett. If he couldn’t find anyone who he thought was clearly better, like without question, I bet he extends him. I heard that theory thrown around, and I think there’s some truth to it 

What happened to the stock/name/reputation of a one, Kris Richard? Is it because he prounces his last name all gay like? Serious question though because it didn't seem like anyone came-a-calling for him to interview this offseason and he didn't get the Dcordinatior gig? Yikes.

38 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

What happened to the stock/name/reputation of a one, Kris Richard? Is it because he prounces his last name all gay like? Serious question though because it didn't seem like anyone came-a-calling for him to interview this offseason and he didn't get the Dcordinatior gig? Yikes.

Huh? Also it’s been pretty well documented that the Cowboys are fucked up

19 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Huh? Also it’s been pretty well documented that the Cowboys are fucked up

But I mean, wouldn't you assume the D Coordinator role is Kris Richard's to lose? Maybe he lost it with the secondary play this year?

I remember the first month of the season hearing how he is a flight risk to be a head coach next year and then nothing. Forgot he was actually a D-coordinator with Seattle and is just a Defensive backs coach in Dallas.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Just watch. The Jones Boys are going to try and keep Kellen Moore. McCarthy is probably interviewing him right now, tonight. This has all the earmarks of a magnificent clusterfuck courtesy of those tightwad, gun jumping hillbillies.

Oh it's going to happen. Kellen and Kitna are still under contract. They aren't going anywhere. I heard today that McCarthy already was a fan of Kellen.

I don't mind Kellen staying. I am more worried about our DC and ST coaches.