737 down in Iran

Gil Bang

13 hours ago, Newdoc said:

There’s a cesspool on this site for political name calling and regurgitated talking points from your “news” sources. You kiddies know who you are and I can understand how you got lost on this big ol fancy confusing website but hit the back arrow or use the hyperlink at the top of the page labeled “politics” and go back to your playroom.

Hey, fuck you, don't send that trash over to politics.  Send them over to the football board with the rest of the insane people.

5 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yes, it’s unusual to have anyone filming anything late at night in a city of millions. Totally implausible. 

I asked a question, what was he taking video of? I didn’t rule the possibility he was just checking out the nighttime video capabilities of his new phone.

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I asked a question, what was he taking video of? I didn’t rule the possibility he was just checking out the nighttime video capabilities of his new phone.

You implied that it was a set up. 

It’s a city with millions of people in it. Go out and about any place that big virtually anywhere else at that time of night and you’ll see people with smart phones out filming all kinds of BS. 

43 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think the general thought is that they were likely Canadian citizens of Persian/Iranian ethnicity/nationality. 

The Tehran-Kyiv-Toronto flight on this carrier became a popular route because it was relatively cheap. There were 63 Canadians who I think were all of Iranian descent. The vast majority were either university students or professors. Very tragic. My cousin was friends with one of the Iranian-British citizens who died in the crash. Still no acknowledgment from the Iranian government that they shot down the plane. Infuriating

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I mean his country had just spent the evening launching a bunch of SRBMs at another country. It's 100% plausible that the dude is having a smoke, hears noise in the sky and whips out his phone to record what he thinks might be a missile launch. 

• Like 1

I’ve tried to write this post a few times and always ended up deleting it because I can’t find the right words. But I want to say it, so forgive any phrasing that comes off as insensitive or speculative...

It seems there’s a very strong possibility that this fuckup could have saved a lot of lives. By all appearances, Iran’s response (strikes on our bases with zero casualties) was meager and far less than many were speculating. We’ll probably never know, but it seems to me that IF they were planning further retaliation, they might have realized it was in their best interest to call off everything else as soon as they realized they’d just shot down a civilian plane.

All the talk about how the US had lost a lot of credibility in the region, allowed Iran to look like the lesser of two evils, opening the door for them to take a greater role in the ME...all that was blown as soon as they shot this plane down. Further escalation with the US immediately became less tenable. As stupid/tragic as this was, had it not occurred, we might be having a very different conversation right now

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I’ve tried to write this post a few times and always ended up deleting it because I can’t find the right words. But I want to say it, so forgive any phrasing that comes off as insensitive or speculative...

It seems there’s a very strong possibility that this fuckup could have saved a lot of lives. By all appearances, Iran’s response (strikes on our bases with zero casualties) was meager and far less than many were speculating. We’ll probably never know, but it seems to me that IF they were planning further retaliation, they might have realized it was in their best interest to call off everything else as soon as they realized they’d just shot down a civilian plane.

All the talk about how the US had lost a lot of credibility in the region, allowed Iran to look like the lesser of two evils, opening the door for them to take a greater role in the ME...all that was blown as soon as they shot this plane down. Further escalation with the US immediately became less tenable. As stupid/tragic as this was, had it not occurred, we might be having a very different conversation right now

I agree with that sentiment except this will blow over, they'll give an apology, and they'll still come out ahead in this conflict.  To be frank, the greater role in the region is also still available to them.  You're talking about people that have never not known war. An accidentally, or intentionally, downed airliner sucks but it sure isn't a deal breaker. 

However, I also think they will still ramp up proxy and shadow warfare even though they are getting everything they wanted from us.  We are gonna leave. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

I agree with that sentiment except this will blow over, they'll give an apology, and they'll still come out ahead in this conflict.  To be frank, the greater role in the region is also still available to them.  You're talking about people that have never not known war. An accidentally, or intentionally, downed airliner sucks but it sure isn't a deal breaker. 

However, I also think they will still ramp up proxy and shadow warfare even though they are getting everything they wanted from us.  We are gonna leave. 

Fair point. And I don't disagree in the long term. My observation is purely in regards to how the last few days (and immediate future) could've been wildly different had that plane not gone down.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Apparently Iran has admitted they accidentally shot the plane down.  Did not see that coming.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-jetliner-unintentionally-shot-down-1.5423608

Hard to keep lying when there’s credible video of a missile hitting a plane and pieces of a Russian missile at the crash site, not to mention the satellite evidence.  

Now Iran with the classic sibling retort of “He made me do it.” or “She started it.....”

And I agree that Iran used up most if any sympathy outside the ME to continue escalating this conflict. But it’s the ME and peace dies like a  Lily in a convection oven so they’ll be back at it within a week, at least subversively.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, Cajun said:

I mean the transponder on that jet had to squaking away, right?

Even the Iranians have to have something picking up it's signal indicating it's not a threat, right?

WTF?

The NY Times is reporting that the plane stopped transmitting their transponder signal between 20-30 seconds before it was hit, and that the Russian Tor missile system treats the absence of a valid code as an indication that the target is a threat.

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

The NY Times is reporting that the plane stopped transmitting their transponder signal between 20-30 seconds before it was hit.

Well then, let me just rearrange where I place my “WTF?”.

That seems just a tiny bit odd?

Iranians are protesting their government today.  I'm sure they will be killed by their military shortly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/protests-erupt-in-iran-after-military-admits-downing-ukrainian-passenger-jet-death-to-the-dictator/ar-BBYRlhI?li=BBnb7Kz

Protesters in Iran are demanding that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei steps down, after the country's military admitted to accidentally downing a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing all 176 people on board.

Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 crashed shortly after leaving Imam Khomeini International Airport in the Iranian capital of Tehran on Wednesday. It came days after President Donald Trump ordered adrone strike in Iraq to kill QassemSoleimani, the head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Quds Force, on January 3, escalating tensions between the countries.

On Saturday afternoon, thousands of people gathered in Tehran's main squares as meetings organized on social media to mourn the dead transformed into protests against the military's mistake, The New York Times reported. Chants in videos seen on social media by the newspaper included "Death to liars!", "Death to the dictator!" and "You have no shame."

An angry crowd in front of AmirKabir university in the city appeared to chant "Commander-in-chief (Khamenei) resign, resign" in a video, according to Reuters. The news agency said it could not verify the authenticity of the video footage.

The semi-official Iranian Fars News Agency, which is linked to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, demanded those responsible be held accountable, and said the shortcomings of the country's leaders had made the "tragedy twice as bitter," according to The New York Times.

Earlier in the day, angry Iranians took to social media to ask why civilians had become the victims of their country's "harsh revenge," according to The New York Times. Following the death of the top military commander, Iranian officials pledged to exact vengeance against the U.S.. Last week, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei promised harsh revenge against the "criminals" who killed Soleimani, Reuters reported. The Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations MajidTakhtRavanchi made a similar threat in an interview with CNN last week, as did AbdollahAraghi, a senior commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, on Thursday, The New York Times reported citing Iran's Tasnim news agency.

Freelance journalist Mojtaba Fathi tweeted, according to a translation: "They were supposed to take their harsh revenge against America, not the people."

Iran had initially denied reports that one if its missiles hit the aircraft. But on Thursday, U.S. officials told Newsweek they suspected that Iran's anti-aircraft systems had struck the Ukrainian flight, accidentally killing the passengers and crew on board. Of those killed, 82 were Iranian, 63 were Canadian and 11 were Ukrainian, 10 were Swedish, seven were Afghan, and three were German nationals.

On Saturday morning, Iran's military said, in a statement published by the official IRNA news agency that an investigation had revealed it had in fact downed the Ukrainian passenger jet "unintentionally, due to human error."

It explained its airforce defense units were on high alert after Soleimani's death. In "such a sensitive and critical situation" the Ukrainian aircraft had "moved very close to a sensitive military spot" belonging to Iran's Revolutionary Guards. The "altitude and the direction of the flight's movement were like an enemy target," the statement read.

Iranian president Hassan Rouhani tweeted on Saturday: "The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake. My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences."

46 minutes ago, Hate said:

Iranians are protesting their government today.  I'm sure they will be killed by their military shortly.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/protests-erupt-in-iran-after-military-admits-downing-ukrainian-passenger-jet-death-to-the-dictator/ar-BBYRlhI?li=BBnb7Kz

Protesters in Iran are demanding that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei steps down, after the country's military admitted to accidentally downing a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing all 176 people on board.

Ukraine International Airlines flight PS752 crashed shortly after leaving Imam Khomeini International Airport in the Iranian capital of Tehran on Wednesday. It came days after President Donald Trump ordered adrone strike in Iraq to kill QassemSoleimani, the head of Iran's Revolutionary Guards Quds Force, on January 3, escalating tensions between the countries.

On Saturday afternoon, thousands of people gathered in Tehran's main squares as meetings organized on social media to mourn the dead transformed into protests against the military's mistake, The New York Times reported. Chants in videos seen on social media by the newspaper included "Death to liars!", "Death to the dictator!" and "You have no shame."

An angry crowd in front of AmirKabir university in the city appeared to chant "Commander-in-chief (Khamenei) resign, resign" in a video, according to Reuters. The news agency said it could not verify the authenticity of the video footage.

The semi-official Iranian Fars News Agency, which is linked to the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, demanded those responsible be held accountable, and said the shortcomings of the country's leaders had made the "tragedy twice as bitter," according to The New York Times.

Earlier in the day, angry Iranians took to social media to ask why civilians had become the victims of their country's "harsh revenge," according to The New York Times. Following the death of the top military commander, Iranian officials pledged to exact vengeance against the U.S.. Last week, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei promised harsh revenge against the "criminals" who killed Soleimani, Reuters reported. The Iranian Ambassador to the United Nations MajidTakhtRavanchi made a similar threat in an interview with CNN last week, as did AbdollahAraghi, a senior commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, on Thursday, The New York Times reported citing Iran's Tasnim news agency.

Freelance journalist Mojtaba Fathi tweeted, according to a translation: "They were supposed to take their harsh revenge against America, not the people."

Iran had initially denied reports that one if its missiles hit the aircraft. But on Thursday, U.S. officials told Newsweek they suspected that Iran's anti-aircraft systems had struck the Ukrainian flight, accidentally killing the passengers and crew on board. Of those killed, 82 were Iranian, 63 were Canadian and 11 were Ukrainian, 10 were Swedish, seven were Afghan, and three were German nationals.

On Saturday morning, Iran's military said, in a statement published by the official IRNA news agency that an investigation had revealed it had in fact downed the Ukrainian passenger jet "unintentionally, due to human error."

It explained its airforce defense units were on high alert after Soleimani's death. In "such a sensitive and critical situation" the Ukrainian aircraft had "moved very close to a sensitive military spot" belonging to Iran's Revolutionary Guards. The "altitude and the direction of the flight's movement were like an enemy target," the statement read.

Iranian president Hassan Rouhani tweeted on Saturday: "The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake. My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences."

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1