2020 Dems: Iowa (how it works and what to look for)

bad_teammate

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve followed Iowa caucus coverage before, but I’ve never watched all the mechanics of how it actually works like this before.  This is the dumbest system ever, and I feel bad for watching it.

It's insane this is allowed and that they get to go first and set the trend (at least for most Democratic nomination cycles).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Anecdotally Biden is having issues staying viable in some places, but this is all twitter rumor, so take with the proper amount of salt.

I know fuck all about Johnston, IA, but NYT reporters reporting he didn't make the cut there. Sanders eeked it out over Klobuchar 76-75, Pete at 70, Warren at 59. No one else viable.

Edit: Meant cut on the first alignment, not second. I guess it is a Des Moines suburb that flipped from GOP to D in 2018. That Biden couldn't even get top four there is a bad look. Sanders has to feel good about coming in first there.

Edited by gmr548

6 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I believe it.  The old people need to leave to go to sleep or change their depends.  The Bernie Bros aren’t switching their support.  They’ll hold out all night.

well they can’t switch if they’re viable, right?  and if they’re not, they have to switch or bounce on round 2. i think. 

15 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve followed Iowa caucus coverage before, but I’ve never watched all the mechanics of how it actually works like this before.  This is the dumbest system ever, and I feel bad for watching it.

Who the fuck has time to sit around in a gym for hours with a bunch of randoms? The rest of the country mostly swings by on the way to work or on the way home - usually takes no longer than 5-10 mins. 

2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

These people had the right idea

The 2008 Texas caucus was at the church across the street from my old apartment complex. A few of us pre-gamed and walked over to it fairly wasted. The caucus itself was pretty stupid, but it was pretty interesting and unique to witness and participate in. Was just Hillary and Obama and went much faster and less dramatically than these on TV though. Went to Doc's afterwards and continued drinking. Cool story bro. 

Edited by BradInATX

1 minute ago, longhornmatt said:

Lol, they’re just now starting to count in the place where Tapper is?   It’s been an hour and a half and they’re just starting?

This piece of shit state should be kicked out of the Union.

He said earlier that they didn’t have enough cards for the number of people that showed up. So they had to wait for more. Then they tried to count the total number of people attending, but somehow they failed at that the first time around so they had to do it again. 

2 minutes ago, heso said:

He said earlier that they didn’t have enough cards for the number of people that showed up. So they had to wait for more. Then they tried to count the total number of people attending, but somehow they failed at that the first time around so they had to do it again. 

Sorry guys, we ran out of toner.

No democracy for you!

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yeah, so far he is getting pummeled. Who was the last person to win the Caucus and the nomination? 

As a Democrat? Iowa winner has won pretty much every recent nomination. Someone named the last year they didn't earlier in the thread I think, but it was a while back. Of course, that includes some sitting Presidents and a VP, as well as what was essentially a tie in 2016, so that streak as as tenuous as one that long can be.