2020 CFB Catch All Thread

LTtxfan

This might be the worse weekend of the Corona/Wuhan season yet. Not one game so far has been worth a damn. Even at our worst, we still make the weekends better. Even, if it's just bitching about Herman on Surly.

I did get my work done at least. Got my last 4 calves of the year penned and finished setting up the deer stands. So, I guess it was a wash.

41 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Playoff system is going to ruin college football. I don't know how many of more of these Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, wild card playoffs I can handle. I'm telling you man, if the national championship is Alabama vs Clemson again I'm not watching it. 

More variety would be better for CFB for sure...

15 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Playoff system is going to ruin college football. I don't know how many of more of these Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, wild card playoffs I can handle. I'm telling you man, if the national championship is Alabama vs Clemson again I'm not watching it. 

14 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

More variety would be better for CFB for sure...

I get it, but how exactly would you select teams for the NC game if not those teams. I havent seen much to dispute that Bama and Clemson were the two best teams in the years that they played. Both voting and statistics driven computer polls tend to validate that matchup. I'd rather watch them play than BYU Cincy playing for the national championship, if they decided to change it up for the variety. Its not the playoff system, its that nobody can usually beat those teams in the regular season. Last year Bama stumbled, and LSU got the nod. 

On 11/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, Blotto said:

I get it, but how exactly would you select teams for the NC game if not those teams. I havent seen much to dispute that Bama and Clemson were the two best teams in the years that they played. Both voting and statistics driven computer polls tend to validate that matchup. I'd rather watch them play than BYU Cincy playing for the national championship, if they decided to change it up for the variety. Its not the playoff system, its that nobody can usually beat those teams in the regular season. Last year Bama stumbled, and LSU got the nod. 

But I think that's the symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself. There's no doubt that those are great programs but I think the playoff has caused the lack of variety. Look at the last 6 years of the playoff system and compare it to the last 6 years of the BCS system. Here's what the playoff has brought us: 5 appearances by Alabama, 5 appearances by Clemson, 4 appearances by OUsux, 3 appearances by Ohio State, and 1 appearance from Oregon, Florida State, Michigan State, Washington, Georgia, Notre Dame, and LSU. Compare that to what we would have seen had the playoff been determined by the top 4 in the BCS: 5 appearances by Alabama, 2 appearances by Auburn, Florida, Oregon, Stanford, TCU, Texas, and 1 appearance from Florida State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, LSU, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, and OUsux.

It just seems like the promise of the playoff haven't been fulfilled. I remember the BCS controversy in 2008 when OU was ranked above us. People kept saying "these programs are almost the same so it's hard to tell which one is better". What the fuck? They played each other. The answer of which team is better was settled on the goddamn field. Then you see programs like Pedo State who beat Ohio State, win their division, make it the conference championship game and win, only to lose a playoff spot to an Ohio State team that didn't do any of those things. So damn stupid.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

But I think that's the symptom of a problem rather than the problem itself. There's no doubt that those are great programs but I think the playoff has caused the lack of variety. Look at the last 6 years of the playoff system and compare it to the last 6 years of the BCS system. Here's what the playoff has brought us: 5 appearances by Alabama, 5 appearances by Clemson, 4 appearances by OUsux, 3 appearances by Ohio State, and 1 appearance from Oregon, Florida State, Michigan State, Washington, Georgia, Notre Dame, and LSU. Compare that to what we would have seen had the playoff been determined by the top 4 in the BCS: 5 appearances by Alabama, 2 appearances by Auburn, Florida, Oregon, Stanford, TCU, Texas, and 1 appearance from Florida State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, LSU, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, and OUsux.

It just seems like the promise of the playoff haven't been fulfilled. I remember the BCS controversy in 2008 when OU was ranked above us. People kept saying "these programs are almost the same so it's hard to tell which one is better". What the fuck? They played each other. The answer of which team is better was settled on the goddamn field. Then you see programs like Pedo State who beat Ohio State, win their division, make it the conference championship game and win, only to lose a playoff spot to an Ohio State team that didn't do any of those things. So damn stupid.

Well I have long been a proponent of an 8 team (or 16 for that matter, playoff). They do it in the lower divisions and the kids seem to survive. I won't claim the current system is perfect, but we haven't had a perfect system since I've been watching college football.  

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Just saw Sarah Fuller kickoff for vandy in the 2nd half. Yay for history I guess, but it looked like you would expect. But I guess 0-7 vandy needed some publicity

Yeah, really hope she gets a shot at XP or something as that's not what she wants to be known for.  Let her kick

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, really hope she gets a shot at XP or something as that's not what she wants to be known for.  Let her kick

The practice kicks I’ve seen from her are not good. Of course I don’t expect them to be considering she’s had all of about 2 days of practice. The girl that kicked at UNM was much better.

6 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

The practice kicks I’ve seen from her are not good. Of course I don’t expect them to be considering she’s had all of about 2 days of practice. The girl that kicked at UNM was much better.

I just can't believe there is not someone else on the team that could do better than that.

12 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I just can't believe there is not someone else on the team that could do better than that.

Surprising to say the least. I guess covid has wrecked the special teams depth chart? Idk... it took covid to have a female in a power 5 game on an 0-7 team.