The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

29 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Can you elaborate on this?   

-In my opinion- a truck is all about application, and you need what you need. All things being equal, more power is better I guess, but most of what a truck does across the board (light, medium, heavy etc) can be solved with torque and gearing. Engines these days have a ridiculous level of HP across the board, and at some point you have enough and it becomes a marketing bullet as opposed to a functional spec. Spinning tires is fun but isn’t really useful. 

I can live with all the rest, but the underpowered engine is a major issue relative to the Ranger, and I say that as someone who hates overpowered trucks. The Tacoma I drove just felt anemic, which is also at least partially related to the AT based on the numbers. On the other hand, if a Tacoma is solid enough to handle jt’s bullshit, I wonder if the OV tune can address the power/drivetrain issue. 

If I was in the market today, I’d lean Ranger. However, with kids in tow constantly, I’d go Tundra. The back seat is roomy and a big thing I didn’t mention is being able to easily tow a travel trailer. It’s just much more flexible than a Tacoma.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

-In my opinion- a truck is all about application, and you need what you need. All things being equal, more power is better I guess, but most of what a truck does across the board (light, medium, heavy etc) can be solved with torque and gearing. Engines these days have a ridiculous level of HP across the board, and at some point you have enough and it becomes a marketing bullet as opposed to a functional spec. Spinning tires is fun but isn’t really useful. 

Yeah, horsepower is about speed and it sometimes goes along with torque.  As in, you can't hardly have a normally aspirated gasoline engine with decent torque that doesn't have high hp.

But since you can get pretty stout low-end torque out of diesels and relatively small displacement forced-induction gasoline engines, there's little or no need for 4-5-600 hp trucks to do truck stuff.  

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As in, you can't hardly have a normally aspirated gasoline engine with decent torque that doesn't have high hp

Eh, subjective on what constitutes high but I disagree. My old F350 with a 460 in it has enough torque to pull your house over but not really anything to write home about hp wise.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

But since you can get pretty stout low-end torque out of diesels and relatively small displacement forced-induction gasoline engines, there's little or no need for 4-5-600 hp trucks to do truck stuff.  

Yeah I guess the kicker there is “horsepower”. But there are 1-tons on the market rated to tow 37k pounds (@400/1075), and contractors that expect them to do that. It’s not about burning tires or even towing that fully loaded amount. It’s about being able to more easily tow 20k once you leave south Texas for anything will elevation.  When you run the real #’s, even most people lugging around 5th wheels are overloaded with 250’s.  There’s also some trying to justify that 75k price tag.  Oh, and every 1/2 ton thinks they are capable of regularly towing 12k, gotta have power for that. 

58 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As in, you can't hardly have a normally aspirated gasoline engine with decent torque that doesn't have high hp

Eh, subjective on what constitutes high but I disagree. My old F350 with a 460 in it has enough torque to pull your house over but not really anything to write home about hp wise.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Well, "can't hardly" kind of creates the exception to the rule.  I see the 460 makes about 400 peak tq and 250 peak hp. That's pretty unusual. So yeah, that would be a bit of an exception.  I think a lot of big block V8s tended that way I guess because it's hard to get enough air in there at high rpm.

But, I don't think you can buy a big block V8 in anything anymore.

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I can live with all the rest, but the underpowered engine is a major issue relative to the Ranger, and I say that as someone who hates overpowered trucks. The Tacoma I drove just felt anemic, which is also at least partially related to the AT based on the numbers. On the other hand, if a Tacoma is solid enough to handle jt’s bullshit, I wonder if the OV tune can address the power/drivetrain issue. 

My electrician has a 2013 Taco with almost 400K on it. He put the TRD Supercharger on it as soon as it came out of warranty. The supercharger is actually built by https://www.magnusonsuperchargers.com/category-s/123.htm. For what it is, it's a rocketship. I think it's been in the shop once or twice, but that's about it. It's a manual as well, which is no longer available. Great truck.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

If I was in the market today, I’d lean Ranger. However, with kids in tow constantly, I’d go Tundra. The back seat is roomy and a big thing I didn’t mention is being able to easily tow a travel trailer. It’s just much more flexible than a Tacoma.

I’d rather go back to my F150, which was the shit. Why would you get a Tundra?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, "can't hardly" kind of creates the exception to the rule.  I see the 460 makes about 400 peak tq and 250 peak hp. That's pretty unusual. So yeah, that would be a bit of an exception.  I think a lot of big block V8s tended that way I guess because it's hard to get enough air in there at high rpm.

But, I don't think you can buy a big block V8 in anything anymore.

Well that's exactly it. Redline is just over 4k. But that's what I mean, it's not a rule that HP has to go high for torque, it's just a design choice.

Ford has new big block btw

16 hours ago, CHIEF said:

My electrician has a 2013 Taco with almost 400K on it. He put the TRD Supercharger on it as soon as it came out of warranty. The supercharger is actually built by https://www.magnusonsuperchargers.com/category-s/123.htm. For what it is, it's a rocketship. I think it's been in the shop once or twice, but that's about it. It's a manual as well, which is no longer available. Great truck.

2013 is a previous gen than the current and had the much better 4.0, that does not have the power issues of the newer 3.5. But yeah, the Turbo on the 4.0 makes it a race truck. Had a buddy with a factory Supercharger on his 2010.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

Anyone gotten one of the Broncos yet?

Nobody has a real Bronco yet. Ford and their suppliers have messed up the production but are finally getting it going. Maybe some out by end of month but most first reservations will be delivered starting July with full production slated for late August.  Many orders are being pushed to 2022 MY. Some people dumping their reservations and going with something else. It looks like a great SUV if you can get one. People are going to turn those first few thousand for a profit like the C8 Corvettes.

You can get a baby Bronco (off road Escape) which actually has some off road chops but looks like something you buy your teenage daughter to look cool cruising in the high school parking lot.

On 6/1/2021 at 9:57 AM, G650 said:

Well that's exactly it. Redline is just over 4k. But that's what I mean, it's not a rule that HP has to go high for torque, it's just a design choice.

Ford has new big block btw

Yeah, I saw that.   

My first car was a 455 Olds, which had the more typical torque within 25% or less of horsepower.  I didn't realize the "trucky" big blocks like the 460 and 454 had that pretty extreme spread.

But I think you'd have to agree that the more typical  and recent 5.xL V8 is of the pretty equal tq/hp variety.  That would tend to offer most of its advantage over the lower-end engine choices at "speed," i.e. "sports car" engines.  The new Ford big block fits that description, also.

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I saw that.   

My first car was a 455 Olds, which had the more typical torque within 25% or less of horsepower.  I didn't realize the "trucky" big blocks like the 460 and 454 had that pretty extreme spread.

But I think you'd have to agree that the more typical  and recent 5.xL V8 is of the pretty equal tq/hp variety.  That would tend to offer most of its advantage over the lower-end engine choices at "speed," i.e. "sports car" engines.  The new Ford big block fits that description, also.

My buddy in high school had a '72 Riviera with a 455 in it, what a hilariously ridiculous car. I loved that thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, G650 said:

My buddy in high school had a '72 Riviera with a 455 in it, what a hilariously ridiculous car. I loved that thing.

Mine was in a Delta 88.  It was only a 2BBL carb, so it made 365 hp pre-SAE.  The 4BBL version had a 10:1 compression ratio, required premium leaded, and made 415hp IIRC.  It also got gallons to the mile.  There were actually some differences between the Buick, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile 455s with the Oldsmobile actually probably being the best of them.

I could take stock Z28s of the day, early 80s in the kiddo 1/8th mile city block drag race.  The 79 T/A was a bit more of a challenge.  I think the 403 (actually a destroked version of the 455, I believe) in those had better, lower-end torque than the 350s in the Z28s.  We scoffed at Turbo T/As, and no one had one, but I think that was a mistake as those were actually pretty salty.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Nobody has a real Bronco yet. Ford and their suppliers have messed up the production but are finally getting it going. Maybe some out by end of month but most first reservations will be delivered starting July with full production slated for late August.  Many orders are being pushed to 2022 MY. Some people dumping their reservations and going with something else. It looks like a great SUV if you can get one. People are going to turn those first few thousand for a profit like the C8 Corvettes.

You can get a baby Bronco (off road Escape) which actually has some off road chops but looks like something you buy your teenage daughter to look cool cruising in the high school parking lot.

Interesting, I wouldn't be looking at buying until the beginning of next year, but sounds like they are way behind on fulfilling orders. Definitely want the full size and really like the Badlands.

50 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

Interesting, I wouldn't be looking at buying until the beginning of next year, but sounds like they are way behind on fulfilling orders. Definitely want the full size and really like the Badlands.

I saw one in the wild the other day and it was tiny.  I guess I didn’t realize they were making two sizes like they did way back when.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I saw one in the wild the other day and it was tiny.  I guess I didn’t realize they were making two sizes like they did way back when.

I've seen a few in the wild too. I didn't know that there were two sizes of it either, but the ones I've seen have been weirdly eye-catching. I'm not sure whether it's just because they're new and different looking, or if I like or dislike them, or what.

I'm not really a truck/trucklet guy, but they look just kind of "off" to me, like the oddball vehicles in a science fiction movie set not too far in the future. Kind of like how weird-but-familiar the Ford Taurus felt in RoboCop (or maybe I'm thinking of Demolition Man?) 

There's something just a little cheap-looking and strange to them in my eye though. Strong Nissan Figaro vibes... 

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I've seen a few in the wild too. I didn't know that there were two sizes of it either, but the ones I've seen have been weirdly eye-catching. I'm not sure whether it's just because they're new and different looking, or if I like or dislike them, or what.

I'm not really a truck/trucklet guy, but they look just kind of "off" to me, like the oddball vehicles in a science fiction movie set not too far in the future. Kind of like how weird-but-familiar the Ford Taurus felt in RoboCop (or maybe I'm thinking of Demolition Man?) 

There's something just a little cheap-looking and strange to them in my eye though. Strong Nissan Figaro vibes... 

I had a Bronco in college.  I have liked what I have seen online, but didn’t like what I saw in person.  Granted, it was a drive by that lasted a few seconds, but I agree with your assessment.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is a pickup truck

824460.jpg

This is a howl of wounded pride
6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d27b1d5b970c-pi

Yeah that Maverick looks ideal to tow my boat, camper, and my cattle to the sale barn.  Why not just get a 150 if you “need” a truck but don’t expect to do truck things?  I admittedly don’t understand the <1/2 ton market. It’s obv a popular one, but what are the advantages between that over a little 1/2-ton?   

eta: a unibody? So a crossover with a tiny bed?  

Edited by fattyflattie
Read it has a car frame.

I can understand someone who lives in the city and doesn't want to deal with the parking hassles of a 1/2 ton or even has the need for a Ranger. The price has to be right though. Ford is claiming a sub 20K starting price for the Maverick, which would put a well equipped XLT in the 25K range. That's a big diff from a 35-40K F150 XLT.

Honestly I don't know what else Ford is supposed to build. They killed the Fiesta, Fusion and Taurus because nobody was buying them. They already have 7 SUV's in their lineup. Might as well build a crossover-based mini truck and see if the people like it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah that Maverick looks ideal to tow my boat, camper, and my cattle to the sale barn.  Why not just get a 150 if you “need” a truck but don’t expect to do truck things?  I admittedly don’t understand the <1/2 ton market. It’s obv a popular one, but what are the advantages between that over a little 1/2-ton?   

eta: a unibody? So a crossover with a tiny bed?  

Pretty much. It's not for towing, but for moving shit around - bikes, mulch, plants, bikes, the occasional piece of furniture, gear, etc. 
It's basically a ute, which is what pickups were originally supposed to be, not a tractor for overweight people to commute  between exurbs.  

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's basically a ute,

Well sort of. Holden made sure your Ute could be optioned with 6.0 V8’s.   Fords take on a Subaru Baja, I guess.  I don’t know, it’ll sell I’m sure. People love Tacoma’s and rangers and hell even the old hardbodies sold.  I just don’t get it personally, which means fuck all as none of those cover what I need a truck to do. I’m not the market, just curious.  Just figured a much less optioned ranger would be more practical as a company. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I can understand someone who lives in the city and doesn't want to deal with the parking hassles of a 1/2 ton or even has the need for a Ranger. The price has to be right though. Ford is claiming a sub 20K starting price for the Maverick, which would put a well equipped XLT in the 25K range. That's a big diff from a 35-40K F150 XLT.

A Ranger is fine for my pickup uses in 2021, for the same reason a Supercrew F150 Work Truck was fine for my purposes in 2008. But a Maverick is something I would consider as well. 

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well sort of. Holden made sure your Ute could be optioned with 6.0 V8’s.   Fords take on a Subaru Baja, I guess.  I don’t know, it’ll sell I’m sure. People love Tacoma’s and rangers and hell even the old hardbodies sold.  I just don’t get it personally, which means fuck all as none of those cover what I need a truck to do. I’m not the market, just curious.  Just figured a much less optioned ranger would be more practical as a company. 

I would say that Aussie Utes were more the continuation of the El Camino or Ford Falcon than the Baja but completely agree otherwise.
You're actually in need of towing. probably most people who have a pickup for the bed don't tow anything ever. 

The first pickup was a model T with a bed. The Maverick is a return to that. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I would say that Aussie Utes were more the continuation of the El Camino or Ford Falcon than the Baja but completely agree otherwise.
You're actually in need of towing. probably most people who have a pickup for the bed don't tow anything ever. 

The first pickup was a model T with a bed. The Maverick is a return to that. 

Yeah I get it, I’m nowhere near their target.  Just curious as I've always thought of 150’s as “parts getters” and a “run about” type vehicle, especially once the Ranger took its hiatus.  I’m also spoiled that the hardest place I’ll ever park is in downtown Houston, which still has massive spots compared to Miami, NYC, etc.  It’s like anything else, once you’ve been in something for 15 years it doesn’t seem “big” anymore, just normal. 

The problem is these things are just as shitty to try and park.

People just need to get SUVs and use the back like they are supposed to. I haul firewood and building supplies in back of my X5 all the time. My bike basically rides full time back there as well as i ride most days. I was talking to my buddy the other day and we were laughing how he hauled mulch in the back of his Macan.

And you still can pull into a parking spot like a car.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hate all you want, but I’ve had a 2nd-gen Ridgeline for nearly three years and it’s pretty much exactly what I needed. Comfortable for family of four on long trips, engine feels strong (plus the VTEC kick on acceleration), trunk is incredibly handy, lined bed has handled loads of everything from dirt to decomposed granite to massive piles of scout troop gear with no issues, and I haul my kayaks and bikes around with it too. Gets decent gas mileage, and after nearly 50k miles it hasn’t had a single issue (although I’d think that’s expected these days). Almost bought a Taco, but after trying both, the Honda was much more comfortable for both driver and passenger - and the dealer gave me a great deal on it. Also, I’m too old to give a shit that it’s a unibody. 

Edited by sasquatch69

On 5/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, immamac said:

That's the quiet mode. Loud mode crackles and pops and snarls and the turbos dump boost so hard the pavement clears underneath. It's a fucking insane machine. 

I have a friend who is a mechanic at MB of Austin.  He bought his wife a used E63 wagon (not sure which year model, but got a good deal) and said he had to sell it six months later because she had two wrecks.  Couldn't handle the power.  That is a badass ride immamac.

19 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

I have a friend who is a mechanic at MB of Austin.  He bought his wife a used E63 wagon (not sure which year model, but got a good deal) and said he had to sell it six months later because she had two wrecks.  Couldn't handle the power.  That is a badass ride immamac.

That's weird because it's impossible to wreck if you have the safety systems turned on (curb rash is not as easily avoidable). It literally will not hit things and steers away from them or brakes without your input etc. - it must have been the previous generation without all the safety stuff. It's also completely tame if you leave it in comfort and don't drive in binary fashion with the accelerator (foot to the floor or off the gas completely). I am actually really surprised at how well behaved and docile it is in full comfort mode. I got the Acoustic Comfort Package and it's seriously dead silent inside the cabin in comfort mode unless you are doing a "passing pull" on the accelerator. Now...sport, sport+ and RACE mode are varying stages of insanity. RACE is full blown demon shit - the car is unrecognizable from comfort mode, doesn't steer the same, accelerate the same, feel the same on the road, sound the same. Completely different car just from a touch of a button. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

That's weird because it's impossible to wreck if you have the safety systems turned on (curb rash is not as easily avoidable). It literally will not hit things and steers away from them or brakes without your input etc. - it must have been the previous generation without all the safety stuff. It's also completely tame if you leave it in comfort and don't drive in binary fashion with the accelerator (foot to the floor or off the gas completely). I am actually really surprised at how well behaved and docile it is in full comfort mode. I got the Acoustic Comfort Package and it's seriously dead silent inside the cabin in comfort mode unless you are doing a "passing pull" on the accelerator. Now...sport, sport+ and RACE mode are varying stages of insanity. RACE is full blown demon shit - the car is unrecognizable from comfort mode, doesn't steer the same, accelerate the same, feel the same on the road, sound the same. Completely different car just from a touch of a button. 

I think it probably was the previous generation without all the safety systems.  Also, you may have missed the part where it was his wife driving it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

That's weird because it's impossible to wreck if you have the safety systems turned on (curb rash is not as easily avoidable). It literally will not hit things and steers away from them or brakes without your input etc. - it must have been the previous generation without all the safety stuff. 

All of the intrusive shit is fully defeatable though, correct? Will it stay off until turned back on, or do you have to turn it off every time you start the car? 

And what happened to @immamac_testes?

2 hours ago, Native Horn said:

The thing about the car is you just don't realize how fast you're going. Immamac had the speed limit alarm on for good reason. I was doing 60 in a 35 on a hilly/curvey road and it felt like I wasn't speeding. Which is completely unlike my FJ. If you're going close to the speed limit on a road like that you start to feel uncomfortable and slow down.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

The thing about the car is you just don't realize how fast you're going. Immamac had the speed limit alarm on for good reason. I was doing 60 in a 35 on a hilly/curvey road and it felt like I wasn't speeding. Which is completely unlike my FJ. If you're going close to the speed limit on a road like that you start to feel uncomfortable and slow down.

Speed alarms are definitely mandatory.