Ready Player One

TKthunder2

On 3/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, Duckman said:

The book is great - really hoping Spielberg doesn't F this one.

OK, finally had a chance to go see the movie and was pleasantly surprised.   As others have said it isn't exactly the book - no movies are but I get that, I'm sure licensing issues for all the items referenced in the book would be almost impossible to get.  My nephew who I went with and has never read the book enjoyed it so it looks like the rare movie that appeals to both purist and those going in with a clean slate.

Also glad I paid the extra $ for IMAX, this film deserves it.

Only disappointment - where were the Rush songs?   After Tom Sawyer was such a big part of the previews I was really waiting for it.  Oh well, if that is my biggest gripe I will call it a win.

Saw it over the weekend with the kids. We loved it, but as has been stated, it does diverge from the book in order to make the movie move along. Still, would have love to have seen them do the War Games homage instead of The Shining.

Finally saw it and I thought it was a lot of fun. It has been 5+ years since I read the book so I wasn't worried/caring about the divergences. I think they did a hell of a job making a fun movie. Based on the previews I was worried that it being so gfx heavy might annoy me but it all worked really well. 

I also read book about 5 years ago. Don't remember details, but do recall really enjoying the book.

Movie was meh. Saw it in 3D, which was cool I guess. But two+ hours long and it still felt rushed to me. They should have made it a trilogy with each key being a separate installment.

I thought it was a really fun movie, and probably better than the book because they didn't inundate you with 80s cultural references.

They made Wade and the gunters more realistic because they ditched some of the crazier "nerd" feats he did (reciting War Games line for line from memory in the first gate, casually playing a perfect game of pacman by beating all 250 something levels, etc), and toned down how pathetically obsessed he was with Artemis. 

One part I both liked and didn't like was where they had Artemis infiltrate IOI instead of Wade. I liked that they gave her some actual stuff to do and challenges to accomplish but I didn't like how it took away one of my favorite parts of the book from Wade and his character. His infiltration of IOI was the part of the book where I actually came around to liking Wade. I thought it was the part of the book where he really matured.

Edited by Viper

Finally saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it.  I was alright with the changes they made from the book to the movie, and as I expected, they actually cleaned up some of the clunky dialog and awkaward character development from the book, and made a smoother movie because of it.

It wasn't the same, as others have said it was more like a different story told from the same source material, but it was a lot of fun.  The kids loved it and I'll most likely take them back before it leaves the theater.

Edited by utee94

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw it this weekend with my 11 yo gamer son. The Atari 2600 graphics killed him. His best comment: it’s 2040 why are they using flip phones?  We both loved it 

anyone else feel like they were channeling vice principal Vernon with the IOI villain? 

• 6 months later...
Finally saw it this weekend with my 11 yo gamer son. The Atari 2600 graphics killed him. His best comment: it’s 2040 why are they using flip phones?  We both loved it 
anyone else feel like they were channeling vice principal Vernon with the IOI villain? 

giphy.gif

Yes! Haven’t seen it since the theaters. Time to go take another viewing.

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

It's disappointing compared to the book but still fun.

Some of us have commented earlier on this thread, it's really more like two different stories that originated from the same source material.  I liked them both, but they weren't really the same.

And honestly, the movie was able to streamline a lot of the awkward, clunky dialog and odd storytelling in the book.  It changed a lot of major plot lines, but it also smoothed it out.  I liked that about the movie.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Some of us have commented earlier on this thread, it's really more like two different stories that originated from the same source material.  I liked them both, but they weren't really the same.

And honestly, the movie was able to streamline a lot of the awkward, clunky dialog and odd storytelling in the book.  It changed a lot of major plot lines, but it also smoothed it out.  I liked that about the movie.

Yes. A faithful adaption of the book would have been a bad movie. A book version of the movie would probably be pretty bad too. As is, I enjoy both quite a bit. 

The race is still amazing every time I see it. I bought an atmos system a few years ago and the 4k blu-ray with atmos soundtrack is the best home theater experience I've had thus far. 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...