Black Lives Matter

Hugo Stiglitz

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.

Cop says "kill them all" in reference to BLM protesters? Gosh, he was just emotional.  Suspend him for a week.

Cop says that what happened to George Floyd was wrong, and criticizes the actions that have resulted in a murder charge against the cops?  YOU'RE FIRED.

The double-standard of American police could not be written any clearer.

So would it be okay for anyone in The Springs to wear a shirt that says “Fuck Wrede”? Faithful servant of the public that he is and all he shouldn’t have an issue with a shirt that says that.

So this is something that just happened. I do not speak with a police officer unless it is absolutely necessary, but I did this afternoon. I’m sitting in the park and an elderly man is doing his job and going around sweeping and picking up trash. He accidentally picks up what looked like trash that was on a ledge and proceeded to get accosted verbally by three white people. Among the things I heard this trio of white trash say to him were “You fucking faggot!” Do you speak English?!?!?!?!” They then asked him to write his name down so they could report him to his boss for throwing away their partially eaten burrito. He obliged and scribbles something down to get them to leave him alone. The most militant of the three yells out “I can’t read this! Did you write it in Arabic?!?!?!?!” This was among several other things said to him.

So one guy went and got a police officer. The guy working spoke only Spanish and appeared to be Dominican to me. I walk him over to the police so he can try and say what happened. I tell them exactly what was said. In a city with a zero tolerance policy for racist and homophobic slurs, none of the three got arrested. The two cops, both Hispanic, let them off with a warning and didn’t even bother to speak to the guy who called him that slur and accused him of writing in Arabic.

Once again white people say whatever the hell they want and get off with a mere warning. It wasn’t as though no one else heard it. Five other people told the same story. The trio of trash even demanded he apologize for throwing the burrito away. A black man gets that loud and says that stuff to a white person and I have no doubt he’s sitting in jail for a few days with several court hearings ahead for him.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

So this is something that just happened. I do not speak with a police officer unless it is absolutely necessary, but I did this afternoon. I’m sitting in the park and an elderly man is doing his job and going around sweeping and picking up trash. He accidentally picks up what looked like trash that was on a ledge and proceeded to get accosted verbally by three white people. Among the things I heard this trio of white trash say to him were “You fucking faggot!” Do you speak English?!?!?!?!” They then asked him to write his name down so they could report him to his boss for throwing away their partially eaten burrito. He obliged and scribbles something down to get them to leave him alone. The most militant of the three yells out “I can’t read this! Did you write it in Arabic?!?!?!?!” This was among several other things said to him.

So one guy went and got a police officer. The guy working spoke only Spanish and appeared to be Dominican to me. I walk him over to the police so he can try and say what happened. I tell them exactly what was said. In a city with a zero tolerance policy for racist and homophobic slurs, none of the three got arrested. The two cops, both Hispanic, let them off with a warning and didn’t even bother to speak to the guy who called him that slur and accused him of writing in Arabic.

Once again white people say whatever the hell they want and get off with a mere warning. It wasn’t as though no one else heard it. Five other people told the same story. The trio of trash even demanded he apologize for throwing the burrito away. A black man gets that loud and says that stuff to a white person and I have no doubt he’s sitting in jail for a few days with several court hearings ahead for him.

The "THERE IS NO SYSTEMIC RACISM" crowd says your story is FAKE NEWS.

It's upsetting and it happens every day every where. Thanks for coming to his aid. It's sad that you had to and it's sad it happened at all.

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

Being a shithead, racist, or an asshole isn't a crime.   What were you expecting?   

4 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Being a shithead, racist, or an asshole isn't a crime.   What were you expecting?   

Making racist and homophobic remarks are a crime here in NYC. You’re right that just being a run-of-the-mill asshole is not. This went way beyond that. I felt bad for the man. He attempted to speak to me, but I know less Spanish than a newborn from Norway. I didn’t have the translator app downloaded to understand him, but the gist of the look on his face showed disappointment in that nothing happened to those three. I gave him something to drink and then had to leave. I will probably see him again and I’ll make it a point to have the app downloaded so I can understand him next time I see him. 

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Yes. And the mayor/city manager/chief need to answer for that. I'm sure they have suspended for way worse.

It's pretty simple.

Threaten to murder all black people (that is, you constitute an actual threat to people you are sworn to protect) -- short suspension.

Speak out against the ACTUAL murder of a black person, thus presenting the OPPOSITE of a threat to people you are sworn to protect -- fired.

That's the calculus.  There's no secret, no magic.  That's the value of black lives to PDs in the US.  It's right there, in clear terms.  When law enforcement tells you who they are, believe them.

Edited by Brisketexan

5 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Is that today?

Yeah, apparently happened in the last couple of hours. 

What the fuck is wrong with cops?  Shit's going to start up all over again, just in time for Trump to ramble on for hours about this at the RNC.  Splendid.

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Yeah, apparently happened in the last couple of hours. 

What the fuck is wrong with cops?  Shit's going to start up all over again, just in time for Trump to ramble on for hours about this at the RNC.  Splendid.

Holy shit is right.  Buckle up everybody 

A video posted on social media shows a white Kenosha police officer shooting a black man as he gets into a vehicle on the city's north side at 40th St. and 28th Ave. early Sunday evening. 

The victim was flown to a Milwaukee hospital. A police department news release said the man was in serious condition.  

The incident set off a fury in the neighborhood and extra officers and Kenosha County Sheriff's deputies were called to the scene. 

The brief video clip shows two officers, at least one with his gun drawn, following the man around the front of a SUV as people are screaming in the background. As the man gets in on the driver's side, seven or eight gunshots ring out. An officer pushes a woman away from the vehicle. The clip ends.

It's not know if the man who was shot was armed. Neighbors said the man's children were present. 

The release said officers were called to the scene for a domestic incident. Stories at the scene varied--one said the man was trying to break up a fight.  

One witness said it appeared one of the officers had tried to 'taze' the man. 

Police cordoned off a large area of the street, then silently stood along the yellow tape while groups of people yelled at them.

One woman told a reporter, "The police are trigger happy. Black lives do matter and they need to understand that." 

As night fell, a much larger crowd gathered and started chanting. 

https://www.wgtd.org/news/video-kenosha-police-shoot-man-racial-tensions-inflamed

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

My thought is that letting him play was a bigger punishment.

image.thumb.png.3d3902bd3ebeb8f07f4a54f6624e5757.png

FWIW he apologized before the game so good on him.  But, if we wanna apply certain standards vigorously they need to be applied equally. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I don't understand the escalation. The man was walking around to the driver's side. Were I an officer, I might be concerned (in case there is a weapon in vehicle) but, no need to get that close to him then. They are grabbing his shirt, etc. If they are worried he's going to drive away, let him go, block the car whatever. Does everything need to end with bullets?

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't understand the escalation.

This is why you aren’t a cop. The first rule of being a cop is to shoot black people whenever you feel like it. The second rule is make sure if you unload six bullets in a black man execution- style that you end his life then and there. This fine upstanding cop just needs more time on the range to get his aim improved for his next attempted execution.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't understand the escalation. The man was walking around to the driver's side. Were I an officer, I might be concerned (in case there is a weapon in vehicle) but, no need to get that close to him then. They are grabbing his shirt, etc. If they are worried he's going to drive away, let him go, block the car whatever. Does everything need to end with bullets?

Just tase him like you would to any white guy doing the same shit. 

It's like they're addicted to their oppressive bullshit.  They can't stop no matter what the circumstances or how high the stakes.

I mean...it really is the only thing I can think of. They have a compulsion, an addiction. They KNOW it will blow up on them, but they can’t help it, just like an addict can’t help it.

That’s fucking insane.

Goddamn, we’re about to go through this shit all over again.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean...it really is the only thing I can think of. They have a compulsion, an addiction. They KNOW it will blow up on them, but they can’t help it, just like an addict can’t help it.

That’s fucking insane.

Goddamn, we’re about to go through this shit all over again.

Stuff is about to get really crazy. I am certain the protest and march I will be attending in DC on Friday will be a pretty livid one. There is no bottom to what cops will do. I am sure our LAW AND ORDER president will try and give this guy the Medal of Freedom for his brave and heroic behavior.

Saw the video of the officer toppling over.

Not to go full Brisket, but the reality is that peaceful society is perpetually on a knife's edge. We do a good job here of staying on the right side of things through various institutions and protections, but no society or nation is ever that far from collapse, and we have many comorbidities in terms of economic and social inequality.

I'm still not worried about the safety of officers overall. The veil hasn't been pierced yet, but as I referenced a few days ago (much the chagrin of certain posters), authority doesn't always win. Poor governance and oppression sometimes lead to violent, disorganized insurrection.

If the powers that be cannot get a muzzle on their enforcers, we may be headed down a road where that video of the cop seems tame by comparison.

Fuck... all this horrifying shit seems so easy to avoid. Seems so senseless and terrible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Saw the video of the officer toppling over.

Not to go full Brisket, but the reality is that peaceful society is perpetually on a knife's edge. We do a good job here of staying on the right side of things through various institutions and protections, but no society or nation is ever that far from collapse, and we have many comorbidities in terms of economic and social inequality.

I'm still not worried about the safety of officers overall. The veil hasn't been pierced yet, but as I referenced a few days ago (much the chagrin of certain posters), authority doesn't always win. Poor governance and oppression sometimes lead to violent, disorganized insurrection.

If the powers that be cannot get a muzzle on their enforcers, we may be headed down a road where that video of the cop seems tame by comparison.

Fuck... all this horrifying shit seems so easy to avoid. Seems so senseless and terrible.

No matter how much you attempt to reform police they are just incapable of being less violent. Brisket is right in what he said above. They are addicted to violence and causing pain to part of the population and they largely get away with the violence. 

I told another person on here about a book I read that has helped greatly in how I look at all of this.  It absolutely changed me as a human being. I will pm you about it if you want to know. 

9 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

but no society or nation is ever that far from collapse, and we have many comorbidities in terms of economic and social inequality.

This.  When all you do is stack dry tinder on top of dry tinder, and keep doing it for decades, not just absentmindedly but with passion and purpose....you're asking for a fire.

9 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Poor governance and oppression sometimes lead to violent, disorganized insurrection.

And this, X1000.

Do I WANT a violent insurrection?  For the hundredth time, NO.  What I WANT is for our government, our employees and agents - which is what every cop is -- to fucking get their goddamned shit together.  Because if they don't, violent insurrection is inevitable.  Stop doing this shit.  Stop excusing it.  Stop supporting it.  Stop protecting the culture that makes it inevitable.  Stop with ALL of that shit, because you're doing nothing but tossing lit match after lit match on that pile of tinder I mentioned above.  

Seriously, I feel like I'm standing next to a defiant child, tossing lit matches at a pile of dry tinder, and I'm hollering STOP over and over, and nobody seems to give a fuck.  And then, when the fire starts and rages out of control......we get 10,000 post threads on DT blaming the people standing in the fucking field, and not the fucking insane, irrational fucksticks who stacked the tinder and tossed the matches.

JUST FUCKING STOP.  Stop shooting people in the fucking back!  Is that too much to ask?  Is it really?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 cops standing directly over him and do not even attempt to restrain him and deescalate .  They all go straight for their guns, obviously that’s how they’re being trained.

Not even going into the horrific shooting , but If 3 grown men cannot restrain 1 guy who looks to weigh about 180, the entire organization needs to be revamped.

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Fuck that cop. This shit sickens me. How many communities must pay before these tiny dick motherfuckers stop playing judge, jury, and executioner?

All of us.  We are all going to have to pay.  Because this should be 100% clear to you by now: the police cannot and will not reform.  It is impossible.  It's like expecting an addict not to run out the door and try to score the first opportunity he has.  It's what they are.  It has consumed everything else they could possibly be.

Addiction wraps up in one of two ways: 1) rehab and recovery, or 2) death.

And the cops are resisting rehab and recovery with every fiber of their being.  Any of us with experience with addicts has watched this before -- they will fight to the death to continue their addiction, and we can only stand aside and watch them kill themselves.  The bonus here is that they're also going to kill a lot of us as they go down.  This is how the psychosis of addiction works.  There will be no difference here.  Buckle up, it only gets worse.

Watched the series “Waco” yesterday and couldn’t help but think about how Bill Barr was the AG during the increased militarization of the ATF/FBI just before Janet Reno came in and got much of the blame. This includes Ruby Ridge. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Watched the series “Waco” yesterday and couldn’t help but think about how Bill Barr was the AG during the increased militarization of the ATF/FBI just before Janet Reno came in and got much of the blame. This includes Ruby Ridge. 

The police in this country think and are equipped like they are a branch of the armed forces. What is required is a full rebuild of every police department from coast-to-coast. That would require everyone who is currently employed as an officer having to re-apply for their job. This would involve having to undergo training in non-violent actions in policing. That should be, at a minimum, a six month endeavor. It should be at least 10 hours a week of training that would be non-paid. If you really want the job you would have to do this. I would also have every officer across the country to have to pay to get a psych evaluation from a panel of at least seven psychologists and psychiatrists to determine the mental health of the person applying to become an officer. I also believe an in-depth screening of social media posts should be conducted to see what you have written and if you have things in your history that would be either racist or something that shows a tendency towards violence that should disqualify you from service. If you cannot sufficiently prove you are mentally capable of handling a weapon that can terminate someone's life you are denied the opportunity to be in law enforcement anywhere in this country. If you have a history of violent confrontation on your record already with the public you should be terminated and barred from ever joining another police department. You can look at the records that NYPD had to open up to the public and see what has been hidden just by that police department. A history of violence in law enforcement should also negate your ability to be employed in private security of any kind. PERIOD. END OF STORY. We also need, at a minimum, 40 percent of a police force to be staffed with psychologists, social workers and psychiatrists who can respond to non-violent calls. We do not need officers responding to calls who have an itchy trigger finger and are ready to just shoot from the hip. 

I am so tired of seeing OUR MONEY spent on officers who do what happened in Kenosha. They are on OUR DIME, not vice versa. If we are going to pay these people to protect and serve the public then it will be on our terms and that will not include them acting like they are a member of the armed forces. We are going to need some national leadership on this that we are not getting even if Biden wins. I think if you keep pushing and protesting for reforms though that eventually we can break through and get the bills written on actual national police reform. This is not going to be an easy fix nor a quick one. I think the young generation of folks protesting right now get this and will play the long game just like the African-Americans from the Civil Rights Movement did in the 1950's and 60's. They just kept pushing until they got what they asked for written into law. There is a lesson to be learned from their persistence. While it did not completely change everyone's opinion they at least had laws on the books that they could point to that they never had before.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I just saw this. I think he articulated perfectly so much of what is wrong with this country. Those words he spoke are going to get more coaches and athletes to be even more forceful in what they say and what they do. That was some raw emotion that we as a country need to hear. Every damned one of us who do not know and will never know that kind of fear of the police we need to hear his words and have it drilled into our heads over and over. If you are still sitting on the sidelines shame on you for not giving a damn about your fellow Americans. If you aren’t helping you are absolutely part of the problem.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:15 PM, DigDug said:

Holy shit, that’s an execution.  Fuck man

Of course @GRHorn just skips by this but has comments on an nba player trash talking.  Pathetic 

also, want to fix riots, how about POLICE STOP SHOOTING PEOPLE.  DefundFix/correct whatever term you want to use fine, but THEY are the reasons there are riots.  Or maybe people could peacefully protest police violence and it would help...

OH, WAIT.  you pieces of shit refuse to allow that either.  

6b1c619be8b23a102b3cd1b7967289e5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Republicans are acting like it’s the protests and violence that are what’s “alienating” them after BLM and it’s supporters have finally hit their breaking point after four years of BLM in particular and decades of police abuse against Black Americans.

Flashback to 2016 - Republicans cry and holler and pretend to boycott the NFL because Colin Kaepernick kneels for the first time and BLM is born.

Y’all snowflaky fraidycat racists lost your tiny minds over a Black man respectfully kneeling but now it’s the protests??

The rest of us aren’t as stupid as Republicans are so y’all need to do some more message workshopping.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

I don't personally care if players want to kneel during the Anthem, but it occurred to me that the players could very easily all kneel together before, after, or both before and after the anthem and it would still send a message without giving idiots something to complain about.  It would be impossible not to acknowledge the movement, because there would be a noticeable delay for the coin toss and/or the anthem as all the players kneel.  It will always be done during the Anthem though, because the controversy and drama brings in clicks and keeps the discussion bumped.  That's just the truth.

6 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

Of course @GRHorn just skips by this but has comments on an nba player trash talking.  Pathetic 

also, want to fix riots, how about POLICE STOP SHOOTING PEOPLE.  DefundFix/correct whatever term you want to use fine, but THEY are the reasons there are riots.  Or maybe people could peacefully protest police violence and it would help...

I’m against police brutality in all forms. Not a fan of the cops in general honestly. The above looks really bad. I could’ve posted that, but everyone pretty much had that covered. I doubt that many people thought the cop did a good job. 

For the hundredth time, if I don’t post about something don’t assume you know how I feel about it. May just mean I have nothing to add, missed something, or havent been by the forum in a while. 

• Fuck You 1