Black Lives Matter

Hugo Stiglitz

While I appreciate the sentiment of outing the dickholes, the fact that I won’t do it illustrates perfectly the difference in what men and women feel comfortable with online.

I don’t do that because it invites further, more aggressive harassment.

One of the messages implied they found my real life info on Facebook by “using clues from your posts here”.

Now, I have no idea if that’s a bluff or a real threat but that shit is scary as hell. No fucking way I press my luck on that.

And a couple of the names that sent messages were hiding behind sock accounts or they’re creepy lurkers because I had no idea who they are and have no history with them in my time posting here.

One particular asshole is very incensed that “a bitch who has no connection to Texas has one of the highest rep counts on this board”.

I felt very singled out when all that happened. I felt the safest choice was to disengage from it and let it blow over. I am glad some of y’all are now seeing what I have seen.

Not gonna lie, I was seriously starting to feel a little crazy and gaslighted (gaslit?).

Most of y’all are good eggs. The rotten eggs can fuck off - I refuse to give their behavior any more oxygen.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

While I appreciate the sentiment of outing the dickholes, the fact that I won’t do it illustrates perfectly the difference in what men and women feel comfortable with online.

One of the messages implied they found my real life info on Facebook by “using clues from your posts here”.

Now, I have no idea if that’s a bluff or a real threat but that shit is scary as hell. No fucking way I press my luck on that.

And a couple of the names that sent messages were hiding behind sock accounts or they’re creepy lurkers because I had no idea who they are and have no history with them in my time posting here.

One particular asshole is very incensed that “a bitch who has no connection to Texas has one of the highest rep counts on this board”.

I felt very singled out when all that happened. I felt the safest choice was to disengage from it and let it blow over. I am glad some of y’all are now seeing what I have seen.

Not gonna lie, I was seriously starting to feel a little crazy and gaslighted (gaslit?).

Most of y’all are good eggs. The rotten eggs can fuck off - I refuse to give their behavior any more oxygen.

I can see your reasons for just moving on. Sorry you have to deal with that. There’s some very strong disagreements on here, but threatening people is out of bounds. Pathetic behavior. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

lol at BT and I using the same phrasing about online crazies.

Now we’re going to be accused of being the same person.

BT being a Bama Chick sock, or vice versa, would be an interesting turn of events. 

Edited by Anastasis

12 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I've gotten threatening PMs here too. I don't post the screen caps because I just assume they needed an outlet at the time for whatever was wrong in their life.  Or were just lit up, and well I know that feelz.  

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I've had people send letters to my firm with printouts from my posts at Shag. Not about to give that shit real oxygen.

I am sure that is comes as a complete surprise to your partners that you are an argumentative asshole with a flourish for words and rhetoric. 

Seriously, that is really fucked up too. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Johnny sack is over in the DT board railing against black people and saying shooting of unarmed black people is a ok with him. He’s basically the tucker Carlson of this board. 

It’s hard to believe that there are actually people as shitty as him but then again, Donald Trump is the president somehow so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, softlynow said:

Do some criminal defense. You'll stop asking that question in about 6 months. The answer is: a lot.

I learned that lesson just working retail. Obvs not as deep and dark as what you probably have seen.  But I certainly learned about craziness and hate.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 2

Back on track--so we have no sports tonight?

If the athletes were serious about keeping this general strike going for a couple months (i.e., into NFL season), Congress would be forced to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act in short order.  That would bring about real change, including the elimination of qualified immunity.

53 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Back on track--so we have no sports tonight?

If the athletes were serious about keeping this general strike going for a couple months (i.e., into NFL season), Congress would be forced to pass the George Floyd Justice in Policing Act in short order.  That would bring about real change, including the elimination of qualified immunity.

Would love to see it happen even if it led to a veto that couldn’t be overridden.  I don’t know how it gets out of committee in Senate though.  

I don't understand why everyone isn't behind the ending of no-knock warrants. I can understand that it can, in theory, save the lives of police officers but they're proving that they are killing innocent citizens because of this policy. We shouldn't put citizens at risk just because it makes the police's job easier.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't understand why everyone isn't behind the ending of no-knock warrants. I can understand that it can, in theory, save the lives of police officers but they're proving that they are killing innocent citizens because of this policy. We shouldn't put citizens at risk just because it makes the police's job easier.

I chuckled when Trump said something along the lines of "police leave the house knowing they put our lives ahead of their own."  Cops shoot first and fall back on "fear for my life" in every fucking situation.  Stopping no knock warrants and lots of other interactions where cops can use that excuse to execute people is probably the path forward on police reform.  Arrests for non-violent crime should not lead to a situation where a cop fears for his life and kills someone.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, leaf said:

Just don't criticize China because that might hurt him financially.

I think it's fair to criticize players for their silence on China. However that doesn't invalidate their stance on US policies nor does it make them hypocrites. I think LeBron is financially hurt by his comments and criticism on US issues. He could be quiet on the issues and financially benefit more.  He chooses otherwise.

I think the justification for no-knock warrants, generally, and for a specific warrant is the possibility that the suspect will destroy evidence or flee if "notified," rather than arm up.

I think the empirical evidence is that no-knock warrants increase the danger for everyone involved and whatever benefit they offer is far outweighed by the danger.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think the justification for no-knock warrants, generally, and for a specific warrant is the possibility that the suspect will destroy evidence or flee if "notified," rather than arm up.

I think the empirical evidence is that no-knock warrants increase the danger for everyone involved and whatever benefit they offer is far outweighed by the danger.

That's generally right.  I know it may shock some of us, but some criminals are actually smart.  They will keep the highly incriminating evidence in such a way that it can be easily destroyed (e.g., a safe that doubles as an incinerator in an emergency).  If they push a button, then the evidence goes up in flames.  In that circumstances, a no-knock warrant might be proper.

But those circumstances are exceedingly rare.  And even when they exist, there are often alternatives (e.g., execute the warrant while the occupants are away).

No-knock warrants, therefore, are waaaay overused.  Cops use them (and judges issue them) in circumstances in which the cops say "yeah--there might be someone dangerous in the building."  That's ridiculous.

They are so overused, and the circumstances in which they are appropriate so rare, that I think I'm ok throwing out this particular baby with the bathwater.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I agree that evidence could be destroyed or a suspect could get away but so what. We also don't allow police to beat a confession from a suspect. I'm sure that legally allowing a few smacks will make their job easier too.

I can see a potential need for rare no-knock warrants but the bar should be ridiculously high. Not some BS where a confidential "source" tells the police the people inside are armed like in the Houston case. There are estimates that no-knock use has grown 30x over the past 40 years.

While I would never want it to happen, I think the resident should be legally allowed to defend against anyone, including police, that break into their house. A warrant or criminal activity inside should not invalidate that right. In my view, a no-knock warrant is breaking into the house. The resident isn't given any notification that a warrant is in effect.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So, tell me....who has a problem with that platform?  What's overreaching, or "anti-police" in there?

Because that's literally what 99% of the people who are pissed off about police bullshittery want.

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I agree that evidence could be destroyed or a suspect could get away but so what. We also don't allow police to beat a confession from a suspect. I'm sure that legally allowing a few smacks will make their job easier too.

I can see a potential need for rare no-knock warrants but the bar should be ridiculously high. Not some BS where a confidential "source" tells the police the people inside are armed like in the Houston case. There are estimates that no-knock use has grown 30x over the past 40 years.

While I would never want it to happen, I think the resident should be legally allowed to defend against anyone, including police, that break into their house. A warrant or criminal activity inside should not invalidate that right. In my view, a no-knock warrant is breaking into the house. The resident isn't given any notification that a warrant is in effect.

The first bar should be "is everyone in that house and/or all the cops participating dying worth this warrant?"

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

The first bar should be "is everyone in that house and/or all the cops participating dying worth this warrant?"

Do you even "an informant said there's a bag of weed in there," bro?

HPD version: do you even "a non-existent informant said there's a bag of weed in there," bro?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, tell me....who has a problem with that platform?  What's overreaching, or "anti-police" in there?

Because that's literally what 99% of the people who are pissed off about police bullshittery want.

The "problem" is that it doesn't reflexively knuckle under to law enforcement like the people who don't agree with it want. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, HenryJames said:

That is so solid. The words are perfect. What's dragging my heart down is the emotion of this man who chose to be in the US and that is reflected in so many other people I've seen on media. Anger subdued by dejection. 

I can't imagine any group being as patient as the Black American. Their primary cause is to get people they imagine to be basically decent (basically the same as themselves) to recognize a glaringly self-evident truth. They feel like they get close, then it's back to the drawing board. 

The GOP convention has got to make that angry dejection even worse. We've watched two police videos. In one, a man is slowly asphixiated on the pavement. In the other, a man is shot 7 times in the back at point blank range. On TV, the president and a huge number of white people get all teary eyed about what a bad deal law enforcement is getting in all of this. "One day they're spit on, the next day they save a child's life." 

The president and his scared white followers describe demonstrations as anarchy, looting, rioting, and general lawlessness. 

"Our lives matter, too."

That terrifying motto offends some of the people confident that they won't be murdered by police. That movement threatens to destroy the entire country. Those people are all represented by the worst actors among them while our people dismiss the actions of worst actors as exceptions.

All of this turmoil, deception, fear mongering, oppression is over a self-evident truth that black citizens are treated differently where they should not be. They are killed by the government in instances where a white person would not be. 

It's crazy. It's sad. It's a national shame. It should be easiest thing in the world for a free, largely Christian society to correct.

Treat others as you would have them treat you. All men are created equal. Everywhere those words are carved should be grinded smooth and replaed with Land of the Phony.

Such are the hazzards of having a just cause in Malign Idiot World. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, wildcat09 said:

After Charlottesville, conservatives pretended to be shocked. Now they're not even bothering to pretend. Now they're enthusiastically cheering on the murder of their political opponents.

If he loses the election, Trump will issue a call to arms and some of his supporters will answer it. And when they do, police will stand down or help them.

This past year, as I've mentioned before, I have thoughts that I would have never expected as an American.

Where does the Army stand in all of this?

Last night was the visual culmination of the Banana Republic States of America. Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night.

The March on Washington was a great experience today. I took some pictures I will post later. The only two that were hard to listen to are Tom Perez (A voice that drones on should probably never speak at something that size) and Sheila Jackson Lee’s stream of consciousness speech was all over the place. Really cannot understand why those two spoke today. The rest were really good though.

Edited by UpperWestside

More the more things change...SMH

https://www.archives.gov/legislative/features/march-on-washington/heads-up.html

"March On Washington Commanded by Communist," Heads Up No. 2

Some opponents of the March considered it the first step towards a communist coup. This article from the popular San Diego, CA newsletter Heads Up, was typical for the times in its fiery anti-March, anti-communist rhetoric. The article notes March Deputy Organizer Bayard Rustin’s attendance at the 1957 American Communist Party Convention, his pacifism during WWII, and, indirectly, his homosexuality. The article concludes with direct accusations against Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. for his association with Bayard and with other suspected communists, who were supposedly using him to further the aims of Chairman Nikita Khruschev of the Soviet Union. This document comes from the House Un-American Activities Committee’s extensive files on suspected communist sympathizers and spies.

GRHorn definitely is an avid Heads Up reader.  

Edited by Ted Lange
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I know there are people here who hate Pete Carroll. I never have. He has been around some people who have some nutty views, but I have always thought he actually cares about the players he coaches and society in general going back to what he used to do in the community in LA. This is worth listening to.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 8:56 AM, Bama Chick said:

Y’all be careful criticizing the way the mods run the DT - the mods will move your comments to the “help” board and remove all context from your comments and encourage the DT psychos to shit talk and neg you.

Y’all probably won’t get gross threatening DMs because you’re dudes but you never know.

You can report DMs. If you or anyone else is threatened in DMs that is an immediate ban. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://religionnews.com/2020/08/29/christian-fund-raising-site-has-earned-nearly-200000-for-alleged-kenosha-shooter-kyle-rittenhouse/

Other crowdsourcing fund raising platforms have pulled every campaign for this kid, so.....

A "Christian" (note: emphasis mine)  fundraising site, Give Send Go, has earned more than $192,000 of it's $200,000 goal for the alleged Kenosha shooting suspect Kyle Rittenhouse as of Saturday evening (August 29).

A scrolling ticker on the website shows who has recently donated to trending campaigns, many of whom are supporting the Rittenhouse fundraiser. 

The Give Send Go campaign for Rittenhouse, titled "Raise money for Kyle Rittenhouse Legal Defense," has a short description of how the funds will be used. 

"Kyle Rittenhouse just defended himself from a brutal attack by multiple members of the far-leftist group ANTIFA – the experience was undoubtedly a brutal one, as he was forced to take two lives to defend his own," reads the campaign page. "Now, Kyle is being unfairly charged with murder 1, by a DA who seems determined only to capitalize on the political angle of the situation. The situation was clearly self-defense, and Kyle and his family will undoubtedly need money to pay for the legal fees."

The site, similar to GoFundMe, describes itself as the "#1 free Christian crowdfunding site," and has categories for campaigns that include "Mission," "Medical," "Memorial," and "Church," among others. 

"Outside the obvious funding for mission trips, GSG also can be used to raise funds for medical expenses, business ventures, personal needs, churches, nonprofits, ministries or any 'God Adventure' you embark on," reads the FAQ page of the website. Give Send Go promises to give back 10% of its donations each month to other active campaigns on the site.

The Rittenhouse campaign was trending on the site Saturday, alongside campaigns for a woman in need of medical equipment for diabetes and a classical Catholic academy working to reopen religious schools in a Wisconsin county.

In one tweet, Give Send Go, said they are "the only platform that has allowed a campaign for Kyle Rittenhouse." In another, they describe themselves as a "veteran owned platform that hasn't fallen into the censorship/cancel culture that we see today."

And it's still up:

https://www.givesendgo.com/campaigns

https://www.givesendgo.com/GUCZ

Edited by Francisco 2.0

On 8/27/2020 at 9:14 AM, wildcat09 said:

After Charlottesville, conservatives pretended to be shocked. Now they're not even bothering to pretend. Now they're enthusiastically cheering on the murder of their political opponents.

If he loses the election, Trump will issue a call to arms and some of his supporters will answer it. And when they do, police will stand down or help them.

While Coulter's comment is utter bullshit and bizarre, there's about zero evidence of political motivation in the Rittenhouse incident.  The victims seem to be some sort of ne'erdowell  mayhem junkies and Rittenhouse some kind of teen with a hero/martyr complex.

• Hook 'Em 1