Jump to content
justhookit

COVID-19 2nd wave - Texas only (no politics)

Recommended Posts

TABC is going to have to shutdown just about every bar in the State then.  I haven't heard of many that are following the protocols.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abbott has brought up enforcement multiple times.  So more businesses going to be shut down by the state?  It's very vague.  TABC, crystal clear.  But Walmart in BFT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First question is taking a shot at Abbott's limp wrist approach to mask wearing and public safety. Comparing not requiring masks to when we weren't required to wear seatbelts and could drink a beer while driving. Abbott replying with "every county/city is different and has different needs for mask requirements"

Yikes. This should be a no-brainer to require masks. They're a protective measure, not a treatment for fucks sake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevwun said:

TABC is going to have to shutdown just about every bar in the State then.  I haven't heard of many that are following the protocols.

Who the fuck is going to bars right now? I'd have to imagine it's mostly early 20's types that don't give a shit? I mean even your average 48 year old divorced, bald, fat, miserable alcoholic should be able to just drink at home at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That seems like it's likely the biggest factor in lower mortality rates of this round of infection -- the people catching it (at a higher rate than anyone was before) are the age group that is less likely to die.

But problems remain with 1) a large number of them still requiring hospitalization, 2) we don't know the long-term negative health effects from these infections, and 3) every infected person is another vector for more infection.

This is my suspicion. We’ve heard a lot about this latest wave being less fatal. But that could be driven entirely by the age profile. The difference in IFR between 65 and 35 is huge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

TABC is going to have to shutdown just about every bar in the State then.  I haven't heard of many that are following the protocols.

A bunch here are starting to close on their own. I suspect that will begin happening in other places too. IMO that will help a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Abbott saying masks are the most effective way to lower covid, but wants to leave it completely up to counties.  Keeps holding out that if people don't do it, he will have to close businesses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That seems like it's likely the biggest factor in lower mortality rates of this round of infection -- the people catching it (at a higher rate than anyone was before) are the age group that is less likely to die.

But problems remain with 1) a large number of them still requiring hospitalization, 2) we don't know the long-term negative health effects from these infections, and 3) every infected person is another vector for more infection.

your 3) is the big problem.

but I don’t think we are far enough along in this spike to conclude much about hospitalizations and definitely not deaths.the next 2 weeks will be telling which is a phrase we keep repeating. And I am afraid will continue to do so for many more months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Our biggest problem is that no one in charge will act proactively.  We're blindly groping forwards stepping on one landmine after another.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Who the fuck is going to bars right now? I'd have to imagine it's mostly early 20's types that don't give a shit? I mean even your average 48 year old divorced, bald, fat, miserable alcoholic should be able to just drink at home at this point. 

[Raises hand.] I’ve been to Woodrow’s on Burnet a couple times. They take temperatures before allowing you in, and I wear a mask to and from my table, sitting only at an outdoor table at least six feet from everybody. I’m 45 years old and divorced, but not far, bald, or an alcoholic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our polling places are gonna be a fucking shitshow next month.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Viper said:

He's not, tabc is shutting down bars, but he's leaving it to cities to make and enforce masks because not every city is a hot spot

He's tap dancing like a mother fucker. He was preventing cities from enforcing masks just a week ago. Now it's, "I am leaving it up to cities."

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, it's like he almost, kinda, maybe took a stand. 

I see what you did there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Who the fuck is going to bars right now? I'd have to imagine it's mostly early 20's types that don't give a shit? I mean even your average 48 year old divorced, bald, fat, miserable alcoholic should be able to just drink at home at this point. 


How is “bar” defined in Texas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, justhookit said:

but I don’t think we are far enough along in this spike to conclude much about hospitalizations and definitely not deaths.the next 2 weeks will be telling which is a phrase we keep repeating. And I am afraid will continue to do so for many more months.

Yep.  We are seeing a massive spike, but we've lost the mentality we had 6 weeks ago.

This just feels we were up by 4 touchdowns at the half, but even though the other team just scored 14 on us in the first few minutes of the third quarter, we are still going to try and run the clock out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, F250 said:

He's tap dancing like a mother fucker. He was preventing cities from enforcing masks just a week ago. Now it's, "I am leaving it up to cities."

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

yeah, he had a line in there where he talked about the latest medical studies showing that masks are effective at preventing the spread. In April and early May there were still mixed results from the scientific literature, so it seems like he's reversed course. He also mentioned that cases and hospitalizations were so low in May that he didn't feel the need to have stricter rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No one discovered that masks help slow the spread of respiratory viruses because of Covid.  That has been known for decades.  He is crawfishing.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

 


How is “bar” defined in Texas?

 

Something to be kilt when you're only three.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  We are seeing a massive spike, but we've lost the mentality we had 6 weeks ago.

This just feels we were up by 4 touchdowns at the half, but even though the other team just scored 14 on us in the first few minutes of the third quarter, we are still going to try and run the clock out.

we may have been "up 4 touchdowns" but we were playing our 11 best starters both ways. At some point (businesses and the economy) were going to start failing even more rapidly if some opening up wasn't done. People had that mentality because of fear so much was unknown about the virus. That mentality was not going to stay forever as deaths continued to stay low. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep.  We are seeing a massive spike, but we've lost the mentality we had 6 weeks ago.

This just feels we were up by 4 touchdowns at the half, but even though the other team just scored 14 on us in the first few minutes of the third quarter, we are still going to try and run the clock out.

So we are playing OU. Gotcha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Our polling places are gonna be a fucking shitshow next month.  

And that's after the July 4th spike, which could easily feed said voting booth covid spike.  And hell, we have some runoffs or something this month. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

O/U on date Texas shuts down?

Something like 3rd to 4th week of July feels about right. 

3rd week of July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Viper said:

we may have been "up 4 touchdowns" but we were playing our 11 best starters both ways. At some point (businesses and the economy) were going to start failing even more rapidly if some opening up wasn't done. People had that mentality because of fear so much was unknown about the virus. That mentality was not going to stay forever as deaths continued to stay low. 

He was trying to instill some fear in people that if they don't mask up, we might have to sorta kinda maybe possibly shut down again.

I get why he refuses to do the mask thing, but he could have easily said "Look, mask up now, or we will be closing down next month."

Getting all fucking wishy washy and how closure is a last resort, and our hospitals are still great does not send a good message during a pandemic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

 


How is “bar” defined in Texas?

 

Sometimes you eat him, and sometimes, well, he eats you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bevo said:

We aren't shutting down again.

If people would stop being contrarian morons and just wear masks in public, we wouldn’t have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

If people would stop being contrarian morons and just wear masks in public, we wouldn’t have to.

Just what a George Soros commie libtard would say, trying to trick us out of our sacred freedoms.  Seriously....how such a simple thing became a political issue just utterly baffles me.

It's a well-known, century-old method of reducing transmission.  It's the decent thing to do.  It will help us operate and keep our economy going.  But a shitload of people oppose it violently because....I really don't even understand.

Edited by Brisketexan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Viper said:

yeah, he had a line in there where he talked about the latest medical studies showing that masks are effective at preventing the spread. In April and early May there were still mixed results from the scientific literature, so it seems like he's reversed course. He also mentioned that cases and hospitalizations were so low in May that he didn't feel the need to have stricter rules.

He never reversed course. Judge Wolff said he would enforce masks in Bexar county last week and dared Abbott to stop it. This was as things were spiking so Abbott said, "yeah, this was my intention the whole time." But the Texas AG was just sending letters to city and county officials telling them they couldn't enforce masks.

About was challenged to a game of chicken and as soon as he blinked other counties followed Bexar county's lead. This should have been the case months ago when the counties were trying to establish local preventive measures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

If people would stop being contrarian morons and just wear masks in public, we wouldn’t have to.

There have been plenty of morons on this site. There have been plenty of morons in my practice. I have seen plenty of morons on the streets. Welcome to 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yep.  We are seeing a massive spike, but we've lost the mentality we had 6 weeks ago.
This just feels we were up by 4 touchdowns at the half, but even though the other team just scored 14 on us in the first few minutes of the third quarter, we are still going to try and run the clock out.
I feel attacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

We aren't shutting down again.

If we continue climbing at the rate we are, we are going to be going back to some kind of mix of what we had in April.  We might be going back to 25%, which will mean many will close, rather than pay their staff for very little work.

Reporters were calling Abbott out on the numbers two months ago, last month and today.  The ball is in his court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he was setting the stage for increasing enforcement of existing rules. Stated that closing businesses would be the last resort implying there are other “things” that would be tried first. 
 

Wear those masks yo 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ellellelle said:
25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:
Yep.  We are seeing a massive spike, but we've lost the mentality we had 6 weeks ago.
This just feels we were up by 4 touchdowns at the half, but even though the other team just scored 14 on us in the first few minutes of the third quarter, we are still going to try and run the clock out.

I feel attacked.

Greg and Mack are in other states, so you're safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NAVY said:

I think he was setting the stage for increasing enforcement of existing rules. Stated that closing businesses would be the last resort implying there are other “things” that would be tried first. 
Wear those masks yo 

I picked on Walmart, when they apparently have a nationwide, or at least statewide mask requirements now, but yeah, if the state closes enough businesses, it will hopefully force the others to comply.

This is so infuriating - it's a fucking piece of cloth on your face, that improves the looks of half the people wearing them.  We wear them for another few months or whatever, and we don't have to get stupid and see even more businesses go under and people laid off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White House committed to another stimulus round, details to be revealed in next few weeks, said it will be bipartisan.  No idea if there will be actual checks for individuals or if this is about businesses having problems.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can’t wait to get my devalued stimulus dollars

Edited by NAVY
Original post was too cloak-y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Obviously Abbott is going to get talked about some on this thread, but for the love of god can we leave Trump and national policy out of this?

Edited by justhookit
Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Begging people to do the smart thing is a great plan.  As my dad has told me hundreds of times, wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first.

Brother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Abbott is willing to order another shutdown, he should be willing to order masks to prevent another shutdown. 
it makes no sense to me that he would let localities decide on masks all the way until it’s too late and then he orders a shutdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If Abbott is willing to order another shutdown, he should be willing to order masks to prevent another shutdown. 
it makes no sense to me that he would let localities decide on masks all the way until it’s too late and then he orders a shutdown. 

The mask thing is just full retard at this point. We know it, he knows it, everyone except Frank the angry guy on Facebook knows it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

There are 254 counties in Texas and 1,216 incorporated cities, so we're relying on 1,470 different governing bodies to devise and implement their own Covid response.  There's one person who could require everyone in the State to wear a mask in public with a simple executive order and it would help slow the spread and save lives.

Edited by kevwun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

^^^ no...that's just what they'll be expecting us to do...^^^

 

Edited by Lobo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'd like to think in this new era of "extreme wokeness" that making fun of handicapped people would surely be outside the lines of acceptable. 

But nope, here we are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Obviously Abbott is going to get talked about some on this thread, but for the love of god can we leave Trump and national policy out of this?

This. Sure would be nice to have just one place where we could have some good discussion of the virus, trends, what science is learning about it, etc. without politics or thinly-veiled political drive-bys with the same 3-4 talking points from the same 5-8 posters who spam the same shit on every thread.

We had it for awhile when those 5-8 posters were distracted by the Minneapolis riots but apparently the CHAZ isn't enough to keep them from ruining all of the Covid threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, stone oak said:

You'd like to think in this new era of "extreme wokeness" that making fun of handicapped people would surely be outside the lines of acceptable. 

But nope, here we are.

Are you new here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...