Jump to content
Mileslong

Six Flags 1965

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Tom said:

 

I'm assuming this was the cave ride before it became Looney Tunes themed with Bugs Bunny hunting Yosemite Sam?  If so, you're older than I took you for from your posts.  It's been Looney Tunes themed as long as I can remember, and I'm close to 40.

Soon you’ll be a man. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Out of all the roller coasters i ever rode, I think The Rattler in San Antonio was the best. What was the name of the park?

 

Siesta Texas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

 

I think it was SF that once on Halloween, just about sundown, employees dressed as zombies started wandering around in the crowds. At first it was just one or two, then more and more starting showing up.

 

Out of all the roller coasters i ever rode, I think The Rattler in San Antonio was the best. What was the name of the park?

 

Six flags fiesta Texas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first time I went was ~1965 as a kid. I remember getting one of those sweet straw hats with a little fake alligator on it.

Wish I could find a pic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tom said:

 

I'm assuming this was the cave ride before it became Looney Tunes themed with Bugs Bunny hunting Yosemite Sam?  If so, you're older than I took you for from your posts.  It's been Looney Tunes themed as long as I can remember, and I'm close to 40.

Yes Speelunker's Cave become Yosemite Sam in 1991-1992 so like you I only grew up with Yosemite Sam (which closed in 2018). A lot of the SFoT die hards are still upset with the change or at least they were in the early 2000s when I was obsessed with theme parks.

 

Here is a neat little site dedicated to former attractions.

https://guidetosfot.com/features/rideretrospective/

Edited by SimonBolivar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thinking the wife and I might make a visit next month.  Is the flash pass worth it?  Pro tips? Parking? etc..

Edited by Bevo&Pevo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2020 at 9:39 AM, nnm said:

The summer after 7th grade, I took a trip with a bunch of NM kids.  We went to Six Flags.  We were favorably impressed by the Texas girls.  I had a go-to move.  I'd walk up to one, ask what time it was, and then nothing.  I had no game plan after that.  

Hopefully you've had time now to regroup and work on your game. I say go back and complete the adventure. Last time I went, probably 2000, there was a shit load of girls that looked to be around 13. If anyone objects just tell 'em you got unfinished business and to fuck off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Thinking the wife and I might make a visit next month.  Is the flash pass worth it?  Pro tips? Parking? etc..

I wouldn't think it'd be that necessary with the low attendance.  We went to the Dallas Zoo last month and there was an avg of about .33 persons at each exhibit.

Also the longest line at Hurricane Harbor was about 10 mins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2020 at 9:48 AM, Antidean said:

The first time I went was ~1965 as a kid. I remember getting one of those sweet straw hats with a little fake alligator on it.

Wish I could find a pic.

??? I vaguely recall such a thing in the 70s..

vintage-kitsch-miami-beach-florida_1_6047a5cb36cb4c71a87fed08b638748a.thumb.jpg.0a7ec5e7f808a759debcc38d0a8856c3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/28/2020 at 10:05 AM, SimonBolivar said:

Yes Speelunker's Cave become Yosemite Sam in 1991-1992 so like you I only grew up with Yosemite Sam (which closed in 2018). A lot of the SFoT die hards are still upset with the change or at least they were in the early 2000s when I was obsessed with theme parks.

 

Here is a neat little site dedicated to former attractions.

https://guidetosfot.com/features/rideretrospective/

Skull Island... Man.. sometimes I wondered if I concocted that place in my fucked up childhood imagination.

Also, I know it was all racist and shit but I loved Casa Magnetica and all the Mexican shit as a kid. The Sombrero was my shit when I was too small to get on the rides for "big kids". Spinnaker too. 

Edit - "Maria" has really peaked my interest.

Edited by BurntEyes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Hopefully you've had time now to regroup and work on your game. I say go back and complete the adventure. Last time I went, probably 2000, there was a shit load of girls that looked to be around 13. If anyone objects just tell 'em you got unfinished business and to fuck off.

pMN63VrhmGI0mcU80JyTLODTEaE9J-vIp4txnN5z
 

Yeah, not my thing. They could be my granddaughters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be too young, but I don't recall Casa Magnetica at all.  I do recall seeing something like this at a place near Austin - Natural Bridge Caverns?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Hopefully you've had time now to regroup and work on your game. I say go back and complete the adventure. Last time I went, probably 2000, there was a shit load of girls that looked to be around 13. If anyone objects just tell 'em you got unfinished business and to fuck off.

Can you elaborate on this, please? Seems a little adolescent rapey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 5:23 PM, BigDHornfan said:

On my 2nd day, we walked in to start the day and a rat had fallen into one of the chicken fryers and the manager scooped it out, and started cooking chicken.

that hot oil killed any and all bacteria that came off that rat.  what’s there to worry about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hate said:

Can you elaborate on this, please? Seems a little adolescent rapey.

I don't know, if he can get past just finding out what time it is he'll have made progress. No need to let your mind wander off the rails. Maybe a simple ride thru the Spelunker with some hand holding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I may be too young, but I don't recall Casa Magnetica at all.  I do recall seeing something like this at a place near Austin - Natural Bridge Caverns?

It was a weird little house built on strange angles to disorient you and they used hidden magnets to make stuff defy gravity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RPM said:

It was a weird little house built on strange angles to disorient you and they used hidden magnets to make stuff defy gravity.

I remember that, It was there as of mid-90s, but was rarely open. One time in HS, I drove there from East Texas with my cousin, but by the time we got there, it was raining like crazy. The rain cleared out by noon and we had the park nearly to ourselves. made for a good day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://guidetosfot.com/features/rideretrospective/

Man I remember that La Cucaracha roller coaster, the first ever at Six Flags.  Scared the shit out me because the front wheels of those individual cars sat back about 12 to 16 inches from the front and there were several 90 degree turns on it. The front end would literally go out over the edge before it would turn. You would certainly get the feeling it was going off of the track. It was cool. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I may be too young, but I don't recall Casa Magnetica at all.  I do recall seeing something like this at a place near Austin - Natural Bridge Caverns?

Sounds more like something they would have a Wonder World in San Marcos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Sounds more like something they would have a Wonder World in San Marcos.

That was probably it.  I believe there was a train ride through a cave to a petting zoo as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That was probably it.  I believe there was a train ride through a cave to a petting zoo as well.

 

That is definitely Wonder World in San Marcos, and they do have one of those optical illusion/perspective rooms built on an angle that makes it appear that things roll uphill etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 9:19 PM, BurntEyes said:

??? I vaguely recall such a thing in the 70s..

vintage-kitsch-miami-beach-florida_1_6047a5cb36cb4c71a87fed08b638748a.thumb.jpg.0a7ec5e7f808a759debcc38d0a8856c3.jpg

Close, but not the one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 9:17 AM, Steamboat1874 said:

https://guidetosfot.com/features/rideretrospective/

Man I remember that La Cucaracha roller coaster, the first ever at Six Flags.  Scared the shit out me because the front wheels of those individual cars sat back about 12 to 16 inches from the front and there were several 90 degree turns on it. The front end would literally go out over the edge before it would turn. You would certainly get the feeling it was going off of the track. It was cool. 

 

What was the Sky Hook at SF?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2020 at 12:28 PM, RPM said:

7ae73d6ac432a659805d8440a0a30331.jpg

Pretty close to the first time I went, 1969.

This takes me back. I had a similar map of 6 Flags in Atlanta left over from when my cousins got to go there. My side of the family was broke as hell, and we'd go ten miles down the road to swim in a little "lake" where somebody had dammed up a creek. At home I'd lie on the floor and study that map, with all its "historical" sections. It was a few years before I achieved the dream and got to go there.

Looking back, now, I'd rather make some sandwiches and drive over to that little lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

This takes me back. I had a similar map of 6 Flags in Atlanta left over from when my cousins got to go there. My side of the family was broke as hell, and we'd go ten miles down the road to swim in a little "lake" where somebody had dammed up a creek. At home I'd lie on the floor and study that map, with all its "historical" sections. It was a few years before I achieved the dream and got to go there.

Looking back, now, I'd rather make some sandwiches and drive over to that little lake.

I grew up extremely poor as well.  Six Flags may as well have been Disney World France for our family.

Anyway, parents randomly  take us to a restaurant one morning called Po Folks in N. Dallas.  Eating out was extremely rare.  We're eating and they pull one a "*Chloe" and tell us to hurry up as we're headed to Six Flags.  I'll never forget that day.

*Obscure reference to the video from the meme (below).

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember Po' Folks well. Would drop in there in the 80s and get the red beans and rice, which was pocket change if you left out the sausage. Waitstaff could never believe I wasn't adding the sausage, not knowing I had about 11 cents over the price of the plain red beans and rice.

Hope I tipped em the extra change. Probably didn't, little self-centered, self-pitying lazy asshole that I was.

I say lazy, because even though almost broke, I could have bought all the fixings in a grocery store (including the meat) for less than a cheap restaurant meal, and just cooked it myself. but I was UPPITY poor.

Or just worked harder, and bought a damn steak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I remember Po' Folks well. Would drop in there in the 80s and get the red beans and rice, which was pocket change if you left out the sausage. Waitstaff could never believe I wasn't adding the sausage, not knowing I had about 11 cents over the price of the plain red beans and rice.

Hope I tipped em the extra change. Probably didn't, little self-centered, self-pitying lazy asshole that I was.

I say lazy, because even though almost broke, I could have bought all the fixings in a grocery store (including the meat) for less than a cheap restaurant meal, and just cooked it myself. but I was UPPITY poor.

Or just worked harder, and bought a damn steak.

44541035.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2020 at 1:32 PM, futureman said:

some of the funnest days of my life were at six flags.  2nd semester senior year of high school my buddy and I had season passes and we skipped school probably 10 times in april and may and would go out and get hammered on cheap whiskey in the parking lot in the morning and rip a huge bowl then go ride the giant for a few hours on repeat because the park was empty.  we’d get stamped and hit the parking lot again and drink more and rip more bowls, then go back in and ride more rides with no lines, leave at 6 and get blacked out in the parking lot and rip more bowls and then stumble across the parking lot to watch the rangers that night and eat about 8 hot dogs.  never forget those days. 


You were livin' the dream, man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2020 at 2:32 PM, futureman said:

some of the funnest days of my life were at six flags.  2nd semester senior year of high school my buddy and I had season passes and we skipped school probably 10 times in april and may and would go out and get hammered on cheap whiskey in the parking lot in the morning and rip a huge bowl then go ride the giant for a few hours on repeat because the park was empty.  we’d get stamped and hit the parking lot again and drink more and rip more bowls, then go back in and ride more rides with no lines, leave at 6 and get blacked out in the parking lot and rip more bowls and then stumble across the parking lot to watch the rangers that night and eat about 8 hot dogs.  never forget those days. 

If I outlive my wife, this is how I’m spending every single summer day of my retirement....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Member berries are strong in here... told this story somewhere else but as a kid I remember going to Fiesta Texas with my sister and 4 of our cousins. Parents just basically let us loose in the park for the day. We got hungry but had almost no money, so we went to one of the fountains, leaned over the edge and all started fishing out the change people had thrown in with our hands. Surprising number of quarters thrown in there. Eventually we found enough money to buy one turkey leg, and we shared it among the 6 of us. Most mexican thing I’ve ever done probably. To this day it’s one of my all-time favorite memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moved here to Dallas in '02 and I remember Six Flags being most fun at Halloween time. Not blazing hot and people dressed as zombies jumping out at you from the dark shadows after sundown. Although I did get banned from the haunted houses after one of the workers grabbed my arm in the pitch black and I instinctively reacted and chicken winged him in the face.

Went in 2018 and they had some fun new rides. The Riddler one that's a giant pendulum is damn fun and the Joker one isn't bad. The tall ass swings where the parachute ride used to be were pretty good too. Around 2003 when I was a 16 yr old british kid using my funny accent getting a little hange in the Looney Tunes cave on a school trip is a damn good memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...