2020-21 Big XII Basketball Thread

14 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So despite not caring Barnes manage to fall ass backwards into 6 Big 12 tourney championships games.

He had some pretty talented rosters.  My impression was that he seemed to not give a fuck about the conference tournament as well.

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

He had some pretty talented rosters.  My impression was that he seemed to not give a fuck about the conference tournament as well.

You got that impression so you could justify the fact that we kept losing. We also didn’t seem to give a fuck in the NCAA tournament, either. Except Tj’s year.

Edited by justhookit

10 hours ago, 'stache said:

Their house beers are pretty good but very average compared to several others in town. Not sure how long you’re staying, but definitely try Marshall, Cabin Boys, and/or American Solera. Now that I think of it I’m pretty sure I was there a few years ago during an ISU tourney game and there were Cyclone fans there cheering their asses off, it was enjoyable.

+1 on the Cabin Boys, to the point that it was a brew  I randomly tried on an overnight in OKC and it  stood out.  We go through there to visit our son in Missouri, and the Cabin Boys Bearded Theologian is part of the trip.  The Kolsch is good too.

17 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Is it possible that impression is due to the fact that he never won one? Seems odd to make the finals so many times for a coach that “doesn’t care.”

And what does that even mean? Did they not practice before? Didn’t scout/game plan? Tell the team not to try hard?

I think it’s just the fact that there were lots of really good teams in the conference, including a top 5 elite national power, and he was just never able to win the championship game.

2 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Woot! Congrats to UT, way to go. I feel like the top 7 teams in this conference are all legitimately capable of making deep runs, gonna be fun to watch.

It’ll be interesting—the Big 12 has been known to really fall apart come tournament time. I don’t see OU making any noise. Not looking real solid for KU, WVU  or Tech for making noise either. I’d peg Texas and Baylor as best bets, but have OSU as a true wild card as Sweet 16 and farther teams. The other four look too beat up or just not as good as they had been at certain points this season. Usually, that makes teams ripe for upsets by mid majors.

18 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I love you, man, but this is dumb.

5 out of 8 Sweet 16 or better, we were rolling and then he started cheating on his wife and found God.

Funny his best team ever was bounced early from the conference tourney and that’s where the narrative started he didn’t care about it. Really? That super competitive fuck was ok with losing? Nah

Edited by Revolution512

6 hours ago, JWinTX said:

It’ll be interesting—the Big 12 has been known to really fall apart come tournament time. I don’t see OU making any noise. Not looking real solid for KU, WVU  or Tech for making noise either. I’d peg Texas and Baylor as best bets, but have OSU as a true wild card as Sweet 16 and farther teams. The other four look too beat up or just not as good as they had been at certain points this season. Usually, that makes teams ripe for upsets by mid majors.

Anything can happen in the Big Dance and there’s not a lot of experience with osu among the coaching staff / zero among the players...which definitely matters in March.  

However I’m not going to put too much stock into last night as far as predicting how OSU will do in the tourney given the circumstances, see 0/9 from 3 in the first half on tired pins against a fresh and motivated horns squad.  Texas played pretty much up to potential last night and I hope that continues.  Baylor can be vulnerable when the 3’s aren’t going in.  Despite Kansas flameout history, I’m hesitant to count out Self until it’s over. 

That’s why you play the game.  

Big 12 and B1G beat each other up, making themselves look better.  The conference actually had good OOC wins too - Creighton, LSU, Arkansas, UNC, Alabama, Illinois. 

But man, we just didn't put it together for the tournament.  Disappointing.

Neither did the B1G. 

I would say that at least our losses aren't quite as embarrassing, I guess.  They had half of the top 8 seeds and only one of those schools made the Sweet 16.

I really do need to stop betting on WVU in March though.  I always think their style should translate well against schools that never play them, and it never does.  I should have paid more attention to them being grouped with Boeheim too.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I would say that at least our losses aren't quite as embarrassing, I guess.  They had half of the top 8 seeds and only one of those schools made the Sweet 16.

I really do need to stop betting on WVU in March though.  I always think their style should translate well against schools that never play them, and it never does.  I should have paid more attention to them being grouped with Boeheim too.

WVU gets officiated way fucking differently in the tournament as opposed to league play

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No doubt about that.  They also seem to just be shittier on offense too.

I think they look shitty comparatively, because the teams they're playing in the Big XII don't look as good offensively (when playing WVU) because of how WVU is allowed to play.  It's as though they're not as good when they aren't allowed to beat people to death on the other end of the floor.   

3 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I think they look shitty comparatively, because the teams they're playing in the Big XII don't look as good offensively (when playing WVU) because of how WVU is allowed to play.  It's as though they're not as good when they aren't allowed to beat people to death on the other end of the floor.   

KU fits that description as well.

Look, this conference will never get love in anything if f’ing Baylor carries the water. It didn’t when they won in football and it won’t in men’s basketball. Nobody cares about women’s basketball except them.

• Like 1