• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

32 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Bijan could win a Heisman in Kubiak's offense.  I have no idea how the rest of the team would look - but I know that we would run the hell out of the ball.

And Card running a bootleg  with Sanders/Wiley acting as the Owen Daniels/Julius Thomas with TroyO running the Andre Johnson/Demaryius Thomas deep cross...the offense would absolutely work. I hated Kubiak with the Texans...but Schaub limited that offense and he still passed for a billion yards. This idea is REALLY growing on me and also makes me  want to vomit

Pros-

-Proven offense

-Has won in that past (4 rings including 1 as a headcoach)

-Zone running will win Bijan a fucking heisman...his upside is a better Arian Foster/Dalvin Cook and that's not hyperbole

-Is a great relator and overall charismatic dude, could play well with recruits and absolutely will kill it with parents

-Has  a deep rolodex of coaches and is well connected

-QBs will love to play for him and he can mask deficiencies in the OL with his zone blocking scheme

-Wouldnt be the long  term guy but could absolutely help locate the next guy and  stabilize things

Cons-

-Hasnt touched the college game since he  was a position coach for aggy decades ago

-aggy

-Older with health issues... but this would be viewed   as a stop gap anyway IMO

-No clue how he would recruit. Would need to bring some rainmakers with him

-I dont like his face and its  hard to look past his time with  the texans

Hell idk...at this point its just me trying rationalize whether we run headfirst imto a  pile ofshit or we  jump into abarrell ofsshi...either way we are going to get covered in  shit...just need to figure. It was Urban or bust..now here we are

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I cannot handle even the notion of this school hiring a milquetoast dipshit like Gary Kubiag. What scares me is that we might be living in The Matrix and the hiring of Kubiag at Texas is exactly what would happen in The Matrix because it hates us and wants us to be miserable. 

I don't give one fuck what Nahlin, Hamilton, or anyone else wants to rationalize about Kubiag. He'd be a laughable failure at Texas and ensures another half decade+ of our irrelevance and laughingstock status as a program. Christ.

I'm curious why you are so down on the idea and how you are so convinced he'd be a failure. I know you are privy to more information than someone who just surfs the net for info like I and most other do. 

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Maybe the college game is perfect for him - he can't start a QB for more than 4 years.

I'm not advocating for Kubs, but we'd always have a good QB. The top ones will want to come play for him, and they'd be coached right when they did. Receivers and OL would follow. RBs. It's just all of the other stuff that would worry me.

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Hell idk...at this point its just me trying rationalize whether we run headfirst imto a  pile ofshit or we  jump into abarrell ofsshi...either way we are going to get covered in  shit...just need to figure. It was Urban or bust..now here we are

Yep.  I can convince myself that every option is a great option at this point.

I'm like one of those suburban housewives with the shitty hashtags on their gram photos:

#teamTraylor #teamKubiak #teamNapier #teamMullen #teamElliot #teamCampbell #teamTeamwork #teamTrusttree #teamjustgoingdaybyday #teameveryoneisawinner

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

There would absolutely be growing pains, but he's one of the few candidates with real growth potential beyond what he is right now. I think Napier has already gone through those for the most part and is probably ready for a bigger job, but this is all guesswork for me because none of these guys have ever been in my kitchen.

Mrs. Idiotsavant might have something to say about that. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Where does everybody fall on Billy Napier? Spent time at Clemson and Alabama. Beat Matt Campbell's ass this season.

I'd take him over Herman.  Heard him on the radio, sharp guy, enthusiastic, very authentic.  And he's been around successful guys.  I actually don't mind Napier.  Seems driven.

I’m definitely living in the Matrix where we are actually discussing Gary F.  Kubiak. 

Cons- 

He would suck at recruiting and relating to high school players. He would largely ignore the defense and be a vapid cunt to all of the alumni and BMDs. He has significant health issues that would limit his involvement in some aspects of the program. He would likely be a gigantic failure at the college level. 

Pros- 

He would design good running plays and zone blocking schemes. At least for the first 2-3 years before his lack of recruiting would sink his own offense. He also might die on the job which could limit our buyout exposure. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m definitely living in the Matrix where we are actually discussing Gary F.  Kubiak. 

Cons- 

He would suck at recruiting and relating to high school players. He would largely ignore the defense and be a vapid cunt to all if the alumni and BMDs. He has significant health issues that would limit his involvement in some aspects of the program. He would likely be a gigantic failure at the college level. 

Pros- 

He would design good running plays and zone blocking schemes. At least for the first 2-3 years before his lack of recruiting would sink his own offensive. He also might die on the job which could limit our buyout exposure. 

Didn't we used to crush Nunez and Greg Davis on zone blocking?  "we get the best athletes, let's just put hat on hat and wear the opponent down"  I seem to remember that

1 minute ago, The Dog said:

I'm curious why you are so down on the idea and how you are so convinced he'd be a failure. I know you are privy to more information than someone who just surfs the net for info like I and most other do. 

I'm not privy to anything regarding the future for Kubiag or anyone else that winds up coaching at Texas, any more than you or anyone else. I just don't see what would have anyone inspired about the guy. 

1) He hasn't recruited or coached in CFB in forever. He's going to know who to hire for recruiting purposes? Right.

2) His offense at the pro level means dick at the college level. This isn't some genius I'd expect to figure it out quickly, either.

3) The guy is as interesting and dynamic as drying paint. That's going to play in living rooms, press conferences and meet and greets? Right.

4) He's literally a mouth-breathing aggie. How is that not an issue? He's simply not an overly intelligent guy. An NFL lifer who knows nothing outside of that bubble.

So he comes in and the Mannings like him or some shit. So what? He gets a bunch of hype from his NFL background by guys in the press, who are the same guys that will then immediately begin denigrating his every move as well. Then he tries to play Turtle Tom/NFL football by getting a two score lead in games and taking the air out of the football. How's that going to play in the Big 12? 

It's a fucktarded premise. I shit on the Herman hire from the jump. I knew Chuckles was going to be a complete failure the minute it became obvious he was set on bringing in Shawn Watson and playing charades about chasing others to do it. I'd like to at least feel like there's some element of hope and growth with the next guy, for at least one offseason. Gary Kubiag shows up with old man stink and completely stales up the entire football program. Honestly, give me another year of Tom Herman, which isn't happening, versus Gary fucking Kubiag. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I am curious why anyone would think hiring a shitty coach who would be doomed from the start is a good idea, but we've done it repeatedly in my lifetime.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm not privy to anything regarding the future for Kubiag or anyone else that winds up coaching at Texas, any more than you or anyone else. I just don't see what would have anyone inspired about the guy. 

1) He hasn't recruited or coached in CFB in forever. He's going to know who to hire for recruiting purposes? Right.

2) His offense at the pro level means dick at the college level. This isn't some genius I'd expect to figure it out quickly, either.

3) The guy is as interesting and dynamic as drying paint. That's going to play in living rooms, press conferences and meet and greets? Right.

4) He's literally a mouth-breathing aggie. How is that not an issue? He's simply not an overly intelligent guy. An NFL lifer who knows nothing outside of that bubble.

So he comes in and the Mannings like him or some shit. So what? He gets a bunch of hype from his NFL background by guys in the press, who are the same guys that will then immediately begin denigrating his every move as well. Then he tries to play Turtle Tom/NFL football by getting a two score lead in games and taking the air out of the football. How's that going to play in the Big 12? 

It's a fucktarded premise. I shit on the Herman hire from the jump. I knew Chuckles was going to be a complete failure the minute it became obvious he was set on bringing in Shawn Watson and playing charades about chasing others to do it. I'd like to at least feel like there's some element of hope and growth with the next guy, for at least one offseason. Gary Kubiag shows up with old man stink and completely stales up the entire football program. Honestly, give me another year of Tom Herman, which isn't happening, versus Gary fucking Kubiag. 

Have you heard who is the leader in the clubhouse?  Are they gonna wait till we flame out on Mullen?  I know you may be unable to share or may not have anything to share, just curious.  I feel like with Harbaugh staying, we may have our sites set on Campbell, who I think will be better than Herm.

how would you rank, or tier the realistic names out there?

So besides Urban, who are your realistic choices for the next Head Coach at TEXAS??

I almost look at Kubiak as a 3 year stopgap who is the choice if we don't like the alternatives available. Pair with an elite staff and recruiters, stabilize the program, then move on. With the right infrastructure behind him, I think he'd recruit fine. Better than a lame duck staff for sure. Walking into a living room with 4 SB rings and dialing up Steve Young, Elway, or Manning is a pretty persuasive pitch all on its own. Run game would be excellent, so just make sure he has an elite DC, OC, and recruiters with that war chest of HC salary savings. 2-3 years later, promote a coordinator or pull a more attractive candidate who's available at the time

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I almost look at Kubiak as a 3 year stopgap who is the choice if we don't like the alternatives available. Pair with an elite staff and recruiters, stabilize the program, then move on. With the right infrastructure behind him, I think he'd recruit fine. Better than a lame duck staff for sure. Walking into a living room with 4 SB rings and dialing up Steve Young, Elway, or Manning is a pretty persuasive pitch all on its own. Run game would be excellent, so just make sure he has an elite DC, OC, and recruiters with that war chest of HC salary savings. 2-3 years later, promote a coordinator or pull a more attractive candidate who's available at the time

Kub "I played with Elway, coached Young, Manning and Schaub"

Players parent "wait Schaub? Who?"

Kub "yep, got him to the pro bowl."

2 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

Hoping Kubiak and most of the IT list are red herrings.  Or 9.95 ass-pulls.

While I agree in general, IT is by far the most plugged in outlet covering Texas right now, and it's not even close.  Burton has legit connections at the top and the other IT guys are more plugged in with players/parents than any other source, plus Gerry has really good national connections, including agents.  Their potential coaching list is going to be more accurate than any other outlet.

9 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Kubiak gives me Mike Sherman at A&M vibes, except with more nepotism and being a way worse culture fit at Texas.  I don't think there's anyway I could convince myself that he'd work or get even remotely excited for next season.  I could almost maaaybe talk myself into him if it were a few years earlier and he had some wunderkind at OC, like Kevin Stefanski, but instead we'll get Klint Kubiak, who's only accomplishment in life is climbing the nepotism ladder.  Seriously, Klint has coached at A&M, Denver (when his dad was there) and Minnesota.  Even if Gary somehow succeeded, he'd do everything in his power to hand the program off to his idiot son who would assuredly run it into the ground anyways. 

19 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Where does everybody fall on Billy Napier? Spent time at Clemson and Alabama. Beat Matt Campbell's ass this season.

Better than Herman, but watching some of ULL's games this year, he's able to get by baffling coaching decisions with talent. The App State game is a good example of that.

Also, the Traylor talk is odd to me. Could he succeed? Sure, if everything hits right. However, we've seen how bad things can go when you don't hit everything right and how a HC is more than just assembling a staff. Way too early to go for him, and the Nix investigation is something that I think some people are forgetting. 

Either way, I think someone mentioned earlier that CDC identifies coaches who have built a program twice. Neither of them qualify for that distinction.

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Its a real kick in the dick that we have been so bad for so long that we don't have any real coaching pipeline to draw from.  

I said upthread that I'm at the point that all I have left is the blind optimism of an idiot fan.  So thats what I'm rolling with.  I could be talked into any one of Campbell, Kubiak, Sark, Cristobal, Traylor, Elliot, Venebles,  Napier, (but not Allen - fuck that guy). 

Put them up on the podium next to CDC and I'll be convinced they were the right and best choice for the job.

Why are we out on Allen? He’s one of the most impressive coaches out there, to me. He was a high school coach for a while, which I always think helps coaches relate to other high school coaches. Similar path to the one Traylor is on, though not exact. 

2 hours ago, Fud said:

One of my best friends coached under him in the past, and he told me that Campbell was a Midwest area lifer because he thought that he could recruit and evaluate the best in the area to help him maximize his success, and that his dream jobs were the major programs in the area, with Notre Dame and then Ohio State at the top. He's also content to win and grow as a coach at ISU, but I don't think he wants to be a lifer there because I do think he aspires to win championships, and he can't wait around forever for the stars to align for one of the three or four major jobs in that area, because you never know what those schools will do. 

But I also know that Campbell was interested in the Texas job in the past, and I've heard that Texas has been the one job outside of the region that his piqued his interest. But maybe his thought of coaching at Texas has sourced since then, or maybe the thought of coaching against ISU every year is starting to sink in, I don't know, but if it comes down to it, I think it would be tough to turn Texas down at something near double the current salary, even if money isn't a primary driver. I do think he takes Michigan over Texas or staying at ISU if it opens up, but the Michigan job opening up seems to be up in the air. 

Regarding recruiting ties in the area, it looks like he's been recruiting a little more in Texas lately, with four signees in 2020, and three commits in 2021 (would have been four had Texas not flipped the QB). I could get more granular by looking at offers, but that's probably not worth spending the time for. 

I think he just keeps waiting for one of the 3 between ND, Michigan, or Ohio State.  Ohio State seems unlikely to open any time soon, but even if Michigan extends Harbaugh, it won't be that long, and Kelly's no spring chicken.   If he gets a natty in the next couple years, he probably retires.

None of those jobs require him to coach against ISU on an annual basis, either.

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Why are we out on Allen? He’s one of the most impressive coaches out there, to me. He was a high school coach for a while, which I always think helps coaches relate to other high school coaches. Similar path to the one Traylor is on, though not exact. 

You talking about Randy Allen?  Good coach. Not sure hes ready for UT though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Was out on him when I saw this spot on Gameday a few weeks back. He is just PJ Fleck with glasses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think he just keeps waiting for one of the 3 between ND, Michigan, or Ohio State.  Ohio State seems unlikely to open any time soon, but even if Michigan extends Harbaugh, it won't be that long, and Kelly's no spring chicken.   If he gets a natty in the next couple years, he probably retires.

None of those jobs require him to coach against ISU on an annual basis, either.

Don’t forget Nebraska if Frost doesn’t work out.  He’d be a good fit there too I would think.

5 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Allen is at his dream job, like Pat Fitzgerald and David Shaw 

14 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

He loves Indiana more than Leslie Knope

• Like 2

Why would we go after Tom Allen when there's another "took a historically terrible program to new heights" guy who has done it better, for longer, and actually in our conference and not a dogshit conference that runs 30 year old schemes with a bunch of slow white dudes.

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Don’t forget Nebraska if Frost doesn’t work out.  He’d be a good fit there too I would think.

I don't see that one happening at all.  At this point, I don't know what Nebraska offers him that we don't, frankly.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

ISU to Nebraska will never be a lateral move. 

He's already turned down interviews with Tennessee and Florida State.  Maybe ISU isn't a better job than Nebraska, but those two certainly could be.

If Campbell ends up at Nebraska, he'll get there the same way Hoiberg did:  by flaming out at his next job and washing up there.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's already turned down interviews with Tennessee and Florida State.  Maybe ISU isn't a better job than Nebraska, but those two certainly could be.

If Campbell ends up at Nebraska, he'll get their the same way Hoiberg did:  by flaming out at his next job and washing up there.

I read somewhere that he had accepted the FSU gig?  Probably wrong, I'm in a haze.

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

If Campbell ends up at Nebraska, he'll get their the same way Hoiberg did:  by flaming out at his next job and washing up there.

Be fair to Hoiberg - he didn't flame out so much as he was paid handsomely to allow himself to be strapped into the shit-filled dumpster fire that is Chicago Bulls basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He's so firmly of that Rust Belt/Great Lakes mindset, that he basically implied when he took the ISU job that it was outside the Midwest.  His stated goal was to make ISU a Big 12 home for Midwest kids, and by Midwest kids he meant Ohio, Michigan, PA.  He's recruited KC area and Oklahoma pretty well too.

As a Midwest native/lifer, I love it here.  Granted, to many in the Midwest, there's kind of two subsets - Great Lakes and Great Plains, and they're fairly different cultures.  I literally live along the line of where the merger/transition occurs.  It works for me, but I can see why others would hate it.

So... he's the coach for simple farmers? Common clay of the Midwest...?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TXpride said:

His chances of winning an NC at Nebraska are no better than at ISU (around 0.0001%). Money would be the only reason to move.

Nebraska is in the easiest division in the B1G with a tradition of championships and Heisman trophies. They have something to sell. ISU has none of that. They just have Matt Campbell. 

39 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I almost look at Kubiak as a 3 year stopgap who is the choice if we don't like the alternatives available. Pair with an elite staff and recruiters, stabilize the program, then move on.

Absolutely will not happen. I would be in open revolt, and I know plenty of others who would be also.

FUCK GARY KUBIAK!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1